What is Ki? Excellent question! Let's start by taking a look at what Ki strike is.
So we can Gather that : Ki Is a Super Natural ability, and is a subtle energy. supernatural ability
Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance. Supernatural abilities cannot be dispelled. Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise and generally does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Supernatural abilities may have a use limit or be usable at will, just like spell-like abilities. However, supernatural abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity and never require Concentration checks. Unless otherwise noted, a supernatural ability has an effective caster level equal to the creature's Hit Dice. The saving throw (if any) against a supernatural ability is 10 + 1/2 the creature's HD + the creature's ability modifier (usually Charisma).
Chakra
What is Chakra? Another Excellent Question. Let's take a look at how traditional dnd explains Chakra.
there is a Psionic class known as the Soul Manifester that is noted to use Chakra.
It appears that Chakra is an energy that can be manifested in to key locations on the body.
Now we get to the fun part. I've seen a lot of chakra / ki rp and it's been all over the place. I would like to propose a rather defined manner in explain Chakra and Ki for Monks and how they work to see if this can be our accepted home brew take on it for Amia.
Proposal
Thoughts? Discuss.
_________________
❤ Amia is Fun Again! ❤ #GreenisNotACreativeColour "It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."
I think it's a good inquiry into the nature of the Ki, and by way of that, the whole class. Even if there's no need to settle on any fixed explanation for Ki and Monkiness in general, it bears some discussion, as does the source of magic and technique of other classes. At worst, we would get some insight into how the Monk class could potentially be roleplayed, and that doesn't sound too bad at all.
For me, this information would seem a bit tedious to learn and roleplay to a degree I could be personally satisfied with, but I would buy that the insight of the Chakras is what makes the monk do what they do, whether my own character was privy to the bookish study of the art or only to the intuitive know-how.
I wonder, what are your own thoughts on this PassionateShadow? I assume you find this particularly interesting because you brought this up?
_________________ Every time you clock in the morning, I feel you just want to kill All my innocence while ignoring my purpose to persevere as a better person I know you heard this and probably in fear -Kendrick Lamar, good kid
To my knowledge Magic of the Incarnum, which discusses soulmelds, borrows the term chakra to describe binding points on the body where a soulmeld will have additional effects. At least as far as soulmelds are concerned, the source material describes chakras as slots, not energy.
Like the above posters have said, the fluff is each player's own prerogative and they are welcome and encouraged to borrow ideas from buddhist tradition in describing their class.
Chakra per Incarnum has nothing to do with Ki and monk energy. IT's completely different.
On a subjective level, Incarnum's not a very well thought out system and shouldn't be wholesale tacked onto a core class, either, imho... It's also not Psionic and has nothing to do with Psionics. It's in its own sourcebook called Magic of Incarnum. The class you've linked is one of 3.5's many gish classes that take two magic types and mix them together, like how Mystic Thuerge mixes Arcane and Divine.
I don't think Ki needs such a rigid, strict definition OOCly. In the future, also as a subjective statement, could you please make these posts without color blips all over the place? It makes it difficult to read.
PS: Ki can be both Supernatural and Extraordinary. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm See the list of abilities here. Some are supernatural, but others are extraordinary, even ones you might expect to be supernatural, like Diamond Soul, or Perfect Self. I actually think it's an interesting distinction
_________________ Davion Telemos - Monk of the Four Winds Korthan Isharnos - Dragon Shaman of Thunder Spirit Zamasham
I agree with Tormak on this one. As a long time player of a monk, I'm not a fan of the idea of setting a solid set ideal as to how monks obtain and control their power. I like to think there are several different ways of achieving the same goal, and it depends on the monastery or individual monk on how they've got there.
The definition of Chakras in our real world and in D&D via Magic of Incarnum are quite different as well. Magic of Incarnum defines Chakras as basically being in the same places where magic items work, and in a way explain why you can't have more than one magic item working in the same place. Personally I believe this makes more sense for the D&D universe.
Chakra binds which you talked about would contradict your proposal of where chakras are. (Such as feet and hands). And the sense behind Chakra binding I believe is binding a magical effect to an area one would normally wear a magic item (and when done, magic items no longer work there because there's already a magic effect in place.)
I do not object to the traditional real world definition of Chakras and Ki being used. Like I said, as I see it it's a matter of training. Vera herself has a rather unique explanation of her powers which is far more practically minded due to how she was trained, as she speaks more of using Ki to manipulate vibrations rather than a more spiritual energy approach.
I personally like ICly (and OOCly) learning of different monks views on Ki and Chakras. Vera doesn't think the speaker is incorrect if their views differ from her own. She just believes it another interpretation. And I think that's how things should remain.
I'm also one to think fluff like this is player-lead to what extent their PC uses it, or if they use it differently.
However, when we start bordering stuff like Psionics, then we might have to put our foot down and ask for a request. Luckily, before I am met with knee-jerked responses, no actives PCs has strayed to this. It's just an example.
_________________
"Operating in the border between light and darkness, shadowdancers are nimble artists of deception. They are mysterious and unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder when met"
Joined: 12 Nov 2015 Location: The belly of the beast
It's your fluff. Do it. Why even limit it to any class at this point? Ki for all!
(Please don't take that seriously guys)
All things aside. What needs defined is what Ki does, What it can't do ect. I wont go into it, but there are some seriously fantastic claims out there.
_________________ Jace Fenneril: Cleric of Sharess.
Ki is just another subjective way to fluff things, due to how vague anything is on it, and that I have played a few monks for a good amount of time to get into this topic a lot.
I've got to the point where if asked IC, my character tends to answer simply with that no two monks ki is the same in its limits, directions or boundaries. We may all be able to do certain things, in different ways, it is all down to the individual. It's fact that there are base techniques like Stunning Fist. I've seen PCs treat that as a straight up heavy blow to the head, on the flip side some use pressure points, and again some use ki. Even at base, stuff varies massively. Why take any of that away from them by adding some preset boundary to lore RP.
We have rules as to the effects of on death abilities as far as I'm aware, such as QP or Death Arrow, or Bone Touch, and that's that the ability doesn't perma, regardless of what fancy fluff the players want to do.
If something is ki based can weapon masters get/use it? They are a ki based class with ki based class features.
Yes - but it's my opinion that while monk stuff is likely more body centered and 'utilitarian', WM stuff should be more about affecting the outside world or channeled through the weapon. That's me tho.
_________________ Davion Telemos - Monk of the Four Winds Korthan Isharnos - Dragon Shaman of Thunder Spirit Zamasham
If something is ki based can weapon masters get/use it? They are a ki based class with ki based class features.
Yes - but it's my opinion that while monk stuff is likely more body centered and 'utilitarian', WM stuff should be more about affecting the outside world or channeled through the weapon. That's me tho.
Well that's whats nice about 'normalizing' and 'defining' ki.
Joined: 12 Nov 2015 Location: The belly of the beast
My point is we have already normalized magic here. Even so much as barring the use of conventional spells that exist without having to "fluff" anything.
_________________ Jace Fenneril: Cleric of Sharess.
That's because the setting and the game has normalized magic.
Ki has not been, and honestly doesn't need to be, save to say that "chakra" and incarnum, as well as psionics, have absolutely nothing to do with Ki in our setting.
_________________ Davion Telemos - Monk of the Four Winds Korthan Isharnos - Dragon Shaman of Thunder Spirit Zamasham
Joined: 20 Apr 2008 Location: The downeaster "Alexa"
I've always wanted to steal the concept of chakra or mana for something that would basically be taking arcane magic and channeling it internally. When I think of Ki, being a child of the 90's, I think of DBZ shit: blasting balls of energy, flying, hugely visible auras. That's not at all what D&D's Ki is for the most part; instead, it is a lot more subtle. Thus, this new mana/chakra form of taking arcane energy, internalizing it, and firing it back out in more raw, un-stilted forms would be there for playing things from them there Annie Mays, what with the Narutos, them Bleachers, and the Yu Yu Hackysack.
That being said, I think the concept of chakra points in general is something better left to fluff, only because I feel like it could be relevant for multiple magic systems, not just ki. Maybe arcanists call it something different, maybe divine users call them something different, but the concept of points on the body corresponding to and being used in the rote of using abilities is something I find cool for everyone. Monks, mages, clerics, even ki users like WM.
_________________
You think Magic is your ally... but you merely adopted the Art. He was born in it. Molded by it. Sometimes, an angel is simply a devil with better intentions.
Joined: 20 Apr 2008 Location: The downeaster "Alexa"
TormakSaber wrote:
I don't think we should be encouraging our monks to act like Naruto, Bleach, and Yu Yu Hakusho.
Commie wrote:
Or that chakra/ki = spells.
Did... either of you read my post? I was saying that Ki in D&D is nothing like [listed animoos]. And no where did I say that chakra or ki would be considered a spell.
I said I think the concept of chakra points, points on the body through which someone channels a specific energy, whatever that energy is, is a cool idea that could apply again to a number of concepts. Hence, I'd not want to see Chakra Points be explicitly drafted into lore as something specifically relating to Ki. That would then cut the idea of these points meaning anything to anyone else(I.E., "you don't use Ki, you can't use the concept of chakra points").
And again, if someone wanted to act like [listed weeabooness], my own idea would be something that just takes magic(arcane or divine) and uses it in a different way. That, if anything, is encouraging our mages and clerics to act like anime folk more than monks, who do not have arcane sources or divine sources.
_________________
You think Magic is your ally... but you merely adopted the Art. He was born in it. Molded by it. Sometimes, an angel is simply a devil with better intentions.
Really though monks who pursue the "wisdom" aspect of monk should be able to work out and build requests. See the new moon for an example.
I dig high-magic things immensely, I almost peed my pants when the game Divinity: Original Sin had the spell Become Air. It is basically their version of the Concealment buff, but becoming air is a much cooler concept than becoming concealed, whatever that means; I suppose Imp Invis could be roleplayed in a similar fashion, but it wouldn't instill the same references.
I'm intrigued, what do you mean by "monks who pursue the 'wisdom' aspect" and by "able to work out and build requests"? Could you link the new moon?
_________________ Every time you clock in the morning, I feel you just want to kill All my innocence while ignoring my purpose to persevere as a better person I know you heard this and probably in fear -Kendrick Lamar, good kid
Really though monks who pursue the "wisdom" aspect of monk should be able to work out and build requests. See the new moon for an example.
I dig high-magic things immensely, I almost peed my pants when the game Divinity: Original Sin had the spell Become Air. It is basically their version of the Concealment buff, but becoming air is a much cooler concept than becoming concealed, whatever that means; I suppose Imp Invis could be roleplayed in a similar fashion, but it wouldn't instill the same references.
I'm intrigued, what do you mean by "monks who pursue the 'wisdom' aspect" and by "able to work out and build requests"? Could you link the new moon?
New moon is Ahsra and Mathus.
Displacement Illusion (Glamer) Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3 Components: V, M Casting Time: 1 standard action Range: Touch Target: Creature touched Duration: 1 round/level (D) Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless) Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless) The subject of this spell appears to be about 2 feet away from its true location. The creature benefits from a 50% miss chance as if it had total concealment. However, unlike actual total concealment, displacement does not prevent enemies from targeting the creature normally. True seeing reveals its true location.
The new moons were a group of monks who went deep into wisdom and spell resistance in their builds while also doing a very arduous solipsistic and self imposed reservation from the world. Ultimately they requested a spell like ability that allowed them to strip all spells in a persistent AOE. It was awesome. They worked year(s) for it. they basically could on a whim become null magic fields.
It should also never ever ever ever exist again on Amia.
I wouldn't mind it. Did it have the potential for abuse? Hella. Was it actually broken? Ya you bet your bottom.
But RP isn't about balance. Not everything is a weapon. And even if it is a weapon those who have it don't have to use it. Ahsra and Mathus were really responsible with their power. And their RP defined their parameters. A new moon couldn't come to existence without their nihilists brainwashing and that kept it from dangerous hands.
Ultimately it's just an example of what I meant though. Arguably the most poignant.
RP isn't about balance but as devs I have a responsibility to keep everyone on an even keel and not allow certain people to have actual literal gamebreaking things just because their RP was good.
It was allowed to exist because Letum and Council were responsible. Not the PCs. We shouldn't be making those sorts of decisions or allowing things to exist on those grounds.
_________________ Davion Telemos - Monk of the Four Winds Korthan Isharnos - Dragon Shaman of Thunder Spirit Zamasham
I'm saying it's wrong to purposefully introduce imbalance on the condition that it only be given to "Good, responsible players", as defined by the DMs.
I think it's wrong to purposefully introduce imbalance regardless, but I think it's extra wrong to do it simply because you feel those players are 'capable of handling it' or 'responsible'. That's a very dangerous road to walk down.
_________________ Davion Telemos - Monk of the Four Winds Korthan Isharnos - Dragon Shaman of Thunder Spirit Zamasham
I'm saying it's wrong to purposefully introduce imbalance on the condition that it only be given to "Good, responsible players", as defined by the DMs.
I think it's wrong to purposefully introduce imbalance regardless, but I think it's extra wrong to do it simply because you feel those players are 'capable of handling it' or 'responsible'. That's a very dangerous road to walk down.
Yup. Not to mention the new moons specifically simply could not lose against some classes. If they showed up and you were a full cleric or wizard or druid you essentially had to do what they said because you had nothing you could do against them. I think it even depolymorphed you.
It was so dumb, and if something is available to one person it needs to be available to everyone. If you can't trust virtually everyone with content, it should not be around.
Suddenly, we're trying to make sense of something that in of itself has contradicts itself sevenfold and perverts any ideals that are shamanic. I think this topic should be backed off from. If you try to define the stupid mess that is dnd, your going to destroy any and all story and create a Facist environment. Right now, there is cotton candy, water purifiers, and other modern things in the game world which their very existants contradicts the canon of the world. So, why, of all things, destroy something that is actually providing some sort of palpable story to the server?
_________________ "A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."
I think a Ki Jump technique would be cool. I mean, it's not like a hasted monk would be getting anywhere much faster by 'flying' than if he just ran, anyway. And the Flight Widget is really more of a glide/long jump widget in the first place. It's not like characters with wings can mechanically continuously fly (They have to RP it out, I believe).
I recall that I had planned a request for something similar a long while ago, but never got around to it.
On track though, I think it's good to encourage monks to dive deeper into the nature of their abilities, but there are probably ways to do it without restricting others' fluff too!
Abundant Step (Su) At 12th level or higher, a monk can slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door, once per day. Her caster level for this effect is one-half her monk level (rounded down). Source - SRD http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm#abundantStep
I've asked a long time ago about Abundant Step and always been told nope. Shadow jump and flight only. I'm unclear on what the reasoning for that is, but I'd love if they changed it ^.^ Staff right now is different from staff back then, afterall. But I won't get my hopes up, heh.
Joined: 20 Apr 2008 Location: The downeaster "Alexa"
I'm pretty sure no more avenues for that will be opened up until we retool our areas to avoid unreachable cliffs. Which we should do anyway, because spawns sometimes get trapped on these cliffs too, leading to problematic situations.
Honestly, before we add any more class-specific widgets, I'd love to see a set of playertool abilities that would be available to everyone by default. One of these would be a Jump ability, which would essentially just be a reverse Rope widget that rolls a strength check verses the vertical and horizontal distance. That solves basically every issue with not proliferating more "teleporting" abilities. But first we'd need to take the proper countermeasures like fixing the tilesets. It would be awesome if there was a way to mechanically enforce no-jump zones like for settlement walls, but honestly, there comes a point where we have to just trust the people that understand what metagaming is and correct those who do not or abuse it. Same as the current Flight and Shadowjump abilities are handled now.
_________________
You think Magic is your ally... but you merely adopted the Art. He was born in it. Molded by it. Sometimes, an angel is simply a devil with better intentions.
I tried teaching a few people but no one ever got past the "nihilistic brainwashing," and now that Ahsra and Mathus have transcended their mortal skins and become beings of pure water floating in the astral sea or something (<---- this is all canon obv.) no one will ever get their sweet, broken ass abilities that they never abused, much to the chagrin of powergamers everywhere.
That includes you Commie
Commie wrote:
If they showed up and you were a full cleric or wizard or druid you essentially had to do what they said because you had nothing you could do against them. I think it even depolymorphed you.
It was so dumb
exactly that's why there was a time there were no asshole spellcasters or shifters on amia
I tried teaching a few people but no one ever got past the "nihilistic brainwashing," and now that Ahsra and Mathus have transcended their mortal skins and become beings of pure water floating in the astral sea or something (<---- this is all canon obv.) no one will ever get their sweet, broken ass abilities that they never abused, much to the chagrin of powergamers everywhere.
That includes you Commie
Commie wrote:
If they showed up and you were a full cleric or wizard or druid you essentially had to do what they said because you had nothing you could do against them. I think it even depolymorphed you.
It was so dumb
exactly that's why there was a time there were no asshole spellcasters or shifters on amia
What if the ability came with consequences if used? Think if the person got a temp/perm debuff, a character breaking alignment change that could affect ties with factions or even the ability could slowly destroy the character as used.
_________________ "A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."
AMF should never come back in any way shape or form. It's not a dig at the characters or the players or their RP or anything like this. This is purely from a balance and mechanical standpoint, and has nothing to do with whether or not anyone does or did not deserve it based on any conceivable metric.
It was bad for the game to exist.
_________________ Davion Telemos - Monk of the Four Winds Korthan Isharnos - Dragon Shaman of Thunder Spirit Zamasham
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 112 guests
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum