View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
bobofwestoregonusa
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 19:30 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Location: Eastern Washington

Hey, this is coming from a guy who knows absolutely nothing about the planes for the most part and lacks the books. Are there any books on magma/smoke/ice/etc. genasi and if so which ones are there? I'm also very specifically curious about the Ice Genasi for reasons of a request.

_________________
Image
Gerald Edmund
Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!


 
      
Cratz
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 20:13 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 13 Mar 2009

I think the Monster Manual has something about it. I don't quite remember, as it's been a long time since I've seen it.

_________________
I'm done. Goodbye.


 
      
Liz
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 20:18 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 28 May 2010
Location: Smallville

You'll have to go back to 2nd Edition sources or earlier for stuff on the para and quasi planes, since WotC scrapped them in 3rd Ed and onward. There's stuff in the 1st Ed Manual of the Planes, but not a lot of detail, IIRC. I think if you're looking to request a nonstandard genasi character, you're probably free to just riff whatever lore you like, and try to wow the DMs with something interesting and fun.

_________________
Winner of Amia's "Most Ethical Time Traveler" award 2026
Image
Character Portraits!


 
      
NinjaClarinet
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 20:21 PM 



Player

Joined: 12 Jul 2010

Ice genasi? That's a pretty...cool idea 8)


 
      
Cratz
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 20:22 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 13 Mar 2009

NinjaClarinet wrote:
Ice genasi? That's a pretty...cool idea 8)


...*facepalms* I knew that would happen.

_________________
I'm done. Goodbye.


 
      
The Great Equalizer
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 21:02 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Actually the para elemental planes as well as quasi-elemantal planes continue through 3.5 as well although they are not very prominent, they do still get a mention in the 3.5 manual of the planes although I would look in the 1st edition manual of the planes, or even some of the planescape stuff, of course it probably is mentioned in dragon magazine at some point as well, at least I think it was.

Although honestly para and quasi elementals just mix traits from the planes they intersect so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out even just based on lore of the more common elementals and elemental planes.


 
      
Silkelock
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 21:19 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 17 Jun 2011
Location: Sweden

Dragon Magazine 297 deal with the para-elemental Genasi.

Quote:
Ice Para-Genasi are cold, emotionless beings. Like most genasi, they tend toward neutrality. They appear human. but their features are often sharper and more chiseled than normal, and their skin is paler than the norm for their race. In addition, they have one or two minor supernatural traits that hint at their heritage, such as breath that frosts even in the hottest weather or frost-caked hair. They prefer loose, light clothing in whites and pale blues, even in cool climates.

    +4 Con
    +2 Wis
    -2 Dex
    -2 Cha
    Ice para-genasi are hearty and observant, but they are sluggish and often seem uncaring.

_________________
Image

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.


 
      
Liz
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 21:22 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 28 May 2010
Location: Smallville

I should say, I don't know if the para and quasi planes are brought back in later editions, since I've never played them. In 3rd, though, they definitely don't exist. The inner planes are completely and individually contained in the Astral, they don't border on each other or on anything else. Amia has kind of confused that though, with some of its monsters and lore, so it's hard to say whether Amia follows that very closely.

_________________
Winner of Amia's "Most Ethical Time Traveler" award 2026
Image
Character Portraits!


 
      
bobofwestoregonusa
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 21:27 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Location: Eastern Washington

Oh dear god I just realized I posted this on Improving Amia and not lore. Can the nearest DM please move this topic to the correct section of the forums?

_________________
Image
Gerald Edmund
Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!


 
      
bobofwestoregonusa
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 22:37 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Location: Eastern Washington

Liz wrote:
I should say, I don't know if the para and quasi planes are brought back in later editions, since I've never played them. In 3rd, though, they definitely don't exist. The inner planes are completely and individually contained in the Astral, they don't border on each other or on anything else. Amia has kind of confused that though, with some of its monsters and lore, so it's hard to say whether Amia follows that very closely.


I'm pretty sure Amia allows for para-elementals since I've seen the smoke and mud elemental summons before. They're rather cool.

_________________
Image
Gerald Edmund
Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!


 
      
The Great Equalizer
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 22:43 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Para and quasi planes are present in the world tree and the great wheel cosmology (as of 3.5 at the very lest) which amia sort of mashes together anyway so yep you should be good lorewise.


 
      
Liz
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 22:46 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 28 May 2010
Location: Smallville

The Great Equalizer wrote:
Para and quasi planes are present in the world tree and the great wheel cosmology (as of 3.5 at the very lest) ...

Cite a source? I've never found a reference to them in 3rd.

_________________
Winner of Amia's "Most Ethical Time Traveler" award 2026
Image
Character Portraits!


 
      
The Great Equalizer
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 22:52 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Sure thing, it can be a pain to notice since they only get a small mention in the manual of the planes 3.0 and only a slightly more in depth one in the 3.5 version, but it should be on page 65 and 66 respectively in the 3.0 and 3.5 "Manual of the Planes".


 
      
Liz
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 23:02 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 28 May 2010
Location: Smallville

... there is no 3.5 edition MotP. The 3rd edition mention on p66 is specifically as an optional variant that does not adhere to the Great Wheel, and it doesn't even give names for them. It's just a "DMs can make up their own stuff here" kind of thing.

_________________
Winner of Amia's "Most Ethical Time Traveler" award 2026
Image
Character Portraits!


 
      
The Great Equalizer
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 07 2013, 23:10 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Ahhhh, true enough I oddly just have it in both my 3.0 and 3.5 references which is why I got confused. And it is indeed an optional variant of the world tree, but its a variant option in cannon material (Likely because of the great wheel cosmology before it), amusingly probably making it the most Amia like variant in the cannon DND.

Edit: Although oddly the MotP refers to it as the "Great wheel" even though it had already changed over to the world tree cosmology... Its confusing shit, especially when FR was built with the Great Wheel in mind and not the World Tree.


 
      
Cerpin Taxt
 
PostPosted: Tue, Oct 08 2013, 3:01 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 20 Aug 2010

Here's their entry on Dragon #297, pages 63-66.
If you want the pdf, pm me your skype and I can upload it to you.


Liz wrote:
The Great Equalizer wrote:
Para and quasi planes are present in the world tree and the great wheel cosmology (as of 3.5 at the very lest) ...

Cite a source? I've never found a reference to them in 3rd.

There isn't going to be a source for it, but according to Tormak Amia uses both the wheel and the tree.
viewtopic.php?p=1182980#p1182980
NinjaClarinet wrote:
Amia uses Tree AND Wheel.

TormakSaber wrote:
Correct. Amia uses an amalgam of Tree and Wheel which places many of the Tree realsm as demi-realms within the more familiar to most players) Wheel Cosmology. The House of the Triad exists in the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, for example, and the Demonweb Pits are a Layer of the Abyss.

_________________
THREE


 
      
Kamina
 
PostPosted: Tue, Oct 08 2013, 16:13 PM 

User avatar

DM

Joined: 05 Jul 2007
Location: Kent, England.

Ooze Genasi when?

_________________
Image
"Operating in the border between light and darkness, shadowdancers
are nimble artists of deception. They are mysterious and
unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"


 
      
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group