View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
Glim
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2013, 6:38 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Location: British Columbia

I've found reference to them by name but no source material. Both the elementals themselves and the relevant planes/sources for those elementals would be of great help please.


 
      
Liz
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2013, 7:04 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 28 May 2010
Location: Smallville

The para and quasi planes, to the best of my ability to detect, were scrapped in 3rd Edition. No source I can find mentions them at all, including the 3rd Ed Manual of the Planes and the Planar Handbook. I think if you want to add them to the Amia cosmology, you'll have to go all the way back to 1st Ed to adapt them from that edition's version of the Manual of the Planes.

_________________
Winner of Amia's "Most Ethical Time Traveler" award 2026
Image
Character Portraits!


 
      
Cerpin Taxt
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2013, 7:27 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 20 Aug 2010

I have a source. I'll try to get a copy.

_________________
THREE


 
      
IronAngel
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2013, 9:23 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 29 Sep 2005
Location: Helsinki, Finland

We still have the corresponding Mephit types, by the way. And druids can (or used to) summon Para-Elementals, so they're definitely somehow part of our cosmos. The planes shouldn't be scrapped, but I suppose you could say they are the borderlands between the primary Elemental Planes. The physics of it is fucked up anyway, so it doesn't matter much how you explain their existence.

But yeah, I'm not entirely sure what would be the last source to describe them. I think you'll have better luck with Planescape, as with most things planar.

Surprisingly, the Wikipedia article on the matter is very informative with plenty of references:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_Plane

_________________
On Joon, Kjetta wrote:
The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!


 
      
NinjaClarinet
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2013, 9:36 AM 



Player

Joined: 12 Jul 2010

Lava and Ice paraelementals are IG last I checked, yep.


 
      
Liz
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2013, 9:39 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 28 May 2010
Location: Smallville

Mephits and summoned elementals could just as easily be cross-breeds as denizens of their own discrete planes. But I do agree with you, for the most part. I wasn't saying the para and quasi planes should be scrapped, just that the 3rd Ed writers seem to have done so. Keeping them and building them into Amia would be to the good, I think; more variety of lore is a Good Thing.

_________________
Winner of Amia's "Most Ethical Time Traveler" award 2026
Image
Character Portraits!


 
      
FastKev
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2013, 15:08 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 21 Aug 2010

I've been researching this myself for a character concept. The para-elemental planes were themselves removed as separate entities, but rolled into the prime elemental planes close to the 'borders'. So Ice exists near the edge of Water to Air, Ooze at Earth near Water, etc..

_________________
Nhalis Sauvan - Flamboyantly Amusing Brasskin-Bard
Zal Marrak - Druid with a case of Shifter [inactive]


 
      
IronAngel
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2013, 15:49 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 29 Sep 2005
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Considering we use an amalgamation of various cosmologies, I would go with the octahedron model (whatever you make of the planar borders). It is definitely the most sophisticated and thematically cohesive model.

_________________
On Joon, Kjetta wrote:
The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!


 
      
Gers
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2013, 17:20 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 30 Apr 2005
Location: Kentucky, USA

AFAIK, the quasi/para-elemental planes are separate and distint locations still, on Amia. The bit about them being rolled into the other planes sounds like 4th Ed stuff, IMO.

_________________
Image
Named Most Influential Character, Amia Awards 2011


 
      
Zedrik
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2013, 17:28 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Location: Silent Hill, Indiana

Gers wrote:
AFAIK, the quasi/para-elemental planes are separate and distint locations still, on Amia. The bit about them being rolled into the other planes sounds like 4th Ed stuff, IMO.


I've never seen any mention of them in the 3.X books. The best source for lore, though, would probably be the Planescape AD&D2e book Guide to the Inner Planes.

_________________
Image


 
      
IronAngel
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2013, 17:30 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 29 Sep 2005
Location: Helsinki, Finland

That Wikipedia article I linked charts their publishing history.

_________________
On Joon, Kjetta wrote:
The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!


 
      
corypx
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2013, 18:15 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 14 Oct 2006

wait so salt,dust,ash...ect elementals are real in our setting?

_________________
================-<Cory ShadowFlame>-================
Risenlord-Shifter(OMG a Non-Dragon Shifter that can hold his own in PvE)
Image


 
      
erroch
 
PostPosted: Tue, Mar 19 2013, 20:24 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 22 Jul 2010

Gers wrote:
AFAIK, the quasi/para-elemental planes are separate and distint locations still, on Amia. The bit about them being rolled into the other planes sounds like 4th Ed stuff, IMO.


3rd ed, pulled the para / quali planes and made them the borderlands between the other planes.
4th ed simplified things further merging the ether, abyss, limbo, and I think the other inner planes.
They also got rid of the plane of shadow and ravenloft in 4th.

_________________
Image


 
      
Zedrik
 
PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2013, 0:07 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Location: Silent Hill, Indiana

erroch wrote:
Gers wrote:
AFAIK, the quasi/para-elemental planes are separate and distint locations still, on Amia. The bit about them being rolled into the other planes sounds like 4th Ed stuff, IMO.


3rd ed, pulled the para / quali planes and made them the borderlands between the other planes.
4th ed simplified things further merging the ether, abyss, limbo, and I think the other inner planes.
They also got rid of the plane of shadow and ravenloft in 4th.

They merged the plane of shadow and the demiplane of dread into the Shadowfell.

_________________
Image


 
      
TormakSaber
 
PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2013, 1:57 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere

We've used a couple of the para-planes (where the intersections of the main 4 planes, with each other, are) but not so much the quasi planes (where the positive and negative intersect the main 4), to my knowledge.

_________________
Davion Telemos - Monk of the Four Winds
Korthan Isharnos - Dragon Shaman of Thunder Spirit Zamasham


 
      
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group