View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Garnith
 
PostPosted: Fri, Mar 01 2013, 11:12 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 22 Jan 2008

Quite frankly: Does it exist? What does it look like, feel like, any other properties, etc? Couldn't find any mention of it in the giant fey thread, but it did mention that things consumed by fey turn to dust. Is that the source of pixie dust?

_________________
"Hi, I'm Garnith, and I'm an Invisophile."
Garnith, Ranth, Rick, Burick, Elail, Deryl, Kane, Rini.
Suggestion Rule of Thumb: Don't think about how neat it would be to use, think about how neat it would be for people to use against you.


 
      
Pony
 
PostPosted: Fri, Mar 01 2013, 11:38 AM 



Player

Joined: 07 May 2005

It is a thick whitish substance, somewhat sticky and rich in protein.

On a more serious note, I could not find information on it in the monster manual or candlekeep, but it seems the 4th edition book Heroes of the Feywild does. I do not have the book, so I can only give you a quote of a review of it. "Pixie dust makes an appearance, of course, granting an ally the ability to fly up to 6 squares as a free action." - Link. I do not know if you can be peter pan on amia as we are not 4th edition, but it is at least a start.


 
      
Garnith
 
PostPosted: Fri, Mar 01 2013, 13:16 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 22 Jan 2008

I really doubt Peter-panning would be allowed. But if it is, that makes my master-plan of throwing my own personal glitter at people all the more hilarious. I have a copy of Feywild, I'll see if I can find anything relevant, and post here for reference if I do. Thanks for the tip!

_________________
"Hi, I'm Garnith, and I'm an Invisophile."
Garnith, Ranth, Rick, Burick, Elail, Deryl, Kane, Rini.
Suggestion Rule of Thumb: Don't think about how neat it would be to use, think about how neat it would be for people to use against you.


 
      
Garnith
 
PostPosted: Fri, Mar 01 2013, 13:59 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 22 Jan 2008

And relevant info dump inbound:

The ability

Pixie Dust Pixie Racial Utility
You hurl a bright globe of fey magic that grants your friend the
ability to soar through the air for a moment.
Encounter
Move Action Ranged 5
Target: One ally
Effect: The target can fly up to 6 squares as a free action.

Description of the dust

When pixies fly, a shower of sparkling dust follows in their wake like the glittering tail of a shooting star. Pixie dust is said to be composed of the dreams of the living forest, the gold of the brightest sunbeams, and the starlight cast upon lovers. When such elements are combined as one, they elevate the soul and grant the ability to fly.

Another, optional ability

Gift of Flight
When you fly, you leave a trail of pixie dust glittering in your wake. By tossing up a shower of that same dust, you grant your allies the freedom of flight for a time.
Gift of Flight Pixie Utility 10
With a sprinkling of pixie dust, your companions take to the air.
Encounter
Minor Action Close burst 1
Target: Each ally in the burst
Effect: Each target gains a fly speed of 6 until the end of his or her next turn. If the target doesn't land at the end of this movement, he or she descends to the ground without taking falling damage.

Apparently it's an ingredient in hair dye

Hair of Fairy Hues
Courting eladrin sometimes apply a mixture of pixie dust and larkspur to their fine, silky hair, changing it to a new, vibrant hue. Spies from the Court of Stars or the Unseelie underworld often use such a concoction as part of a quick disguise, and the elders of eladrin royal houses use it to complement their rich fashions and contribute to their striking appearances. Some
wild fey add a shapechanger's eyelash to the mixture, causing their hair to change color every seventh heartbeat.
A single dose of one of these mixtures, collectively called the hair of fairy hues, can instantly alter the hair color of any individual. The new color lasts until the hair is washed in a still pond beneath the light of the moon, or until the hair grows out.

So all this means:

That 4e is really bad at giving descriptions of things. The only thing close to a description describes it only in metaphorical terms. Still no idea if: I leave a giant glowing trail on the ground I fly over, if pixie dust ever dissolves or fades away, anything about its texture, weight, or physical qualities (apart from being dust-like), if I could sell my dust to mages (although apparently I can sell it to hairdressers), what it actually looks like, and if how it looks varies between each individual. I demand answers for this extremely specific question which will likely not ever affect anyone or anything in any way. :P

On a more serious note, though, I think someone will just have to make a quick description and say "This is how it is on Amia".

_________________
"Hi, I'm Garnith, and I'm an Invisophile."
Garnith, Ranth, Rick, Burick, Elail, Deryl, Kane, Rini.
Suggestion Rule of Thumb: Don't think about how neat it would be to use, think about how neat it would be for people to use against you.


 
      
Rigela
 
PostPosted: Fri, Mar 01 2013, 14:11 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Location: Grimy Old England

Well, from this link which seems to talk about earlier editions of fey it says the monster manual states the following

Quote:
"the most famous by-product of pixies is pixie dust, also known as dust of disappearance. Crushing 50 pixie wings into a fine powder creates one dose of dust of disappearance. Naturally, pixies frown on this use of their wings."


- which could be something. But, obviously if that were so, you aren't going to make friends with the fey for using it.

_________________
Image
Signature by Maryn! <3 I am also seen as DM Snuffles.


 
      
Garnith
 
PostPosted: Fri, Mar 01 2013, 14:21 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 22 Jan 2008

You have to crush my wings? But I'm literally spewing out pixie dust all the time! :cry:

But yes, that could come in handy for the "sell-to-mage" idea. Still got no description of what the stuff actually looks like, though, so I think till we get something solid, I'll just roll with the "light, green-gold shining powder" thing I've been using so far.

_________________
"Hi, I'm Garnith, and I'm an Invisophile."
Garnith, Ranth, Rick, Burick, Elail, Deryl, Kane, Rini.
Suggestion Rule of Thumb: Don't think about how neat it would be to use, think about how neat it would be for people to use against you.


 
      
phalanxyrian
 
PostPosted: Sat, Mar 02 2013, 22:46 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Location: under your bed (the netherlands)

You could snort it or use it as a spell component.


 
      
Xaviera
 
PostPosted: Sun, Mar 03 2013, 15:25 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Location: Temple of Love

Garnith wrote:
On a more serious note, though, I think someone will just have to make a quick description and say "This is how it is on Amia".

It's magic.


I'm sure that, making some not-unreasonable assumptions, we could conclude that pixies shed a significant portion of their body weight each day in dust. Clearly, the only source of energy capable of sustaining such a metabolism (and explaining the sparkly effect) is radioactive ore, indicating that pixies are highly unstable (in several senses of the word). From this we can conclude that smashing two pixies together at high speed is probably not a good idea unless you are very far away from the potential blast zone.

_________________
Image
~Sharess on AmiaWiki~
Priestess, politician, prostitute
"[They] were moving in on me like Sharessans on a new broad in the bath house" - Tracer Bolt
AmiaWiki mod (mostly inactive)


 
      
Garnith
 
PostPosted: Mon, Mar 04 2013, 2:41 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 22 Jan 2008

phalanxyrian wrote:
You could snort it or use it as a spell component.


This is clearly the only logical plan.

Xaviera wrote:
Garnith wrote:
On a more serious note, though, I think someone will just have to make a quick description and say "This is how it is on Amia".

It's magic.


I'm sure that, making some not-unreasonable assumptions, we could conclude that pixies shed a significant portion of their body weight each day in dust. Clearly, the only source of energy capable of sustaining such a metabolism (and explaining the sparkly effect) is radioactive ore, indicating that pixies are highly unstable (in several senses of the word). From this we can conclude that smashing two pixies together at high speed is probably not a good idea unless you are very far away from the potential blast zone.


I meant more in terms of, say, what it actually looks and feels like, as opposed to its source, but that works too!
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go do something which definitely does not involve flying into other pixies at high velocity. I don't know why you would even think I'd do such a thing.
I'm totally going to do such a thing.

_________________
"Hi, I'm Garnith, and I'm an Invisophile."
Garnith, Ranth, Rick, Burick, Elail, Deryl, Kane, Rini.
Suggestion Rule of Thumb: Don't think about how neat it would be to use, think about how neat it would be for people to use against you.


 
      
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group