View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
Gobbledygook
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 29 2012, 12:21 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 18 Sep 2011

Hey lore people; I'm looking for every source or reference to Arcane Archery, whether it be a source book, novel, article, or Amia-specific lore. After looking around a bit, I haven't been able to find much. Could be because I don't have access to source books, etc! Any help would be appreciated!

What I have so far:
NWN Wiki Entry - Arcane Archer
SRD Entry - Arcane Archer
Article: Arcane Archer - Archery Personified.

_________________
Just lurking about!


 
      
IronAngel
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 29 2012, 12:52 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 29 Sep 2005
Location: Helsinki, Finland

An Amian player looked into this some years past and posted his article on the Candlekeep forums for feedback. (I'm embarassed to say I can't remember the name right now; that drow/elf player.)

Suffice to say, there's very little lore about them. The oldest and best sourcebooks on elven lore (Elves of Evermeet, and Cormantyr - The Empire of Elves) don't know Arcane Archers as they're a 3e PrC. The later books don't really deal in fluff. There are some mentions in the Last Mythal trilogy, IIRC, but just along the lines of "the division of arcane archers followed" or whatever.

I recommend you speak with other players in game and develop your own fluff around your PC.

Edit: Herkles! That's the player who wrote some stuff and taught it in game. I can't say whether the material is good or not, but worth checking out.

_________________
On Joon, Kjetta wrote:
The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!


 
      
DustSpray101
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 29 2012, 17:49 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Location: Night Vale

Amia-specific:

Drow AA's 'gift' comes from Selvertarm.

_________________
Eli Hodgewall <{/,~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~X
Sven <=={o===========>
Qeelak \ | / ,


 
      
Gobbledygook
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 29 2012, 20:42 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 18 Sep 2011

Alright, in that case I might write my own, which will come from my character/his tribe's perspective about Arcane Archery in general.

_________________
Just lurking about!


 
      
Jes
 
PostPosted: Mon, Oct 29 2012, 23:53 PM 

User avatar

DM

Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Location: Camriiole

The only lore that is specifically set in stone here, as far as I know, is that arrows that belong to Arcane Archers only become magical when they touch and fire them from their bows. That's why the AA arrows have the OOC restriction on them. An AA can't touch the arrows and make them magical, and then give them to someone else.

Everything else differs heavily from character to character, I've found - and I played an AA for years!

_________________
Login: The Copper Queen
Cromlech - The Best Copper This Side of Ruathym
Zelly Cys'dina - The Wounded Soul, Also Merchant

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf


See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice


 
      
ainjyll
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 12 2012, 6:22 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Location: wilmington, nc

When I was playing my AA, I came across a couple good explanations for why AA's can do what they do.

Personally, I've always subscribed to the school of thought that says that an AA makes their own arrows using specialized components which allow them to channel the proper energy into the arrows in question. Much like a mage uses certain components in spells, but with a twist. I also added in a bit about how the arrow is held and fired and there was usually a quick mantra that's said as she would reach for her first arrow... basically just some fluff to cover the V,S, and M aspects of casting spells.

_________________
Image

"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell and I stood there all by myself." -Hank III


 
      
Jes
 
PostPosted: Tue, Nov 13 2012, 5:10 AM 

User avatar

DM

Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Location: Camriiole

It's hard to pinpoint "correct" lore, really. I mean, is a character with 10 AA levels and 20 Wizard levels and plenty of spells at her disposal better than a character with 19 AA levels and 2 Bard levels, who can't cast crap? There has to be a way to explain it for both the caster AA and the non-caster AA. In that respect, every AA has the potential to be something entirely unique.

_________________
Login: The Copper Queen
Cromlech - The Best Copper This Side of Ruathym
Zelly Cys'dina - The Wounded Soul, Also Merchant

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf


See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice


 
      
Bravo21
 
PostPosted: Tue, Nov 13 2012, 7:31 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 11 Nov 2008
Location: In the land of liquid sunshine and coffee

By default, due to the requirements of becoming an AA, one would have to have some ability or not be able to function at all. Just like anyone using arcane or supernatural abilities, there are many roads that lead to the same place.

Personally I like the mystery that sometimes engulfs an AA. Is it just some sort of enchantment? A certain way of handling an arrow? Perhaps, it's an arcane enchantment in the archers mind, loosed upon the world by an ancient elven word whispered to the shaft when drawn to the cheek. I like how it's open to a players creativity, and like people, is different for everyone. Elves value the spirit of the unique individuals that comprise the elven society, what really needs to be known other than the idea that life is different for everyone. And thus, the way of melding elven magic and archery follow the same varied and wonderful paths.

_________________
Thine taste in horrid footwear not withstanding, I did not say that thou were in fact an idiot, I merely implied that such things were self evident.

-Krrja


 
      
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group