View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
Lord-Hadeis
 
PostPosted: Sun, Feb 26 2012, 0:38 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Location: Netherlands, Schoonhoven

Is there any culture in faerun that is a rip off of the Roman one? Either looks or looks and culture?
Seems there's a bunch of people going centurion. Yes I'm one of them that has got a character with that look, but I'm just playing him as a hired sword and tempus follower, who just prefers the freedom of movement and relative lightweight of that style of armour and is man enough to wear a skirt.


 
      
TormakSaber
 
PostPosted: Sun, Feb 26 2012, 0:50 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere

Chessenta, IIRC, is basically GreeceRome.

_________________
Davion Telemos - Monk of the Four Winds
Korthan Isharnos - Dragon Shaman of Thunder Spirit Zamasham


 
      
Gunz
 
PostPosted: Sun, Feb 26 2012, 0:55 AM 



Player

Joined: 01 Jul 2006
Location: The City of Fallen Angels, Ca

It's more Greek inspired, but yeah.

_________________
My Characters:
Yuilith Kethil Menaiivan Garadeth


 
      
IronAngel
 
PostPosted: Sun, Feb 26 2012, 12:59 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 29 Sep 2005
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Yeah. There was talk of this a few months back in the old topic, and the conclusion was there's no state or culture very close to Rome in Faerûn. There were some with similar historical signifigance/cultural icon status (Netheril, imo) and somebody thought Thay had some similarities, but no ripoffs like Chessenta, Unther, Moonshae etc. Purely visually and culturally (meaning poetry, rhetoric etc.) some Athens-inspired Chessentan city state might do, but they are definetely more Classical Greek.

_________________
On Joon, Kjetta wrote:
The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!


 
      
Lord-Hadeis
 
PostPosted: Sun, Feb 26 2012, 13:08 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Location: Netherlands, Schoonhoven

Well the main reason I asked to start with is because the Roman style armours are starting to get popular on the server. And I was wondering if there was any lore in faerun to back it up when we suddenly start to get players acting out ancient rome and start marching about like the legions. And probably a very corny hollywood legion to boost.


 
      
Pony
 
PostPosted: Sun, Feb 26 2012, 13:10 PM 



Player

Joined: 07 May 2005

It is simply the latest amian fashion. The vain and posh members of the adventuring community of the region dress in this newest style. Helmets with great plumes of feathers, befitting the iron clad peacocks of the land.


 
      
Lord-Hadeis
 
PostPosted: Sun, Feb 26 2012, 13:19 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Location: Netherlands, Schoonhoven

Yes can't do anything about the fashion (insert edgy comment here).

Just like to know where I stand if I suddenly have Juliaz Cezar (I know it's spelled wrong) go talk to me about his homeland or culture or whatever.


 
      
Pony
 
PostPosted: Sun, Feb 26 2012, 13:22 PM 



Player

Joined: 07 May 2005

Because he is an escapee from the Saladran Temple's mental ward. If someone talks about Rome in game, it is simple, there is no rome and hence he is delusional.


 
      
Lord-Hadeis
 
PostPosted: Sun, Feb 26 2012, 15:43 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Location: Netherlands, Schoonhoven

Oh good point! Now I'm hoping it will happen... Then again I consider over half the characters severely mentally defective or delusional.


 
      
Gers
 
PostPosted: Sun, Feb 26 2012, 18:38 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 30 Apr 2005
Location: Kentucky, USA

The Hero Complex is very common amongst adventurers, I hear >>

And yes. Any reference to actual, RL places/times by a PC should be treated as some sort of mental delusion. Unless the person has a DM-approved background actually saying "yeah, Marius Dracus was magically translated to Faerun from ancient Rome on Earth", there should be no links to any RL culture save those present as thematic elements in FR cultures.

_________________
Image
Named Most Influential Character, Amia Awards 2011


 
      
NinjaClarinet
 
PostPosted: Sun, Feb 26 2012, 18:52 PM 



Player

Joined: 12 Jul 2010

Kinda like referring to a spell as "having no save" completely IC. I just kinda walked away >_>


 
      
Chai
 
PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27 2012, 18:57 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 06 Feb 2012

I see alot of parallels with Roman culture in the city of Arrabar as well. Wealthy houses having their own private armies, back and forth hostilities with druids and other folk from "less civilized" lands, Strict millitary discipline complete with rank and file marching armored troops, etc.

_________________
Image


 
      
Lord-Hadeis
 
PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27 2012, 23:02 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Location: Netherlands, Schoonhoven

That's a very shallow look on it...

Lets just call this Roman issue answered and lock it. I've learned quite enough.


 
      
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group