View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 29 2020, 5:14 AM 

Player

Would it be possible to add additional stock to merchants such as Haur so that when you reach an appropriate level, you can access gear that is suited to your level. For example a level 15 PC can ask Haur to look at his range of +3 or +4 armour and weapons, rather than having to rely on loot drops or forcing PCs to travel to places they either can't/wont go or is too expensive or dangerous to get there?

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 01 2020, 4:00 AM 

Tester

The last time I remember this discussed from the dev/tester side(which was very long ago!) the idea was to preserve so idea of settlements not being completely soaked with high level magical items. Like I remember it being a pretty big deal when Khol got its +3 and +4 armors from its special merchant. Being able to leisurely buy one step lower than epic on your way to pick up milk is kind of funny. Generally you had to make the trip to the Gauntlet, Abyss Merchant, etc for that quality of item. Otherwise, it makes what is already a pretty high magical setting feel even more high magic. Stu the Lv 4 militia man gets a +4 Longsword for his 5 years of service, like it's an off-brand Rolex.

There were and are exceptions, however! The Rhun Monastery has +4 gear along with the Temple of Salandra. The Master Monk guy gives +4 items when you choose one of his things. I think the Rogue shop has similar quality of items. So there's precedent, but maybe the merchant can be set outside in a more neutral/unaffiliated zone? That way it doesn't beg the question as to why run-of-the-mill guards aren't constantly decked out in +4 gear.

Quote:
...forcing PCs to travel to places they either can't/wont go or is too expensive or dangerous to get there?

That... just sounds like forcing adventurers to, well, adventure, if I'm being honest. :lol:

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 01 2020, 5:01 AM 

Player

We're playing in a setting that frequently has dragons, friends merchant Djinn, and literal avatars roaming fee. Adding basic +1,2,3,4 armour and weapons to a merchant in Wiltun and Frontiers Rest is hardly going to be too unrealistic in our setting.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 01 2020, 17:56 PM 

Player

Tarkuul, Runedar, Thran'daariv, L'Obsul, Triumvir all have a wide range of gear from +2-4. Though, I'd argue that the weirdest one to get to for most would be outside of the citadel in the 367th layer..or whatever. I believe the Barb town outside of Brog also carries some interesting gear. I know it's far from an optimal solution, but the gear is out there.

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2020, 23:04 PM 

Tester

Richard_Edmund wrote:
We're playing in a setting that frequently has dragons, friends merchant Djinn, and literal avatars roaming fee.

Yeah, but do they like, exist on your doorstep, or do you usually have to go out of your way to find these things? That's the difference, IMO. Not that those things and +4 Weapons don't readily exist, but you don't trip over them on your way out of the tavern you literally start the server on.

But I'm kinda playing Devil's Advocate here. The Djinn exists mainly to circumvent people having to grind for epic items. It's also a quicker way to get custom items with less "crafting RP" seeing as there are fewer players to facilitate it, overall. As Thunderbrush pointed out, more and more shops have gotten higher quality items over time. Different needs for different times, I guess. It just kind of makes me a sad panda. "I need to go out and fight hard things so I can get the good loot" seems like it's becoming "I can't go out and fight the hard things until I get the good loot." The more powerful stuff you offer in settlements, isn't that less of a reason to ever leave them? That ship may have sailed at this point.

I'd like to call out my own biases, though: ancient player, who has already benefited from hours of said grinding, currently on hiatus, and kind of a hopeless romantic when it comes to game design. If this is a current problem for current and new players, then by all means it should be addressed in a way that adds to their enjoyment.

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 03 2020, 2:10 AM 

Player

The only reason I was able to get +3 gear for my character was because I meta'd exactly how to get to those places and that he could go to those places. Shadowscape and Tarkuul specifically. Too bad so sad if you're a paladin or cleric of good faith or a new player who doesn't know what or where those places are or have in them.

angst360

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 03 2020, 2:19 AM 

Player

My argument for 'better merchants' is that it might ease the feeling that one is being forced to meta-game in order to maintain 'balance' with the rest of the server.

A BoT salesman in the UD would be most appreciated. Recently, a member of a 'monstrous race' had to make the trek from L'Obsul to the Wave and Serpent...

Also, L'obsul could use a higher tier merchant. Suggested items might include, but not be limited to: Ranger/Druid items only found in the grove, Archery items only found in Winya, various items from Barak Rundirs shop, and the like. The common theme here is access to items sold in area's where racial access is limited. It used to be, one could acquire these items through creative means and interesting rp with shady characters... but the player base isn't what it once was.

Meh, while I am on the subject... a review of the UD merchants is overdue. There is a lot of redundancy (identical shops) down there since the merger of the L'obsul and Underport merchants.

Galenson

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 03 2020, 7:27 AM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

angst360 wrote:
Meh, while I am on the subject... a review of the UD merchants is overdue. There is a lot of redundancy (identical shops) down there since the merger of the L'obsul and Underport merchants.

L'Obsul itself needs a review, from size to merchants to layout.

One could even say the whole underdark needs a review, slimming and tidy up.

But thats a different story, with differing views, for a different thread.

"I'll think of something once Amia:EE drops."

Revak

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:47 AM 

Player

Richard_Edmund wrote:
Would it be possible to add additional stock to merchants such as Haur so that when you reach an appropriate level, you can access gear that is suited to your level. For example a level 15 PC can ask Haur to look at his range of +3 or +4 armour and weapons, rather than having to rely on loot drops or forcing PCs to travel to places they either can't/wont go or is too expensive or dangerous to get there?

This please, even if it's just the basic +4 loot (e.g Full Plate +4, Small Shield +4 etc).

Galenson

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 03 2020, 12:47 PM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

I don't not like the original poster's suggestion to improve, albeit for different reasons.

Where the original poster has put it for convenience, my reason is more for clutter: there's so many merchants. A slimming down of merchants would not be a bad thing.

"I'll think of something once Amia:EE drops."

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 04 2020, 3:52 AM 

Player

I think the real problem is..that without extensive metagaming or help from "friends" is that the middle of the road adventurer gets nothing. I mentioned said areas because they don't really make sense...unless you are literally gaming for gear/stats...ect

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Thu, May 21 2020, 6:00 AM 

Player

The djinni stole my jerb.

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

Jes

PostPosted: Thu, May 21 2020, 6:11 AM 

DM

Richard_Edmund wrote:

Something along this vein will be added soon.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 05 2020, 20:42 PM 

Player

I approve! Seeing as how I am currently waiting for a UMD dump, so I can go to Tarkuul and get a sword... Need that +3 keen before I can move on! RP be damned

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]