View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
Caiden

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 16 2017, 16:03 PM 

Player

Hello, everyone!

After almost three years away from NWN, I decided to load it up and search for some roleplay.
To my surprise, there are still active heavy RP servers!
I'm so used to wading through the obvious big fish (Sinfar) searching for any decent RP.

Anyway!

I've spent the last couple of days digging through the websites for various servers.
This forum has proven to be a good read. Especially that massive one about getting new players.
Heated, but interesting.

I was wondering if I could get some insight into the server currently?

My top choices currently are Arelith, Amia, Ravenloft, and CWW.

I marked off Forgotten Realms Cormyr because of their nearly hour timer between rests.
That just seems a bit jarring to me.

Ravenloft seems cool but I'm not sure about the setting.
Arelith seems like the big fish but I'm not sure about a purely vanilla server... with all the class balance issue that ensue.
Amia seems great and is currently my top choice, but the population concern seems lingering.
CWW looks great but the setting would take some getting used to.

Does anyone have insight into all of these servers? All opinions are welcome!
What's life like on Amia for you?

Tarnus

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 16 2017, 16:19 PM 

Player

Hello there,

can only talk about Amia and Ravenloft (assuming you mean POTM). Personally I actually rather enjoyed POTM, though I'm a sucker for the theme in general. That being said, its pretty much straight up Ravenloft in a PW setting and while I rather enjoyed my time there, I get if its not everyones thing. PC-lifespans are often a good bit shorter and there is a certain expectation (though not enforced) that a PCs lifespan should eventually come to an end.
Gameplay-wise, its a rather different animal from Amia, POTM has a good bit harsher death penalties, especially for dying at high levels. Levelling is significantly slower and the gearing-power level is a lot lower too, which can make for some rather interesting decisions I found. Amia comparatively, especially if you are good mechanically, is a lot easier to play on.

That being said, I personally rather enjoyed both and should, which I do not hope, Amia one day go down, thats where you would find me and whatever you choose, provided you do not have a particular aversion to the setting, I am somewhat confident that you should find either interesting. That being said, out server and POTM each cater to a quite different form of roleplay, so that should likely be the most important factor in my opinion!

If what you are looking for is a more FR-like experience, you'll probably be happier on Amia, if the gothic horror and dark atmosphere of Ravenloft is a draw for you, POTM is your server.

Hope that helped a bit!

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

Caiden

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 16 2017, 16:26 PM 

Player

Interesting information about Ravenloft. Thank you kindly for responding!

I don't mind slow leveling, but being able to get it out of the way to focus on RP is much more enjoyable than a tedious gain rate.

I love dark settings, but not sure how much I want to dive into it.

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 16 2017, 16:30 PM 

Player

I do have to say, yes, compared to a lot of other servers, we're a bit smaller, player-base-wise. On the other hand, I'd still say that we are, currently, (after those heated discussions, player counts always go up, lol) at a pretty nice player count, though that is biased from having only ever played on Amia, and knowing a few of the players, and places where the players are. You can, at most late Europe/US times, always find people online, and Bendir Dale is the main hub where you'll usually find people during those times...

Caiden

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 16 2017, 16:34 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
I do have to say, yes, compared to a lot of other servers, we're a bit smaller, player-base-wise. On the other hand, I'd still say that we are, currently, (after those heated discussions, player counts always go up, lol) at a pretty nice player count, though that is biased from having only ever played on Amia, and knowing a few of the players, and places where the players are. You can, at most late Europe/US times, always find people online, and Bendir Dale is the main hub where you'll usually find people during those times...

Honestly, as long as it's stable, that's good!
10-20 players average is pretty good for a cozy RP server.
The only nice thing about having 50+ average is variety in characters but that isn't huge.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate your time.

Jes

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 16 2017, 16:43 PM 

DM

Here's a cool thing to check out, too! Can read about our cool systems and see some pretty pictures.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Caiden

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 16 2017, 16:45 PM 

Player

Jes wrote:
Here's a cool thing to check out, too! Can read about our cool systems and see some pretty pictures.

Thank you!
I have already read everything on there aside from the crafting system.
It looks pretty slick.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 16 2017, 16:48 PM 

DM

I would definitely take the time and spend some time IC in each server. They really all feel different.

Amia does tend to be a bit more relaxed compared to some other servers. Lighter death penalties, no actual enforcement of eatting/drinking, and we dont have a straight no OOC rule in party chat, etc.

Caiden

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 16 2017, 16:50 PM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:
I would definitely take the time and spend some time IC in each server. They really all feel different.

Amia does tend to be a bit more relaxed compared to some other servers. Lighter death penalties, no actual enforcement of eatting/drinking, and we dont have a straight no OOC rule in party chat, etc.

I think this may be the best way to go in the end.
The more insight folks here can give the better, but I'll probably hop on and give them a go regardless!

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 16 2017, 16:54 PM 

DM

Yep! Will be glad to see you in game.

Amia does in my experience have a lot more robust capability to support unique characters, classes, etc. What you can request we have systems in place to give you some support.

Yimmi

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 16 2017, 17:00 PM 

Player

Hello there! Before joining Amia I went from server to server, just like you are right now!
Personally I think, as MAv said, that you have to go through all of them to see which one suits you better.
What I can say from here, which is here I stayed haha, is that we do have a stable number of player and a lot of variety.
Your Pc can pretty much go in any direction you wish him/her to go!
I hope to see you IG soon enough, and if you have any doubts just send me a PM!
Good luck with your search :D!

We are southamerican rockers, nou sommes rockers sudamericaines...

And DM side: DM Clangeddin

Kudark

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 16 2017, 19:45 PM 

Player

Welcome to Amia, and enjoy your time!

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 17 2017, 0:18 AM 

Player

I've played many servers, including all those but CWW (maybe I played that, but I'm not sure what it stands for).

I've spent a lot of time on Ravenloft and it is a great server. It's probably the most atmospheric, well-done to canon and truly spooky thing in gaming there is. However, it's also very slow and does not give a toss about balance. There are events aplenty and if you like horror or the Ravenloft setting, you will love it. It's very low magic item. However, I do find that (to me) "horror all the time" is a bit of a drag on my outlook, so take that as you will.

Arelith is very populated. I spent many years there before coming to Amia and enjoyed them with friends, however, it's very vanilla. With no haks, they can only do so much. It's also a very slow server (though not so slow as Ravenloft) and it's unbalanced. If you bring up the fact that anything with a spellbook utterly blows everything else away, they just laugh at you and yell "RP server!" (as if RP servers cannot be balanced). Eventually, everybody's gear tends to look the same as it all comes from the same system and there's no good loot. It's pretty low magic item. There's almost never DM events or stories to partake in. The good parts of it are that players can own and control the cities/settlements directly and they have things like persistent shops. Overall Arelith is like a very bland Amia that's much more unbalanced, slower, quiet (in terms of DM storytelling), but does have a couple of nice things to it.

Amia is where I hang my hat now and have for a few years. I have chosen it because the leveling speed is reasonably good, it's pretty fast once you get the hang of it and you don't have to spend a year of your life to get to epic on one character. The balance is fantastic here, where you won't feel underpowered short of building a truly terrible build (heh!). Whether you like warriors, pure spellcasters or gishes, you will be playable. Spells are very fun and have many custom options. Magic items are worth looting and in many cases using, going clear up to +5 so that warriors do not feel useless. There's also "epic boss loot" to hunt, which gives you incentive once you're max level and at the endgame. DM events are frequent, often several times a day and you feel rewarded for participating. One of the best parts of Amia is the request system, which allows you to make all sorts of requests that the DMs are happy to help you out with, from rebuilding your character to giving them a fancy, custom feat or spell.

I honestly for the life of me cannot understand why Arelith is more populated than Amia, but to me, Amia is far superior in all the categories that matter. If you wish a slower, more immersive experience, I'd choose Ravenloft (although there's no reason one cannot take their time and be very serious in Amia too).

It is nice to speak with you on these things and if you happen to meet Rashad ingame, I'd love to do business with you. By all means, login and check us out, it's worth at least trying. Welcome! 8)

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 18 2017, 21:59 PM 

Player

For what it's worth, Rashad, Arelith has the artefact system, which is an expansion of the yellow-loot system here that replaces end game drops with Diablo 2 style RNG loot that absolutely destroys any notion of the server being "low magic" once you find a helm with 4 STR and +4 uni saves, or Full Plate with 4 STR 4 CON 2 WIS or a Battleaxe with +4 enhancement, 1d10 positive, +4 Divine.

Timestop letting you do damage during it swings the fight-power a lot towards UMD having melee, as well. UMD is general is far more sought after there, which is impressive, given Amia and all.

My current, unbiased as possible assessment of Arelith vs Amia, with + denoting what I feel are 'objective' pros, +/- are debatable depending on how you feel things are, and - being what I feel are 'objective' cons. These are not meant to start arguments but rather to give insight to a person asking questions. I will not include "toxic playerbase" or anything like that because it's stupid, people will be people and sometimes they're good and sometimes they suck ass. I try to be as objective as possible here from the perspective of helping someone make the decision between both servers, both of which I wholeheartedly believe are worth your time, depending on what you're looking to get out of your time.

Amia:
+ When the DM and Dev team is active, they are active and everything is bumping constantly. You can barely go a day without things going on. Big world changing plots will happen all the time, and updates will come at a machine gun's pace. There are generally DMs for every timezone.
+ A vast array of mechanical changes and classes changes supported by haks. I truly believe Amia has some of the best stuff around when it comes to mechanics, even if there's still some holes to patch up.
+ Rewarding being in a party by offering more loot, more XP, and more spawns for very large parties, and not having hard party limits or XP limits. I am an ARPG fan at heart, so this one may be a bit biased, but man, double and triple spawns are incredible.
+ An extreme array of customization options supported by a robust request system that allows for true uniqueness among characters.
+ A reward system that allows players to collaborate and help each other and reward each other via donations, to encourage RP.
+ A job system that, when in tandem with DM work, incentivizes groups working together to change the server.
+ A new "Faction" system, offering player autonomy and the ability to in-game affect the world with permanent fixtures and 'claim-staking'.
+ The DMs in general have a massive, vast array of tools to make changes both temporary and permanent. The degree of "DMing Ability" you have as a DM on Amia is absolutely incredible, and in the hands of a skilled DM will make a massive difference and create truly unique experiences. Adding entire areas on the fly, monsters, visual, music, items, and more, all without ever actually leaving the DM client, makes Amia's DM tool array something very special.
+/- DMs and Devs make cosmological, world advancing changes and are willing to continue forward a timeline and a metaplot involving the entire Realms, not just "Amia". Howevrr, over the years, this has often come at the cost of maintaining a "status quo", where cities are not destroyed or removed - often for the reasons of the dev work behind doing such a thing stated as being too overwhelming to handle. Changes are far reaching but also at the same time, can feel "not meaningful". [You may prefer to see your world scarred and destroyed, versus always knowing that Cordor or Bendir Dale will be there.]
+/- Haks themselves add a large amount of customization across servers. [You may not like haks, in principle, or other reasons.]
+/- Quick levelling, gold, and XP means you can hit 30 inside a week, once you know what you're doing. This makes alts very easy to make and gear. [You may want a slower pace, and prefer a server where not every is level 30 or max level, because that is the norm, for the most part.]
+/- The environment is more casual. Party PvP is the norm, and 'mega-parties' full of party chat and discussion are common. This can create a large culture of close friends, but can also give the perception of cliques and elitism. [You may prefer a less 'social' or more 'RP friendly' experience.]
+/- The job system has little in the way of actual reward for characters, by design. [You may feel it needs more rewards, or prefer that adventurers be 'adventuring' for their power.]
+/- The server is High Fantasy High Magic. If your boots aren't +5 AC/+3 stat, get 'em. Same for armor, gear, etc. Races are higher magic and more 'fantastic'. You will be truly yea powerful when geared at 30, and even before then. Amia for sure cleaves closer to normalized PnP in terms of the echelons of magic power that can and will be reached by players. [You may prefer a less powerful experience, or lower magic and less 'fantasy' in general.]
+/- "Pen and Paper" rules an usage abound, and players and DMs will often utilize textbook material in their roleplay, and expect other players to be aware of such, including niche sourcebook material not often used even in the PnP environment. While consent can be declined, there is sometimes the view that someone is "annoying" for refusing to comply with PnP materials. [You may prefer to not be, or just in general not be, a tabletop buff in order to suss your way through roleplay situations in the game.
+/- A vast number of magic bags can be held so PCs can packrat solutions for any situation in "true adventurer" fashion. Low weight encumbrance is almost never an issue beyond mid levels at all, for any reason. Storage exists, but is rarely utilized for this reason. [You may prefer more "realistic" storage solutions or situations.]
+/- Mechanical changes are generally open and freely available (minus Shadow Jump and Flight), meaning that with little outside help, characters may freely enjoy the fruits of mechanical changes on the server with perhaps little more than a conversation with a publically available NPC. [You may prefer that mechanical changes and upgrades to classes are earned via RP or work in the game rather than given on levelup.]
+/- Little incentive to permanently kill a character except for self satisfaction creates a server where monolithic PC entities are around for real life decades or more at times, creating what could be perceived as 'stagnation', especially in leadership positions. On the upperhand, these 'living legends' become valuable sources of RP and history for the server, who can be directly interacted with. [You may prefer a more quickly changing world where PCs live and die and don't simply 'live forever', so to speak, or reign as First Knight for a decade, or what have you.
- When the DM and Dev team suffer for whatever reason, the rest of the server suffers with it. Amia prides itself on the "Active experience", and so the lifeblood of the server is directly tied to how active the DMs and Devs are at any given moment, due to how much power remains exclusively within their hands. This is the biggest direct pro and con for Amia. For better or worse, Amia is tied to its DMs for the overall health of the server, and when they suffer, the server suffers with them.
- Bureaucracy can cripple the request system and the ability of players to change the server.
- Reward system relies directly on DM oversight and review to receive in the first place, though can be used freely once received.
- Haks are dredged down by patchwork changes and a lack of quality assurance in later years that restricts what can be done now, and many changing hands means design philosophies have changed a great deal over the years, giving the server a 'patchwork quilt' feel.
- Development design decisions made in the name of memory saving often prevent designers from crafting areas that are truly eyecatching, and often look spartan, or empty, especially in the wilderness.
- Skills generally do not have much use in the game outside of the mechanical essentials and DM events, which may be few and far between for niche uses of specific skills.
- Player economy is mostly limited to throwing gold at DM events, and trading epic items between each other, as almost all consumables come directly from NPCs.
- Inarguably, a smaller population makes for less opportunities to interact with people. A small Pro may be garnered here if you prefer a smaller more directly DM guided experience, but for me this is a huge con.
- Older customization requests can give the feel of "Legacy Content" or "Grandfathering" to the server, situations where old characters have access to items or powers no longer able to be accessed by the general public. This has recently been a work in progress to remedy, but still undeniably exists that there are "legacy" characters with no longer available powers ... my own included.

Arelith:
+ When the DM and Dev team is active, they are active and everything is bumping constantly. You can barely go a day without things going on. Big world changing plots will happen all the time, and updates will come at a machine gun's pace. There are generally DMs for every timezone.
+ Class changes and paths offer for customization beyond the "Vanilla" setting of the game - but far less than Amia's, for certain. Arelith's tend towards "Paths" that completely change how a class is played, even to the point of being a new class altogether. Amia seeks to overhaul the individual class itself to provide a new experience firmly within that class's already defined archetype.
+ A craft system deeply ingrained into the player economy of the server, with permanent shops and quarters being fixtures of every settlement. PC economy is robust and well supported.
+ A very large population undeniably makes it easier to run into people no matter where you go, meaning you are constantly running into RP.
+ A world development philosophy that has encouraged very, very pretty looking areas, often far outstripping what has been done with Amia's vastly expanded creation palette. The design philosophy has generally remained in place and firm over the years.
+ A fleshed out Disguise system that allows spies to take on entirely new identities, complete with changed name and portrait and description - a system that can be broken with spot checks.
+ Almost every skill has expanded, massively fleshed out uses. Locks and traps abound, Search allows you to investigate dead bodies and NPCs, and find extra loot, craft skills give edges in crafting trees, Bluff and Perform allow you to do disguises, Persuade gives extra money from bounties, and more.
+ Permanent fixtures allow players to essentially create RP and "faction areas" wherever they please, meaning brigands can sert up checkpoints, or even just you and your friends can keep a nice campsite by waterfalls. You'll come across RL years old statues and gravestones to gone PCs, and can try to find out about them IC.
+/- A reward system that gives an XP tick based on your current rating - offering little in the way of customization, but giving XP to those who "hate the grind".
+/- Player autonomy is prized and encouraged, to the point where active DMs can be derided there for "overplaying their hand" and overshadowing players. Players own every city and settlement and handle every single action within them, which occurs with or without DM presence, including leadership elections, exiles, and everything in between. [You may prefer your DMs to have a more active hand, or to have better recourse if done afoul by villanous PCs than hoping someone else can kill them, or vote them out.]
+/- World changes and plot advancements occur, cities will be burned and destroyed and new ones added, in support of player initiatives. However, these changes are within Arelith specifically, often not utilizing the full Realms, and the overall "metaplot" of the timeline has been forever frozen at 1372 DR. You trade breadth of involvement and world changing for depth, generally. [You may prefer time to advance, or a more involved, overarching metaplot. I generally do.]
+/- The levelling, loot, and gold is much slower than Amia's - 10-20 XP there is good. I don't roll out of bed for less than 40-50 on Amia. This creates a culture, though, where not everyone is necessarily level 30. This system is bulked out by their "Adventure XP" system, which gives stacking passive ticks of XP for crafting, exploring areas, and the like, and can be set to offer less XP from killing mobs now, but a hefty bonus later to the tune of +150% XP from passive ticks. That said, I have been there for 2 months and am level 27 - but a friend there hit 30 inside a month. If you call that slow, that's you, but I'd call that relatively quick still, myself. [You may prefer to be able to level up quickly, to try builds, level alts, or rejoin friends across new characters.]
+/- The loot system is much lower magic. Most loot comes from looted jewelry an the odd magic item. The way to true wealth comes from owning a PC shop, though - you'll be rich quickly if you produce popular, sought after goods. The Artefact system at high levels, howevrr, when lucky, will provide massively powerful items that even characters on Amia would balk at having, such as +4 to two stats, permanent freedom, and fear immunity. [You may prefer higher magic, or a more even magic curve rather than it all being placed at the high end of things.]
+/- Their forums are rendered obsolete for IC use, by and large. Everything is done in game - even making a forum account must be done from in game. [You may prefer more robust sources of forum RP or the like. I consider the obsoletion of forums a huge plus, myself.]
+/- No bags of holding, meaning anything you want to carry around you actually have to carry, and pickpocket is permitted. This encourages player housing, but even that isn't foolproof, as you are permitted to pick locks and steal items, though only one per RL day. This creates a very different 'feel' to items and inventory. [You may prefer to be able to packrat items on you, or not worry so much about strength encumbrance.]
+/- Rather then being accessed through an always-available in-game menu, changing your summon requires you to either find secret locations in game, or find items (usually books) that allow you to select a summon from an in-game menu. For example, if you want to summon devils via the binding line, you need to find an 'infernal contract.' This creates player economy, but also limits options until you can actually find the item, which may not always be easy to find. [You may not like your mechanical changes gated behind content you need to access in game, and prefer to be more readily able to RP your character's abilities.]
+/- Incentive to permanently kill characters exists in rewards for future characters, encouraging the permanent end of even beloved "living legends", making room for successors, and rewarding the end of the story as well as the middle. [You may prefer people play one character for years, where monoliths can be met, spoken to, like the old man on the mountain, or steadfast companions for RL decades.]
+/- "PnP rules" are effectively excised from the game. If it happens in game, it happened. You can scry in game, you can send illusions, but you'll not be asking a PC if you can cast Hindsight, or requesting a DM let you Stone Shape a particular area. Do it in game or not at all. That said, there is a lot of leeway for "RP situations" where the rules are loose and less defined, allowing ritual RP and the like to occur without DMs involved, as long as it generally makes sense within the game. "This isn't how PnP works" is not an argument that will occur. [You may prefer a bit more creative freedom to use tools developed by DnD for use with DnD, to better replicate the tabletop experience, possibly with DM help.]
- Bureaucracy can cripple the development system and the ability of players to change the server if their actions "go through" but DM support isn't there if necessary.
- Reward system relies directly on DM oversight and review to receive in the first place... and can go up or down depending on your actions. The "Stress of RPR" is a real cultural phenomenon there, and since it relies on DMs seeing you that exact moment, perception becomes reality. The worry if your RP is "good enough", or if you "grind too much."
-A lack of haks and extension of NWN mechanics can lead to characters and some areas feeling "Samey" - especially in the fashion and visual customization department. This is undeniably a con for the server, regardless of how you feel about haks.
- Older powers and paths and character options no longer available to choose, can give the feel of "Legacy Content" or "Grandfathering" to the server, situations where old characters have access to items or powers no longer able to be accessed by the general public in modern days, outside of a "5% roll" (requiring permanently deleting a high level character, and being lucky on a dice roll after the character's deletion) and an approved request with the DMs.
- DMs and the culture behind them can feel like a massive layer of mists and veils - DMs are announced from the playerbase, but their identities are explicitly hidden from the playerbase, and there is the strong expectation that DM identities not be sought out. I struggled over placing this one as a con or a +/-, and settled on con, because I'm not sure the culture it generates is good for the server. Admittedly, it works very hard to separate the DM from the player in order to try to keep things as unbiased as possible.

I think this is about all I can manage now after a lot of pondering and thinking about it, and I hope it helps people in general make decisions over where to have fun.

DukeDublin

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 19 2017, 0:35 AM 

Player

Wow excellent input all around from loads of people so far, many things I didn't know about with other servers!

As a rookie in the rp scene, Amia is my first server (and roleplay) ever! Been on and off for three'ish years now? I sort of lost track, and I'm a reclusive person that only got a forum account when I needed one, so the join date doesn't really count. Sticking with my first character to this day, I made some other dudes but less is more. Anyways, enough background for now.

To start with, the playerbase is chatty! Party up and there's bound to be some Out-Of-Character banter. Outside of parties though, players stick to In-Character which I appreciate. Players on Amia are generous if you need something you can ask! Gear, grinding, rp, all sorts of things!

Character build wise, think long and hard about how you want your character to be at level 30. You can select anything build wise you want the first time around, but if you want to change your levels that's going to need a "request", which is going to need a DM, which is going to need some arbitrary magnitude of IC reasoning (I never know what's going to be enough), the write up can take hours, the discussion can last weeks. However, a few levels wrong or one feat, that's the easy sort of rebuild, no extensive write up.

Meta-wise Amia can be a headache. I was a terrible character builder when I jumped in to play, and the expectations never changed till this day. People can have whatever build they want, until you meet the one player that's optimized with the mechanics then suddenly you're a sour grape after that. One example, if you don't "Tumble Dump" stored skill points with one level of the right class, that's 6 AC which is huge (more than any piece of gear or feat, and you won't make up this difference ever!!) Min-max is the rule of thumb here, as that's what the server is balanced around.

Customizing the look of gear is simple and with few restrictions. All that custom content has definately been a fun time sink, with even more appearances for requests.

Some days can be slow, some days are busy. Timezones matter for the server experience, peak hours are definately EST on Weekends. A cozy size means a lot of deadspace to explore, always visit where you've seen players before! Finding direction is important to a great experience here.

Fymor Trueshot

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]