View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 17 2018, 1:10 AM 

Tester

Trying to be less long-winded this time. But I still feel it would be a really good idea if we could get some non-hostile spawns in a few key locations in cities. It would add a lot of fun to revisiting known locations, describe areas through the people that live there, and exploring new places.

Can we try this? To my knowledge, the one issue was hostile creatures would occasionally spawn. I feel that can be debugged, however.

As a first and very tentative step, I think we could just make some random NPCs, make one spawn trigger somewhere, and see how it goes. No dialogue, no complicated interactions, only a baby step. And hey, if it doesn't add that much to the "atmosphere" we can stop there. But I'd certainly love to see it attempted, and as soon as I remember how, I'll see if I can export some NPC files and suggestions. Anyone else who'd enjoy seeing dynamic spawns in cities, feel free to join in.

Links to old stuff[1][2]

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 26 2019, 20:12 PM 

Tester

Bumping this again as Devs will likely be building new settlements with the move to EE. In such a case, this is an idea that can be kept in mind as you're building from the ground up. To recap on the idea, because I didn't really explain it in the original post:

In the toolset, you are capable of making non-hostile spawns. Moreover, we can control what spawns in what areas(obviously, as we have dungeons and whatnot).

A pretty straightforward way to give settlements a dynamic feeling is to have NPCs spawn in an area, in addition to the regular static ones. It's a simple idea, but offers several different benefits and options when designing areas for the server.

-Gives a reason to explore known settlements. Once you've traveled to a new settlement, it becomes really easy to set up in one spot and never bother to look around again. Eventually, you know there's nothing new in an area, no matter how cool it looks, and you have no reason to ever go there again. This would not be the case with dynamic spawns. Whether its a special merchant that has a 5% chance of spawning in an area, or a quest-giver that only shows up once in a blue moon, there will likely always be a reason to go for a walk, even once you are intimately familiar with a settlement. You never know who you'll see.

-Show the strata of the settlement. As spawns can be dictated by IC time, you can show the different dynamics of a setting by who shows up when. Perhaps in the morning, the docks are filled with wealthy traders, but at night, grizzled dock workers take their place. This allows us to flesh out the setting without necessarily adding more areas or NPCs at a specific time.

-Real-time Faction Area populace. I believe the idea of increased PC-controlled settlements and faction areas was floated with the move. A cool way to show that your faction area is doing well is to have NPC spawns tied to your settlement. These spawns would reflect the nature of the settlement, without DMs and Devs directly having to put them there. Perhaps when creating a faction area, you could choose from a general list of themes(peasants, merchants, good-ish, evil-ish, races). From there, the faction head would be allowed to place a certain number of spawn points through the faction tool. The number of spawn points a faction is allowed could be tied to their funds and resources, making it very possible to give the illusion of a decent sized fort or even a town, if your group has the stocks needed to support them. In turn, the more spawn points your faction has, the more likely that those rare NPCs mentioned earlier show up, the more incentive that faction creates for other players to come give them a visit.

Food for thought, as always. As mentioned before, we tried this with the Mill in Caraigh, but never expanded on it.

Jes

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 27 2019, 1:05 AM 

DM

Something we can keep in mind, but it will be on the back burner for a while if so.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 27 2019, 2:34 AM 

Tester

Back burner's better than no burner.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]