View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
The1Kobra

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 30 2020, 17:14 PM 

Developer

Native amian humans should probably have a WIS penalty, how else do you explain all of the adventurer stupidity the isle has endured over the years. :D
(jk, maybe)

Jokes aside though, I'm not sure it's a good idea to make more human subraces. The base human is flexible enough to cover what is needed and I don't particularly see a few mechanical bonuses really making the RP more enticing. I suppose EE would be the time to put that djinn back in the bottle if the staff is duly inclined.

If you're really going to be stuck with this idea though, I suppose a Forstakkr human could have +CON -INT (since they're hardy folk that are mostly uninterested in higher learning or the like). Ruathymi having +CON -WIS from being warlike/hardy while being rather superstitious and easily fearful. I'd think you'd want to be careful with CHA or WIS penalties, since that's typical powerbuild formula, and I'd rather not see what often happens with Chultans repeated. The CON bonus is less exploitable for powerbuilding than STR or DEX, so I think those are OK.

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 30 2020, 17:34 PM 

Player

The1Kobra wrote:
I'd rather not see what often happens with Chultans repeated.

You don't like seeing white Chultans? :shock:

Analog Kid

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 30 2020, 18:48 PM 

Player

Little off the current topic maybe, but i'm still curious.....

Will the new forums be getting a 'player tools' like option? I like seeing who's IG before logging in, and the ability to send messages to people IG from the forums.

Naela 'Widow': Wandering priestess.
Celinor Triellian: Paladin of Corellon.

Jes

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 30 2020, 19:57 PM 

DM

That'll likely come afterward, yeah. Just won't be at launch because there's too much other stuff to do to get it running.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 30 2020, 20:21 PM 

Tester

That Guy wrote:
You don't like seeing white Chultans? :shock:

I've got an obvious bias here, but I've always found this thoroughly confusing. Players routinely put themselves in the headspace of different worldviews, religions, genders, and species that may not even share the same organs. But when asked to play someone who lives near the equator it's like sorry, melanin machine broke.

What I think is actually happening, the times it has happened, is people looking at the stats and then not being bothered to read or care about any of the lore. The same thing is easily doable to Tuigan, Ffolk, and Durpari, but it's probably less noticeable when it happens. If people could select Elf at creation and still use the Human appearance, I'd bet they'd do that too.

But it's difficult to blame people for thinking of a build and then trying to construct a background around it. As much as we are an RP server, there's nothing wrong with having or seeing a cool idea somewhere and then trying to make it. As expansive as the Realms is, so much of the lore is tied up in books and resources you may not have access to.

What's a way we can encourage people to further RP their subraces, particularly human ones, without making it feel like researching for a term paper? Maybe some "How to Durpari/Fflok/etc" books that spawn in your inventory when you create a PC of that race? The Drow libraries used to have explicitly OoC books that helped players with all the words and terms they could use to enrich their roleplay. Maybe the same thing could be used here. Heck, I'd love to see you get region-appropriate starter gear with your subraces, rather than the same generic studded leather and handaxe everyone gets.

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 30 2020, 20:57 PM 

Player

To be fair, right on the Amia Website, it says they are black. I have a few Chultans, all black. The issue is people chose the subrace for the stats, but ignore the rest. I don't care if someone rp's cheir cha or wis since those are difficult to simulate, but you better play your race if you chose a subrace. Of all the things that bother me with roleplayers, this is the most irksome to me. Sorry, this got sidetracked now.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 30 2020, 21:31 PM 

Tester

I mean, it's related. We don't want to add more subraces if we think people will just look at the stats an ignore the lore. Whether it's white Chultans or Wood Elves that look more like Sun Elves, it's a situation we want to avoid.

I also agree, it's not that hard to read a paragraph or two before you roll a PC. It's not a huge ask before you jump into an RP server and if you can't be bothered it probably bodes poorly for you here. BUT I do believe the more help you give a player to "get it right" the more likely they are to. We're hopefully going to get more players coming through with EE. We're going to see newer players, rusty players, people possibly inexperienced with Forgotten Realms or even D&D in general. If having a few pictures of what a Chultan might look like in the racial entry makes it "click" for someone, great. If it's a book in their inventory that further helps them roleplay their background, great. The end result is we don't have to fuss at them and maybe they feel confident enough to stick around and roleplay.

Edit: Funny thing the way time works. With FR being the flagship setting for 5E and with Tomb of Annihilation being a pretty popular module, Chultan may actually be one of the more familiar races for new D&D players.

That Guy

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 30 2020, 23:17 PM 

Player

I was talking about those that take Chultan yet are not even from Chult. Not as many these days, but there's still some.

Pinkhaml86

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 30 2020, 23:37 PM 

Player

< plays a chultan who's not mechanically a chultan
*brain esplosions*

subrace talk!

I'd -love- to see an illuskan human subrace. + 1 str, + 1 con, - 2 wis, or 1 wis 1 int. or hell 2 cha I dont care. but the northman illuskan are big bois who smash smash lots. really big heads, full of skull, little brain lol

just my input.

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 31 2020, 0:51 AM 

Player

I feel like that's just normal human behaviour. :lol:

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Elorathall

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 31 2020, 8:56 AM 

Player

Richard_Edmund wrote:

Humanity, Funk Yeah!

Aurelius: Sunmaster of Amaunator. Contemplative. Aspirant to Transcendance.
"Sol Invictus"

Dunecat

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 31 2020, 12:58 PM 

Player

Elorathall wrote:
Richard_Edmund wrote:

Humanity, Funk Yeah!

Reject humanity, return to monke.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 31 2020, 14:07 PM 

Player

Pinkhaml86 wrote:
< plays a chultan who's not mechanically a chultan
*brain esplosions*

subrace talk!

I'd -love- to see an illuskan human subrace. + 1 str, + 1 con, - 2 wis, or 1 wis 1 int. or hell 2 cha I dont care. but the northman illuskan are big bois who smash smash lots. really big heads, full of skull, little brain lol

just my input.

+1!

Elorathall

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 31 2020, 16:10 PM 

Player

What about giving Amians a natural bonus vs Fear? Because every Thursday there's a dragon or fiend at their doorstep..

Aurelius: Sunmaster of Amaunator. Contemplative. Aspirant to Transcendance.
"Sol Invictus"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3