The forum normally imparts a strict image size limit on pictures in signatures. Some individuals decided it would be fun to cut bigass images up into several horizontal slices, just bypassing the limit.
The bigass sigs make navigating the site obnoxious on my phone and it's clearly just breaking the spirit of the forum rules.
Because the early 2000's are never allowed to die here? BB forums are generally overloaded with information-garbage, signatures in forums tend to be often times way longer then the actual message, just look into this very thread.
_________________ Playing as: Aleana Xiloscient: Wherever the winds take her. Jealesyl Truesong: A voice in the dark DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire
Joined: 07 Apr 2008 Location: That England place (Gmt+0)
People with a few images, or gif images are fine with me. Even when i'm checking in on my mobile from work they aren't that bothersome. Some people use fancy text, or have lots of little snippets that take the same amount of vertical space.
Alternatively you can have a separate account with signatures off, which you use exclusively for mobile use. that way you can have the mobile forum setting on all the time as well. Seen it done before. If you think it's bad as people won't PM both if you deal a lot with them, you can ask people to pm both in your siggy.
If we're going strictly by the rules/spirit of the rules, as constitutional law tries to do for example, then yeah, we should not allow image-stitching-ness. Simple enough.
Do we have a rule on maximum of 1 image per signature?
I don't know. I know if you try and stick a big ass image in your sig tho it tells you to not do that. So that's why ppl break their sigs up in to five or seven separate max resolution images.
Joined: 02 Jun 2015 Location: Georgia, United States.
Silkelock wrote:
Do we have a rule on maximum of 1 image per signature?
I think the point is, Images for one signature are given a limit. This limit should be followed by everyone on the Forums. If you "stitch" together multiple imagines just to have one Signature larger than the rest is finding a exploit in the system. Your signature /should/ be either the Maximum or less.
So the true issue is someone finding a way to have his / her signature bigger than everyone else by exploiting the system.
The issue in this case isn't "is there a cap on number of images", it's "they're breaking the rule against large signature images", simply in a creative way.
I don't have a problem with it but it's plain as day that that's circumventing forum rules and shouldn't be allowed, strictly speaking.
Stacking images with code is not something I would call an exploit. I'm not aware of rules saying max one image as the current setting for the forums has a hard cap of 255 characters. Which unless I'm mistaken also counts code.
_________________
Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.
I'm sorry, that's cynical, but I laughed and it was my first thought. On topic: this is a non-issue. Lots of the height-width limiting stuff from forums is because gauntlets of large images used to literally freeze comps back in the day. Probably. If not, big freakin' whoop. Christ, of all the problems we have, we tend to end up creating 50 more for ourselves. Maybe if people were uploading the Bayeux Tapestry in their signatures I could understand. If the issue is purely "the limit says X, but people are doing it whatever way", then just increase the image size a bit so people won't have to slice them up.
It's silly. And I know I call a lot of things silly, but I mean it here. The day an "exploit" qualifies as posting an extra .jpg image or two is the day I'll eat my hat.
_________________
You think Magic is your ally... but you merely adopted the Art. He was born in it. Molded by it. Sometimes, an angel is simply a devil with better intentions.
Last edited by Dark Immolation on Sat, Jul 30 2016, 22:48 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Stacking images with code is not something I would call an exploit. I'm not aware of rules saying max one image as the current setting for the forums has a hard cap of 255 characters. Which unless I'm mistaken also counts code.
Please dude, the image limit is clearly to stop giant image signatures, and stitching a bunch of them together to get around it is clearly a violation.
_________________ Davion Telemos - Monk of the Four Winds Korthan Isharnos - Dragon Shaman of Thunder Spirit Zamasham
May be if some one spoke to me like a human I would change it.
it wasn't an attack on you lots of people do it. im also not going to ask you to change it cause that doesn't fix the problem of obnoxiously large forum signature images.
there is an upper resolution limit set for a reason.
Stacking images with code is not something I would call an exploit. I'm not aware of rules saying max one image as the current setting for the forums has a hard cap of 255 characters. Which unless I'm mistaken also counts code.
Please dude, the image limit is clearly to stop giant image signatures, and stitching a bunch of them together to get around it is clearly a violation.
So what do we do if the images aren't related to the design then? If you have a setup like: Image Text Image
Same thing code wise and "space"
_________________
Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.
I don't see anything here- Rules FAQ that says this isn't allowed.
images Nothing implicitly states do not do this. It states IMAGES for a reason. Don't pass off your assumptions as fact and the laws of the land because YOU don't like it.
And of course not. You're not going to talk to me but rather try and enforce a new rule because you don't like something I and one other person have done. Rather than have 5 different images for 5 different characters I chose to make something better for one character with in the parameters of the 255 character limit in the coding. You're arguing semantics for the biased sake of your preferences. If it wasn't allowed you would be limited to only ONE image. But were aren't limited to only one we can post several.
As for 'Obnoxious problems' There several I'd love to complain about. But If I did that would ruin fun for others and rain on their parade. But seriously? You're upset about my signature? You've been given alternatives but no. You don't care to compromise you'd rather just have it your way.
_________________
❤ Amia is Fun Again! ❤ #GreenisNotACreativeColour "It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."
I don't understand why anybody is getting so upset about this. This is like the weirdest thing to get upset about from everybody involved.
PS, I don't think anybody has been trying to attack you here, nobody even mentioned you personally, you came in here and voted yourself the pariah for the discussion by saying "glad you guys hate my sig." Nobody is trying to attack you personally here. Commie started this with just saying it fucks up his phone. That's about it.
Tormak, maybe saying flatly that it was dumb was a bit harsh, perhaps just saying that you also didn't think it was in the spirit of the rules would've been best. I'm not trying to lecture you, I'm very often the one being lectured because I am harsh with a bit of frequency. I'm not playing the holier than thou game.
For anybody that is somehow "harmed" by these signatures, just turn off your phone signatures until we have a decision on this. I'm pretty sure that's one of the exact reasons why a "turn off signature" option even exists. Easy compromise until we have a solution.
I don't see anything here- Rules FAQ that says this isn't allowed.
images Nothing implicitly states do not do this. It states IMAGES for a reason. Don't pass off your assumptions as fact and the laws of the land because YOU don't like it.
And of course not. You're not going to talk to me but rather try and enforce a new rule because you don't like something I and one other person have done. Rather than have 5 different images for 5 different characters I chose to make something better for one character with in the parameters of the 255 character limit in the coding. You're arguing semantics for the biased sake of your preferences. If it wasn't allowed you would be limited to only ONE image. But were aren't limited to only one we can post several.
As for 'Obnoxious problems' There several I'd love to complain about. But If I did that would ruin fun for others and rain on their parade. But seriously? You're upset about my signature? You've been given alternatives but no. You don't care to compromise you'd rather just have it your way.
Why would the image rules give you a size limit if you were just allowed to hook a bunch of them together to get around the size limit? There's no point to putting a size limit in the first place then, and it would just let you upload bigger ones. These sorts of things are implicit in the rules and shouldn't need to be spelled out because people want to try to be coy and work around them. "Your images" is english grammar implying speaking to a plural audience, btw - it's not directly indicative of "you can just bypass this image limit".
"You are not allowed to stitch half a dozen tiny images together to make one giant one" seems like arule that really should not need to be stated, because it is implied in the fac tthta your images may only be so large to begin with.
_________________ Davion Telemos - Monk of the Four Winds Korthan Isharnos - Dragon Shaman of Thunder Spirit Zamasham
I get it. I'm not allowed to enjoy anything I make. Beaus apparently I'm breaking non existent rules. Fact remains it's not stated implicitly anywhere. Fact remains it's a ridiculous thing to be annoyed about. Nothing I do is right apparently; so why should I bother?
_________________
❤ Amia is Fun Again! ❤ #GreenisNotACreativeColour "It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."
Joined: 20 Apr 2008 Location: The downeaster "Alexa"
You won't do your cause any good by overly victimizing yourself. No one is saying any of that stuff PS.
BUT, it is a stupid thing to get people up in arms about. 500 x 50 pixels is an arbitrary number; there's nothing magical about it. It's not some miracle resolution that keeps this computer or that one from having loading issues.
If you phone is being lagged by a couple of extra images in someone's sig, it's getting lagged when you load basically anything with images. Even then, AFAIK a browser's only gotta pull each image once, it's not like a image intensive thread where each one is coming from a different URL. Hell, when my connection was shit, Gif avatars tended to lag me more than anything. That's not a poster's or threads fault. The solution to Commie's phone woes was to disable signatures, as is provided already as an option, not make this a witch hunt about people who, if they were exploiting a goddamn thing, weren't doing it in a way that messed with anyone until someone cried "oppression!". It's the most bullshit thing for something never to be a problem, and then it suddenly becoming a problem for one person, and then we fucking trip over ourselves to accommodate them no matter the cost. It's beginning to be a trope at this point.
Anyway, that should have been this entire thread in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to getting back to real issues now.
_________________
You think Magic is your ally... but you merely adopted the Art. He was born in it. Molded by it. Sometimes, an angel is simply a devil with better intentions.
Joined: 02 Jun 2015 Location: Georgia, United States.
PassionateShadow wrote:
I get it. I'm not allowed to enjoy anything I make. Beaus apparently I'm breaking non existent rules. Fact remains it's not stated implicitly anywhere. Fact remains it's a ridiculous thing to be annoyed about. Nothing I do is right apparently; so why should I bother?
Just because somethings aren't in the rules, doesn't mean they don't qualify for such rule. In this particular manner, if anyone stitches together multiple Signatures to bypass the set limit, then their not following the reason why such limit was placed. It is the principle of the set limit. But I'm sure technicalities can be made if this was honestly a "big" issue.
Either way.. There is always an individual who finds an exploit in the system. Not everything can be made into a rule. But just because the rules aren't written down in black and white doesn't mean they're not there.. Y'dig?
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 126 guests
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum