AMIA ARCHIVE
https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/

Glim; You will be missed è_è
https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72560
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Mobile_Svensk [ Tue, Jul 23 2013, 17:14 PM ]
Post subject:  Glim; You will be missed è_è

Image

Thank you for enriching out time here on Amia. è_e

Author:  Cratz [ Tue, Jul 23 2013, 17:17 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

He's not leaving yet.

...Quick, someone grab the rope and duct tape!

Author:  666WaysToHell [ Tue, Jul 23 2013, 17:25 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Aww, I miss the RP his character (whose name I've forgotten) and my Mulhorandi wizard (whose name I've also forgotten) shared.

Bon voyage, fine sir!

Author:  Sphinx [ Tue, Jul 23 2013, 18:33 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

I don't appreciate the direction our playerbase is going.

Author:  Naivatkal [ Tue, Jul 23 2013, 18:36 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

*stares*

No. Bad Glimmer. No.

Author:  MisterLich [ Tue, Jul 23 2013, 19:00 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

I don't understand, I only arrived a week or two ago. What direction is the playerbase heading that seems to be unappreciated by Glim and Sphinx?

Author:  Liz [ Tue, Jul 23 2013, 19:27 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

I has a sad. I has sad, sad feels.

Author:  Aiseth [ Tue, Jul 23 2013, 19:39 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work making Tarkuul come alive, as well as countless design and development packages that has made the server very unique and immersible for me over the years.

:)

Author:  Anatida [ Tue, Jul 23 2013, 19:41 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

*Sadface* Thanks for everything Glim

Author:  Dunecat [ Tue, Jul 23 2013, 20:25 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

So long and thanks for the fish, Glim. Hope to see you back / around, eventually.

Author:  AzureLuna [ Tue, Jul 23 2013, 23:12 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

That'll do, Glim. That'll do. <3

Also:
Sphinx wrote:
I don't appreciate the direction our playerbase is going.

MisterLich wrote:
What direction is the playerbase heading[...]


Exactly. Nuff said.

Author:  PaladinOfSune [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 0:31 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

I don't think Glim wanted this topic to be focused on particular people's opinions on the server's players. Congratulate Glim on all the great stuff he's done here instead of bringing the topic down.

Author:  Selmak [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 1:12 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Hey Glim. You seriously rock. Wish you the best with whatever you're going to be doing in the future. :)

Author:  Genar_Detkasa [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 1:48 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

:cry: All good things must come to an end, thank you for all you've put in Glim.

Author:  MisterLich [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 2:07 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

AzureLuna wrote:
That'll do, Glim. That'll do. <3

Also:
Sphinx wrote:
I don't appreciate the direction our playerbase is going.

MisterLich wrote:
What direction is the playerbase heading[...]


Exactly. Nuff said.



So you're saying that since I'm brand new here and trying to figure out why a DM is quitting, I'm somehow part of the problem? Classy.

Author:  wolfurt [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 2:08 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Meh.

Author:  NinjaClarinet [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 2:20 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

MisterLich wrote:
AzureLuna wrote:
That'll do, Glim. That'll do. <3

Also:
Sphinx wrote:
I don't appreciate the direction our playerbase is going.

MisterLich wrote:
What direction is the playerbase heading[...]


Exactly. Nuff said.



So you're saying that since I'm brand new here and trying to figure out why a DM is quitting, I'm somehow part of the problem? Classy.



Right over your head. To translate the Azure-Speak: There is no direction or oversight, which is overwhelmingly the source of the prevailing ennui and the reason most of the departing players gave me when they spoke to me. The Amia story is painfully stagnant. Now you know, but since you're new, don't let the bitter folks sour your impression. Best to come to the conclusions yourself ;)

Author:  NinjaClarinet [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 2:25 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

And to contribute on-topic: Glim is likely the best thing to have happened to Amia, and the entire reason I gave the place a second chance. I enjoyed being able to explore a new character under him, as did many others. It's an experience not to be missed if you ever find yourself around him again. :D

Author:  MisterLich [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 2:45 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Ah, I see.

Well, I am sorry Glim is quitting, now that I just got to Tarkuul and was hoping to RP with him :( But I hope he has fun elsewhere!

Author:  AzureLuna [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 4:28 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Sorry to confuse you with my ambiguous statements, especially since you're obviously so brand new.

Author:  Remal [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 6:15 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

:shock: :o :cry:

Thanks for everything, Glim. You did awesome job as a DM, and beyond. I hope you do return.
I wish you best with whatever you decide to do.

Author:  Guardian [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 6:29 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Cheerio, Glim. You've made Tarkuul what it is now, and that speaks for itself.

Author:  Kudark [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 8:08 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Sorry to see you go man, take care.

Author:  Aeqvinox [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 11:05 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

I don't even know what to say, other than "Glim don't give up".

When a DM leaves, and his reasons are not RL, it's highly disturbing and demotivating. You should've lied that your dog ran away to Alaska or something, not hint at internal problems ;(

Author:  Ice [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 13:47 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

What D:?
No!
Break his legs! Don't let him get away!

Author:  Alaria- [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 14:34 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Hello Glim

I wish you the best in whichever direction you will travel. I hope that you will find your way back here eventually, either as a player or a DM again. The 'hunger' for RP usually returns over time. :)

Goodbye for now

Author:  speedgrab [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 16:47 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Image

Good speech. May life on the other side treat you fairer than most.

Author:  RaveN [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 17:22 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

NinjaClarinet wrote:
Right over your head. To translate the Azure-Speak: There is no direction or oversight, which is overwhelmingly the source of the prevailing ennui and the reason most of the departing players gave me when they spoke to me. The Amia story is painfully stagnant. Now you know, but since you're new, don't let the bitter folks sour your impression. Best to come to the conclusions yourself ;)


This particular issue is twofold:

1] Most plots and areas require a DM to actually get the ball rolling, and whenever you don't have a DM, the RP is seemingly unaccounted for an ultimately, meaningless.

2] Players themselves lack ambition because getting a DM to do #1 is often times too much work, and therefore, it encourages a stagnating cycle of waiting for DM. People on amia have become so obsessed with #1, that nobody is willing to change any part of the story without asking a DM first.

Glim did a great job in Tarkuul, but hear me out, and I know alot of you probably will disagree with me, but I figure we can talk philosophy anyways.

Most of what pushes stories forward in a positive slope, in my experience was 100% player driven. The Banite faction received little to no help, in fact, more pain than help, so we were forced to do all of our RP basically without a DM. That's how we kept things from being stagnant, and moving forward. Tarkuul in my recent experience was DM driven, and everyone did stuff, and expected a DM response, either by the DM itself, the voice, or any other agent within Tarkuul. Granted, I did quit for a while, so I might've missed a change in queue, but from what I saw, the RP was largely dependent on a DM. This is the same with alot of Amia, and unfortunately, there's so many rules that basically force this to be the case, that it will probably be difficult to uproot. When you complain that the playerbase is stagnant and boring, it probably is-- and that's because of this paradigm. If you want something to be less boring, people are going to need to be able to change stories without needing DM oversight to do things. tldr; player driven factions are going to be more fun than DM driven factions.

Edit: Furthermore, take this idea FWIW: In my opinion, you, as players should be allowed to attack NPC's, or a place, without requiring DM consent, but the damage you deal would be limited, so that it wouldn't require module changes, but rather, roleplay from the victim side, on how to respond to this event. Too often have I been party to events where you can't do X because "it's not fun" or "it's too easy." If someone isn't there, that is the time to attack. Nobody sneak attacks when everyone is home waiting with buffs. I don't see the problem with this, but I know alot of people cry about metagaming. What really mindboggles me, is that in my experience, when a DM actually controls the NPC's, they get one shotted anyways, and don't do anything significant. It would make more sense to beef them up, and have some kind of penalty for failing the assault. Even if nobody was there for it, there could definitely still be a story to write. You can lose, without losing everything. Unfortunately, too much of these things require DM's who are often times completely reluctant to get involved in these types of events because they're "destructive" and you get whiners who complain, saying "You're just blowing up amia, not creating anything." When in truth, this is part of what makes this world so stagnant.

Author:  AzureLuna [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 20:34 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

[moved to: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72574 ]

Author:  PaladinOfSune [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 20:59 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

I don't particularly appreciate that my initial post was blatantly ignored, nor do I appreciate that this topic is being used as a springboard for this kind of discussion. Furthermore, I don't actually appreciate the the insults toward both our DM team's efforts and our playerbase for not living up to your 'quality'. We have a lot of DMs hard at work trying to bring fun to the players, and we have the same mix of players both experienced toward RP and some not so experienced with it. Coming from someone's who's been here for a lot of years, things haven't changed as much as you may think, and often it's your own perspective that's changed as much as anything.

Nonetheless, this topic isn't appropriate for it. It was opened to thank Glim for his efforts here, which he deserves. Not to discuss what I find is sounding to me like a self-indulgent subject.

Author:  GreatPigeon [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 21:03 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Thank you for the over extreme diligence and skill you used on amia. From dming, ro design, to dev and balancing (sometimes). You will be missed.

Author:  AzureLuna [ Wed, Jul 24 2013, 21:06 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Didn't see your post above Sune, my apologies. I shall move my post elsewhere.

Author:  Terent [ Wed, Jul 31 2013, 1:46 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

I have no idea why you are leaving, but I know you posted in my shadar kai character creation request thread. I am new here, but you appeared to be a great beacon on this server at least by the looks of the forums. Wish you the best in wherever the road may take you.

Author:  Glim [ Wed, Sep 25 2013, 19:45 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Once I get my rig sorted out so I can actually run any sort of 3D graphics again, I'm going to give things another shot, starting with working in tandem with slkNihilus on Tarkuul and hopefully branching out into the rest of Amia to start drawing some of the disparate elements together cohesively. Now that I've settled into my new job some (and it's not quite as demanding as I thought it would be), and with the constructive feedback I've been reading in the Identity thread, it's made me want to start pushing at improving things again, and enriching the server along with the rest of the staff here.

Author:  Liz [ Wed, Sep 25 2013, 19:55 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Can we implement a Like button, so I can Like that last post about a thousand times?

Author:  Silkelock [ Wed, Sep 25 2013, 19:57 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Glim wrote:
Once I get my rig sorted out so I can actually run any sort of 3D graphics again, I'm going to give things another shot, starting with working in tandem with slkNihilus on Tarkuul and hopefully branching out into the rest of Amia to start drawing some of the disparate elements together cohesively. Now that I've settled into my new job some (and it's not quite as demanding as I thought it would be), and with the constructive feedback I've been reading in the Identity thread, it's made me want to start pushing at improving things again, and enriching the server along with the rest of the staff here.



Tears of joy!

Author:  Yossarin [ Wed, Sep 25 2013, 20:02 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

I am happy you are feeling better about everything, Glim. You are one of the best things to happen to Amia in a long time.

Author:  Mr. Hackums [ Wed, Sep 25 2013, 20:09 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Yossarin wrote:
I am happy you are feeling better about everything, Glim. You are one of the best things to happen to Amia in a long time.

Author:  Dead [ Wed, Sep 25 2013, 20:18 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Mr. Hackums wrote:
Yossarin wrote:
I am happy you are feeling better about everything, Glim. You are one of the best things to happen to Amia in a long time.


:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Author:  Anatida [ Wed, Sep 25 2013, 20:46 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Dead wrote:
Mr. Hackums wrote:
Yossarin wrote:
I am happy you are feeling better about everything, Glim. You are one of the best things to happen to Amia in a long time.


:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Author:  Thelongjourney [ Wed, Sep 25 2013, 20:55 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

:D

Author:  NinjaClarinet [ Wed, Sep 25 2013, 22:34 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Well shit.

Author:  DustSpray101 [ Thu, Sep 26 2013, 0:39 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

As the saying goes:

"You can leave, but you'll be back. You'll always be back..."

Author:  Naivatkal [ Thu, Sep 26 2013, 1:26 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Just call us Hotel Amia.

Author:  Genar_Detkasa [ Thu, Sep 26 2013, 3:15 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

HELL YEAH!

Author:  bobofwestoregonusa [ Thu, Sep 26 2013, 12:13 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

I'm sort of in agreement here that Glim is to good for one section of the server :mrgreen:

Author:  ChrisP [ Thu, Sep 26 2013, 13:00 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Glim wrote:
Once I get my rig sorted out so I can actually run any sort of 3D graphics again, I'm going to give things another shot, starting with working in tandem with slkNihilus on Tarkuul and hopefully branching out into the rest of Amia to start drawing some of the disparate elements together cohesively. Now that I've settled into my new job some (and it's not quite as demanding as I thought it would be), and with the constructive feedback I've been reading in the Identity thread, it's made me want to start pushing at improving things again, and enriching the server along with the rest of the staff here.



I am pleased to read this. I haven't really worked with you, but i am excited about the Identity discussion.

Author:  Ramika [ Sun, Sep 29 2013, 15:55 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: Glim; You will be missed è_è

Glim wrote:
Once I get my rig sorted out so I can actually run any sort of 3D graphics again, I'm going to give things another shot, starting with working in tandem with slkNihilus on Tarkuul and hopefully branching out into the rest of Amia to start drawing some of the disparate elements together cohesively. Now that I've settled into my new job some (and it's not quite as demanding as I thought it would be), and with the constructive feedback I've been reading in the Identity thread, it's made me want to start pushing at improving things again, and enriching the server along with the rest of the staff here.



*thumbs up*

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/