| AMIA ARCHIVE https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/ |
|
| Reflection of the Old Days https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71954 |
Page 1 of 5 |
| Author: | Galenson [ Sat, Jun 01 2013, 14:05 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Reflection of the Old Days |
Recently, I crossed my 7th year from joining these forums and after realising that it got me thinking of the days when I first joined them. Amia's changed quite a lot since 2006, but for nostalgia's sake I thought I'd give those newer players a glimpse of what it was like back then: * Back then I had a comp with a Pentium 4, an AGP Motherboard, 256mb of RAM, a Leadtek 5600GT and a 17" CRT Monitor with 1600x1200 screen resolution. * First and foremost, Amia was a single server back then. Spamming direct connect was a huge pain in the butt. * There were no carts: you had to walk everywhere. * Portal Rods were far different back then. They were 3x use per day and spawned a portal (which during busy times were horrendously laggy and half the time never worked). You had nowhere near as many leylines either: only a handful of mushrooms scattered in prominent areas as well as citizenship papers. Every town / location had a portal too that allowed you to port to the party leader. * Mythals didn't exist. Instead Thayvian items and compenents were the shiz. Some toons still have them I believe. * Cordor was still old Cordor. - There was an East, a West and a Graveyard to the south. No fancy canals. It was half the size too. - The Temple of Torm (yes, Torm) was located on the top left corner of Cordor East, with Hoars smithy and the Gnome being directly across the road. - The Nomad was the old Nomad. - You could access everywhere nearly underground between Cordor and Bendir, including my favourite one: the hole in the warehouse floor. - The Gentleman's club was the Banite / Evil chap hideout back then. - At this point in time, Cordor was ruled by Duke Montgomery and was a no PvP zone. Prior to that however, it was governed by an adventurer's council and was a party PvP area: people were buffed to the teeth whilst standing in town! * Bendir Dale was far different to its current form. It didn't have a wall around it back then and was alot more spread out. * Uhm, the Lowland Delta and the entire Western Coast of Amia was non-existent. Wharftown and the swamps was it. * Lumorier was still an Island accessible from ?Wharftown. * Wyrmhold wasn't a ruin. Aurichon wasn't dead either. * Benwick Hollow, Actand and Kampos didn't exist. The Salandran Temple and Shrine of Eilistraee were located in the Eastern Graveyard on the Eastern side of the Amia Forest. The Shrine looked very different to its current version. The Salandran Temple had alot less water and its Templars wore predominantly red armour instead of silver. * The Grove had its old version and was far smaller then its current version. Same with Winya, which didn't have the Iron Butterfly or "trading areas." * The Troll caves looked more like a perfectly square mine then a cave. * Ultrinnan was the Drow city at the time and was in its first of two versions. Back then Drow had their own special portal system that gave them a few more options then everyone else. Ultrinnan was also surrounded by an Underdark of sorts that included Mind Flayers, Beholders and rebellious Drow the deeper you went. And it was a very long walk to get from the "Underdark" and the exit on the surface that involved going through a svirf/duergar forge of sorts. The Drow houses of the time were: Qos'Yutsu, Arabett, Do'Veldran, Vandree and Tinnerai if I remember correctly. Ultrinnan also had its ridiculous Vanguard back then too: they made Law Knights look like push overs. * The Tower of Mystra was in the Forest of Despair and was still standing at that stage. It was the only access to the Abyss. It also had its own portal system which only mages could use to get to places around the isle. * The Shadowflame Manor was a -big- place back then and the Forest of Despair wasn't inhabited by Lycanthropes: it had displacer beasts and hobgoblins, including the annoying Yowler and its ridiculous concealment bonus. * Tal'ishma the Green Dragon inhabited the cave near the crouching lemur monastery (where the beetle queen now is) and used to drop a scale that gave acid resistance. * Ankh'rehmun was still (debatably) part of Amia itself and consisted of Nes'ek, the Minos (whose transition was in the corner of Nes'ek near the Oasis), and the areas where the beetles are now (which back then were inhabited by Bedine tribes). Ankh'rehmun himself was a boss that needed to be killed to get the Pearl of the Desert and was protected by an army of mummies and Vampires in his tomb. Baulg the Blue Dragon also inhabited where the current Beetle Queen is. * Forrstakkr, all of Ruathym, Wiltun, The Triumvir, Caraigh, Tarkuul and the rest of Khem (not including those areas listed above) didn't exist... and wouldn't exist until years later. * Kohligen wasn't too much different to before its recent update: everything was just in different locations and its Fortress wasn't there. * The Kohligen Manor actually had undead in it. * Captain Guston didn't exist, nor did ship access to nearly everywhere. You had two boats in Cordor: one that went to Brogdenstein and one that went to Kohligen. When you chose to travel, the party literally spent a few minutes on a boat, which if you were unlucky, could get attacked by pirates (which sometimes bugged and you got stock at the pirate encounter). * Brogdenstein was actually a town with its own inn and smithy buildings: Barack Runedar didn't exist back then. As for the monsters... Kraven was incharge of the manor. Icingdeath was where the Abyssal Snowbeast now lurks and Maximus had no restrictions on how many times you could kill him per reset. * Shadowscape was far bigger, consisting of three areas instead of one. Same amount of places in it though. Just more spread out. It was also only accessible from the Amia Forest itself. Not where it currently is. * Zanshibon is still the same. Except you used to be able to talk to Paush. * That bridge in the Howling Pass that led to Guldorand was broken: to get there or to Ankh'rehmun... you had to walk through the spawns. All the time. * The Minmir Bridge was alot wider and had resident ogres. Including Bonk and his loincloth. * The ruins of Udos Dro'xun weren't implemented at that stage. Neither were the epic illithids / Beholders. * Racial gates did not exist. They would be introduced a year later in Kohligen, Cordor and Ultrinnan. * Crafting armour was far different back then. Everything had a crafting DC which meant everyone had sewing needles or crafting hammers. Changing colours also involved having colour dye pots. Some you could buy from the clothes shop, for other colours you had to find the ingredients to make the dye. * There were far less subraces back then: there were no human subraces and half as many half-orc and elf subraces. Some subraces had different ECLs (Duergar had ECL +2 for example). Fey were also a playable subrace and didn't require platinum coins. * The Cordorian Adventure Guard uniforms were far different: their boots were coloured to represent their ranks. Black was recruit, red was private. Blue was Lieutenent, Blue and Gold was captain. It looked hilarious. * Yossarin and Tormaksaber weren't DMs yet at that stage. (They weren't far off though) Magnum and Disco used to actually log in occasionally back then too. * Budly was the resident forum ranter. Herra Tutteri was the resident forum spammer. * The Defenders, Black Flag, Cordorian Guard, Drow Houses and the Shadowflames were the most recognisable factions back then. There were others as well... but I can't remember them, or didn't know about them. * Too many spell / class alterations to list. There was no transmutation books back then. That's only a brief look on how different the server was back then. No doubt there's still players out there who remember before this time and can tell you about Udos Dro'xun or the days when Cordor was dangerous to walk through. Too many areas have been updated, especially since the implementation of update 1.69 and the Hak for me to really describe. Too many monsters have also been replaced, rebalanced or revamped and too many spells have changed for me to effectively list or remember. No doubt the other players who've been around for a while will fill any blanks that I've missed. Anyways, the aim of this post was not to compare the server now to what it was back then but to identify the sheer amount of work that has gone into the evolution of this server over the years from the player, DM and designer/developer levels. The fact that this server is still going strong after nearly a decade of its split from Arelith is something for everyone: player, DM, Designer, Developer and Admin to be rather proud of. So yeah... thanks guys and girls for all your hard work. |
|
| Author: | Jes [ Sat, Jun 01 2013, 14:31 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
I have one! DCs used to give 100xp per level and 500 gold, flat rate. That means it used to take 10 DCs to get one level. ...Some people used them for that back then, too. (Edit: Oh, and they used to be called Dream Cookies, and were actual items that took up space in your inventory. They eventually turned into Dream Coins and went into a DC Purse by using the purse on the cookies. The automatic storage system is fairly recent, in the grand scheme of things!) There used to be several other dragons, and a few random epic spawns in seemingly random places that would gank unwitting low-level groups, (and some high-level groups!). |
|
| Author: | Galenson [ Sat, Jun 01 2013, 14:38 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
There was also that Dreamcoins were actually coins given to you. You didn't have those green rods back then which meant you couldn't recommend people other then shouting in the DM channel. Dice rolls also weren't on the rest menu either. Neither was debuffing, hurting yourself, other server listings or calling for a DM. Rag Dolls were also your best friend for leveling between ECL 6 - 16. |
|
| Author: | Nivo [ Sat, Jun 01 2013, 15:08 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Now I feel like a noob. Moreso. |
|
| Author: | Grymia [ Sat, Jun 01 2013, 15:30 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Ah Galenson I can remember those days as well, with both a measure of fondness and sadness at the same time. Heh.. those were times, long long ago. Incidental note: First incarnation of the Dream Coins would have had it that each DM team member had their own different version of the same item. The Dream Coin was originally my design . ^.^ |
|
| Author: | Ego680 [ Sat, Jun 01 2013, 16:44 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Not to nag, but it was actually only north and south Cordor, not east and west. And the crafting system was a real pain, I remember searching for days and days to pick up real black or white dye. The lack of carts and ley lines I think was actually interesting, because it meant all the lowbies couldn't travel far from Cordor. Being based somewhere else meant you were pretty high up on the level scale and it was still a pain. There were two boats in Cordor South one to Kohl and one to Brog, they both cost hilarious amounts of gold to ride and odds are you'd be attacked by pirates and killed instead of arriving at your destination. Good times. |
|
| Author: | Grymia [ Sat, Jun 01 2013, 16:56 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
The orientation was a North-South, but they were called East/West. I remember because back in those days West Cordor was the slummy area, because my Jiharu Kusama actually had during one point in Amia's history been something of an advocate for the poor helping them as best she could. |
|
| Author: | Mr. Hackums [ Sat, Jun 01 2013, 17:02 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
I remember getting mugged and robbed by PC's in Cordor south! |
|
| Author: | maglorine [ Sat, Jun 01 2013, 17:10 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Mr. Hackums wrote: I remember getting mugged and robbed by PC's in Cordor south! My gnomish wizard Keete, who was like the second pc I ever created here, got mugged by the Black Flag in Cordor South. There were about 6 of them and it was wonderfully executed. Great times. I say bring back the hobgoblins! |
|
| Author: | Righteous Anger [ Sat, Jun 01 2013, 17:32 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
You're all forgetting some of the most important ones: - Wandering Willy used to be a big deal, and used to actually wander. - Death used to cost you XP no matter what, up to losing a level. - If you beat a certain Epic Boss you got an item - an orb - that allowed you to basically request any aesthetic change you wanted for your character (a lot of epics had angel wings due to this). - There was a Hidden Grove accessible from a (obviously) hidden location in Amia Forest North. You had to cross a bridge to get to it that was guarded by a stupidly powerful werewolf (for the area). Then you teleported through a tree to speak with the High Druid -- who had all the best druid stuff. - Going through the Abyss involved parties of 8-15 maximum level adventurers (which was 20 originally, then upped to 25). DMs were allowed to have PCs with higher levels than everyone else. - When Amia's website was first created an image of a certain PC was created in CG and put on the banner. This character was more or less the server's mascot. - Bendir Dale used to be only one building, and it wasn't sunk down into the ground -- it was raised up off the ground. All that was inside was a halfling merchant. - The Mylocks used to have no cave/underground area, and they were an area that everyone hunted while leveling. - There used to be an area above Amia Forest called the Valley of the Spider. It was basically a zigzag that spawned much less varied She'Kat spiders that lead to a central end area of them, which spawned the Queen (not her consort). - Everyone beat the Kohlingen Manor repeatedly because there was a quest, offered by Sigmund of Purity's Refuge (who has a statue now in Kohlingen) that allowed you to get an Thayvian Razor. This item allowed you to put Keen on your weapon. - Mander, Irraere, Khalon, Gabriel, Cedron, Jiharu, Jud'Vardas, Boppi, Torin, Halen and other iconic characters didn't always exist. Very few of you will recognize some of those names. However, each of them are iconic, IC and OOC, and have been for a while. Yet there was a time when each of them was level 2. I actually remember leveling with some of them! |
|
| Author: | Lutra [ Sat, Jun 01 2013, 18:29 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Wow...a lot of old stuff! I would add the smokey Chamberport and my first pvp in there with Uce's hin who wanted to sell drugs to poor Glendil. The direct connection between the Mystra tower and the Triumvir Kelemvorite temple was still in Kohl |
|
| Author: | Liz [ Sat, Jun 01 2013, 19:23 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
I will always and forever be the silly ignorant noob. |
|
| Author: | Sunkin Sheep [ Sat, Jun 01 2013, 19:25 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Don't forget the little cabin in the woods where you could steal some stowed away absinthe from the cellar. And that god awful Celestia area, where it was so bright that it burned your eyes. You could access Ultrinnan from below Cordor, there was a shrine to Lolth in Cordor's underground. Lumorier was a jungle island basically inhabited by druids. |
|
| Author: | Gers [ Sat, Jun 01 2013, 20:26 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Heh, I remember back when the Shrine could only be reached by going through the Grove, and consisted mostly of a wagon with an extradimensional space inside, a waterfall, and a certain cannibalistic troglodyte guardian. Quote: * First and foremost, Amia was a single server back then. Spamming direct connect was a huge pain in the butt. God yes, I remember that. Especially when you were in PVP and you drop connection. FFFFUUUUUUUU- Then there were the epic battles that routinely broke out in Cordor, such as House Vandree vs Roslefusio Kross, Mander vs 20 summoned chickens, and everyone vs the Black Flag. Back when Forstakkyr was first put in, you actually had to buy a hunting license to be allowed outside of the city. And people were freaking out over how powerful the animals were for their levels, given the equipment of the period. I also remember the original Udos.... I seem to recall there was some sort of super-nasty dungeon near it with two dragons and a bunch of House Claddath drow in it. Unfortunately, I never got to actually see it, as none of my toons were epic before Udos got wiped out. |
|
| Author: | Lutra [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 0:06 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Chest of Waukeen? Is it still there? |
|
| Author: | Rigela [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 0:14 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
To look at and bask in awe of the shiny inertness, at least. |
|
| Author: | NinjaClarinet [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 0:23 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Rigela wrote: To look at and bask in awe of the shiny inertness, at least. That pretty much sums of my feelings of "old" Amia. When I first started here I couldn't accomplish jack all. The module and RP were completely static. Left, came back a year later and it's a different ball game |
|
| Author: | Lutra [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 0:35 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
oh wait...Benwick had two chromatic disciple knights who were actually fighting against the Wyrmhold:D:D |
|
| Author: | Righteous Anger [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 2:00 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
I remember when a certain person had a Drow Paladin/Bard -- nudge, nudge. |
|
| Author: | Liz [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 2:24 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Righteous Anger wrote: I remember when a certain person had a Drow Paladin/Bard -- nudge, nudge. I'm not sure that even makes the top 10 of... let's say, "quirks" of the Old Amia that I've heard stories of. The server culture was apparently *radically* different back then... and now you've got me curious: why is that? What motivated Amia to transform from a sort of freewheeling lawless wild west, lorewise, into the relative safe haven for lore junkies that it is presently? |
|
| Author: | Sunkin Sheep [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 2:40 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Gers wrote: Back when Forstakkyr was first put in, you actually had to buy a hunting license to be allowed outside of the city. And people were freaking out over how powerful the animals were for their levels, given the equipment of the period. Oh man that's right. That was such an awesome idea too! You couldn't go hunt as a foreigner without a license. Bring it back!! |
|
| Author: | Cerpin Taxt [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 3:03 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Liz wrote: Righteous Anger wrote: I remember when a certain person had a Drow Paladin/Bard -- nudge, nudge. I'm not sure that even makes the top 10 of... let's say, "quirks" of the Old Amia that I've heard stories of. The server culture was apparently *radically* different back then... and now you've got me curious: why is that? What motivated Amia to transform from a sort of freewheeling lawless wild west, lorewise, into the relative safe haven for lore junkies that it is presently? Tormak. |
|
| Author: | Grymia [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 3:06 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Cerpin Taxt wrote: Liz wrote: Righteous Anger wrote: I remember when a certain person had a Drow Paladin/Bard -- nudge, nudge. I'm not sure that even makes the top 10 of... let's say, "quirks" of the Old Amia that I've heard stories of. The server culture was apparently *radically* different back then... and now you've got me curious: why is that? What motivated Amia to transform from a sort of freewheeling lawless wild west, lorewise, into the relative safe haven for lore junkies that it is presently? Tormak. Might be so but I don't think it's a bad change in the least. I used to DM here and I do think that now things are a good deal better. Improvement room still exists but.. it's still better in ways then it used to be. Not sure which Drow Paladin Bard you're speaking of though. |
|
| Author: | Righteous Anger [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 3:35 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Grymia wrote: Might be so but I don't think it's a bad change in the least. I used to DM here and I do think that now things are a good deal better. Improvement room still exists but.. it's still better in ways then it used to be. Not sure which Drow Paladin Bard you're speaking of though. I'm teasing at someone who's read this thread, is all. It's nice to reminisce and look back at how far we've come. And, yes, we've come a long way in a positive direction. Amia is still rather free-wheeling, but it's more controlled and focused. I love this server. |
|
| Author: | Gers [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 4:05 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Drow paladin/bard.... You have no idea how many times I've been on Jud and someone asked me in a tell "WTF? How does a paladin get curse song?"
|
|
| Author: | Grymia [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 4:06 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Ahhhh *noddles* Now I get it. ^.^; |
|
| Author: | IronAngel [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 7:45 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
To answer Liz, I think it was a gradual process. I think the DM team started to pay more attention around 2006-2007, with DMs like Jen introducing lore in their areas of interest. I would say we became more centralized and pacified between 2007 and 2008, under Nekh's guidance, with me and Ron (I think) writing subrace descriptions, Tormak, Semidi and Yossarin contributing a lot to area lore, etc. We also clarified character creation and other rules, partially because Nekh and me were bureaucratic bitches who would badger others about it. It was a pretty natural change when the new people working with this material had different interests and perspectives. It also had to do with Disco taking over the development in a more centralized fashion; not that he was a lore junkie himself, but he designed coherent things and asked others for lore input. I'm probably leaving out a lot of individual factors and contributions, but those are some of the things I can pinpoint from my perspective. It's funny that none of this feels to me like it's old. The times when I started here feel distant, to be sure, but everything that's happened after that still seems like a new thing. And yeah, Kir'nack has both Thayvian components and a greatsword that was originally crafted by Brognar Stonefist (or what's the last name?) and acquired by Scarlett Veheer who auctioned it to him. I think that's pretty cool, I don't know how old it really is. Possibly older than my characters. |
|
| Author: | Sunkin Sheep [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 8:27 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Think of it this way: For some of us, it will soon be 8 years. That's a prison sentence! |
|
| Author: | Lutra [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 9:35 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
The time when Kohlingen was more tolerant than Cordor. |
|
| Author: | Bini [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 9:40 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Lutra wrote: The time when Kohlingen was more tolerant than Cordor. This is a thread about the old days, not the current situation. |
|
| Author: | Terra_777 [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 16:31 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Back then I was like 14, my biggest dream was to be a DM, I didnt know a single bit of scripting or programming. I got booted/banned for shooting ray of frosts on npc guards while using acronyms in very badly spelled RP. And all I remember is Cordor being this single street prettymuch, no odd canals though the place and farmer Holvin was still young too and had no sons. |
|
| Author: | Guardian [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 16:44 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Badass sewers under Kohlingen. |
|
| Author: | 666WaysToHell [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 16:51 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Bini wrote: Lutra wrote: The time when Kohlingen was more tolerant than Cordor. This is a thread about the old days, not the current situation. What?! Someone nearly got accused of rape and executed for winking at a guard! How's that tolerant! |
|
| Author: | The Great Equalizer [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 16:58 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Ah I remember going to cordor with my evil, batshit crazy drow Sorcerer just because you could do that back then. There was some rather awesome drow stuff back then (as well as WAY too much OOC crap at times) but most fondely I remember when us Tinnerai people raided the hell of of Wynya for what I think was the first time and stealing a statue of Correlon. Ultrinnan and its main street will also apparently always be what I think of when it comes to drow... Probably since so much of the RP happened there since its where everyone always was. I also remember when disco first put in the item crafting system... and getting a talking to after I figured out that it had a "little" problem where you could create duplicates of the weapons that the polymorph forms used. Balor greatswords are neat. |
|
| Author: | Bini [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 19:03 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
666WaysToHell wrote: Bini wrote: Lutra wrote: The time when Kohlingen was more tolerant than Cordor. This is a thread about the old days, not the current situation. What?! Someone nearly got accused of rape and executed for winking at a guard! How's that tolerant! There are more drow in Kohlingen than Cordor and they let evil conjurers go free! |
|
| Author: | PaladinOfSune [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 19:24 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Nostalgia is overrated. |
|
| Author: | Gravemaskin [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 20:01 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
I miss the good old days when playing a good drow meant enduring proper hatred and mistrust. Never had as much fun levelling a char as I did with my Eilistraeean. His very first hunting trip involved running into 3 elves that after barely being convinced not to kill him, demanded he strip down, wield a towershield and serve as distraction to the Trogs while they shot them with arrows. Wasn't even allowed a sword. Good times |
|
| Author: | TheCortroy [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 21:16 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
I miss Bendir's waterfall cave. |
|
| Author: | BeautifulLie [ Sun, Jun 02 2013, 22:30 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
I remember when Udos was first around before Ultrinnan (also being there for when Udos fell man that was a nightmare), I remember failing as a drow originally cause I didn't understand them (I was a bard/RDD and quite loveable), creating a fairy (Nyp) and making it to 30 as a I think 26 Rogue 4 SD hips spamming 18d6 sneaker[Was told I was the first fairy to make it to 30]. I remember when Grymia played his shifter... Grymia(Whom Nyp still remembers and adores for his world war 1 or 2 ptsd) and his paladin female friend with the smite evil halberd of doom that I -think- cracked someone upside the head for 900+ dmg and just had me going O_O. I remember getting to be one of the first to 'test' the fire giant tower before it was implimented. I remember brog goblins spamming wails/horrid wilting/IGMS/black blade of disaster. I remember a burnt dying tree outside cordor that was 'touched' by Tiamat. I still have 3 emblems for the dead thieves guild 'Dimming Light' I think that area was removed but it was a goblin hidey hole before the goblins had their own area. I remember the day they killed Imperator and I tried to help fight in this massive dragon war getting crushed near instantly... oh the list goes on... I remember being the first official High Priestess of Lolth and thinking I was playing it well and then screwing up so horribly ;-; hehe I also can state with confidence after all this time I still know jack for how to build a character and have to beg builders to help me -still- lol. Oh yes I remember Cluckzilla and the PC who pretended to be a chicken god. Also I remember being a right idiot and killing something like 40+ people spamming aoe spells in Cordor with a mad mage and then my friend a tiefling on the adventurer's council sprung me out to the abyss... and a DM scolded me. I felt like a retard Even though i've from time to time dissapeared I keep coming back and I think that's because this is a great place, it's a part of my RP history and sculpted me into the player I am today which I like to think is a lot better than I was but still striving to improve. |
|
| Author: | Sunkin Sheep [ Mon, Jun 03 2013, 0:23 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Haha, Underdark. I remember a very confused blue-haired golem thing, sitting on Lolth's alter, then watching the avatar Eilistraee appear in Underdark to strangle the avatar of Lolth with her own whip. The most epic cat fight. Somehow Lolth escaped, so did Mynna. |
|
| Author: | Galenson [ Mon, Jun 03 2013, 9:20 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
PaladinOfSune wrote: Nostalgia is overrated. Agreed. Sometimes it's nice to look at how things have progressed however. |
|
| Author: | ShadowRayne [ Mon, Jun 03 2013, 9:50 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Mr. Hackums wrote: I remember getting mugged and robbed by PC's in Cordor south! I did that a few times >.> Maybe I mugged you once... XD If it was fully RP based then the chances are I did! =P |
|
| Author: | Vinasius [ Mon, Jun 03 2013, 10:04 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
I remember the time there were sooo many RDD's before they were nerfed sitting around cordor square and talking shit and showing off their flying widgets. I also remember when Gareb Vasante, Paldo Crook and Hexx Stonebeard led the best damn criminal RP in south Cordor before it was a non-pvp area. Freaking epic playtimes, no such thing these days. I also remembered creating a breakdancing bard who was a rapper in the real world and through a freak accident world transported into amia but he'd use refferences to Real life. Ie. modern day technology and hip hop songs.. and what not and people would say to get in character but I already was. Best part was.. a DM pulled me aside and when i explained my character concept he 'Okayed it' Awesomest best times. |
|
| Author: | Guardian [ Mon, Jun 03 2013, 13:01 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Vinasius wrote: I also remembered creating a breakdancing bard who was a rapper in the real world and through a freak accident world transported into amia but he'd use refferences to Real life. Ie. modern day technology and hip hop songs.. and what not and people would say to get in character but I already was. Best part was.. a DM pulled me aside and when i explained my character concept he 'Okayed it' Yeah... a shame the Caraigh Asylum was not up back then. You'd end up as a prime patient in a matter of seconds. |
|
| Author: | TormakSaber [ Fri, Jun 07 2013, 3:56 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Cerpin Taxt wrote: Liz wrote: Righteous Anger wrote: I remember when a certain person had a Drow Paladin/Bard -- nudge, nudge. I'm not sure that even makes the top 10 of... let's say, "quirks" of the Old Amia that I've heard stories of. The server culture was apparently *radically* different back then... and now you've got me curious: why is that? What motivated Amia to transform from a sort of freewheeling lawless wild west, lorewise, into the relative safe haven for lore junkies that it is presently? Tormak. Oh geez, don't give me that much credit, I don't deserve a half or a quarter or even an eighth, it was so much a team effort, like Iron covered. Quote: - Mander, Irraere, Khalon, Gabriel, Cedron, Jiharu, Jud'Vardas, Boppi, Torin, Halen and other iconic characters didn't always exist. Very few of you will recognize some of those names. However, each of them are iconic, IC and OOC, and have been for a while. Yet there was a time when each of them was level 2. I actually remember leveling with some of them! Haha, I don't think Torin belongs in a list like that before ... so many people who I recall but names I've forgotten. Sinqnew. Revan. Shovelface McGee. Old Abyss is best Abyss, you guys are baby pansies, Suney, load up old Abyss for a week and let them do it! P.S. That orb was bullshit. |
|
| Author: | corypx [ Fri, Jun 07 2013, 4:58 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
I remember back in the day when only about two people played shifters as mains, Chia and I. |
|
| Author: | Dead [ Fri, Jun 07 2013, 11:48 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
| Author: | P Three [ Fri, Jun 07 2013, 12:27 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
I remember a fairly massive PVP brawl in South Cordor where the Banites finally took Vaylek. XD It was fan-fucking-tabulous, I think everyone but me died. |
|
| Author: | DerkDerkistan [ Fri, Jun 07 2013, 12:33 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Every day was massive PvP brawls in South Cordor. |
|
| Author: | maglorine [ Fri, Jun 07 2013, 13:04 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reflection of the Old Days |
Little known fun fact: A few years ago Furth, Pinky, and Hamar Jamar were ready to defect to Bendir Dale taking their massive trading businesses with them. In a last minute deal between Duke Montgomery and Mayor Nof Barshedge, they remained in Cordor and in compensation Bendir acquired all of South Cordors PvP brawls and a player to be named later. |
|
| Page 1 of 5 | All times are UTC |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|