| AMIA ARCHIVE https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/ |
|
| suggestion for auctions https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62121 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | psycho [ Thu, Nov 10 2011, 4:02 AM ] |
| Post subject: | suggestion for auctions |
I've noticed some of you do it, would it be possible to indicate -what- the properties of items are please? I mean, ring of protection fifth tier is pretty much self explanatory, but Mage's Foe Cloth, Arcane Defiance Gloves or something and Ghostly Abyssal Black Sword of Anhihilation isn't. (okay made up the last one...) Just a suggestion. It's just seems to me a bit unfair to those whose characters are "Epic Lootbin Hunters" to known the properties by heart, while some of us don't have a clue what each thing is, thus, feel clueless in some auctions! |
|
| Author: | TormakSaber [ Thu, Nov 10 2011, 4:20 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: suggestion for auctions |
Ask IC. |
|
| Author: | Murex [ Thu, Nov 10 2011, 23:24 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: suggestion for auctions |
It would be nice to know the properties of all the diety rings. I would probably buy some if I knew what they did. Just sayin. |
|
| Author: | TormakSaber [ Thu, Nov 10 2011, 23:30 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: suggestion for auctions |
TormakSaber wrote: Ask IC. |
|
| Author: | psycho [ Fri, Nov 11 2011, 8:45 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: suggestion for auctions |
While I find the answer incomplete, seems it shall stay the same and I find the benefit/inconvience ratio of arguing it counterproductive. Thank you for the response, Tormak. |
|
| Author: | Dwagin [ Fri, Nov 11 2011, 9:14 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: suggestion for auctions |
Does your out of character knowledge affect why your character would or wouldn't buy it? The answer to that is: It shouldn't, because that is meta-gaming. If your character finds out what it does, then he/she/it should be the one deciding whether or not they want it. As an example; There have been times where my characters have spent more/purchased something/did something/acted on something that I knew was a flop. Why? Because they didn't. Or because they valued it far more than I know the economy would. - Because it was what they thought it was worth to them. - Simply because of their knowledge or lack of knowledge, or understanding, or charisma, or .. I'm sure you get the picture. |
|
| Author: | psycho [ Fri, Nov 11 2011, 9:18 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: suggestion for auctions |
I do, absolutely and I agree! but then again -if- item properties are IC knowledge only, why can some people write the properties in parenthesis then? Would it not encourage people to buy the items on an OOC basis, as if makes people aware of their properties OOCly? My point is, there's no coherence between people -selling- their items, that can write what they want (encourageing metagaming, if I follow your logic) and the -buyers-, who are expected to find out IN CHARACTER, even though they have half the items described to them in detail, OOCly, and the other half -non- described. There are also some things we all -all- metagame. + 12 ability bonus maximum from items, for example, how do you explain that in IC knowledge? Everyone should then, with each character, purchase too many ABILITY + items and realise it doesn't make them better after a certain point. I do get the picture, I assure you, but there's also something here that just doesn't follow the logic. I won't argue the fact item properties should be found out IC. Whether I agree of not with that guideline isn't the point. The point is, if they indeed -should- be found out ICly, they should be found out ICly all the time, no? |
|
| Author: | Jes [ Fri, Nov 11 2011, 11:09 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: suggestion for auctions |
Personally, when I post auctions and put the abilities in parentheses, it's solely for the sake of visual cleanliness. Listing them in the parentheses allows the player to understand immediately, rather than droning on for three lines and hoping they get the picture. Perhaps some might think it's improper to do that, but I blame the perfectionist in me for being unable to post two or three lines of some attempt at IC describing the powers that messes up my visual formatting! |
|
| Author: | psycho [ Fri, Nov 11 2011, 15:14 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: suggestion for auctions |
I personnally find what you do is fine! My point was just to get a clear idea if items properties are supposed to be known IC or not? As that's what's asked of us players, to ask IC. |
|
| Author: | Merrien [ Fri, Nov 11 2011, 15:54 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: suggestion for auctions |
Idea for an IC approach: Your character is a mage, say, and sees "Magely Ring of Power" for sale. Character thinks: "Hm, that sounds like it might be something I'd be interested in!" Drop a note on the auction or in PM as an IC letter: "Dear AuctionPerson, I see you have a "Magely Ring of Power" for sale. I'm a mage; how might it be powerful for me?" --obviously this post is tongue-in-cheek, but you might expect the person to answer you with some actual stat details (coded in IC, perhaps with an //explanation of actual properties). "It is said to increase the power of your brain, making you smarter!" //+3 INT or something to that effect. |
|
| Author: | Lutra [ Fri, Nov 11 2011, 17:37 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: suggestion for auctions |
Make the auctions IG and not on the forum...that would help. |
|
| Author: | Merrien [ Fri, Nov 11 2011, 17:40 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: suggestion for auctions |
Lutra wrote: Make the auctions IG and not on the forum...that would help. A logistical nightmare. The events that I think some are trying to start working on with merchant days/etc. would help, but in general this just isn't very feasible in a game like this one, not if you want to maximize player participation. |
|
| Author: | psycho [ Fri, Nov 11 2011, 18:26 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: suggestion for auctions |
Hmmn. Interesting ideas. I've always thought RP perfectionnism was more relevant to what happens in the actual -game- than what's on the forums, concerning "items properties". I've been on several "hardcore" rp servers where item properties where described expressedly. The choice was made by DM's to facilitate purchases, which where considered less important in regards to RP, while priorizing efforts in RP for more important things as creating interesting stories, conflicts, making the world a breathing, living world, etc. By described, I meant expressedly written on the forums. For example, a Masterly Damask weapon grants + 3 enchantment, + 6 slashing, for example. But, it dependings on the DM's view on the topic and making item properties to be found IC can be okay too. |
|
| Author: | Murex [ Sat, Nov 12 2011, 5:49 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: suggestion for auctions |
Amia must become your reality!!!! |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|