AMIA ARCHIVE
https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/

The Sorcerous Source
https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47557
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Dark Immolation [ Thu, May 13 2010, 0:57 AM ]
Post subject:  The Sorcerous Source

As many may know, one of my favorite classes is sorcerer, for both power and the great RP. It's like being a freakin' super hero, when you think about it! One day you just wake up, and you can chuck fireballs, levitate things, zap things with lazer eyebeams >_>

Recently I've been looking into the Pathfinder setting alot for D&D and one of the things I'm liking a lot about it is the different "bloodline paths" it has for the class. It's often thought both IC and OoC that a sorcerer's magical powers come from having draconic blood, but in actuality, they can pretty much be from any heritage of innately magical race or creature. A sorcerer gains abilities and bonii depending on their magical bloodline as they advance in sorcerer. It's like someone combined Sorcerer and Dragon Disciple(quite literally in the case of the Draconic Bloodline), except the creature you become more like can be almost any magical race. The bloodline choices go Aberrant, Abyssal, Arcane, Celestial, Destined, Draconic, Elemental, Fey, Infernal and Undead. Usually, these backgrounds manifest of course in the spell selection a sorceror develops, ie an fire elemental bloodline sorc likely develops a lot of fire-based spells or a Undead bloodline sorc having a lot of nercomany or undead-creating spells. Link to sorc and bloodlines info.

So, players of Amian Sorcies, have you ever thought of the source of your sorcerer's power? If so, what is it if you care to share? Wizard players if it pains you so, you can tell what got your magic-stealer- I mean wizzy into the Art as well...hmph.

I'll start off with my sorcerous brute, Beldor. I dunno, it's still something mysterious. He knows he at least has a Blue Dragon in his far, far removed family tree and in his early years on Amia was studying to become a Blue Dragon Disciple for some time, until he realized blue dragons opposed his free nature and scales would ruin his complextion. Hence the reason for his first developed spells being electricity based, and through the BoT I still rp him as corrupting Cone of Cold to a wave-of-lightening effect. He's still not sure if that is the soul source of his magic though, as his manifested spells seem slightly amorphous and responsive to his emotions over long periods of time. He is still ICly researching and lecturing those who'll listen about the idea of "Knots in the Weave", or rather, people who are born sorcerous through tangles in the weave, as it flows throughout everyone and everything in toril. As he believes this may be an explanation for his own case, Arcane could just as likely be his "bloodline", if he had one.

Author:  HellScourge [ Thu, May 13 2010, 6:46 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

For my Drow sorceress would I say Arcane..

Just because she simply discharges electricity sometimes. *cough* *shifty yes*

Author:  P Three [ Thu, May 13 2010, 7:39 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Anadrien has no idea where her power comes from. she knows she's pretty and can make men do whatever the hell she wants (She's a sorc, int is a dump stat). I'd hazard a guess at fae.

Rayne, my rarely-played Velsharan, has tints of red dragon. She's not interested in expanding it. It simply is what it is.

Katsumi likewise has no idea, simply because half of her bloodline is and will forever be unknown to her.

Amrissa's father gave her her power, and they're gifted through a silver long back in their Elven family tree.

Author:  Dergaii [ Thu, May 13 2010, 12:12 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Jarren my sorcerer definitely has the fey heritage.
As such his powers manifest mainly towards compulsions.

At the moment he still believes a priestess gave him some powers, but I plann him to question it in the future. Heh we might even organise a social sorceror club where we can talk about how great our bloodlines are!

Author:  DustSpray101 [ Thu, May 13 2010, 22:40 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Nina would likely be Elemental. While this is an interesting concept, I'm not sure it is entirely relevant to the setting as it is portrayed on the present server. Just thought i would throw that disclaimer in here. Otherwise, gaining the bonus spells as well as +30 land speed would be fantastic!


((PS: In 3.0/3.5 Faerun, it is part of the lore that sorcerers -do- indeed have draconic blood somewhere in their bloodline. The sorcerer themself may not know it, but the truth is that it is there. Thought I'd throw that out there before folks get confused))

Author:  Dark Immolation [ Fri, May 14 2010, 3:11 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Dergaii wrote:
At the moment he still believes a priestess gave him some powers, but I plann him to question it in the future. Heh we might even organise a social sorceror club where we can talk about how great our bloodlines are!


Actually, no lie, just a few days ago, I was having my sorcerer consider starting the "Sorceroues Peoples of Amia". Sort of a support group for sorcerors, an artist colony for the Art. :) And of course, with the propaganda that sorcs are the true heirs of the weave, and wizzies are empirically gluttonous thieves, pertaining to magic. >_>

Author:  TheCortroy [ Fri, May 14 2010, 5:31 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

This topic deeply does intrigue me. I've been wondering what Sorcerer Bloodlines for years. Though, what of the Shadow Weave? What would that fall under? Arcane?

Author:  Gers [ Fri, May 14 2010, 5:41 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Arcane would fit best, I'd think. After all, the Shadow Weave fills the area in between the Weave's strands, metaphorically. None of the others would fit really, save perhaps undead. Though that's stretching it a bit I think, as the Shadow Weave doesn't always have to do with negative energy, even if it does have a link to necromancy IIRC.

Author:  TheCortroy [ Fri, May 14 2010, 5:43 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Thanks for the reply Gers! :)

Author:  Selmak [ Fri, May 14 2010, 9:33 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Arcane seems like a good fit for Isamura, but it's not been often that a light has been shone on the origin of her abilities. Though, I kind of wince a little when someone suggests that her power might come from a draconic heritage.

Author:  Dark Immolation [ Fri, May 14 2010, 17:13 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

One bloodline I really find interesting is Aberrant.

I mean discovering that you're decsended from aliens -and- able cast magic? There's no better birthday gift for an angsty teen. :twisted:

Author:  davis114 [ Thu, May 27 2010, 22:51 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Sunny's magic comes from the streak of fey blood he happens to have floating about. Which is pretty easy to guess by anyone that knows him. Why else would a sweetberry make him swoon?

Cheers!

Author:  MadrikVale [ Thu, May 27 2010, 22:58 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Madrik's magic comes from Harry Potter's thick wand.

Author:  Dwagin [ Fri, May 28 2010, 6:29 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Kammy's should be painfully obvious to anyone that know's her.

S'all I'm sayin.

Author:  DerkDerkistan [ Fri, May 28 2010, 7:28 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

MadrikVale wrote:
Madrik's magic comes from Harry Potter's thick wand.


You owe me one standard computer keyboard for the soda I just spit on it after reading this.

To be somewhat on topic, I have never really explored the reasons how my halfling sorcerer, Piper Banger, got her power. It is something to think on.

Author:  DustSpray101 [ Fri, May 28 2010, 8:04 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

DerkDerkistan wrote:
MadrikVale wrote:
Madrik's magic comes from Harry Potter's thick wand.


You owe me one standard computer keyboard for the soda I just spit on it after reading this.

To be somewhat on topic, I have never really explored the reasons how my halfling sorcerer, Piper Banger, got her power. It is something to think on.


Piper, Banger? *tells the bards to stay away from that one*

Author:  Galenson [ Fri, May 28 2010, 9:01 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

I don't really care about where they're from, I just like killing them.

The most common ancestry or source for sorcerors that I've heard of from different players came from Fey. Don't know why, but its a popular one.

Author:  P Three [ Fri, May 28 2010, 9:42 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Dark Immolation wrote:
the propaganda that sorcs are the true heirs of the weave, and wizzies are empirically gluttonous thieves, pertaining to magic. >_>


Amrissa's father had this belief. However, he had no part in her raising, so never got to teach her.

Author:  Dark Immolation [ Sun, Jul 11 2010, 5:59 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Not trying to be a necromancer here or am ?>:) but, curiosity strikes again. Anyone RP their sorcerer as having appearance traits related to their heritage?

Like with Beldor for instance, his closest heritage is Blue Dragon, but a few generations earlier in his lineage is an Abberation. As such, he is significantly muscled for a drow of arcane persuation but as well appears lanky and long-limbed in some respects too. Aside from this, when he truly, truly becomes angry, his hair becomes staticky and begins to rise up like he was touching a van der graaf generator and he begins to give off the smell of ozone.

Author:  BlackDahlya [ Sun, Jul 11 2010, 6:00 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Dark Immolation wrote:
Not trying to be a necromancer here or am ?>:) but, curiosity strikes again. Anyone RP their sorcerer as having appearance traits related to their heritage?

Like with Beldor for instance, his closest heritage is Blue Dragon, but a few generations earlier in his lineage is an Abberation. As such, he is significantly muscled for a drow of arcane persuation but as well appears lanky and long-limbed in some respects too. Aside from this, when he truly, truly becomes angry, his hair becomes staticky and begins to rise up like he was touching a van der graaf generator and he begins to give off the smell of ozone.


I do that with Eilinira: canine teeth very lightly prominent, slightly slitted pupils, red hair and orange eyes. Her shapely body explains it, too. >_>

EDIT: Didn't think about Layla's bloodline yet, though. Could be fey.

Author:  Yurell [ Sun, Jul 11 2010, 6:35 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Whenever I've played sorcerors, I've never RPd their appearance as being inherited from their bloodline - a single ancestor 100 generations ago gives you 1 part monster to 1E30 parts dilution. If there's nothing spectacular going on to exacerbate this (such as becoming a Dragon Disciple), I personally wouldn't RP it.

Author:  BlackDahlya [ Sun, Jul 11 2010, 6:38 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

As long as it doesn't go against the rules, I will keep doing it, though.

Author:  Dark Immolation [ Sun, Jul 11 2010, 7:11 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

Yurell wrote:
Whenever I've played sorcerors, I've never RPd their appearance as being inherited from their bloodline - a single ancestor 100 generations ago gives you 1 part monster to 1E30 parts dilution. If there's nothing spectacular going on to exacerbate this (such as becoming a Dragon Disciple), I personally wouldn't RP it.


To a certain extent, the fact that you're advancing as a sorcerer means you exacerbate your heritage, by default. Maybe not consciously, but remember, what sorcerers call their spells stem from the natural arcane abilities of that long removed progenitor. The more of their magical abilities you gain, it would stand to reason you might pick up a few of their characteristics as well. That is at least my thinking.

Author:  Yurell [ Sun, Jul 11 2010, 7:30 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

To each their own, I certainly wouldn't object to someone RPing their traits. I treat physical appearance as the phenome from genetics, whilst the magic is a separate trait entirely. My method of thinking is that the world resembles the real one as much as possible, with magic there as the exception, not the rule.

Author:  Gexx44 [ Sun, Jul 11 2010, 8:45 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

My sorcereress has Yugoloth blood-line and personally I always thought it would be cool to see a Visilight blood-lined sorcerer, lots of cool rp thoughts there, yum! *eats charisma* xD

Author:  mirvala [ Sun, Jul 11 2010, 12:27 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

My sorceress, Ariel Elion is obviously of fey heritage, since she's herself a fey (Feytouched Elf) She specialises in enchanment magics, which in my opinion suits most the "fey"...

Author:  Spirit of Rock [ Sun, Jul 11 2010, 13:52 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

How would the undead bloodline work? A distant relative became a lich and.. I thought his/her equipment would've rotted away by that stage eh? Or is it just more to do with negative energy rather than being related to the walking dead?

Author:  Dark Immolation [ Sun, Jul 11 2010, 17:54 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Sorcerous Source

_Cairn Reborn_ wrote:
How would the undead bloodline work? A distant relative became a lich and.. I thought his/her equipment would've rotted away by that stage eh? Or is it just more to do with negative energy rather than being related to the walking dead?


Necrotic Bloodline is more from negative energies, yes. Someone of this bloodline was likely born on (un)holy ground, like a haunted cemetery, or in the presence/guidance/etc of some undead being, or there were certain traumatic events surrounding their birth.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/