Yeah, that is an unfortunate part of some of the older stuff, which may well just keep it from being open. I'm not sure how worth it it is, given limited devs and how much work it might be. Nice in theory, but effort might be better focused elsewhere ultimately if it can allow for "stuff" for more people.
_________________ Signature by Maryn! <3 I am also seen as DM Snuffles.
Joined: 20 Apr 2008 Location: The downeaster "Alexa"
As for custom scripting, it has long been my wish that it come back in some form. It's one of the reasons I joined Amia. On a small Nordock server, that version of Zammikyra drew the Oracle Card from the Deck of Hazards. It was a very RP lite server, but this began line of RP of Zammi being an "oracle" of Torm. I wished to play that idea somewhere where not everyone was some god-born hero, but there was still enough freedom where if you worked really hard, you could be something--or get something--really unique. I did not find it places that strictly forbade anything but what was already in game. I did not find it in servers that let your load from your local vault and run with whatever you wanted. I found that in this server.
Years later, I lament that new players can't experience this same thing, at least not exactly. There is still custom gear and spell widgets that allow for incredible customization, but it of course is different than the original setup. I also lament how it makes players resent each other, when I never asked that no one else be allowed custom things yet it sometimes felt like it was being held against me. Custom scripting went away because of the manhours it ate up and the niche-ness of what scripters would spend hours on for one player versus what they could spend hours on for the rest of the server. While that is understandable, I feel like there is a key part of the Amian experience missing in that and a lot of our charm that makes us "us."
This was my suggestion, should custom scripting ever be brought back. And I'm not a dev, and I suck at doing much more than modifying already made scripts, so take it as you will. But I feel like there has to be a way to keep that original Amian draw of true custom scripting without overworking ourselves. Maybe it isn't this, but oh well.
1. One(1) custom request per player per year.
Yes, a long-ass time. But still shorter than the "never" it is now. You are requesting a scripter take time away from doing things they could do for the entire server for yourself. Choose wisely what it is your request. Custom scripting, rather than being something you do just because you can, becomes something of a capstone or defining ability. You can emulate any number of things through items and spell widgets, but if you really need something unique, you have that option. Sparingly.
2. Custom requests made "Public" shorten the time to 6 Months.
Maybe there is something that is not represented in game that you want, but it doesn't necessarily have to be unique to your character. In fact, maybe it's something for your faction or simply a PnP feat or ability that you'd like to make a character around, but welcome other players to try it, too. You're taking scripter time, but at least this item/feat/ability/spell will get some use from other players. For sharing your request, you get to make them more often and Amia gains a growing pool of custom content that is available to anyone.
3. Players WITHOUT custom scripts/abilities will be prioritized.
Guys, I've got mine. I've been here a while and so have others. Do I still have ideas I'd like to try out? Sure, hell yeah. But not at the expense of others who have already missed out on the magic all this time. Likewise, the suggestion of making all currently scripted things available by default cheapens and robs the idea for everyone, both the people receiving it and the people who worked for it in the first place. Players, newer players, players who never had many DCs before we made requests payable by others(after we closed custom scripting), they deserve that chance. People like me who have already benefited can let others catch up for a few months, and then we'll all be better off for it in the end. And if someone tries to douche it up by making a new account simply to game the system, take every custom script/ability they've gotten.
4. "Bug fixes" will not count against players. "Tweaks" will be a case-by-case. Both will be lower priority.
If something is genuinely not working as it was requested or intended, you don't have to burn a request for that. That's not fair, considering some of us have had broken things we've sat on simply because custom scripting has been closed for years. These things deserve to be fixed, but they'll be done when they can be gotten to, with new player content still taking priority. Tweaks, that is, adjustments to already made scripts will be will done at discretion. The script is already made, so sometimes it is a lot easier to add or remove things than build a new script. Likewise, if you're requesting serious additions onto old things, you may as well be requesting a new custom thing with the amount of time it takes. Either way, these things will still cost you some time, but whether it will be 3 months or 6 months or a whole year will be determined by the amount of work that has to be done.
None of this matters if we simply don't have the manpower. But in any event that we do, in any event that a scripter wants to try to make it work for us again, we've got options better than what we had before.
_________________
You think Magic is your ally... but you merely adopted the Art. He was born in it. Molded by it. Sometimes, an angel is simply a devil with better intentions.
You're right, there are more important things than giving DC's some use and adding custom content again and making it available for everybody to enjoy and have fun with.
Like faction area changes.
How are those coming, Commie? Gotten that door yet?
Joined: 20 Apr 2008 Location: The downeaster "Alexa"
Come on. Be better than that. Do better.
What are some ways we can streamline area changes? It boils down to having the people there to do them. If it's taking a long time, it's probably less likely from DMs sitting on their hands and more from the people who can do it not having the time. Be mad and pissy all your want, maybe even rightfully so, but no one here has it out for anyone I think. No one here wants to ignore you or to be ignored.
We've got suggestions of 1) more Devs signing up 2) player submitted areas 3) mechanical in-game scripts to change area, so far. What else can we devise? Rather than constantly sulking on the past, Jesus-Krishna-Odin, let's see what we can actually come up with. I get it, people are hurt, but we all get hurt. We're invested in our characters, our RP, and the time we pour into both. Being snide or spiteful when most of us are here to solve the problem is like shooting yourself in the foot, dick, or orifice of your choosing.
_________________
You think Magic is your ally... but you merely adopted the Art. He was born in it. Molded by it. Sometimes, an angel is simply a devil with better intentions.
I'm not angry, I am pointing out that I have no idea what is more important than opening more custom content for the entire playerbase when it seems most of the playerbase would enjoy it.
And I pointed out that faction area changes are rather slow, so that can't be what the time is spent on creating for player enjoyment.
It's not my faction either, it's Commie's. I'm not hurt at all, I'm pointing out a legitimate problem. Soapbox is unnecessary.
You're right, there are more important things than giving DC's some use and adding custom content again and making it available for everybody to enjoy and have fun with.
Like faction area changes.
How are those coming, Commie? Gotten that door yet?
Joined: 02 Jun 2015 Location: Georgia, United States.
How do you plan we do all that? Add custom content when we don't have a very large crew. Maybe try and join the Dev team, help them knock out some projects, and let them get in gear for that.
Leaving comments that aren't helping sure isn't helping.
You're right, there are more important things than giving DC's some use and adding custom content again and making it available for everybody to enjoy and have fun with.
Like faction area changes.
How are those coming, Commie? Gotten that door yet?
yes
Glad to hear it.
My intended point stands though, I put it to the crowd that making custom scripts available for everybody who has proper concepts and RP for them would benefit everybody and make DC's useful and fun again, for things besides aesthetic and Djinn items.
How do you plan we do all that? Add custom content when we don't have a very large crew. Maybe try and join the Dev team, help them knock out some projects, and let them get in gear for that.
Leaving comments that aren't helping sure isn't helping.
I'm not sure what you're even saying. You seem to be talking for the sake of it.
I already tried joining the dev team once, my personality doesn't jive with them. They don't want me, and rightfully so.
The scripts in question are custom scripts that have already been made, but need to be tweaked to be useful/appropriate for anybody to request, as already pointed out earlier.
Your final sentence is circular and emotional and irrelevant.
Joined: 02 Jun 2015 Location: Georgia, United States.
What's irrelevant is not taking this seriously. What's irrelevant is trying to get more custom content for the entire playerbase when we clearly don't have a crew that is capable of doing that.
We shouldn't focus on getting custom content for a bunch of players when the server needs to focus on just getting players back.
Also the faction area changes are slow because do you see a long line of Devs? Do you see 15 devs logging on everyday willing to work for free when no one appreciates the work they do now / have done in the past. Toolset isn't that easy to handle.
Listen, I didn't want to bring up custom scripting or turn this into a huge thing, I just thought that removing the DC requirement for requests was a good idea.
Tormak essentially did that already and all it did was allow people who may not make requests to actually get stuff. Think that should just be the norm.
Then multiple other people mentioned it, so the discussion moved that way.
If you think I'm not taking this seriously by actually taking the time to write out useful things instead of just berating others for suggestions as you are LibrisMoronis, then have a nice day, you shan't be hearing from me on these things again.
By all means, be the server hero as you clearly are.
Joined: 02 Jun 2015 Location: Georgia, United States.
These comments aren't really on the point of the topic. It's either comparing the server to other servers and how crappy it is, or it is consistent posts about things that aren't really an option right now, or tiny remarks about things in a negative fashion.
However, I didn't mean to be disrespectful. I think it's simply how you read it.
The problem with custom scripting is... well... you are looking at the dude who would do it. Sheeler is pretty busy with work and school, so there is maybe another one when she isn't super busy packing up all of the patches and getting the module in order for updates.
It is a lot of work.
Look, ill make you guys a promise. Ill look into it.
I have a few ideas of streamlining stuff, which would limit the custom spells but open them up again. I have a policy though, I don't do custom scripting unless it is public. You can take it or leave it. You want a unique, cool spell for your character? Sure, but it is going to be public and other characters can learn a 'version' of it. They can call it something else or you can be the original creator that printed out the how-to book but I really am not flexible when it comes to scripting and it not being public.
This isn't a hard yes or no either way but ill think it over and see if there is a solution that doesn't involve me working basically a second job.
These comments aren't really on the point of the topic. It's either comparing the server to other servers and how crappy it is, or it is consistent posts about things that aren't really an option right now, or tiny remarks about things in a negative fashion.
However, I didn't mean to be disrespectful. I think it's simply how you read it.
Sorry I hurt your feelings mate.
There will be no more trolling, uncivility, and other harrassments on this forums.
Anyways, as for arelith. I have already stated that we are nothing like arelith because we are a DM oriented server. However, the server is reaching a point where change is becoming extremely difficult and we are losing players because of it.
As for the part about different flavors of rp, people like different types of things. No one type of event is going to sit with people.
Also, I remember actually trying something and was IGly and OOCly attacked by the player base for it. It was in kohiligin and it was around winter, My character stated that winter sickness would be coming and that we should prepare for it and I was accused of calling out a plague and chatised that a dm did not set up an event for it. my entire time here was literally beating my character down for being a black kobold, for thinking for himself, and actually wanting to do stuff. Now, I feel lethargic of wanting to play because everything feels like I have to sit around and wait for social ques to do anything. This is the server culture at this point and it is disgusting.
And I believe Maverick is being sensible with that. And I believe from how amarice describes it, we do not need more script atm.
EDIT: went over to arelith and 50% of amia's playerbase alone is here. I am guessing the others are on sinfar.
_________________ "A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."
I just see people are leaving amia because they are disillusioned with the server. I want to help make it so they find enjoyment with it again, because, afterall, many of these players are seasoned players of amia. If the seasoned ones are leaving, then wouldnt that suggest there is an issue?
_________________ "A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."
The problem with custom scripting is... well... you are looking at the dude who would do it. Sheeler is pretty busy with work and school, so there is maybe another one when she isn't super busy packing up all of the patches and getting the module in order for updates.
It is a lot of work.
Look, ill make you guys a promise. Ill look into it.
I have a few ideas of streamlining stuff, which would limit the custom spells but open them up again. I have a policy though, I don't do custom scripting unless it is public. You can take it or leave it. You want a unique, cool spell for your character? Sure, but it is going to be public and other characters can learn a 'version' of it. They can call it something else or you can be the original creator that printed out the how-to book but I really am not flexible when it comes to scripting and it not being public.
This isn't a hard yes or no either way but ill think it over and see if there is a solution that doesn't involve me working basically a second job.
I 100% agree with you Mav. If an ability is just for one person, that ability has no place on Amia any longer. Also, I think it's pretty amazing that you're willing to add to your own workload like this. Says a lot about you, and the rest of the team. I've not always agreed with what is done by the devs and DM's, but I always try to respect the time and effort put forth. So, thank you again.
TormakSaber wrote:
I admit I was a little surprised that I wasn't immediately run out of DCs within a month of making my post.
I don't have much to say about the rest of the topic, unfortunately.
Well... I have an idea why your DC's didn't just fly out of your account. If you look through the last few months of requests, they are not for roleplay by and large, they are for power. I mean, sure, this is still D$D at it's core and that's a natural thing to go after, but, that isn't where your DC's were intended to go.
So, my conclusion on that is more are concerned with "power items" than "rp items", which sounds awful to put in words, but, seems more accurate than the alternative.
Commie wrote:
Also lastly some of the biggest requests don't even require DC's (area changes) and we do things like leg changes for free which is about as hard as adding anything else to anyone.
But again Tormak made everything free and there's been no mad rush so why not just abolish the system so ppl don't feel like they have to 'act differently' when a DM is on or feel 'left out' because there isn't always a DM in their tomezine?
If you want you can keep giving out DC's to ppl to use IG as gold/xp and just make requests free.
I do think DC's are a root of A problem on Amia, not the root of all problems. As many have stated, some get them, some don't. I've known many great roleplayers that never got many. Me, personally, when not in a faction, get about none. I don't believe it's intentional, I just believe that's how attentions go, especially with a smaller DM team. They can't be everywhere, and can't see everything, so of course there will always be those that play in a social group, wherever, and at semi-regular times, when a particular DM or DM's are available. Pretty simple to see how some can get many, and many can get some or none.
This becomes an issue when requests for DC items start coming in. I've been accused of "getting a lot of DC gear" and had that used against me by other players. No kidding, yes, it happens. Those who received fewer DC's, oocly bitching about not having the opportunities I had. Well... true or not, I did manage to get more than they did, for whatever reason, normally it was faction involvement or time zone in truth.
This jealousy is prevalent on Amia. The "haves" and "have nots" is a real thing. DC's and their seeming disproportionate distribution (due to factors listed above, not prejudice) make it worse, and compound the problem.
Also... if players are required to provide roleplay for their requests, and they are required to have roleplayed well to get the DC in the first place, that's beginning to ask a lot of people. Why do we need the DC's? I am in complete agreement to eliminate them. That said, as others have noted, some sort of "limit system" should be in place to ensure one player isn't bogging down the team with zillions of requests.
Perfect solution? Nope. But it's a longtime player's thoughts. I'll be honest, I have one foot out the door, and the other isn't far behind as many know, but... I do still care about this server and the people here, and I did feel that my 8 years here and my experiences should count for something.
Well, I do not see that in the foreseeable future. Lutra has clearly stated that we are "Forum Ghouls" so I believe they will continue as they are until it is a small group of friend, pretty much barring the server from the outside world. Building a good server for all players requires a game master who is willing to help players succeed with their chars so that they can come to peace with letting those characters go. Amia, in a sense, is a ground of restless spirits who will never find release.
I still very much want to see this server become alive and well once again, but the chances of that are quite slim. There was a player surge over at arelith btw and a lot of the names i saw were names of people who used to be avid players here. It saddens me to see them go, but there is no where a character can go on amia. I hypothesize that if I went to sinfar, I would see that they had a surge of players as well. Again, I am frusterated and angry that players who once came to amia on a regular basis are leaving because the server has no growth.
Here is something I have used to figure out what people need within a game. It is old and most likely there is a better system, but still works rather well. And yes, I use spiritualist methods because they work for me.
Think of it like this; The acheivers are your heroes The killers are your villians The explorers are you adventurers The Socializers are you commoners
Let acheivers prosper and strive to become heroes. Let killers pillage and destroy to become villians Let explorers wander and examine to become adventurers Let socializers talk and enjoy each others company to become commoners
To discuss on Thatguys comment. He is correct and uncorrect. A currency is needed in order to ensure there is no DM favoritism. Rather than removing DCs, we could expand the server to give opportunities for players to get them. Socializers get DCs by simply socializing. But what if the player is not a socializer? we could add in quests that can give DCs for the acheivers and the killers. Or add in places that require a player good at navigating to complete for the explorers.
_________________ "A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."
This becomes an issue when requests for DC items start coming in. I've been accused of "getting a lot of DC gear" and had that used against me by other players. No kidding, yes, it happens. Those who received fewer DC's, oocly bitching about not having the opportunities I had. Well... true or not, I did manage to get more than they did, for whatever reason, normally it was faction involvement or time zone in truth.
This jealousy is prevalent on Amia. The "haves" and "have nots" is a real thing. DC's and their seeming disproportionate distribution (due to factors listed above, not prejudice) make it worse, and compound the problem.
Also... if players are required to provide roleplay for their requests, and they are required to have roleplayed well to get the DC in the first place, that's beginning to ask a lot of people. Why do we need the DC's? I am in complete agreement to eliminate them. That said, as others have noted, some sort of "limit system" should be in place to ensure one player isn't bogging down the team with zillions of requests.
Perfect solution? Nope. But it's a longtime player's thoughts. I'll be honest, I have one foot out the door, and the other isn't far behind as many know, but... I do still care about this server and the people here, and I did feel that my 8 years here and my experiences should count for something.
Thanks -TG
Yup. Back when you were maining your gold dragon knight PC I was 99% convinced you and I were headed to some 1v1, and was annoyed watching people donate all those DC's so you could get power items, which pretty much meant I had to start DC gearing out myself to keep up, which naturally took a boatload of DC's on my part. And I was just like, 'man I'm really glad I can afford this.' It wasn't a good feeling.
System needs to go, or only be used for gold/xp/djinn requests.
Would also prevent people from only sitting around specific locations as if you don't need DC's you don't need to hang around where people are to get mechanically rewarded for RP.
Well, the problem you are talking about would only be amplififed if DCs are only for items now. Right now, a character pays DCs for a boatload of things: Summon reskins, a few abilities, VFX, lots of RP fluff. But now, if DCs are gained at the same rate as before, but only used for power, yes, everyone will be more powerful, but it will be much more extreme than before. Imagine you didn't get as many DCs as another person. Now, instead of having less RP fluff as him, you 100% have less power than him. And I think that would be a problem. Of course, it's nice to have RP fluff for free, but if I only need DCs for power, it makes a much bigger difference than they do now, and even now they can be huge. For example, the chances of getting a ring of evasion are low. So now, my chances of getting evasion from anywhere is pretty low. DCs mean I could get said ring rather easily, which would be a huge powerspike.
Yes, it means every single DC I get is invested into power, but it only increases the problem of people with DCs versus people without.
Well, the problem you are talking about would only be amplififed if DCs are only for items now. Right now, a character pays DCs for a boatload of things: Summon reskins, a few abilities, VFX, lots of RP fluff. But now, if DCs are gained at the same rate as before, but only used for power, yes, everyone will be more powerful, but it will be much more extreme than before. Imagine you didn't get as many DCs as another person. Now, instead of having less RP fluff as him, you 100% have less power than him. And I think that would be a problem. Of course, it's nice to have RP fluff for free, but if I only need DCs for power, it makes a much bigger difference than they do now, and even now they can be huge. For example, the chances of getting a ring of evasion are low. So now, my chances of getting evasion from anywhere is pretty low. DCs mean I could get said ring rather easily, which would be a huge powerspike.
Yes, it means every single DC I get is invested into power, but it only increases the problem of people with DCs versus people without.
No, wouldn't be easier to get requested items, if anything, harder, since you have to prove your rp.
what criteria is needed to ensure players and dms do not abuse the system?
_________________ "A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."
Well, the problem you are talking about would only be amplififed if DCs are only for items now. Right now, a character pays DCs for a boatload of things: Summon reskins, a few abilities, VFX, lots of RP fluff. But now, if DCs are gained at the same rate as before, but only used for power, yes, everyone will be more powerful, but it will be much more extreme than before. Imagine you didn't get as many DCs as another person. Now, instead of having less RP fluff as him, you 100% have less power than him. And I think that would be a problem. Of course, it's nice to have RP fluff for free, but if I only need DCs for power, it makes a much bigger difference than they do now, and even now they can be huge. For example, the chances of getting a ring of evasion are low. So now, my chances of getting evasion from anywhere is pretty low. DCs mean I could get said ring rather easily, which would be a huge powerspike.
Yes, it means every single DC I get is invested into power, but it only increases the problem of people with DCs versus people without.
No, wouldn't be easier to get requested items, if anything, harder, since you have to prove your rp.
Not what I meant, I said keep DC's, keep giving out DC's, but they can only be used;
1. IG, for gold XP 2. Djinn low RP requests
examples of 'commies proposal
1. You want to go to mt doom to make your rings of evil. You get a DM to possess a red dragon and use its evil fire to mold the rings for you, then you can request once the RP is done, for no dream coins.
2. You want rings made and don't want to do a ton of legwork, talk to the Djinn (or other DM vendor if existing) and have them make the item custom order, for DC's.
What keeps it in check is the DM's. They just arn't going to allow you 3/4 power requests a month, that's silly. There also shouldn't be a set time for how long you have to wait before a new one, just when you RP'd enough that's seen and you can go ahead and get something new. If you bust your ass every day for 2 weeks on your dwarven smith with 34 craft weapon/armor I don't think it's unreasonable you get your gear a little faster. But it's all up to the DM's under 'commies proposal.'
Alright. I think we have reached the end of this Topic and it is time to lock it.
_________________ "A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."
Well, the problem you are talking about would only be amplififed if DCs are only for items now. Right now, a character pays DCs for a boatload of things: Summon reskins, a few abilities, VFX, lots of RP fluff. But now, if DCs are gained at the same rate as before, but only used for power, yes, everyone will be more powerful, but it will be much more extreme than before. Imagine you didn't get as many DCs as another person. Now, instead of having less RP fluff as him, you 100% have less power than him. And I think that would be a problem. Of course, it's nice to have RP fluff for free, but if I only need DCs for power, it makes a much bigger difference than they do now, and even now they can be huge. For example, the chances of getting a ring of evasion are low. So now, my chances of getting evasion from anywhere is pretty low. DCs mean I could get said ring rather easily, which would be a huge powerspike.
Yes, it means every single DC I get is invested into power, but it only increases the problem of people with DCs versus people without.
No, wouldn't be easier to get requested items, if anything, harder, since you have to prove your rp.
Not what I meant, I said keep DC's, keep giving out DC's, but they can only be used;
1. IG, for gold XP 2. Djinn low RP requests
examples of 'commies proposal
1. You want to go to mt doom to make your rings of evil. You get a DM to possess a red dragon and use its evil fire to mold the rings for you, then you can request once the RP is done, for no dream coins.
2. You want rings made and don't want to do a ton of legwork, talk to the Djinn (or other DM vendor if existing) and have them make the item custom order, for DC's.
What keeps it in check is the DM's. They just arn't going to allow you 3/4 power requests a month, that's silly. There also shouldn't be a set time for how long you have to wait before a new one, just when you RP'd enough that's seen and you can go ahead and get something new. If you bust your ass every day for 2 weeks on your dwarven smith with 34 craft weapon/armor I don't think it's unreasonable you get your gear a little faster. But it's all up to the DM's under 'commies proposal.'
Alright. I think we have reached the end of this Topic and it is time to lock it.
Why lock it now? There's no hostility, but some good ideas being brought forth:
PVP Island RP only requests DC's for Djinn and xp/gold only More help for the team Mav looking into custom scripting
I've seen many threads like this in my time here, this one, above all others actually stayed mostly positive, showed a lot of concern by the team, devs and players, and actually came up with a few nice things for Amia to work on.
Alright. I think we have reached the end of this Topic and it is time to lock it.
Why lock it now? There's no hostility, but some good ideas being brought forth:
PVP Island RP only requests DC's for Djinn and xp/gold only More help for the team Mav looking into custom scripting
I've seen many threads like this in my time here, this one, above all others actually stayed mostly positive, showed a lot of concern by the team, devs and players, and actually came up with a few nice things for Amia to work on.
Why stop that?
I think it is civilized to so I hope it won't be locked. Discussion is healthy!
_________________ Plays: Sylveera : Sun Elven fury packed in an Arcane Archer, not a Drow, promise. Tetrik : Greed incarnate in a Duergar. Budly : Has gone to a better place. Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.
Joined: 11 Jan 2013 Location: Riding the flow of the wind!
My honest impression is that it is tough to even figure out things to improve. On one end we have people who say that players always wait for DMs to do things and that they can do stuff themselves. In my experience doing things alone make you hit a brick wall when a DM does need to get involved!! I think that the entire structure of Amia needs a rehaul.
Well, I do not see that in the foreseeable future. Lutra has clearly stated that we are "Forum Ghouls"
I quoted Amarice and explains the meaning of the term if you read the first page of the discussion. This thread does not belong in that category.
There is nothing wrong with this thread so far. It remained constructive and relatively civil, contrary to the predecessor threads. Good job, keep it up.
Are you all going to address the concerns about storytelling? That along with the systemic corruption and burnout have been my main things I've brought up how many times? I'm fine if I classify as a forum ghoul, Lutra. Lol. I would rather be that than be one of the people pushing along the same old same old. I'm not surprised you haven't gotten anything, Tormak. DC requests stopped getting used a lot when people got rejected left and right and interviewed and quizzed and told Amia was "upping the legitimacy of its lore and RP."
The summons, fixes, doors, areas...... these are all secondary concerns. The last poll topic made by you guys saw that people wanted a clearer and better supported story. All the lurking people are talking about the story. The best part of Amia was always the story. What are you all (including players) going to do about the story?! "Just come in game" isn't really gonna work, I think. People are expecting to see the fruits of creativity. I thought your storytelling guest-DM idea would be the big hit for this, but then that role ended up being difficult on both sides. DMs wanted me to act like what they think DMs should, DMs expected me to still be "just a player being given a chance." No one was on the same page.
So again, knowing that didn't work and seeing that the story has suffered for literal years, what's the plan? What's the story of Amia now? Are you all going to address your own burnout?
I did make an astronomical calender for amia. I can scrounge that up and perhaps we can use it to plan festivals and other holidays for each settlement to give it its own flavor. I am not sure it is wanted though. None the less, I see cordor using its calender marking seasons for the farmers, fishermen, and craftsfolk. while kohiligin showing more interests in dragons and wharftown having its own things. I do not know much about wharftown.
As for shutting it down, it thought that it was losing momentum.
_________________ "A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."
Gather 'round, children, uncle Angst has a story from the previous century.
Back in the 90's, when text based gaming was king, MUD/MOO's were all the rage.
There was a very popular MUD I used to frequent.
One day a dev decided that the game could be more perfect and undertook the task of 'balancing' the entire server.
Each successive round of balancing was marked by the loss of a few players. "So and so didn't like the changes they made to the mechanics that affected his/her character. I hear he/she is now addicted to Asherons Call..." became a common lament.
The staff didn't care about the loss 'of a few' players... because it was for the greater good, right? Of course it was... they assured themselves.
So, round after round of balancing occurred and the player base slowly diminished.
And then one day the balancing project was complete! The three of us players who were left gave a collective shrug. It was too late, the damage had been done. The place was a ghost town.
The only funny part is when you think about that dev and all the time and effort he put into, essentially, killing the server.
How did this happen? Mechanics became more important than the story.
My advice to you? Enjoy this place while you can... because the doomsday clock is steadily advancing.
We need people with differing views on the DM team then. From what has been said, I know I have seen it too. It comes down to if you want to be safe or free, being safe lets you live in a box safe from threat, being free has risks and one must accept that life is not fair. Amia needs people with differing views on the team. We are losing too many players from the current situation. Players that should not be taken for granted. People who have played ever since it started. We cannot lose these people completely.
_________________ "A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."
We cannot add a free add what you want on amia, it would kill the module. So that is not an option, no matter if we have people on the team who 'want' it, it simply cannot be done. When something is added that is not safe and checked, the server starts crashing in a 5 minutes rythem again and becomes unplayable.
It took us months next time to fix. Another time might be unfixable, as I doubt Faded will sit there another 200 hrs to fix something others broke.
Also we do not take players for granted, and we are trying to add whatever we can add and change whatever can be changed.
Also we do not take players for granted, and we are trying to add whatever we can add and change whatever can be changed.
_________________ "A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."
Also we do not take players for granted, and we are trying to add whatever we can add and change whatever can be changed.
Not sure what you mean by that.
_________________ "A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."
It means we are not sitting here on our butts saying "we can just go as if nothing happened, the players will stay anyways" but do take the situation and the thread seriously and have already worked on what we could improve and change. Some of which we already posted here too.
I do not mean adding new stuff, but building complex story on an individual player basis and slowly working to bring progress to amia. I would even help you with this initiative.
_________________ "A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."
I mean nothing like that. I mean going on the server and just talking to player. ask them what their character is and build up a relationship with them. It requires no code nor plot line.
_________________ "A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."
Well my Skype name is publicly available for anyone who wants to chat with me. >.>
I would not just go to a player and start spamming them in tells in game without them saying they want to talk. Quite a few people do 'not' want that because they either simply do not want to randomy cht chat or because they want to focus on the IC.
Joined: 29 Jul 2007 Location: Norway: Home of the Trolls
They observe you and your char passivly and it's why you'll get dreamcoins from tiem to time. If you want a DM to help your char do something, then you can just ask ingame or make a request.. As one example, I was playing on my pure rogue and discovered I couldn't burgle houses in Kohlingen, so I asked one of the DMs on if I could be allowed to.. and Tarnus said sure, it lead to a small personal plot that developed into a ton of RP for both me and several other players. It's not really the DM's responsibility to ask everyone what they want when they want it while DMing, but rather the players to make their wants and needs heard. It doesn't cost anything to ask, and worst case scenario you get a no or "not now I'm busy helping someone else" or somesuch.
_________________ Adair - Druid and part time treant cosplayer
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 80 guests
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum