View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Up XP rates?
Yes [Rates TBD] 56%  56%  [ 54 ]
No 44%  44%  [ 42 ]
Total votes : 96
ZoltanTheRed
 
PostPosted: Mon, Dec 07 2015, 20:27 PM 

User avatar

DM

Joined: 03 Jul 2008
Location: USA

Right, I warned folks to take it easy. Locking this for a couple hours until people cool off.


 
      
ZoltanTheRed
 
PostPosted: Mon, Dec 07 2015, 23:09 PM 

User avatar

DM

Joined: 03 Jul 2008
Location: USA

I'm unlocking this thread. So long as people keep their cool this can probably discussed in a way that actually produces decent results and good ideas.


 
      
Elyon
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 1:39 AM 



Player

Joined: 01 Mar 2012
Location: UK

I don't think increasing the experience rate is the right way to go. It shouldn't be made faster. If grinding is 'boring' and 'tedious', then perhaps some alternative methods to gaining experience whilst all the same enhancing your roleplay? In otherwords, making it -enjoyable- whilst fleshing out your character. Amia is a RP server afterall. So other ways in gaining experience from the top of my head...

- How about an NPC instructor for every class/ set of classes? They give out tasks, and award experience for accomplishing them. So a shadowdancer is instructed to learn shadowjumping (which requires IG help) and gains x experience for doing that. A Blackguard might have to find a certain IG book to learn about pacts... so and so. It'll allow those to play their build on their character sheet and this would make more sense. (I just find it odd that a mage gets stronger by watching companions kill things). Some information and lore could be added in their journals to show what they've learnt. The tasks could vary on levels, or the player could select which ones they want to do. Also other modifications to avoid abuse and repetitive xp gathering.

ZoltanTheRed wrote:
So this leads me to my suggestions: The first one is fairly easy: Dungeon completion bonuses that are only given once in a character's life time, to encourage people to tackle new challenges and go elsewhere.

- An accomplishment system or something added to their journals? The PC gains bonus experience for completing a dungeon the first time, and maybe some lore or findings from it in their journals so they have knowledge of a place they've experienced? It'll also flesh out the lore of the server too and encourage people to check out new places too, rather than repetitively running an area over and over again.

Is that adventurer's guild still happening? PCs could give out quests too, and reward experience. Again, modified so that it's not abused. I don't know if that's possible to implement with scripting and such.

Simply dishing out ideas. It's the little things that add up and give the world to life. 'Experience' should come with that.

_________________
Rosary Doodlekins - Hin Candy WitchImage


 
      
OpenTheRift
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 1:46 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 17 Feb 2014

I do sincerely mean this: But when we can't even get dungeons from 1.5 years ago put into the module what makes the suggestions for a fully fledged [script / creativity heavy] quest system or otherwise modular change seem any more feasible.


I believe fully that our camp is more concerned about how boring the system is. We also recognize that script-solutions aren't workable. This is the most painless, active solution.

In medicine for bloodthinners the primary treatment is coumadin, it works by reducing the clotting factor's reproduction rate, but it takes days to take affect. So as a result patients are given lovenox because it works much quicker, allowing the pt to live until the coumadin kicks in.

Now this story really just means that we AGREE that quests would be so much better, but we recognize that sort of solution would literally take years. And atop that what are we missing out on with builder/scripter time when we could've just bumped up the XP rate and said "looks good, problem effectively solved"

_________________
bad man


 
      
Murex
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 8:25 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 01 Dec 2009

I really feel that the tedious parts of grinding come in at the later levels.

A solution would be to make lots of new and interesting areas for the higher levels. If you only need to go through a dungeon maybe three times total, that would be acceptable and desirable to me.

Side Note: The grinders aren't the ones I see on 24/7.

_________________
Image


 
      
Guardian
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 8:30 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Location: The Sky Above The Rain.

Larsaan wrote:
Guardian wrote:
It's the very same thing in principle. If you ask for lowering xp's because you can't be bothered to invest the time into your character progression through adventuring, which is essencially the point of almost every DnD (it's calle Dungeons and Dragons for a reason, you know), then what stops you to request later an easier access to Epic loot which is accessible ONLY via. grinding?

You mean like people are doing right now? I'm sorry to tell you this, but requesting epic items or better-than-epic items has been a thing for a while now.


I'm not going to react on the rest of your post, because frankly, there is nothing else to add, but this particular part, well...

Yes, I know people request better-than-epic items. And do you know what they are paying if the request is approved? Come here... closer, I'll tell you... (whispers) DCs. Dream Coins.

And guess what - you can also use the Dream Coins for... (whispers) Leveling without the grind.

So the principle of the thing is very same. You want levels without grind? Burn DCs. You want items without grind? Burn DCs.

You want role-play? Do so and earn DCs. Through DCs, progress your character level- wise and gear- wise. Really not a that hard to understand.

That said, I'm dropping this. Some people do get it, some don't.

_________________
Mercadier - *sleeps six feet under the warm sands of Khem*
Alex - Life is adventure or nothing!
Eddie - Sex, drugs and rock'n... more sex.
=========
Obsidian (inactive)


 
      
Suhjet
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 8:47 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 05 Sep 2012

Guardian wrote:
earn DCs
I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I am going to say that your point of view is uneducated and dismissive.

_________________
Melsa

There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect,
and once in a while, man's evil prying calls them just within our range.


Last edited by Suhjet on Tue, Dec 08 2015, 9:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

 
      
Bertnard
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 9:15 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Location: Under the bridge

Murex wrote:
Side Note: The grinders aren't the ones I see on 24/7.


That's also very true.

Suhjet wrote:
Guardian wrote:
earn DCs
Now I know you're trolling.

Great, so now it turns into typical internet discussion "You're dumb, You're troll".


 
      
Suhjet
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 9:19 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 05 Sep 2012

Dreamcoins and their unreliable access to the majority of players is not the point of this thread.

_________________
Melsa

There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect,
and once in a while, man's evil prying calls them just within our range.


 
      
Holy_Avenger
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 9:46 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 19 May 2014

Suhjet wrote:
Guardian wrote:
earn DCs
I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I am going to say that your point of view is uneducated and dismissive.


And why so? You think it is impossible to earn DCs now? It is quite easy, if you know -how to do that- ... You will not earn them, if you will be constantly crying on forums about how XP system is evil, etc...

You want solutions and when someone say something, you only spit around stereotypical phrases like... "It's hard, I don't have time, this one is doing nothing and he is better than me!" ...

Stop crying about favoritism, nerds, no-time, kids and everything about it and DO SOMETHING. Crying won't help, it will only make you look stupid. ;)


To the topic:

Now, settings on Amia are getting extremely boring. I saw this server like a great place to spend time, back in the days when I joined it for the first time. Now, after years, when almost nothing has changed - literally - I see a big problem.
Instead of making some kind of a fun, community on Amia became static - every change is bad, every attempt to do something special leads only to hatred.

Did you create new character - which is going to be evil? Good. We will gladly see you, but do make sure, you are ready for
1) "Abuse on forums/PMs/IG chat/ Tells/etc."
2) Hatred from almost 80% of old community, because you will ruin their 'perfect' world.
3) Almost no support from 'anyone', because you are alone and it will not fit - because you can't do it alone- the worlds settings.

It is better to make everything easier, than throw away few (sorry for the words) shity, good-for-nothing players and raise the worlds reputation.

That's why this community is going to hell - almost everyone is scared of change and are easily convinced to keep this world easy.


My proposal?

Global Vault Wipe -> Harder 'hunting grounds' -> Reduction of exp rates -> Restriction to have 2 characters on PERSON (yes, Person not Account) only -> Much worse effects after death (half-level loss, all gold loss, half your inventory will be lost in body that remains on the place you died.)

Now come and kill me ;) I am ready for your 'arguments'...

Holy_Avenger Out.



Image

_________________
Reynard d'Aubernon - Retired
Balaeyi Elandinai Haeren - Active
Jaezred Kilr'ae - Active


 
      
Silkelock
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 11:00 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 17 Jun 2011
Location: Sweden

Show me servers who have done vault wipes and survived. From what I have heard it has had no good effects.

_________________
Image

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.


 
      
Guardian
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 11:18 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Location: The Sky Above The Rain.

50/50 from my experience.

On Mystara there was a vault wipe because of a complete change of the leveling / loot / death system. Naturally, people were allowed, if not even encouraged, to re-create the old characters. The server survived with no casaulty on the playerbase whatsoever.

On the other hand, the Cormirian Knights server went down in flames after the wipe, but do note that the vault was wiped clean after a hacker attack. Unfortunately, the majority of the server left after that, but do take note - the server was not that good to start with. Mystara, on the contrary, was a pinnacle of any RP server I have ever played AND with a rather large community.

I am not saying that Amia is in the phase that needs a fresh start that bad, but sometimes even such drastic solution such as vault wipe has it's bright sides.

_________________
Mercadier - *sleeps six feet under the warm sands of Khem*
Alex - Life is adventure or nothing!
Eddie - Sex, drugs and rock'n... more sex.
=========
Obsidian (inactive)


 
      
bobofwestoregonusa
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 12:10 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Location: Eastern Washington

I see this old argument is back. Since it's something I've always had opinions on, and frankly still do, I think I'll throw my two cents in.

Leveling on amia isn't fun, it isn't designed well. It's endless grinding and killing monsters for hours and hours with no role play or reason to be in those geographic areas killing monsters. People come up with half-assed reasons to go there all the time to level or grind gold, sure. But saying "let's go train" or "are you up to kill stuff" is not really a compelling, or immersive in character reason for me to do things. Hiding behind immersion, development. There isn't any point of making amia an immersive progression leveling server either, because it doesn't cater to that sort of role play. Plenty of people develop their characters at 30 between varying and vast different levels of expertise because of how knowledgeable and skilled a character is in a killing that isn't just "slay the orcs, click the button." And the most compelling role play I've seen had nothing to do with clicking a button or the like, so I don't really see what the issue.

I've noted that the majority of people making these arguments against advanced progression have mostly played the same characters for a long time, I won't say all of them but the most vocal ones are. I put it to them that they're out of touch with the issue, and should really re-examine the perspective of the people putting it forward instead of judging their quality of role play around it. Telling people to "go out and earn DCs" is mostly just a blanket excuse since DCs have far more uses than just gaining a level, and for a great deal of the player base they can be quite rare. I know for a fact that once my character finally stopped being in the spotlight they become a great deal harder to get.

I have personally given up on over twenty different character concepts just because it would be a pain to level them, and then I'd just go back to playing Gerald again, and logging out because I don't want to play Gerald anymore; that character has been beaten to death like a the word YOLO. Amia isn't good about leveling expediently, so I don't want to do it at all. In fact leveling my main when I rebuilt him (multiple times mind you) proved to be an arduous chore in itself, and I would just get tired of it really easily and end up not wanting to play afterward. I don't necessarily have the willpower to circle grind mindlessly through the leveling circuits on amia like other people do. It's not fun running each dungeon five or six or seven times just to get on par with the rest of the server, and the fact is that amia is not and should not be imitating the MMO design if their focus is on the niche area of role playing instead of massive multiplayer game play development. And frankly even if it was, this is not how one does that.

I won't say that experience rates should be raised to ten times what they are like some people might, but half or double would be a drastic improvement when compared to leveling on almost any other server.

The only servers I've ever seen which intentionally limits leveling to a slow, deliberate pace is designed to cater across their level range which is a great deal lower than amia, and just as well is also balanced with spawns, encounters, and DM tools to use across that range.

Amia is a level 30 server with role play focused on level 30 characters in terms of events. Magic flies out of every oriface like candy and always has, and I don't think that needs to change at all. It's interesting and not many other settings really offer that so it allows for more interesting explorations of what a character can accomplish with new rituals and what have you. It also means that there isn't a place for the 5th level bard, that place is circle-grinding kobolds, and that place is not fun.

It's been said in this thread before, but amia's leveling system is not innovative, well designed, or even complete. Glim wasn't able to finish what he started and the changes to the server have broken some of what quests we used to have already, making the options between questing and circle-grinding more and more distant. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but here's that thing I've said in pretty much any other thread about leveling on amia:

If a game isn't fun, people won't play it. And amia as a game is far from fun, the only aspect of it that really keeps people here is the balance of it's endgame mechanics and role playing.

I've come back several times with several new character concepts (and frankly really fun builds) to try out and I invariably end up logging out in frustration because there is really no forward momentum to be had. I would really like for that to change.

Also to this I say:

Silkelock wrote:
Show me servers who have done vault wipes and survived. From what I have heard it has had no good effects


EFU has had multiple vault wipes and is probably one of the most interesting servers I've seen to date with a strong player base and an active DM team, but that is also because EFU had a drastically different dynamic in regards to their plots since each iteration of the server that came with the vault wipe was a new chapter in the story. It's been that way for the entire ten years that the server has been active, and that's not really comparable with amia's dynamic. Do I think it would benefit amia's narrative and allow new ideas to just sort of tumble and trundle in? Yes. Do I think it would suite longevity and keep the same large player base they currently have? Absolutely not. I think it might potentially kill the server, especially if not handled well.

But then amia has a different dynamic, and you can't really compare one server to the other for that reason.

Not to mention, even the mention of a vault wipe made a server I was DMing for a graveyard, granted it wasn't exactly a "great" or even "good" server, but it went from having 40 players online consistently to being lucky to get five to ten on. Granted, this was also as the "hype" of relaunch died out as well, so there were numerous factors that led to Contrition's slow, cancerous death.

My point is I don't think it would benefit amia as much as it would harm, despite how much I think it would benefit amia.

_________________
Image
Gerald Edmund
Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!


 
      
bobofwestoregonusa
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 12:16 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Location: Eastern Washington

PassionateShadow wrote:
Imo we should reward people who retire and perma their characters by allowing them to start a new one at 30. Unless they do not want it.


I would also like to add that this is a great idea, and promotes meaningful, interesting ends to characters while allowing us to move onto new ideas. Though I think it should be reserved for a significant ending of some sort, the definition of which isn't really my place to prescribe.

_________________
Image
Gerald Edmund
Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!


 
      
Guardian
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 12:44 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Location: The Sky Above The Rain.

Maybe it is noteworthy to also mention that the players we have lost recently, very, very good RPers and great personalities left to other servers which are, suprise suprise, much harder to level on than Amia is. Maybe someone can explain this phenomenon to me. Until then I remain convinced that the current exp. rate is not an issue. And raising it will more harm Amia than help her.

I have tried two of them, and I have enjoyed both very much. The only reason why I do not play there for good is that the latency I'm experiencing there is beyond bearable. :(

_________________
Mercadier - *sleeps six feet under the warm sands of Khem*
Alex - Life is adventure or nothing!
Eddie - Sex, drugs and rock'n... more sex.
=========
Obsidian (inactive)


 
      
Raua
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 12:59 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 09 Jul 2014
Location: The Land of >9000 Lakes (GMT -6)

Guardian wrote:
Maybe someone can explain this phenomenon to me. Until then I remain convinced that the current exp. rate is not an issue. And raising it will more harm Amia than help her.



Usually the stories I hear of people leaving and going to other servers are because people bitch and complain at them until they leave because of how cattish Amia's community can be.

At that point for them, anywhere's better than a place you'd be vilified and ostracized OOCly for playing an evil PC. Or anything morally ambiguous.

>.>

Doesn't have to do with leveling efficiency at that point, really.


But, let's not get off topic, that's a whooooole other hashed out giant-assed thread~ :D

_________________
Occasionally seen as [DM] Raua, or playerside as...

Image


 
      
Guardian
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 13:11 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Location: The Sky Above The Rain.

Raua wrote:

Usually the stories I hear of people leaving and going to other servers are because people bitch and complain at them until they leave because of how cattish Amia's community can be.

At that point for them, anywhere's better than a place you'd be vilified and ostracized OOCly for playing an evil PC. Or anything morally ambiguous.



You are very true. I have heard the same stories. But it still relates, because...

... even though the servers they are going to are harder, they still leave. Which only shows that the TRUE problems, the TRUE reason why Amia is currently going downhill, has nothing to do with level progression.

I wish people would invest more time into solution of REAL problems and less into ideas of how to make one's trip to epicness (level epicness, mind you. Epic nobody is still a nobody).

_________________
Mercadier - *sleeps six feet under the warm sands of Khem*
Alex - Life is adventure or nothing!
Eddie - Sex, drugs and rock'n... more sex.
=========
Obsidian (inactive)


 
      
OpenTheRift
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 13:12 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 17 Feb 2014

could we get a dc facts report from the team to show how crap dcs are as a system

_________________
bad man


 
      
Naivatkal
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 13:29 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 26 May 2010

Raua wrote:
At that point for them, anywhere's better than a place you'd be vilified and ostracized OOCly for playing an evil PC. Or anything morally ambiguous.

It doesn't only happen to people that play those sorts of characters. I've seen a lot of Good players get vilified and run off because of the community as well. I've spoken about this countless times, we have a problem with how people treat one another. I've heard it from people I've found on other servers, even. It's sad :(

--------------------------------------------------

Also, drop the snark people. We've already had this thread locked once. I won't hesitate to do it if things get out of hand again.

_________________
Whomst've'll'd'mn't I play:
Salema Nefahri :: A penny for your thots
Zrae'a'stra'fryn :: That which nightmares are made of
Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming


 
      
Silkelock
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 13:36 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 17 Jun 2011
Location: Sweden

OpenTheRift wrote:
could we get a dc facts report from the team to show how crap dcs are as a system


What are you referring to?

_________________
Image

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.


 
      
OpenTheRift
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 13:50 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 17 Feb 2014

the one that shows how scrouge the system is and that profitable gains are nepotistic by the very nature of the system

_________________
bad man


 
      
Elorathall
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 14:00 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 13 Mar 2011

What about lowering the levelcap? NWN gets silly after level 9.

_________________
Aernoud Van Brabant: Heir of the House. Proprietor of the Beer Wagon.
"Go to the Mayfields, have a pint, and wait for this to blow over."

Aurelius: Sunmaster of Amaunator. Contemplative. Aspirant to Transcendance.
"Sol Invictus"


 
      
Silkelock
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 14:59 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 17 Jun 2011
Location: Sweden

OpenTheRift wrote:
the one that shows how scrouge the system is and that profitable gains are nepotistic by the very nature of the system


That's not something we can compile. If the question was something like "What value, if any does a dc have?" you could start there. :) though that should be a topic of its own imo.

_________________
Image

Life should be prolonged only when it serves the greater cause of the death of the world.


 
      
Larsaan
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 15:10 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 26 Jun 2010

Guardian wrote:
I'm not going to react on the rest of your post, because frankly, there is nothing else to add

What is that even supposed to mean?

Guardian wrote:
You want role-play? Do so and earn DCs. Through DCs, progress your character level- wise and gear- wise. Really not a that hard to understand.

Yeah, no, you can take your assumptions elsewhere. I know how to get DCs. I know how to roleplay in a way that has a decent chance of getting that hum and green glow. The thing is, not all roleplay is deemed equal, and most of the roleplaying I do and find enjoyable isn't the kind that gets DM attention. Most of Aven's roleplay happens in the market hall, hawking her crafts, flaunting her ego, discussing alchemy and brewing, listening in on gossip, getting slowly drunk on her own booze, and once or twice even provoking fistfights. It's true to the character, it's interesting to me, it generates fun interactions between people... but it's not the kind of thing the DMs pay attention to. So, less DCs for me.

Don't get me wrong, it's not all I do. I've contributed to big events, I've been in mini-events, I've been in "random encounter during adventuring"-events, I've even had solo events run for me. Aside from those mega-events during the war when my role was literally just "part of the crowd", they've all been a lot of fun. However, they're barely a percentage of the roleplay I do here, and dream coins are rarer than epics when you're not directly in a DM's field of view. So, unless your suggestion is that I stop roleplaying in a way that's true to my characters and fun for me and instead focus on exclusively pandering to the tastes of the DMs, then dream coins are a non-solution.

EDIT: Not to mention that a DM needs to be online and paying attention for there to be even a chance of getting dream coins. Usually when I'm online there's about a 50% chance of a DM being logged in, and even then there's no way they can pay attention to all the 15-40+ characters online.

Holy_Avenger wrote:
My proposal?

Global Vault Wipe -> Harder 'hunting grounds' -> Reduction of exp rates -> Restriction to have 2 characters on PERSON (yes, Person not Account) only -> Much worse effects after death (half-level loss, all gold loss, half your inventory will be lost in body that remains on the place you died.)

Now come and kill me ;) I am ready for your 'arguments'...

I mean, it's your opinion, if that's what you find fun then more power to ya. That said, to me this would be antithetical to almost everything I enjoy here and I would quit in a heartbeat. I don't think it would do the server any good on an objective level either. It would make it so only the most extreme powerbuilders would bother with combat and leveling, and the character cap would effectively kill character diversity.

_________________
Currently playing:
Aven BrinyflaskImage
Safaya Dalai
Riyit
Chsera Hile

(Credits to Raua for the sprite, sauce -here-.)


Last edited by Larsaan on Tue, Dec 08 2015, 15:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.

 
      
Analog Kid
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 15:13 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 13 May 2010
Location: The Great White North Eh!!

Naivatkal wrote:
. I've seen a lot of Good players get vilified and run off because of the community as well. I've spoken about this countless times, we have a problem with how people treat one another. I've heard it from people I've found on other servers, even. It's sad :(


Raua wrote:
Guardian wrote:
Maybe someone can explain this phenomenon to me. Until then I remain convinced that the current exp. rate is not an issue. And raising it will more harm Amia than help her.



Usually the stories I hear of people leaving and going to other servers are because people bitch and complain at them until they leave because of how cattish Amia's community can be.

At that point for them, anywhere's better...


All of this.

_________________
I Am:
Derrin: 'Nothing to see here'
Beck: Hard working dwarf paladin.
Naela 'Widow': Wandering priestess.
Celinor Triellian: Paladin of Corellon.


 
      
Bertnard
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 15:23 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Location: Under the bridge

Because I'm such a great guy, here's a gift for you -

173.168.102.58:5121

Badlands server. No PvP Restrictions (Very balanced for PvP) -Gambling Arena with Ranking System. -Advanced Guild system with claimable territories. -Boss oriented quests. -Bindstone port system. 

Don't jizz your pants, you start on level 40! And when you feel kinky, they even promote occasional RP.

Go crazy :mrgreen:


 
      
Guardian
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 15:33 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Location: The Sky Above The Rain.

:lol:

Cheeky bastard :mrgreen:

_________________
Mercadier - *sleeps six feet under the warm sands of Khem*
Alex - Life is adventure or nothing!
Eddie - Sex, drugs and rock'n... more sex.
=========
Obsidian (inactive)


 
      
Amarice-Elaraliel
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 16:09 PM 

User avatar

DM

Joined: 20 Jan 2006

We only just adjusted the DC/YX Rate to one that is imho pretty fair. I don't see us changing it yet again after it just has been adjusted.

If we go even lower we may aswell have anyone start at lvl 20 or 30 and remove all the lowbie hunting grounds.

That said the grind being boring happens when you have already done it so many times. And no I am not saying it is wrong to have many charas, I ahve my share, but it is a downside you get from it if you do not want to spend your DC. For a newer player it is a great way to explore the server too. There's also the job system to gain DC additionally.

And in MY experience and MY opinion I do not need to have a chara on lvl 30 to have great RP. I have great RP on lvl 30 charas but I also had equally great RP and experiences on low level characters on their way to become stronger.

What I agree on is that we need more quests to support and easen the leveling progress. But that is already on the agenda but takes time as it isn't something that can be done overnight and should be interesting well thought out quests which bring fun and not just be "something to get xp even if the story is lame".

_________________
Image
Image


 
      
Bertnard
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 16:23 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Location: Under the bridge

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
We only just adjusted the DC/YX Rate to one that is imho pretty fair. I don't see us changing it yet again after it just has been adjusted.

If we go even lower we may aswell have anyone start at lvl 20 or 30 and remove all the lowbie hunting grounds.

That said the grind being boring happens when you have already done it so many times. And no I am not saying it is wrong to have many charas, I ahve my share, but it is a downside you get from it if you do not want to spend your DC. For a newer player it is a great way to explore the server too. There's also the job system to gain DC additionally.

And in MY experience and MY opinion I do not need to have a chara on lvl 30 to have great RP. I have great RP on lvl 30 charas but I also had equally great RP and experiences on low level characters on their way to become stronger.

What I agree on is that we need more quests to support and easen the leveling progress. But that is already on the agenda but takes time as it isn't something that can be done overnight and should be interesting well thought out quests which bring fun and not just be "something to get xp even if the story is lame".


Image


 
      
Tyris
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 17:21 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Location: Amana, IA USA

How do you get DC from Job system, I missed something completely there, great post.


 
      
maglorine
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 17:22 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 13 Oct 2006

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
What I agree on is that we need more quests to support and easen the leveling progress. But that is already on the agenda but takes time as it isn't something that can be done overnight and should be interesting well thought out quests which bring fun and not just be "something to get xp even if the story is lame".


I agree with all this but I have a suggestion in determining quest rewards. They should scale with level. I know that exists to an extent but I mean to enhance and standardize. If it's a quest for characters level 20 then a 1000xp reward is not helpful as it's the same as some low level quests and doesn't move you significantly forward in terms of progression.

Pick an appropriate level of progression a quest should provide. My suggestion is in the range of 25% of a level, and scale the rewards according to the level targets. If it's level 20 then the quest should net you 5000xp. In this manner the questing developed will have a more dramatic impact on the overall leveling process. It can ease the pressure on grinding while not eliminating adventuring since you'll need to do that to complete the quests.

I also recommend all existing quests have XP rewards adjusted to the newly determined standard, whatever that turns out to be.

_________________
Tark Hammerfeast - Immovable Object
True Greenspan - Bendir's Boy Wonder


 
      
OpenTheRift
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 17:23 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 17 Feb 2014

i respect everyone's right to an opinion. that is why i made a poll because you cant shout down #s. the majority is for change, don't you respect the communal nature and opinions of your fellows enough to bend when the winds change?

_________________
bad man


 
      
exquisitelyme
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 17:30 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 26 May 2009

Genuinely curious here, no jabs or ANY aggression meant at all, please.

But it has been said many times in the topic that apparently there is a sure and easy way for you to get DCs that is probably less subjective than "just RP". For the benefit of newer players, or just players who dont have access to that information, could those mentioning this sure, easy way please explain it?

_________________
I play:
Frums Deedone, the Green Child
Balrig Sootkiln, Blood and Vellum


 
      
Naivatkal
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 17:40 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 26 May 2010

OpenTheRift wrote:
i respect everyone's right to an opinion. that is why i made a poll because you cant shout down #s. the majority is for change, don't you respect the communal nature and opinions of your fellows enough to bend when the winds change?

A majority of four. Which also doesn't include the number of people that don't bother with either reading the forums or even making a forums account.

If we were talking 2:1 odds that would be far more telling.

XP rates don't need to change, however making leveling easier is something that we should look at. Improving our community is a bigger issue; people leave over that rather than slow leveling. And when the community decreases people are less inclined to either stay or join.

_________________
Whomst've'll'd'mn't I play:
Salema Nefahri :: A penny for your thots
Zrae'a'stra'fryn :: That which nightmares are made of
Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming


 
      
Amarice-Elaraliel
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 17:45 PM 

User avatar

DM

Joined: 20 Jan 2006

Tyris wrote:
How do you get DC from Job system, I missed something completely there, great post.


Sorry if my post was misleading. I meant you can get xp to help you level alongside hunting with the job systems aid, not DC.

_________________
Image
Image


 
      
Guardian
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 17:56 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Location: The Sky Above The Rain.

Naivatkal wrote:
XP rates don't need to change, however making leveling easier is something that we should look at.


All right, let's make this more clear.

Easier or more fun? Making levels is already easy. Like kindergarden easy. So no, please.

Make leveling more fun? I'm all up for it. More quests, new areas, more monsters, more random adventure - yes, yes ,yes.

_________________
Mercadier - *sleeps six feet under the warm sands of Khem*
Alex - Life is adventure or nothing!
Eddie - Sex, drugs and rock'n... more sex.
=========
Obsidian (inactive)


 
      
Murex
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 18:30 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 01 Dec 2009

Guardian wrote:
Making levels is already easy. Like kindergarden easy. So no, please.


If you mean making areas in the toolset, then I would agree.

_________________
Image


 
      
Amarice-Elaraliel
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 18:31 PM 

User avatar

DM

Joined: 20 Jan 2006

OpenTheRift wrote:
i respect everyone's right to an opinion. that is why i made a poll because you cant shout down #s. the majority is for change, don't you respect the communal nature and opinions of your fellows enough to bend when the winds change?


I do, of course, care for the opinion of the players.

I would like to point out a few things however:

1. Forum Polls are to be taken with a grain of salt. It simply counts accounts who voted. They do not show who voted. The system does not acknowledge if and how many alt-accounts voted. It also does not account if someone just asked an old buddy to vote for their cause and/or if active players voted or if people who just troll the forums voted and so on and so on.

2. Even ignoring all that you clearly do not (atm) have a clear result here. Neither in the poll and even less in the discussion. There are people who are positive towards a change, but there are about just as many against it.

_________________
Image
Image


 
      
Raua
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 19:15 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 09 Jul 2014
Location: The Land of >9000 Lakes (GMT -6)

I think a lot of the disagreements I see come from different views on the difference between easy and fun. Personally, I agree, leveling can be pretty easy for (a good chunk) of the level ranges. That in no way means that it's not tedious, boring and arduous. But still easy. It's a pain in the ass, but its easy.

I remember a few summers ago, I got a character to 30 in about 4 or 5 days. It was horrible, and I fucking hated it. But it was pretty easy to do. We had a group of about 5, and one knew where everything to grind on was. It was fast, easy, and awful. Not everyone has the benefit of knowledge of our systems, or a leveling group. Especially when they're new.

XP gains would be nice, because it can cut down the time spent grinding for levels. (Which will help newbies a lot) But that doesn't change how fucking tedious the process will be. It won't solve the real problem--leveling is tedious and boring as fuck. But at the same time, I can't say I'd be heartbroken if nothing came of this thread. If I want a new character, I have earned the DCs to just eat them to 30. But at the same time, that's my privelaged perspective--not everyone has that option. And as such, DC leveling isn't a solution either. It's awesome, but it doesn't help new players.

As it stands, Amia is a difficult place to start without a friend telling you whet you need to know, and our dungeons are far from intuitive, nor do they really follow a path anyone would be able to see.

Questing needs to be improved, more dungeons need to be made, but honestly, with the shortage of hands, and other issues I'm afraid I can't elaborate on publicly, it's difficult to say how efficiently that can get done.

What I feel like this thread has turned into is a bunch of people saying their opinions, and a few trying to assert that their own opinion is more valid than another's. It's not. It's an opinion, they're all equally valid.

_________________
Occasionally seen as [DM] Raua, or playerside as...

Image


 
      
Blue Moon
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 19:24 PM 



Player

Joined: 11 Oct 2012

Reading this thread and coming from a different server with 4 xp per kill like :shock: :shock:
everyone already said everything I think about leveling. But I would like to back up:

The only thing I ever truly found impeding to my roleplay on Amia was the +/- 5 level restriction. I was actually once told I couldn't participate because I wasn't high enough level on an outing for a guild. That is the total opposite of roleplay. Yes you can say 'well just suck it up for roleplay and do a dungeon without xp/gold' but we all know there is a strong social pressure that both sides (the party, and the person out of range) just PREFER equal range $$$$$$. Social pressure is damn influential.

I feel its purposes to prevent powereveling/towing (which happens ANYWAY) are dwarfed by the negative results which are:
- more segregation
- thus CREATING focus on leveling BECAUSE people want to run with 30's.
It'll also stop people making alts. "HEy friend I made an alt, can you make one too so we can level together?" "Ok sure" *Alts multiply exponentially*
It is so bad, please get rid of it. Even if people DO level too fast, we ALL know who "those" PCs are and will be looked down on/disfavored by DMs and PCs anyways.

If you find running the dungeons monotonous, maybe stop running them in the same monotonous way. Walk, roleplay while you fight and think of new ways to fight things, maybe a game, maybe everyone only uses books to fight. Use it for masturbatory roleplay: when was the last time you truly detailed your character's fighting style in a dungeon?

If you find your main PC boring/in a lull, stop creating alts which you will lament the slow leveling of, and start creating alternate things for your main to do. You'll fall in love again.

If you wish there were more quests but builders won't script them (and you won't volunteer scripting or building): literally. make. your own. Using your imagination. Better yet, use your money and reputation to send lower levels on quests- "Hey go spy on this guy."

You need to be the change you want. Nobody here gets paid to entertain you, your fun = your work, not their work.

I have spent years being bored, and knowing that I can't expect DMs and builders to cook things up constantly just for me. So I improvise with what little I have. Hell, I started roleplaying on FORUMS, where there is literally nothing. You know you can make a plot/quest without a DM (??!?!?!) :O :O

_________________
Playing
Jovianne Undon
Devout of The Healer
"[SocksOnFeet] Arabella Amakiir: [Talk] That girl got buns, hon. "

Image


 
      
Amarice-Elaraliel
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 19:58 PM 

User avatar

DM

Joined: 20 Jan 2006

I am all for more variety to gain xp additionally to hunting. Questing especially. Maybe if we can at some point also job system upgrades. I just do not think upping the XP outcome for DC yet again is a good solution.

I personally, as said, am a big fan of quests and am looking forward a lot to see that gradually expand and improve.

I am also a DM who is very fond of and always does give Quest XP in my plots to non full levels. Unfortunately I also do realize, like with DC, this is a bit of a matter of right time right place often.

_________________
Image
Image


 
      
Guardian
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 20:04 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Location: The Sky Above The Rain.

Murex wrote:
Guardian wrote:
Making levels is already easy. Like kindergarden easy. So no, please.


If you mean making areas in the toolset, then I would agree.


No no, I mean the grinding. Making levels = grinding exps.

I'm not even remotely gonna touch the designers / developers, because I've never even turned on the toolset.

_________________
Mercadier - *sleeps six feet under the warm sands of Khem*
Alex - Life is adventure or nothing!
Eddie - Sex, drugs and rock'n... more sex.
=========
Obsidian (inactive)


 
      
Krin
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 20:37 PM 



Player

Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Location: California

So...I leveled my first character over the course of 2 and a half years because I hate grinding and leveled my next one to 30 using just DCs to avoid it. I don't really plan to make any other characters any time soon, so experience rates won't really affect me either way. With that said, I've been reading through this and there are pretty passionate people on both sides here. Just wondering why, I guess.

How would higher XP gain rates hurt the server? People won't be grinding as much, so they'll be interacting with the environment and other characters more often.

Putting aside whether or not you NEED to be level 30 to RP, what consequences would there be if people are grinding less to level up? I've been trying to come up with some and I haven't been able to yet. Halp?


 
      
Yimmi
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 20:49 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 27 Dec 2014
Location: Santiago, Chile

I have a thing or two to say about some topics touched in here, I'll say as my personal experience.
For me lvling has ben an issue (I still don't have a lvl 30 character) but not because I found it boring but because most of the time I didn't know where to lvl.
When I go in the dungeons (that I've been quite a lot since I've had a lot of alts that didn't work out for other reasons) I didn't get bored because there's always something to do when you're in groups, as someone said, you can RP the way you clear the dungeons, make some jokes, talk and all that... Making the "grinding" quite more enjoyable. But, of course, that maybe be just me... I personally have a great time when doing dungeons with people because I don't simply do it as a grinding matter, but also as a RP opportunity.
The second thing is that even if I don't have any lvl 30 character that never has stopped me for joining DM events or different RP, for example with my dwarf I've been in every "event" or story or anything that has come out since I joined and my lvl has never been an issue. (once we went to the fire giants lair and I was just lvl 14-15. True we didn't get XP or gold but it was a fun time, and that's what we pursue in here, having a good time).

Now talking about what can really be done maybe the point that when you're new you don't know where to go... as it was said the quest don't have quite a continued path to follow, and the dungeons... it's almost impossible to know when you can face them if you're new.
So maybe put that information or in the forum or some NPC guiding you or something.

_________________
-Jacob Hel'Tharan: Knowledge through sacrifice.
-Bjalfi Bolverkson: Blood, beer and thunder!
-Aedan Turghaer: Life of a mercenary... it ain't easy.

We are southamerican rockers, nou sommes rockers sudamericaines...


And DM side: DM Clangeddin


 
      
Amarice-Elaraliel
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 20:52 PM 

User avatar

DM

Joined: 20 Jan 2006

yimmi wrote:
So maybe put that information or in the forum or some NPC guiding you or something.


That was basically the idea with the new quest line. That the NPC sends you to the next quest after finishing one and hence the next appropriate leveling area.

_________________
Image
Image


 
      
corypx
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 21:01 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 14 Oct 2006

OpenTheRift wrote:
i respect everyone's right to an opinion. that is why i made a poll because you cant shout down #s. the majority is for change, don't you respect the communal nature and opinions of your fellows enough to bend when the winds change?



I could get around 30+ people maybe more if they think its funny that my character should become a Deity on amia, AKA give me DM powers with toolset controls and god mode..... does not mean it will happen or should (((but FYI I totally should all faithful would get unlimited use harm on self SKELETOR 2016!!)))

Amia is a democracy of the Staff not really the players as we outnumber them near 10 to 1,but also to prevent stupid stuff as I said above..... that being said if the players can give valid opinions on why something should be changed and convinces most of the staff to change their mind it most likely will.

As it stands the reason for people wanting increased EXP rates is to power level to 30 and in turn make a ton of alts who can all be max level with basically no investment into said character...... in turn making a lot of the zones useless as you want to start new chars at level 30 where you might as well delete every zone unless it has a boss that drops epic loot and even then if it has poor time efficiency it wont be used.

_________________
================-<Cory ShadowFlame>-================
Risenlord-Shifter(OMG a Non-Dragon Shifter that can hold his own in PvE)
Image


 
      
Cracked Red Eye Orb
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 21:07 PM 



Player

Joined: 24 Sep 2015

Analog Kid wrote:
MightNMagic wrote:
You cannot roleplay a master catburglar with a hide skill of 7. So...



....Nor does one become one in a week. Soo....

Except you don't gain experience from roleplaying, unless you count cashing in DCs to get a paltry sum of experience, or using the flawed job system.


 
      
treasured memories
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 21:07 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 09 Nov 2015

corypx wrote:
I could get around 30+ people maybe more if they think its funny that my character should become a Deity on amia, AKA give me DM powers with toolset controls and god mode..... does not mean it will happen or should (((but FYI I totally should all faithful would get unlimited use harm on self SKELETOR 2016!!)))


show me

I think, uhh. . . I already forgot.

Oh yeah, so I think everyone agrees more quests and diverse ways to level. But like previously mentioned, that takes a long time to build up. What do we do til then? Calling people whiners certainly isn't the answer.

_________________
so he would always have a friend


 
      
Amarice-Elaraliel
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 21:12 PM 

User avatar

DM

Joined: 20 Jan 2006

Kas wrote:
Except you don't gain experience from roleplaying, unless you count cashing in DCs to get a paltry sum of experience,


I wouldn't call a full level per DC on pre epic and 1/2 level on epic per DC "paltry".

_________________
Image
Image


 
      
Suhjet
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 08 2015, 21:17 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 05 Sep 2012

corypx wrote:
As it stands the reason for people wanting increased EXP rates is to power level to 30 and in turn make a ton of alts who can all be max level with basically no investment into said character

Presumptuous opinion. Greater EXP rates would lessen the amount of time wasted. You are implying that people are making characters without intent to grow.

_________________
Melsa

There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect,
and once in a while, man's evil prying calls them just within our range.


 
      
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 111 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group