View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
Strom

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 22 2019, 14:10 PM 

Player

The Keepers of The Mystic Flame

The Seeress snapped free from the vision, her eyes blinking away the luminous, pearlescent glow that had taken them in the fever of her divinations. Her shaking hands gripped the corner of the table before her, breaths moved sharply through her tembling lips into her lungs. "How is this possible..?" She muttered, staring down at the pristine, rich purple of the velvet cloth rolled out over the table before her. On it's surface, twisted arcane devotions and clerical praises to Lord Savras, The All-Seeing. In the centre point of golden ritual lines sat a simple crystaline ball. It rest upon an ornate base, crafted to look as if four ravens feet has blossomed free of a simple golden ring, in which nestled the perfect sphere of the magical artifact. For all it's simple appearance, the Seeress carefully lifted it from the base, and took up the velvet to swaddle it in the soft material. Before placing it back into a heavy chest.

"Send for the Keepers..." Her soft voice had always held a strangely commanding quality.

One of the robed initiates kneeling near the door quickly scrambled to his feet, and dipped a fast bow, "At once, Seeress."

She didn't look up from her pensive musings, it always took time for the visions to truely settle. The boy's feet disappeared down the corridor. Then silence stretched out before her mind.

An Island, battered by turmulous seas. A city, cloaked beneath clawing darkness. Magic. Power. Ruin. A shrine to the Lady of Mysteries consumed by hateful creatures that almost defy reason. . . Was that, why she had been shown it? What possible link could this have to danger, here so far away?

Her thoughts came to an abrupt closure, as the sound of armoured feet approached. Her eyes lifted, as did she. Taking to her feet with a calm grace, as her piercing green eyes settled upon a trio of robed and armoured figures.

"My Lady Seer.." The armoured figure bowed respectfully, as he spoke.

His religious sigils mirrored her own, alongside that of divine Azuth. Despite herself she took some comfort in knowing atleast one of them knew the grace of the Lord of Divination. Her attention moved over to the others. Both wore icons of Azuth and Mystra alike, and appeared stern to have been summoned so late into the evening. She gestured to a less formal area near an open window that looked down over the cosmopolitan view of Raven's Bluff. In the distance, the Sea of the Fallen Stars glittered in Selûne's silver light. She let the quiet of the night calm her for a moment, before turning back to them as she sat upon a window seat.

"Gentlemen.." A pause, "Lady.." She murmured to the robed, intense woman that was the last of the trio summoned. "I have recieved a vision, that troubles me deeply. My inquery was regards the safety of our city, our state alone. Yet, I have recieved troubling insight of another realm. An Island in the Trackless Sea. Leagues away from our borders, and even beyond the knowledge of many cartographers of this area. It's peril should have little bearing on our safety. . .Yet. . . Something about it's plight, threatens us even here. Across an entire continent. -- I wish to request an investigation take place."

The robed man arched his eyebrows, "Seeress the plight of this Isle is, surely, terrible. Yet we are guardians of Raven's Bluff alone. We have no power there, no jurisdiction. What would we do if we did find something troubling? Besides a sending back here to confirm the lucidity of your visions? We would risk a diplomatic incid-.."

The Seeress interjected sharply, "... I would expect you to act! To work with the local populace. To do something to contain and understand it. Should this threat truely be one to have lasting effects upon Faerûn, then you would be expected - jurisdiction or not - to act in the best interests of our state!"

The mage scowelled, clasping his hands behind his back at the rebuke - but all the same took note of the clarity of her tone. He turned, pacing a few steps away, "You are certain, it is that serious?"

The cleric sank back into her chair, rubbing her temples, "Yes, though as is the way of foresight clouded by the infinate pathways that stray from certainty. All I can tell you, is that enough of them curl back towards some terrible fate... that I was shown it." She saw his expression soften to a thoughtful frown.

His eyes glanced to the woman nearby, "... Magister?"

The mystran woman's eyes stared out of the window, she took a few paces to turn her gaze over the cityscape before them all. Her eyes washing across the elegant spires and masts swaying in the port. Her home.
Then she spoke, "Recant to us, your vision Seeress. With as much detail as you can muster."

The armoured man remained silent. Listening all the while as the exchange took place.

So, the Seeress told her tale. Of dragons and shadow. Of magic, of sacrifice. Of a land trapped in a deadly intrigue of influences that lurked beyond the fringes of her understanding. Of a terrible weight that impressed upon her the concerns of her divine patron, that impressed even now in her breast a cloying fear of the future to come. By the time she was done, the three were all gazing upon her in quiet intensity.

The armoured man glanced towards the Magister, his expression tinged with concern. She met his eyes for but a moment, returning her gaze to the window. Her clear voice cut the tension, "You want to go, Watcher?"

"I do."

"You realise you will be alone?"

"Very much so, but should I find anything that confirms the visions be true.."

"..Then we would have to act accordingly, Watcher. Yes."

"Seeress.." He added, glancing from the Magister to the cleric. "Do you know the name of the beleagured Isle?"

"Amia." She intoned softly, "The Bane of Amn."

|---------------|

The Keepers of the Mystic Flame, are an organisation that exists in the city of Raven's Bluff, overlooking the Sea of Fallen Stars in the Land of Vesperin. The city is known not only for it's merchants and exports, but also the rare magical phenomena that plague it centred about an ancient dark elven mythal that exists in a beautiful, ancient cavern beneath the city. Those with magical potential in the city, occasionally manifest an ability known as 'Wildfire', a powerful scorching gout of pure magical energy. Such people, tend to manifest the power when angry or stressed - meaning that children who develop this ability are often quickly interred into sanctums to be schooled in discipine and control before they inadvertantly cause issues. Thanks to the mythal, areas of wild magic or dead magic zones have been known to manifest, which must be properly contained or quarentined.

The Keepers also keep vigil for such events, and exist as the city's offical go-to method of policing, investigating and collecting information on any arcane occurances inside the jusrisdiction of Raven's Bluff. Though the church of Tyr is responsible for carrying out any trials and seeing justice done, the Keepers maintain a neutral place in affairs. Presenting facts about that has been discovered, and using their magical expertise to contain any present magical dangers.

Azuth and Mystra are usually the patrons for these Keepers, Azuth's members number more-so as their scholarly, neutral position to magic allows them to keep a clear and present mind when dealing with affairs. They are motivated by the greater good of the city's magical welfare, rather than a more narrow idealism. Their academies are as a result, strongly Azuthian in concept and principal - though as is natural, all aspirants learn of Mystra as the head of the arcane deities.

Savras, is rumoured to have taken interest in Raven's Bluff. Though records remain strangely vague where such tales are concerned. His followers maintain that he was responsible for openning the portals which first allowed access to the mythal cavern, as well as ajoining magical gateways which openned up the cities now famous... or infamous.. underways. As a god in service to Azuth, his faithful have a small chantry of Seers present, to help to try and keep a step ahead of the magical zones that tend to form in the mythal's area of influence.

Amia Concept

A LN organisation of mages and spellblades concerned with the 'larger perspective', interested in dealing with the threats posed by the culmination of the recent Dragonbane event and it's larger repercussions for Faerûn. Long term this may involve the creation of a Chapter House of sorts, devoted to keeping a neutral place of learning for the magically aspirant and gifted, with a view to keeping an eye on things that could threaten the entire continent... Amia, has been rather noisy of late.

This is not a religious order first and foremost, it is an order of mages. These faiths represent the founding principals of the organisation, must like Christianity's principals form the basis for the laws of most western countries - and occasionally the dogmatic beliefs of each will come under conflict. This is natural. What matters is the binding, overwhelming concept that magic is truest way to advance civilisation, and that some people need guidance in it's use, or occasionally policed for ignoring it's dangers. Advancement of magical theory is for the good of all mages, and should be recorded and celebrated.

Primary Faiths: Azuth, Savras
Seconary Faiths: Mystra
Tertiary Faiths: Oghma

Note: Whilst the order has no problem with necromancy, it's a powerful valid school of magic. They do view Velsharoon's teachings as too extreme. They won't murder followers of the Vaunted on sight, but they will take note of them, and monitor them. They don't have any issue with undead servitors either, so long as the corpses were donated willingly to magical study, and remain mindless undead. The creation of wights, spectres (tortured souls), ghouls and vampires for example is viewed as a crime. Trapping a ghost for any period of time beyond questioning and helping it to pass on, is also considered distasteful.

Skeletons and Zombies are not, as they do not corrupt the passed on soul of the person who donated the body; they're just using the now empty shell and importantly the person did donate their remains willingly. Animating a body that was not donated could lead to a restless spirit and is considered a serious offense.

Alignments: LG, NG, LN, TN, LE

They would have the positions below: -

Aspirants - Those wishing to join the order, who show magical talent.

Watchers - Spellblades and Mages, who act as bodyguards and investigators. Many mages in this role focus in divinations and combat magic, or both revealing the hidden and defending their interests.

Magi - Mages who swear fealty to the order, to uphold it's responsibilities to teach and keep vigil over those who would aspire to be mages. They have a number of titles inside the order.

- Magi-Speculi: Professionals who focus on advancing magic theory in their own right. Many choose this position after a few years of teaching aspirants.
- Professors: Teachers of aspirants, usually with vast experiance in particular schools of magic, viewed capable of passing such knowledge to others.
- Archivist: The lore junkies of the order, keep the tomes, materials and component stocks in order. They have their own research projects, but also take on the responsibility of keeping records of the order's discoveries... A respected position.

Magister - Those who have proven worthy of taking leadership roles over the entire Chapter House in question.

High Magister - Voted Leader of the Chapter House, holds the deciding vote in any stalemates. Promotes the will of the Keepers by action and example above all others.

Why Do This?

Because the Monolith sounded pretty incredible, and filled the niche of being a repository of magical knowledge and practice that wasn't burdened by governments and their politics. It was a load of squabbling mages, fundamentally united beneath the idea that magic is awesome.

It's gone now, and nothing ever really popped up to fill that niche. I think there's room for it on the server, particularly with EE on the horizon. This is essentially an idea, I'm sure people have dreamt up similar things in the past. It's simply something that'd tickle my fancy if it garnered interest and was acceptable from a lore stand-point.

Rook - Tiefling Witch

Grumdur Bari'Var - Dwarven Raider

Desimir Maric - Spellblade of Savras

Cassius Dain - Scribe of House Gulderhom

Timezone: UK (GMT+0)

Last edited by Strom on Tue, Jul 23 2019, 22:04 PM, edited 13 times in total.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 22 2019, 14:45 PM 

Player

// Not gonna tell you to not do anything, but I just wanna direct peoples attention to Beneloth for a few seconds to decide if we really need a whole new Faction - Dunecat has been keeping it alive for ages now and always tries to get people into it - Maybe that could serve as a Base of Operations of sorts?

Magiros

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 22 2019, 16:21 PM 

Player

Some characters would never go to Beneloth. I think this is a good initiative if you find deidcated players.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 22 2019, 16:41 PM 

Player

Magiros wrote:
Some characters would never go to Beneloth. I think this is a good initiative if you find deidcated players.

Some Characters also would never go to Kohlingen. I don't understand the point lol.

Like I said, not saying not to do anything, but if you somehow work with Beneloth on this you can probably build on that foundation, one hand helps the other and stuff. Just saying you won't have to start from Scratch and you'll get some of that sweet, sweet Moral-Dilemma RP.

I kinda just wanted to "correct" the part where OP said "Nothing of the kind ever popped up again".

Jes

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 22 2019, 18:15 PM 

DM

From what I've seen, Belenoth is nothing like the Monolith was. The Monolith folks in fact probably would have gone after them by now. Haha!

I definitely get where Strom is coming from in saying nothing like the Monolith happened again. I nearly did something like this myself a couple years ago, but then Mary got a new job and I couldn't. If they wanna work with something like Belenoth, then great. If not, then great. I look forward to seeing any concepts people have, wherever they go.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Magiros

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 22 2019, 18:29 PM 

Player

Point was that the concept can work outside of Beneloth too. It is good to build on old foundations at times, but at times new foundations give better opportunities.

Regardless, however they do decide to go about it, it will be interesting RP I am certain.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 22 2019, 19:08 PM 

Player

Fair enough.

It just always breaks my heart to see Dunecat all alone over there <.<

Magiros

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 22 2019, 19:53 PM 

Player

He needs some like minded individuals down there for sure! :P

Strom

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 22 2019, 22:47 PM 

Player

I'm glad people seem to be discussing this atleast!

I kinda hold the opinion here that this idea; the root concept is more important than the detail. You don't need to be the Keepers of the Mystic Flame. You could be the Scions of the Arcane Sigil. You could be from Waterdeep. Or nomadic. -- It's the root idea of having somewhere neutral, where mages of any creed feel that little special tingle of being amoungst peers. That's really the core of this.

Where your weird, obscure hobby is shared by everyone you meet. That place you immedately go when you know magical conflux is happening, because you know it'll be where someone lights a hand-rolled cigar, holds it between their wizardly lips and screams 'THE WEAVE ABIDES' as they fire an IGMS into a shoebox to end some case of arcana obscura.

Most of the existing settlements aren't really fitting to be the seat of this organisation, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't look upon them favourably as associates, or allies should things go smoothly.

Editted out irrelevant rambling.

Rook - Tiefling Witch

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 23 2019, 21:11 PM 

Tester

An organization of gishes that collect arcane knowledge, after the heart of the Monolith and the Tower before it. Oh, that I were still around.

I didn't feel you were rambling, but I'll address the points all the same as a player who ran something similar for a few years, and was also involved heavily with both Tarkuul and Belenoth. I had something longer written, but pared to down to sound less preachy and "back in my day." My inbox is always open, should you want additional help or info.

1) Go to where the people are.

Simply starting in a particular area or settlement doesn't mean you have to stay there. You can just as easily start in a settlement, garner interest for your group, and then move to your own faction base later. But you have to get traction before you can even have a group, and the groundwork of an already existing settlement helps with that.

2) It's okay to be different.

Perhaps the settlements you named don't fully reflect the idea of what you had in mind for your group. Here's the thing, though: they never can, unless you try to change them. There are only two real agents in this game: the players and the DMs as the NPCs and world itself. If a DM isn't directly introducing a plotline or such that moves a settlement a certain way(which can go very poorly if it's done too heavy-handedly), the only other option is the players.

By setting up shop in a settlement that doesn't exactly reflect what your group is, you may very well influence that settlement to look a bit more like your group, with time. Tarkuul and Belenoth specifically were taking great steps, sometimes together, to grow beyond their obvious tropes in recent history. This can easily be built off of and taken in a new direction.

3) Embrace history, even when creating something new.

We have created a beautiful patchwork genealogy of organizations and factions over the years on Amia. Tower of Mystra + Halen -> The Monolith + Weave Knights -> The Honorable Serpent -> The Mystic Blade. Knights of Benwick -> Kohlingen Defenders v1 &v2 -> Triadic Knights -> Platinum Knights.

If it is more the root concept that appeals to you than the details, using the groundwork laid by other organizations is a smart idea. Most often, that's what ends up happening. And the cool thing is, most of those groups operated very differently than each other, despite being closely associated, offshoots, or even contemporaries of other organizations. You're not really limiting yourself by using what's already there. To the contrary, you're giving yourself a better chance of sticking around and making a lasting impact on the gameworld.

At the end of the day, you have to do what you feel is fun and interesting for you. But like so many things in D&D and roleplay, there is probably more than one way to go about it.

Quote:
That place you immedately go when you know magical conflux is happening, because you know it'll be where someone lights a hand-rolled cigar, holds it between their wizardly lips and screams 'THE WEAVE ABIDES'

Also, if this becomes the group's motto(which would make me giddy to no end), some Tarkuulians might expect royalties. :lol:

Strom

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 24 2019, 12:18 PM 

Player

I've created a PC based upon this concept named Desimir. If anyone is interested in getting involved with new or old PC's, he's level 5 currently. Hopefully I won't be online so ludacrously late when I next play him, so I can start some development.

Rook - Tiefling Witch

Strom

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:39 AM 

Player

The Arcane Sigil
~An Order-Fraternal of the Mystic Flame~

Desimir gazed down at the message from the Watcher-Superior once more, his brow furrowing in thought.

The orders were simple enough; to establish a small sanctum upon the Isle of Amia. To investigate a dangerous planar rift that had come to be above the ruins of a city to the north of the island. To understand why this strange phenomenon would pose a danger to Vesperin, so far away.

He knew why he'd been sent. He had been praised and berated in equal measure for his independant streak, where others might flounder far from the Bluff. . . For Desimir there was a thrill in this challange. He felt the isolation from his peers, certainly. Yet, he could not help but think this could be the start of something, something new and exciting.
The spellsword sank back into his seat, turning his eyes out of the murky porthole of his ship towards the slowly looming port city of Cordor. He looked over it's strange architecture - both familiar and sterner than the spires and smooth lines of Raven's Bluff. These Amians had pushed back the might of Amn, they had defeated some terrible invasion by all accounts.
One of the officers on this vessel had leant him a tome, 'The Wyrmshadow Prophecy'. If it was true, then surely these people deserved less obscurity on the mainland, and perhaps a few more songs. Yet, perhaps it was best for an isle so beleagured to maintain it's distance from both knowledge, and mind of the paranoid courts of the central heartlands.

They would not like the prospect of outside intervention, and in their place nor would he. Being so close to Ruathym, he could only surmise they might share the same bleak view of mainlanders.
An alternate tact would be required for this to work, something different. Transparency and compromise, yet no loss of purpose. His hands turned over a new leaf in his journal, his fingers securing the ink well against the motion of the ship; as the stream of conciousness began...

The Collegiate of the Arcane SigilI believe for me to gain access to the information, and establish the desired sanctum for the Mystic Flame then this project will need to bring in the direct aid of the locals. I must gain their trust and I must ensure that my intentions remain strictly focussed upon the greater possible crisis.
This will not be easy, if this land is like any other then convincing conflicting settlements that you have no favouritism or agenda to their rivals can be. . . impossible. I know that I will burn a few bridges as I advance on my course, though likewise must I ensure the ones I forge are built are upon a foundation of integrity.

Integrity rarely allows one to remain entirely free from the burdensome passions those intent on finding you their enemy, simply because you do not agree with their radicalism - or, indeed, their inaction.

Incase my future self is burdened with little time for musing, then I pen this now. Rather than attempt to establish a sanctum under the well-known name of a foreign organisation concerned with magical security - which some may see as oppressive.
I shall endeavour to create a sister organisation here, on Amia. For the moment we shall call it the 'Collegiate of The Arcane Sigil'. These Sigilites, I view as scholars and investigators not operating for Raven's Bluff. But, for this Isle. For it achieves the same purpose.
Naturally, I must be transparent of my origins. I must be transparent in my dealings. But, nor shall I force people to swear fealty to an organisation that means nothing to them, and demands loyalty to a state they do not care for.

I shall hope to base many of the founding principals of this organisation, as familiar to the Keepers. As should we need to work in tandem in the future, then men and women of similar views and creeds shall be amoungst us all. The teachings of the Lord of Spells, his creed of responsibility and common learning must be abided.
From Savras, we shall attempt to instil a sense of fore thought and dare I say... common sense. From Mystra, as ever, we shall learn wonderment and the boundless depth of her gift to us all. . . Yet, we shall not be bound to Gods but to the guiding principal that mortal hands and mortal minds shape the world. To ignore the wisdom of ages is foolish, but to be bound by it is also to live in stagnancy.
Sigilites must, in my mind, agree that magic is the purest and truest expression of the advancement of civilisation. It's discipline teaches focus, and from a young age the burdens of power and knowledge. They must collect and catalogue discoveries and reposit magical lore, to better allow them to combat the myriad problems this world abides.

We must fight catastrophe and cataclysm. We must find joy in new discovery and new expressions of the Art. Likewise, there must be a responsibility to teach and foster right practice - free from the burden of politics and ego.

In this, I should both fulfil my duty to the Keepers, and ensure those of a like-mind are present upon Amian soil.

The Oath

1) The Aspirant accepts a unique arcane sigil that signifies their membership to the order upon their right palm, beneath the gaze of Mystra and Azuth.

2) Recite the Following: -

"Through these words, the power of the Weave calls to me; in answer, I take my vow as a Sigilite to the Arcane.

With this oath, I pledge to Amia and her people by using my magic with purpose and control; I shall protect the citizenry, especially the mundane, who have no defense against the power of magic.

I shall bring to the land’s justice those who would profane the Weave by using its energy recklessly, and bring about the destruction and corruption of the realm. Likewise, I shall remain vigilant for magical conflux that might pose a risk to the stability of the Isle, and shores beyond.

With this sigil I bear as witness, I shall use our knowledge for the benefit of all. I shall fight catastrophe and cataclysm. To teach others the joy in new discovery and expression of the Art. I shall endeavour to know restraint in ambition and foster right practice - free from the burdens of politics and ego.
For magic is the purest, and truest expression of the advancement of civilisation.

This be my oath."

3) They shall lay their right hand upon the Tome of Sigilites, and pass their mark and oath into it's pages. If the words were said in falsehood, the mark will not pass on.

Responsibilities

The sigilite must uphold their oath.

The siglite must always use magic wisely, that is with due thought to it's repercussions.

The sigilite must prevent the ruinous and reckless use of magic.

Each sigilite is sworn to uphold local law and to defend the Isle from those who would harm it.

The sigilite will always, regardless of the risk to her own life, attempt to complete an assigned mission. No risk is too great to preserve the safety and security of Amia against powerful and/or dangerous magic.

The sigilite will take extreme measures, without breaking her oath or any laws, to protect the realm in it's entirety against any foreign power that would undermine the realm through the use of magic, as well as capture any being that has endangered innocents or the land's settlements in any way, and turn that being over to the appropriate authorities for proper trial.

The sigilite will keep detailed records of any magical research or lore they perform or come across, and pass them over to the collegiate's archives to ensure nothing is lost or forgotten from the collective memory of the Arcane Sigil.

The sigilite will keep the secrets of the collegiate, as dangerous and reckless practices may be found and recorded over time - they must be held so they can be countered in future. Yet to impart this information to just anyone is reckless in it's own right.

Rook - Tiefling Witch

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]