View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Infernal_Pain

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 19 2014, 16:38 PM 

Player

I need info on divine wards, specifically wards that would/should keep Outsiders at bay. I've been looking all over the Internet with who knows what search criteria, but nothing comes close to what I want.

What I need to know is the usual how-stuff. How they're done exactly, what preparations must be made, components, cast time, duration etc.

Liz

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 19 2014, 17:55 PM 

Player

I recommend a 3rd Ed open-gaming licensed sourcebook called "Evil," published by AEG, if you can dig up a copy or pdf of it. It has a whole chapter on fiend summoning, which is really detailed and well thought through.

Grymia

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 19 2014, 19:22 PM 

Player

If you have Book of Exalted Deeds, it might have something as well.

Infernal_Pain

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 19 2014, 21:58 PM 

Player

Eh, neither of those seemed to have what I'm looking for. I need info on protective wards against nasty Outsiders, y'know... "You shall not pass!"

Last edited by Infernal_Pain on Wed, Feb 19 2014, 22:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Grymia

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 19 2014, 22:12 PM 

Player

Good core book spell: Forbiddance , IIRC. You can find it on the D20srd.org site.. :p Aside from that.. mm..

Yossarin

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 19 2014, 23:35 PM 

Player

You are not likely to find perfectly streamlined canon mechanical rule information about wards in D&D. There is no "ward" mechanic, necessarily, just a lot of spells and features that function like wards. Ward is a classical occult concept of a mystical compulsion to not cross a prepared barrier. The Forbiddance spell that Grymia mentions probably comes the closest to conceiving of how they would function, but I believe the wards being utilized in the new system are less like rote spells and more like "construction features", as in, magical effects that a person can build into an area. Wards can take a few different shapes and forms, but in essence it would usually be ward vs. alignment, creature type, or race (or some variants like wards vs. schools of magic, vs. magic period, or vs. specific individuals, the latter of which would usually require a strong sympathetic agent in the preparation of the ward). One rule I have seen, at least in Pathfinder (the Lesser Ward spell, probably, which is a rote spell with a 10 minute casting time) is that they cannot be constructed vs. class or vs. hit die, vs. appearance or vs. level.

Wards are traditionally based around glyphs, or some visual, physical marker of the ward, such as a glyph of warding, a glyph that means "death to fey" to prevent fey from crossing, a circle of silver dust, a line of salt, running water, etc. Ergo, hastily constructed wards are often easily spotted and disabled. Ones wherein forethought is given and the ward is part of the complex itself may be significantly more complex. In Pathfinder, for example, wards are treated like traps and you can use "disable device" on them to manhandle the glyph/physical marker to shut down the ward itself. It sounds that in our system, one does not quite have that luxury and instead bypassing a ward is a matter of fooling it to make it think you fit its parameters (or at least we have that as an option, which is awesome.)

To answer a bit more directly, though, Infernal, powdered silver is the highly traditional ward component against Outsiders, in both the divine and the arcane traditions, no matter their alignment. You will note that the Magic Circle vs. spells all use it, on both sides of the axes (good/evil, law/chaos). Summoning circles are in themselves wards, and the thing you summon is thus trapped inside a circle of powdered silver.

Some of you may be asking yourselves, "But what about neutral outsiders? Haha, there are no wards against them!"

Sorry, bruiser. The Magic Circle vs. spells specifically state "non-good" or "non-law" or whatever, so neutral entities are often doubly boned. A Magic Circle vs. Good will block anything that is LN, NN, CN, LE, NE, or CE. Likewise, a Magic Circle vs. Chaos will block anything that is LG, NG, LN, NN, LE, or NE.

The idea is that the magician knows something about the alignment of whatever it is he is summoning. If he is instead performing Silent's Grab Bag o' Random Outsiders with no idea what he might summon and only has one ward type up then he is an idiot of a magician. :)

Infernal_Pain

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 20 2014, 16:14 PM 

Player

Yeah, guess it's either Forbiddance or Hallowing, that one essentially works like a magic circle and makes the area holy to top it off. Oh well, always nicer to just wing it.

Liz

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 20 2014, 16:30 PM 

Player

Infernal_Pain wrote:
Eh, neither of those seemed to have what I'm looking for. I need info on protective wards against nasty Outsiders, y'know... "You shall not pass!"

If you're looking for a "you shall not pass!" spell, Repulsion seems kind of like the effect Gandalf was aiming for in that scene. :) It's not specifically targeted against Outsiders, though.

Infernal_Pain

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 20 2014, 16:41 PM 

Player

Uhh no, it was only to elaborate the type of ward I want to do, not an actual on-the-spot spell. Hammertime works for that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]