| AMIA ARCHIVE https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/ |
|
| Para Elemental Genasi https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=73559 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | bobofwestoregonusa [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 19:30 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Para Elemental Genasi |
Hey, this is coming from a guy who knows absolutely nothing about the planes for the most part and lacks the books. Are there any books on magma/smoke/ice/etc. genasi and if so which ones are there? I'm also very specifically curious about the Ice Genasi for reasons of a request. |
|
| Author: | Cratz [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 20:13 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
I think the Monster Manual has something about it. I don't quite remember, as it's been a long time since I've seen it. |
|
| Author: | Liz [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 20:18 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
You'll have to go back to 2nd Edition sources or earlier for stuff on the para and quasi planes, since WotC scrapped them in 3rd Ed and onward. There's stuff in the 1st Ed Manual of the Planes, but not a lot of detail, IIRC. I think if you're looking to request a nonstandard genasi character, you're probably free to just riff whatever lore you like, and try to wow the DMs with something interesting and fun. |
|
| Author: | NinjaClarinet [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 20:21 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
Ice genasi? That's a pretty...cool idea |
|
| Author: | Cratz [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 20:22 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
NinjaClarinet wrote: Ice genasi? That's a pretty...cool idea ...*facepalms* I knew that would happen. |
|
| Author: | The Great Equalizer [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 21:02 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
Actually the para elemental planes as well as quasi-elemantal planes continue through 3.5 as well although they are not very prominent, they do still get a mention in the 3.5 manual of the planes although I would look in the 1st edition manual of the planes, or even some of the planescape stuff, of course it probably is mentioned in dragon magazine at some point as well, at least I think it was. Although honestly para and quasi elementals just mix traits from the planes they intersect so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out even just based on lore of the more common elementals and elemental planes. |
|
| Author: | Silkelock [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 21:19 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
Dragon Magazine 297 deal with the para-elemental Genasi. Quote: Ice Para-Genasi are cold, emotionless beings. Like most genasi, they tend toward neutrality. They appear human. but their features are often sharper and more chiseled than normal, and their skin is paler than the norm for their race. In addition, they have one or two minor supernatural traits that hint at their heritage, such as breath that frosts even in the hottest weather or frost-caked hair. They prefer loose, light clothing in whites and pale blues, even in cool climates.
+2 Wis -2 Dex -2 Cha Ice para-genasi are hearty and observant, but they are sluggish and often seem uncaring. |
|
| Author: | Liz [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 21:22 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
I should say, I don't know if the para and quasi planes are brought back in later editions, since I've never played them. In 3rd, though, they definitely don't exist. The inner planes are completely and individually contained in the Astral, they don't border on each other or on anything else. Amia has kind of confused that though, with some of its monsters and lore, so it's hard to say whether Amia follows that very closely. |
|
| Author: | bobofwestoregonusa [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 21:27 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
Oh dear god I just realized I posted this on Improving Amia and not lore. Can the nearest DM please move this topic to the correct section of the forums? |
|
| Author: | bobofwestoregonusa [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 22:37 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
Liz wrote: I should say, I don't know if the para and quasi planes are brought back in later editions, since I've never played them. In 3rd, though, they definitely don't exist. The inner planes are completely and individually contained in the Astral, they don't border on each other or on anything else. Amia has kind of confused that though, with some of its monsters and lore, so it's hard to say whether Amia follows that very closely. I'm pretty sure Amia allows for para-elementals since I've seen the smoke and mud elemental summons before. They're rather cool. |
|
| Author: | The Great Equalizer [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 22:43 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
Para and quasi planes are present in the world tree and the great wheel cosmology (as of 3.5 at the very lest) which amia sort of mashes together anyway so yep you should be good lorewise. |
|
| Author: | Liz [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 22:46 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
The Great Equalizer wrote: Para and quasi planes are present in the world tree and the great wheel cosmology (as of 3.5 at the very lest) ... Cite a source? I've never found a reference to them in 3rd. |
|
| Author: | The Great Equalizer [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 22:52 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
Sure thing, it can be a pain to notice since they only get a small mention in the manual of the planes 3.0 and only a slightly more in depth one in the 3.5 version, but it should be on page 65 and 66 respectively in the 3.0 and 3.5 "Manual of the Planes". |
|
| Author: | Liz [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 23:02 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
... there is no 3.5 edition MotP. The 3rd edition mention on p66 is specifically as an optional variant that does not adhere to the Great Wheel, and it doesn't even give names for them. It's just a "DMs can make up their own stuff here" kind of thing. |
|
| Author: | The Great Equalizer [ Mon, Oct 07 2013, 23:10 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
Ahhhh, true enough I oddly just have it in both my 3.0 and 3.5 references which is why I got confused. And it is indeed an optional variant of the world tree, but its a variant option in cannon material (Likely because of the great wheel cosmology before it), amusingly probably making it the most Amia like variant in the cannon DND. Edit: Although oddly the MotP refers to it as the "Great wheel" even though it had already changed over to the world tree cosmology... Its confusing shit, especially when FR was built with the Great Wheel in mind and not the World Tree. |
|
| Author: | Cerpin Taxt [ Tue, Oct 08 2013, 3:01 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
Here's their entry on Dragon #297, pages 63-66. If you want the pdf, pm me your skype and I can upload it to you. Liz wrote: The Great Equalizer wrote: Para and quasi planes are present in the world tree and the great wheel cosmology (as of 3.5 at the very lest) ... Cite a source? I've never found a reference to them in 3rd. There isn't going to be a source for it, but according to Tormak Amia uses both the wheel and the tree. viewtopic.php?p=1182980#p1182980 NinjaClarinet wrote: Amia uses Tree AND Wheel. TormakSaber wrote: Correct. Amia uses an amalgam of Tree and Wheel which places many of the Tree realsm as demi-realms within the more familiar to most players) Wheel Cosmology. The House of the Triad exists in the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, for example, and the Demonweb Pits are a Layer of the Abyss.
|
|
| Author: | Kamina [ Tue, Oct 08 2013, 16:13 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Para Elemental Genasi |
Ooze Genasi when? |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|