View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
Blue Moon

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 22 2013, 19:44 PM 

Player

So bear with me, from my forum searches I know these things have been talked to death about the aasimar subraces, but I have questions about both

1. Are you ready for this dead horse? Let me hear you make some noise 'cause I'm about to beat it

How does the aasimar elf/half-elf subrace work here? If I choose an elf aasimar am I "half-elf"? But there are ALSO half-elf aasimar? Am I not elven at all, only human, and simply choosing a phenotype? If so then why would an aasimar-human hybrid EVER look like a dwarf?

What is the general strength of celestial blood in aasimars on amia? Is it 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, further, or personal choice? Do all aasimar continuously have children who are also clearly aasimar or does the bloodline go dormant sometimes?

So if an elf mates with an aasimar, they will then be half elven, and the other parts human/half-elf and celestial?

Would there be more or less elven blood if the elf mates with an aasimar who is also half-elf (their parents were an elf and aasimar and they're continuing the tradition)? Would they be 3/4 elf? That would make a lot more sense in explaining elven aasimar vs. half-elven aasimar, i.e EA's are 3/4

Would a half-elf aasimar live longer than a human aasimar, but less than an elf? Do they mature like an elf or an aasimar?

Dear god my head
-----

2. I've tried my best to make sense of the Amian timeline in regards to the FR, I KNOW it stops at 1374 DR but I'm having a hard time keeping track of what elven cities still exist because the FR wiki (not a reliable source according to DMs, also know) talks about them in the past-tense. I know you guys say "read the books!" but I'm not about to go buy them all for one character concept nor are they readily available at my local Barnes.

Basically, I want to know where Moon Elves are "living" in Faerun outside of Amia, so I know where to make my half-elf and her family come from. Is Moonsea still around? Evereska is gone and still in ruins from what I see of forum lore. Where else would elves come from, Cormyr? If anyone has any suggests I'd gladly welcome

---

3. Elves reverie, but don't or RARELY dream unless they're a priestess of Sehanine, right? Why is one of their major gods a patron of dreams if that race doesn't dream? Does she just take regular boring human dreams and make them very special, coveted, divine messages to elves? I've never understood that about the Seldarine. Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Would a half-elf dream, or reverie? Or both?

---

4. Where do babies come from? No seriously, does FR ever talk about that?
All I can find is discussions on other forums about the same thing and a few pages of homebrew lore but elven pregnancy seems to vary from 12 months to 2 years? All I can find is this part about Drow pregnancy on our forums
Quote:
PREGNANCY AND BIRTH:

Unlike the other elves Drow are as fertile as humans or orcs. They can have up to ten times the number of births as females from the other elven races.

I guess elves aren't super fertile? I assume elves do the nasty just like humans, but are they ever subject to the same complications during pregnancy and birth or are they just so magically perfect they bleed rosewater and compose a love song on the flute during their delivery?

If anyone takes the time to answer even one of these I'd be so grateful :)

"[SocksOnFeet] Arabella Amakiir: [Talk] That girl got buns, hon. "

Liz

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 22 2013, 20:06 PM 

Player

If you're an elven aasimar, you're 99% elf and 1% (or maybe even less) celestial. A half-elven aasimar is 49.5% elf, 49.5% human, and 1% (or maybe even less) celestial. I think you're getting tripped up by thinking of aasimar as a separate individual race, when it's not. It represents a tiny portion of your blood, from way, way back in your ancestry, that just happened to manifest in you for some reason. Aasmiar don't "breed true," they're born from non-aasmiar parents, and a child of aasimar parents would probably be a non-aasimar.

Moon elves can be basically from anywhere. Evereska is badly hurt but still standing, I believe. There's lots of moon elves in the Moonwood / Silverymoon area also, and we have some from Evermeet already in game.

All elves "dream" during reverie, in the sense that they experience visions of memories and hopes and so on. It's not really "dreaming" in the way humans dream, but there's no better word for it in Common (i.e., English).

I've never read anything that describes elven pregnancy or childbirth to be especially different from that of humans. In fact, given that elves and humans can produce offspring together, seems like they kind of have to be more or less identical in that regard. I think elves are described as being less fertile than humans only because if elves reproduced at the same rate as humans while also living ten times as long, then the world would be choked with elves, and humans would be a tiny minority.

Blue Moon

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 22 2013, 20:49 PM 

Player

Liz wrote:

All elves "dream" during reverie, in the sense that they experience visions of memories and hopes and so on. It's not really "dreaming" in the way humans dream, but there's no better word for it in Common (i.e., English).

So then what does the half-elf do? Regular human dreaming?

IronAngel

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 22 2013, 20:56 PM 

Player

I think Arilyn Moonblade slept, a fact she had to conceal from some wild elves she was staying with to hide her heritage.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 22 2013, 22:18 PM 

Tester

From what I recall, Elves of all subraces can sleep, but choose to reverie for multiple reasons. Half-elves must sleep, I believe. But that is also odd, given they get Sleep Immunity as a racial bonus. I would say, personally, it would be an issue of upbringing. Elves use reverie as a method to think and cope with the past, and there are even some that theorize an elven child shares in its mother's reveries, while still in the womb, gaining a latent sense of the way his kind work. To that end, my own opinion is that a half-elf could not reverie, unless the mother was elven or it was taught by its elven parent/an elven culture.

The rest I feel is really, really too big to generalize. Aasimar, even in their original lore of being only a human subrace, can be spawned from the trace of basically any gender-ed higher-planar being. For an elven or half-elven creature, I would think that list would include Ghaeles and Eladrin too. In which case, the properties of their far-removed offspring are even more open. Though to be completely honest, I see a Half-Elven Aasimar as toeing dangerously close to that “1/4th Dragon” line. If it is a big part of the PCs character to have all three heritages as an active part of their being, go for it. But otherwise, I wouldn't stress over it too much.

Xeorsos

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 22 2013, 22:40 PM 

Player

Liz wrote:
If you're an elven aasimar, you're 99% elf and 1% (or maybe even less) celestial. A half-elven aasimar is 49.5% elf, 49.5% human, and 1% (or maybe even less) celestial. I think you're getting tripped up by thinking of aasimar as a separate individual race, when it's not. It represents a tiny portion of your blood, from way, way back in your ancestry, that just happened to manifest in you for some reason. Aasmiar don't "breed true," they're born from non-aasmiar parents, and a child of aasimar parents would probably be a non-aasimar.

I think this is a pretty significant exaggeration. My understand of Aasimar is any race (usually human) who is 1/4 or less celestial. Enough celestial to have that goodie-two-shoes draw and some magical perks, but not enough to be struck into permament alignments. Keep in mind that there's enough celestial in them to change their creature type. That's not to say that the type of Aasimar you're describing is incorrect- rather that it's only one way to play the character.

You're absolutely right about how to think about them, I agree. Aasimar are not a defined race, but rather a subset of any of the other races (On Amia, anyways).

Liz

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 23 2013, 1:31 AM 

Player

Reverie isn't an instinctive skill for either elves or half-elves. It has to be practiced and learned. The game assumes that elves begin play already having done their practicing and learning, since it's a thing that elven culture instills in its kids early. Before they learn it, though, elven children sleep, and adult elves are still capable of sleep, though it's only typically done in case of grievous injury or illness. Half-elves are capable of reverie, but whether your half-elf actually does it or not would probably be dependent on her background: did she grow up among elves or humans?

Liz

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 23 2013, 1:38 AM 

Player

Xeorsos wrote:
Liz wrote:
<stuff>

I think this is a pretty significant exaggeration.

It's not. Aasimar are always described as the distant descendants of a mortal and a celestial, who get their planar traits from generations long past. (see Races of Destiny p. 92, or Amia's own descrition of them in the subraces sidebar.) If you had a grandparent who was a full celestial, you'd be way more powerful than a piffly little ECL +1.

Blue Moon

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 23 2013, 3:24 AM 

Player

Liz wrote:
Reverie isn't an instinctive skill for either elves or half-elves. It has to be practiced and learned. The game assumes that elves begin play already having done their practicing and learning, since it's a thing that elven culture instills in its kids early. Before they learn it, though, elven children sleep, and adult elves are still capable of sleep, though it's only typically done in case of grievous injury or illness. Half-elves are capable of reverie, but whether your half-elf actually does it or not would probably be dependent on her background: did she grow up among elves or humans?

Elves only. Elven mother. Father wasn't in the picture very much.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 23 2013, 9:55 AM 

Player

To add to Liz's Aasimar comment: let's assume that planar blood manifests to the, say, 100th generation. (It might actually carry the Planetouched potential even longer.) Now what is the likelihood of a given Aasimar to be within the first four generations? It's not even 4%, because there number of planar-blood descendants multiplies exponentially every generation. In a very crude example, one half-celestial gets two children. Those two both get two. Now there are four, who all get two children to make it a generation of 8 potential Aasimars. As you will understand, this number explodes exponentially when you go down to the 10th or 20th generation, leaving the proportion of 1/4, 1/8 or even 1/16 Aasimars miniscule in comparison to the rest of them. And this example was based on very low birth rates: pre-modern families, like those on Faerûn, are more likely to have three to five children, not two.

So not only is it cheesy to say have a celestial close to you in the family, the statistical chances are also astronomically tiny.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

P Three

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 25 2013, 2:48 AM 

DM

I have a half-elf aasimar. Just for reference. She works fine

On Amia being 1/4 is looked heavily down upon by the DMs. This was laid out in regards to RDDs specifically but was reiterated over and over and over for genasi, aasimar and tiefers.

Yee-haw!

Aly'dra Zau'ana: Priestessish Of Eilistraee
Danika Nefzen: Druid of the Earthmother
Delia Am'Anodel: Paladin of Torm

Blue Moon

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 25 2013, 21:31 PM 

Player

I have no problem with the bloodline, I'm actually very relieved to find out I don't have to roleplay being 1/4 or 1/8 and try to explain why a celestial would do the funk with my great-grandma. I only asked because I've been on other servers who do explain it like that. I like the sudden expression of genes that makes my character uneasy and uncomfortable with her appearance with 0 explanation or history for it.

I'm still not very clear on whether a half-elf raised by an elf can do reverie. I was hoping for a DMs input or possibly team ruling, as I see conflicting statements here, "no" "only if they're taught" and I even met a half-elf in-game who claimed to be able to do both. Is it all up to my own preference? I'd like to figure out what I'm actually allowed to do before I delve into this side of roleplay with my character as it's pretty important.

Rigela

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 25 2013, 21:53 PM 

Player

It would depend on the characters background. If they grew up with elves, from birth - then it is most likely they can. Otherwise it would be rather iffy as Liz says. It could be possible, I suppose, to learn at an older age, but almost certainly much harder as its not something elves simply 'do'

Given that half elves have the 'sleep immunity', it does point to them being able too.

So, from what I know... what Liz said, basically.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 25 2013, 22:15 PM 

Player

I don't think anyone said an absolute "no", in any case. If you meant me, Arilyn is just the only NPC example that comes to mind and she in fact slept, didn't reverie. You can only generalise from that that at least some half-elves need sleep. That brings up a distinction that we need to keep explicit: the ability to reverie on one hand, and the ability to forgo sleep altogether. One might be capable of the former but not the latter.

Did you (or the other participants here) check both Races of Faerûn and Elves of Evermeet? I think they're the two books that explain reverie, so the information should be there if it's anywhere.

Without checking them, my guess would be that while some half-elves can (learn to) reverie, it does not eliminate the physiological need for sleep. They might need a lot less of it than humans, but it's probably not possible to transcend the body and ignore biology altogether. It's all very speculative, but that's at least thematically fitting for someone caught between two worlds - even if they embrace their elven heritage and attempt to join with the People in reverie, they're still kept from perfect union by their inability to leave behind human bodily needs.

Blue Moon

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 25 2013, 22:30 PM 

Player

IronAngel wrote:
Did you (or the other participants here) check both Races of Faerûn and Elves of Evermeet? I think they're the two books that explain reverie, so the information should be there if it's anywhere.

Are these available to read online anywhere? >.> Otherwise I don't know how to get my hands on them

Quote:
Without checking them, my guess would be that while some half-elves can (learn to) reverie, it does not eliminate the physiological need for sleep. They might need a lot less of it than humans, but it's probably not possible to transcend the body and ignore biology altogether. It's all very speculative, but that's at least thematically fitting for someone caught between two worlds - even if they embrace their elven heritage and attempt to join with the People in reverie, they're still kept from perfect union by their inability to leave behind human bodily needs.

I actually really like this and was hoping I could do something like it. Her struggle against her biology vs. what race she feels she is is what I want to play.

Magiros

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 26 2013, 12:42 PM 

Player

Having played D&D on table, the elf characters usually required less resting than other races. What I can recall. What comes to immune to sleep, I would say it is simply a feat that makes your character immune to sleep-effects brought upon the by magic or some kind of poisons. I believe they still can choose to sleep, but not being made to sleep by other party.

My elf doesn't sleep, why? Because she is from Evermeet and has been taught to reverie. Being able to reverie is important to elfs as it was, passed down to them by the Fey and actually the benefits from it are greater than from sleeping. Even though both Fey and Elfs reverie, the fey's ability to reverie is far greater than elf's.

Though, it is possible that some elf's try to improve their ability to reverie, how such is done, I do not know. Perhaps through guidance from a fey. The fey can teach even humans to reverie, assuming they have the lifespan for it. This all is currently from my memory upon reading Complete Fey or something alike, I can't find the book on my laptop at the moment. There was whole chapter upon reverie.

My character actually has a brother who sleeps, such skill is suspected to be tied to gift from Sehahine Moonbow. It was a character approved by DM for alternative beginnings and the brother could simply fall asleep during conversation. He was very tired all the time, but through these he was claimed to receive visions. Naturally, we do not know if they were true but such it was RP:ied by our House entirely and there was a reputation on hi having received real visions of what might occur in future.

I will try to find the book I mentioned and so I can take direct quotes or point you fellows to it.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 26 2013, 12:47 PM 

Player

The Complete Guide to Fey is a non-canon Goodman Games product, I think. I am unaware of any connection between the fey and elven reverie in the Realms, though I suppose there might be one.

Edit: neither Elves of Evermeet nor Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves says anything about half-elven reverie, or the fey connection. My RoF pdf can't be searched, so I didn't check that one. I doubt there's anything more, though. It's in Cormanthyr that most of the information is found, under Elven Faculties. (There are many references in the history, NPC and high magic sections too.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]