| AMIA ARCHIVE https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/ |
|
| Helm's holy symbol. https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=68933 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Gobbledygook [ Sat, Nov 24 2012, 23:35 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Helm's holy symbol. |
I've been doing a little research into the deity Helm, and something is really bugging me. Helm's holy symbol is described as: "Staring eye with blue pupil on upright left war gauntlet." (FR Wiki, Helm entry.) However, when you see all of the artwork for Helm's holy symbol, it is always an upright RIGHT war gauntlet. ![]() So here's the lore related question: Could this be used as the basis for a cult-worship of Helm? I'm talking about an offshoot of the Church that see themselves as the true worshipers of Helm because they think of the symbol as the (right/left) gauntlet. Also, which is actually correct in the mainstream of the Church, the description or the image of the holy symbol? |
|
| Author: | Naivatkal [ Sat, Nov 24 2012, 23:39 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Helm's holy symbol. |
I would say the image, since the descrip can be wrong more readily. However, that's coming from someone that hasn't looked it up. Just my gut reaction haha. |
|
| Author: | IronAngel [ Sun, Nov 25 2012, 8:59 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Helm's holy symbol. |
You've been reading Faiths & Pantheons, I suppose. In fact, Faiths & Avatars has no conflict. First of all, the image is less detailed, so you can't say whether it's the back or the palm of the gauntlet. And secondly, the symbol is described as "an open, staring eye with a blue pupil and outline painted on the back of a right-hand war gauntlet or the palm of a left-hand war gauntlet." But yes, I imagine it would be a question of ritual between different denominations. I doubt it's significant enough to inspire a cult of its own, but mainline denominations with other differences of opinion and a motivation to distinguish themselves from the "other side" would no doubt adopt this gauntlet question as part of their identity. Something like the filioque-controversy. |
|
| Author: | Gobbledygook [ Sun, Nov 25 2012, 10:17 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Helm's holy symbol. |
IronAngel wrote: You've been reading Faiths & Pantheons, I suppose. In fact, Faiths & Avatars has no conflict. First of all, the image is less detailed, so you can't say whether it's the back or the palm of the gauntlet. And secondly, the symbol is described as "an open, staring eye with a blue pupil and outline painted on the back of a right-hand war gauntlet or the palm of a left-hand war gauntlet." But yes, I imagine it would be a question of ritual between different denominations. I doubt it's significant enough to inspire a cult of its own, but mainline denominations with other differences of opinion and a motivation to distinguish themselves from the "other side" would no doubt adopt this gauntlet question as part of their identity. Something like the filioque-controversy. That's a good point. Thanks for the answer, Iron! |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|