View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
Gobbledygook
 
PostPosted: Sat, Nov 24 2012, 23:35 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 18 Sep 2011

I've been doing a little research into the deity Helm, and something is really bugging me. Helm's holy symbol is described as: "Staring eye with blue pupil on upright left war gauntlet." (FR Wiki, Helm entry.)

However, when you see all of the artwork for Helm's holy symbol, it is always an upright RIGHT war gauntlet.
Image


So here's the lore related question: Could this be used as the basis for a cult-worship of Helm? I'm talking about an offshoot of the Church that see themselves as the true worshipers of Helm because they think of the symbol as the (right/left) gauntlet. Also, which is actually correct in the mainstream of the Church, the description or the image of the holy symbol?

_________________
Just lurking about!


 
      
Naivatkal
 
PostPosted: Sat, Nov 24 2012, 23:39 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 26 May 2010

I would say the image, since the descrip can be wrong more readily.

However, that's coming from someone that hasn't looked it up. Just my gut reaction haha.

_________________
Whomst've'll'd'mn't I play:
Salema Nefahri :: A penny for your thots
Zrae'a'stra'fryn :: That which nightmares are made of
Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming


 
      
IronAngel
 
PostPosted: Sun, Nov 25 2012, 8:59 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 29 Sep 2005
Location: Helsinki, Finland

You've been reading Faiths & Pantheons, I suppose. In fact, Faiths & Avatars has no conflict. First of all, the image is less detailed, so you can't say whether it's the back or the palm of the gauntlet. And secondly, the symbol is described as "an open, staring eye with a blue pupil and outline painted on the back of a right-hand war gauntlet or the palm of a left-hand war gauntlet."

But yes, I imagine it would be a question of ritual between different denominations. I doubt it's significant enough to inspire a cult of its own, but mainline denominations with other differences of opinion and a motivation to distinguish themselves from the "other side" would no doubt adopt this gauntlet question as part of their identity. Something like the filioque-controversy.

_________________
On Joon, Kjetta wrote:
The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!


 
      
Gobbledygook
 
PostPosted: Sun, Nov 25 2012, 10:17 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 18 Sep 2011

IronAngel wrote:
You've been reading Faiths & Pantheons, I suppose. In fact, Faiths & Avatars has no conflict. First of all, the image is less detailed, so you can't say whether it's the back or the palm of the gauntlet. And secondly, the symbol is described as "an open, staring eye with a blue pupil and outline painted on the back of a right-hand war gauntlet or the palm of a left-hand war gauntlet."

But yes, I imagine it would be a question of ritual between different denominations. I doubt it's significant enough to inspire a cult of its own, but mainline denominations with other differences of opinion and a motivation to distinguish themselves from the "other side" would no doubt adopt this gauntlet question as part of their identity. Something like the filioque-controversy.


That's a good point. Thanks for the answer, Iron! :)

_________________
Just lurking about!


 
      
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group