AMIA ARCHIVE
https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/

The Other Continents
https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=64482
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Naivatkal [ Wed, Mar 07 2012, 22:56 PM ]
Post subject:  The Other Continents

Two part question:

1) Is it legal (ie without a Request) to play a character that is from another continent of Toril? I'm referring to an average adventurer from, say, Kara-Tur or whatever, without any nobility or anything special beyond what someone for Faerun would have.

2) Where can I find more 3e/3.5e information on those areas? I know Kara-Tur is an oriental style setting, and I know there is also Maztica and Zakhara (I know the latter is arabian themed as well). I'm considering a new char that might fit nicely from a different continent, but I'm not sure if I can just make it or not.

Thanks!

Author:  NinjaClarinet [ Wed, Mar 07 2012, 23:09 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

I've yet to make an Amian native, so I certainly hope it doesn't take a request :P

Author:  Ðraco [ Wed, Mar 07 2012, 23:10 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

I don't see why not, I've seen players play characters that came from Kara-Tur without DM requests. I know in one case that a DM knew of one and didn't seem to have issues with it. Playing a character from halfway around the world isn't much different from playing a character from some unheard of Island, or at least unheard of to most characters ICly.

Author:  Naivatkal [ Wed, Mar 07 2012, 23:22 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

Ðraco wrote:
I don't see why not, I've seen players play characters that came from Kara-Tur without DM requests. I know in one case that a DM knew of one and didn't seem to have issues with it. Playing a character from halfway around the world isn't much different from playing a character from some unheard of Island, or at least unheard of to most characters ICly.


Yup, that's what I figured. I've seen someone from Kara-Tur and Zakhara myself.

Author:  Gers [ Wed, Mar 07 2012, 23:22 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

Playing a samurai/ronin from Kozakura? Fine.

Playing a samurai/ronin from Kozakura who also happens to be the son of the shogun? No.

There's no problem with having characters from strange, far-off locales, nor are requests for such required, so long as you play them appropriately and they've got an acceptable background.

Author:  Naivatkal [ Wed, Mar 07 2012, 23:27 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

Gers wrote:
Playing a samurai/ronin from Kozakura? Fine.

Playing a samurai/ronin from Kozakura who also happens to be the son of the shogun? No.

There's no problem with having characters from strange, far-off locales, nor are requests for such required, so long as you play them appropriately and they've got an acceptable background.


Good, gooooood.

Now, I must find intelz! Assist me!





Pretty please.

Author:  Gunz [ Thu, Mar 08 2012, 2:48 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

The vast majority of information you're going to find about Maztica, Zakhara and Kara-Tur will be 2nd edition. There are really only tidbits in 3 and 3.5.

Some books to look for:

Al-Qadim - Land of Fate
Al-Qadim - Arabian Adventures

Oriental Adventures
Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms

Maztica Campaign Set
Maztica - City of Gold

Author:  Naivatkal [ Thu, Mar 08 2012, 2:51 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

Gunz wrote:
The vast majority of information you're going to find about Maztica, Zakhara and Kara-Tur will be 2nd edition. There are really only tidbits in 3 and 3.5.


That's good enough!

Author:  Silent2001 [ Thu, Mar 08 2012, 10:10 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

The continent far off in the west probably needs a request, seeing as there (as far as I know) any source books about it. I'd also be swayed towards saying Maztican's need a request of some sort.

Author:  Gers [ Thu, Mar 08 2012, 10:12 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

Maztica is the continent far off in the west >>

Author:  Nivo [ Thu, Mar 08 2012, 14:01 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

I'm not sure that Mazticans should need any sort of special request, above and beyond what is already expected of PCs from exotic locales. After-all, Maztica and the Sword Coast are already inexorably linked via Amn. Also, they are already linked to Amia by plot(s).

Now, a Maztican plumaweaver? That would require a request. But some random Maztican which fate led to Amia? Probably not, in my opinion.

Author:  Gunz [ Thu, Mar 08 2012, 21:13 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

Yep, agreed.

Author:  Yossarin [ Thu, Mar 08 2012, 21:18 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

Anyone interested in playing a Maztican should try to locate some resources, because the influence of the outside on Maztican has certainly given many of the locals there a certain view of others over the past thirty years or so.

Author:  linlan [ Fri, Mar 09 2012, 21:50 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

The Wizard website was redone and Download section got all shuffled apparently ?

- A link to the core Maztica material was provided by Silent in his Alt.Beginning plot (in late 1380 DR).
His first post should give you the TSR# to feed your search engine ? (or... PM me for email)
At the end of that plot, a handful of Maztican natives (all of whom were Payit IIRC) made it to Amia proper.

Given Maztica was 2nd Edition, the FR Wiki is accurate :wink: It's obviously an abstract and works fine as a cheat sheet but I'd definitely echo Yoss's suggestion to read some of the existing literature !

If you want to dive further, David Schwartz himself gave some more details on this page on Paizo website. You'll also read about the Maztica Alive group who have been rather active on the Maztica front lately !


- References of various Dragon articles about Kara-Tur are available here

Author:  Gunz [ Fri, Mar 09 2012, 23:30 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

Keep in mind that looking into what David Schwartz wrote in that forum is all fine and good, but it's not accurate for Amia.

Author:  Naivatkal [ Tue, Mar 13 2012, 2:49 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

What about worshiping deities not of the Faerun pantheons?

It's easier for non-cleric/paladin, obviously, and I'm guessing that's okay.

For divine (and divine-like) classes, can you substitute in an appropriate Faerun deity for the one from the other continent/whatever?

Author:  Ulir [ Sat, Mar 17 2012, 22:53 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

How very, very slim are the chances that you can play a Knight of the Rose (Dragonlance) that left the odd dimensional traveling machine from BG2 in the slums (if I recall correctly) and was left behind, then frozen by mages of Thay after experiments, waking up today, escaping and fleeing to Amia? 8)

Author:  Yossarin [ Sat, Mar 17 2012, 23:02 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

You're banned.

Author:  Gunz [ Sun, Mar 18 2012, 6:52 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

Naivatkal wrote:
What about worshiping deities not of the Faerun pantheons?

It's easier for non-cleric/paladin, obviously, and I'm guessing that's okay.

For divine (and divine-like) classes, can you substitute in an appropriate Faerun deity for the one from the other continent/whatever?


Kara-Turan, Maztican and Zakharan deities don't have ability to grant powers on Faerun, generally. If you have a reason for why a character of yours is an exception, you can make a request.

Author:  Naivatkal [ Sun, Mar 18 2012, 6:55 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

Gunz wrote:
Naivatkal wrote:
What about worshiping deities not of the Faerun pantheons?

It's easier for non-cleric/paladin, obviously, and I'm guessing that's okay.

For divine (and divine-like) classes, can you substitute in an appropriate Faerun deity for the one from the other continent/whatever?


Kara-Turan, Maztican and Zakharan deities don't have ability to grant powers on Faerun, generally. If you have a reason for why a character of yours is an exception, you can make a request.


That's pretty much what I was thinking.

Author:  Dark Immolation [ Sun, Mar 18 2012, 17:14 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

I thought that was only for Ubtao, because of his deal to watch for Dendar the Night Serpent until the end of days. It just seems strange that that every other deity is barred from casting spells on a certain continent, but they can grant them just fine in other planes, even the realms of opposing deities.

Author:  TormakSaber [ Sun, Mar 18 2012, 20:15 PM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

Gunz wrote:
Naivatkal wrote:
What about worshiping deities not of the Faerun pantheons?

It's easier for non-cleric/paladin, obviously, and I'm guessing that's okay.

For divine (and divine-like) classes, can you substitute in an appropriate Faerun deity for the one from the other continent/whatever?


Kara-Turan, Maztican and Zakharan deities don't have ability to grant powers on Faerun, generally. If you have a reason for why a character of yours is an exception, you can make a request.


Not true at all, not what we've done at all. It is specifically Ubtao who has this odd agreement of non-encroachment.

Author:  Gunz [ Mon, Mar 19 2012, 1:26 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

Okay, my bad. I must have misinterpreted something that was said by an Amia DM a while back then.

Author:  Selvec Darkon [ Tue, Mar 20 2012, 2:22 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

Please present your passport when crossing divine borders. A caviety search may be enacted at any time.

Author:  TormakSaber [ Tue, Mar 20 2012, 2:23 AM ]
Post subject:  Re: The Other Continents

Don't post here if you're not going to meaningfully contribute. That means you too, Selvec.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/