| AMIA ARCHIVE https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/ |
|
| Romans https://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=64254 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Lord-Hadeis [ Sun, Feb 26 2012, 0:38 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Romans |
Is there any culture in faerun that is a rip off of the Roman one? Either looks or looks and culture? Seems there's a bunch of people going centurion. Yes I'm one of them that has got a character with that look, but I'm just playing him as a hired sword and tempus follower, who just prefers the freedom of movement and relative lightweight of that style of armour and is man enough to wear a skirt. |
|
| Author: | TormakSaber [ Sun, Feb 26 2012, 0:50 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Romans |
Chessenta, IIRC, is basically GreeceRome. |
|
| Author: | Gunz [ Sun, Feb 26 2012, 0:55 AM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Romans |
It's more Greek inspired, but yeah. |
|
| Author: | IronAngel [ Sun, Feb 26 2012, 12:59 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Romans |
Yeah. There was talk of this a few months back in the old topic, and the conclusion was there's no state or culture very close to Rome in Faerûn. There were some with similar historical signifigance/cultural icon status (Netheril, imo) and somebody thought Thay had some similarities, but no ripoffs like Chessenta, Unther, Moonshae etc. Purely visually and culturally (meaning poetry, rhetoric etc.) some Athens-inspired Chessentan city state might do, but they are definetely more Classical Greek. |
|
| Author: | Lord-Hadeis [ Sun, Feb 26 2012, 13:08 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Romans |
Well the main reason I asked to start with is because the Roman style armours are starting to get popular on the server. And I was wondering if there was any lore in faerun to back it up when we suddenly start to get players acting out ancient rome and start marching about like the legions. And probably a very corny hollywood legion to boost. |
|
| Author: | Pony [ Sun, Feb 26 2012, 13:10 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Romans |
It is simply the latest amian fashion. The vain and posh members of the adventuring community of the region dress in this newest style. Helmets with great plumes of feathers, befitting the iron clad peacocks of the land. |
|
| Author: | Lord-Hadeis [ Sun, Feb 26 2012, 13:19 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Romans |
Yes can't do anything about the fashion (insert edgy comment here). Just like to know where I stand if I suddenly have Juliaz Cezar (I know it's spelled wrong) go talk to me about his homeland or culture or whatever. |
|
| Author: | Pony [ Sun, Feb 26 2012, 13:22 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Romans |
Because he is an escapee from the Saladran Temple's mental ward. If someone talks about Rome in game, it is simple, there is no rome and hence he is delusional. |
|
| Author: | Lord-Hadeis [ Sun, Feb 26 2012, 15:43 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Romans |
Oh good point! Now I'm hoping it will happen... Then again I consider over half the characters severely mentally defective or delusional. |
|
| Author: | Gers [ Sun, Feb 26 2012, 18:38 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Romans |
The Hero Complex is very common amongst adventurers, I hear >> And yes. Any reference to actual, RL places/times by a PC should be treated as some sort of mental delusion. Unless the person has a DM-approved background actually saying "yeah, Marius Dracus was magically translated to Faerun from ancient Rome on Earth", there should be no links to any RL culture save those present as thematic elements in FR cultures. |
|
| Author: | NinjaClarinet [ Sun, Feb 26 2012, 18:52 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Romans |
Kinda like referring to a spell as "having no save" completely IC. I just kinda walked away >_> |
|
| Author: | Chai [ Mon, Feb 27 2012, 18:57 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Romans |
I see alot of parallels with Roman culture in the city of Arrabar as well. Wealthy houses having their own private armies, back and forth hostilities with druids and other folk from "less civilized" lands, Strict millitary discipline complete with rank and file marching armored troops, etc. |
|
| Author: | Lord-Hadeis [ Mon, Feb 27 2012, 23:02 PM ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Romans |
That's a very shallow look on it... Lets just call this Roman issue answered and lock it. I've learned quite enough. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|