View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Murex
 
PostPosted: Mon, Dec 29 2014, 2:30 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 01 Dec 2009

Glim wrote:
End of January :)


I've been waiting for this. :o

_________________
Image


 
      
666WaysToHell
 
PostPosted: Mon, Dec 29 2014, 2:52 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Location: Western Australia

Pony wrote:
He has eight dexterity and eight constitution


Well no wonder his wives left him. 8)

_________________
Aoth Nathandem - Wizard of house Tholaunt and chosen of Ma'at.


 
      
Pony
 
PostPosted: Mon, Dec 29 2014, 3:01 AM 



Player

Joined: 07 May 2005

:o !!!

Just for that, Rob will use his awesome charisma to woo Jacia's lover and then leave him used and dissapointed.


 
      
Uberuce
 
PostPosted: Mon, Dec 29 2014, 13:26 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Location: Near the bar.

My policy for dishing out them sweet DCs was to look around for RP, eavesdrop for long enough to judge if people were putting an effort in, but before coining them, I'd open the character sheet and if it didn't tally with the RP, then no shinies for you.

I'd also make a mental note of it for future DC requests, so if I remembered that your wonderfully witty and wise white-skinned warrior was, under the bonnet, a Chultan with 8WIS and 6CHA, then you could whistle for it. (To a large extent, my Dirky WM, Frank Adegunle Ojukwu, was my snarky response to this common mischief. Frank is how you make a white Chultan, y'goobers)

That was it, as far as sanctions went.

I stopped DMing in 2007 or maybe 2008. This ought to demonstrate the not-news-ness of the reminder thread.

Anyway, my rule of thumb for WIS/INT/CHA is that 6-7 is beyond help; 8-9 can be worked around but it won't go away completely; 10-11 can be dragged up by high values of the other two; 12 and above means I can say whatever I want and not worry about it being too canny/comedic/clever.


 
      
Naivatkal
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 30 2014, 19:33 PM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 26 May 2010

Blue Moon wrote:
Ice wrote:

The server is built in a way that encourages players to actually powerbuild.
(Good luck hitting Dominagus with less than 50 of AB).


Not trying to like, single you out or even contradict you :) but why this? I just read it and it makes no sense to me because it sounds untrue. Theres an obvious solution. 1) You're not supposed to be able to solo anyways so 2) Just bring people along with you who CAN hit that obviously like, a fighter. Buff their Ab with your cleric or mage. Thats fundamental to d&d finding the right party. If you fail you go out and roleplay finding someone who can hit the monster. None of that 'requires' powerbuilding, powerbuilding is just the easy way out.

Psst. If you are crafty you can whoop Domi in a party full of under 30 AB characters and one terribly-built mage. Just saying.

Blue Moon wrote:
Quote:
Planning your build is the bane of RP because you are setting a straight path for your character, something that you are not to be dissuaded from unless the extreme happens.


I love you for saying this because it finally put into words a sentiment I have been feeling for all the years Ive played on any server. The characters I plan for never last. I get bored jn my own cage Ive built. My most successful ones, I picked a class and just jumped IG. Otherwise you end up disappointing your own goals.

You get bored because you just made a lifetime (1 to 3 RL years) of personal decisions for your character in a single night of binge planning.

This is false to the point of being laughable. All of my successful characters have had pre-planned builds. Yes, builds can play into RP however they only make up a fraction of the RP. The vast majority of my RP, and success, has been based upon personality and the character itself not their build.

_________________
Whomst've'll'd'mn't I play:
Salema Nefahri :: A penny for your thots
Zrae'a'stra'fryn :: That which nightmares are made of
Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming


 
      
Blue Moon
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 30 2014, 22:19 PM 



Player

Joined: 11 Oct 2012

Naivatkal wrote:

Blue Moon wrote:
Quote:
Planning your build is the bane of RP because you are setting a straight path for your character, something that you are not to be dissuaded from unless the extreme happens.


I love you for saying this because it finally put into words a sentiment I have been feeling for all the years Ive played on any server. The characters I plan for never last. I get bored jn my own cage Ive built. My most successful ones, I picked a class and just jumped IG. Otherwise you end up disappointing your own goals.

You get bored because you just made a lifetime (1 to 3 RL years) of personal decisions for your character in a single night of binge planning.

This is false to the point of being laughable. All of my successful characters have had pre-planned builds. Yes, builds can play into RP however they only make up a fraction of the RP. The vast majority of my RP, and success, has been based upon personality and the character itself not their build.


I dont think an opinion can be false, this just being an opinion as a certain type of player who works this way (when I used the word 'you' I was speaking to Ice and for myself as like minded people not to all roleplayers everywhere)

Second, I dont see where we disagree lol! :) Maybe I should elaborate. Yes I plan builds. I pick one class and have a general idea. But I jump IG get a feel for the character then plan build slowly as they grow. Roleplay-->build not build-->roleplay. Not saying I dont do the plan whole build thing I am always tempted to it just doesnt seem to make a lasting Pc for me. I find some people myself included bore themselves preemptively by obsessing over build minutae before they even create the PC Ig and start roleplaying. And roleplaying IG can end up way different than any background and personality you plan for months. So they go like "Im gonna be a shadowdancer yeahhh" and can get so excited on building levelling and gearing up first, roleplay second, instead of allowing chance to happen on their way to the goal while roleplaying and developing. I just think leaving a little bit of the build to chance and influence from say another PC or a plot is more exciting and free for me not sure why. And easier to do on Amia becausd of rebuilds.

Also I am confused since you said first my sentiment was false, then that all your successful PCs have been pre built. Then you said vast majority of your success came from roleplay not your build. Yes lol that is exactly what I am saying! :) uhhh maybe we are just different after all and that's beautiful too. Not every player plays the same.

_________________
Playing
Jovianne Undon
Devout of The Healer
"[SocksOnFeet] Arabella Amakiir: [Talk] That girl got buns, hon. "

Image


 
      
Naivatkal
 
PostPosted: Wed, Dec 31 2014, 1:24 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 26 May 2010

Just to clear the air it was pointed out that my last post might come off as rude and I want to apologize of it did to anyone. I was at work, a bit rushed, and didn't pay much attention to phrasing. So if I offended anyone, sorry!

---------------------------------------------------------

I get what you are saying, Blue. I was inferring that whether you build first or not doesn't matter because the build doesn't really factor into your RP (that is, the minute details such as which feats and skills you are taking; they have a general impact of course). So, we appear to be at two ends of the same page!

_________________
Whomst've'll'd'mn't I play:
Salema Nefahri :: A penny for your thots
Zrae'a'stra'fryn :: That which nightmares are made of
Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming


 
      
Ice
 
PostPosted: Wed, Dec 31 2014, 7:33 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Location: Usa

I've been meaning to get my claws to answer for a while, but I couldn't find the time.

I'm not saying that a character is firmly unable to change if you plan the build. The build of a character is just a factor, albeit a large one, in the RP; sometimes it reflects the mind of a character consequently, and sometimes it works the other way around.

To say otherwise would be plainly absurd. (A Monk 30 is not a barbarian 30, kiddos)

I have a lot less of tact, but Blue Moon is pretty much nailing my thoughts.



That aside, as a player, curiously, my most fond RP happened around characters willing to change their builds, or those who simply didn't have a set path and were looking for one ICly. That kind of characters that you feel like a true characters looking for a way to improve themselves, and not just a player looking for the strongest and most efficient build behind, and it's so rewarding because everything is seen in an IC perspective, anything is seen through innocent eyes in a world where everybody seems to know everything. It was in that kind of RP that I feel the most immersed when I am playing my character, and it's just my personal opinion that it's one of those things that everybody should give a try one day.

I know I come a little as a hypocrite here, because when I rolled Ais originally I wanted to play a bard/RDD, and he's still that, but if it hadn't been for Zelly, he would have been a RDD 10 and not a RDD 20, and even if that was mostly accidental, to the day he's still inspired and I'm just waiting for somebody to even try to steer him away from that path.


Naivaktal wrote:
Psst. If you are crafty you can whoop Domi in a party full of under 30 AB characters and one terribly-built mage. Just saying.

(Been there. Did that)

_________________
Womans in your town


 
      
Uberuce
 
PostPosted: Wed, Dec 31 2014, 9:49 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Location: Near the bar.

My characters builds are planned down to the last skillpoint, and usually have been made and remade offline half a dozen times before creation on Amia, whereas their RP is a thumbnail sketch that is going to go where it goes. I don't think there's ever been a conflict caused by this.

I'd be inclined to argue that almost all the railroading is over before your character even logs in for the first time. You've set the alignment, race and stats, and that's going to overwhelm just about any profession or set of skills that they pick up later. Admittedly alignment and stats are malleable with DM intervention/rebuilding, but you wouldn't create a Lawful Evil character with 20 DEX and instantly start playing them as genuinely cheery and nice but clumsy and wielding a greataxe, that'd just be weird. I say 'genuinely' to distinguish it from being part of a deep-cover LE ruse to make people like them, which would be fab and groovy RP.

For example, if I tell you someone is a baker, but is thinking about learning some plumbing on the side, that tells you very little about their personality; you can reasonably infer they're not allergic to gluten and not overly disgusted by the thought of cleaning out a blocked toilet, but that's about it. If I tell you that they're a scatterbrained but kindly dude from Malaysia that's built like a tank, you've got a much clearer image in your head, right?

The reason that the build plan never spoils the RP and vice versa is because my thumbnail sketch was informed by the alignment, race and stats, which are of course carefully chosen to minmax the bejeebles out of the build, so, while the classes certainly have a strong effect, unless they're some of the divines like Druid or Blackguard, that sketch doesn't even mention them. You can think of alignment, race and stats as either a guide or a constraint to RP, but thus far they've kept my characters close enough to the plan that the exact class mix, feats and such are invisible.

For many classes, the concept of 'close enough' is nonsensical anyway, Bard being the prime example. As long as you don't shove a stick up your arse(except for bedroom fun) you can wander the RP about all you like.


 
      
Shadowfiend
 
PostPosted: Wed, Dec 31 2014, 11:23 AM 

User avatar

Player

Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Location: The Hall of the Mountain King

Ice wrote:
I've been meaning to get my claws to answer for a while, but I couldn't find the time.

I'm not saying that a character is firmly unable to change if you plan the build. The build of a character is just a factor, albeit a large one, in the RP; sometimes it reflects the mind of a character consequently, and sometimes it works the other way around.

To say otherwise would be plainly absurd. (A Monk 30 is not a barbarian 30, kiddos)

I have a lot less of tact, but Blue Moon is pretty much nailing my thoughts.



That aside, as a player, curiously, my most fond RP happened around characters willing to change their builds, or those who simply didn't have a set path and were looking for one ICly. That kind of characters that you feel like a true characters looking for a way to improve themselves, and not just a player looking for the strongest and most efficient build behind, and it's so rewarding because everything is seen in an IC perspective, anything is seen through innocent eyes in a world where everybody seems to know everything. It was in that kind of RP that I feel the most immersed when I am playing my character, and it's just my personal opinion that it's one of those things that everybody should give a try one day.

I know I come a little as a hypocrite here, because when I rolled Ais originally I wanted to play a bard/RDD, and he's still that, but if it hadn't been for Zelly, he would have been a RDD 10 and not a RDD 20, and even if that was mostly accidental, to the day he's still inspired and I'm just waiting for somebody to even try to steer him away from that path.


Naivaktal wrote:
Psst. If you are crafty you can whoop Domi in a party full of under 30 AB characters and one terribly-built mage. Just saying.

(Been there. Did that)


You should have seen my first couple of builds Ais :P they were so bad, but I didn't make them with a second thought on viability, but I agree with you, I had lots of fun rp'ing them, and through rebuilds I fixed my mistakes.

_________________
I am not weird, I am limited edition


 
      
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group