View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
Serpentine_Daydream

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 24 2018, 3:32 AM 

Player

I suppose this is my introductory first post so, hello. I'm still reading through all of the changes, lore, rules and so forth for the server, but that's not so useful if I'm not actually playing. So my question to the veterans would be, what type of character would be the best fit for someone new to the server? I'm not exactly looking for the most 'powerful' character type. More something that has a very smooth transition period to get used to the biggest gameplay changes, explore areas, immerse in the setting and so on. Although, I gather that there's a pretty heavy emphasis on optimizing mechanics here, so I don't think suggestions along those lines would be amiss anyway since in the past I've never really built for anything higher than mid-OP. I'm guessing I'll see a lot of DEX Rogue/Fighter/Weaponmaster responses, since that's never gone out of style, but I'm interested regardless.

Ancillary to this, what should I be careful of in regards to character backstory? I'm still shaky on what crosses the line between acceptable history and what necessitates a request, and I don't want to rock the boat before I know what I'm doing. I know nobles need to be requested for example, but is that landed only, or anything with a lineage, or only if you receive a benefit from it? The easy answer is to just be a farmboy and not worry about it, but I'd like to stretch a little beyond that if I can, since I have the whole of the Forgotten Realms to work with.

Thanks for the consideration, I'm looking forward to insights from the playerbase.

-SD

Kiasyd

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 24 2018, 5:18 AM 

Player

First off I would like to say, hello and welcome Serpentine! It's great to have you here; we can always use good players. Secondly, if you happen to have a Discord we have an official Discord server for our factions and our unofficial public channels; I especially recommend the second one as you can ask build and lore questions, and meet a lot of the DMs and players who can help you outside of the forums and get a wide range of opinions on what you are seeking.

As for starting playing, after getting the needed HAKs and downloads, it is recommended to read the start here section, as it covers some of the questions you have.

I will leave it to others to assist you for deeper insights as to Character Backstory, though.

Ilharess Tal'afay Tinnerai of Eilistraee
Nithlyvia Shadowflame, Absent-Minded Spellblade

Tarnus

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 24 2018, 10:00 AM 

Player

Any type of nobility requires a request on Amia, same goes for lineage. For a first character I strongly suggest against stretching things, I find its generally better to explore the server with something more rooted.

As for builds, little you can do wrong with a 12 fighter 16 wm 2 rogue, I wouldn't go for a dex wm on Amia as a first character either since its not an easy start if you aren't very well aware of how to do what on the server yet/where to get what gear etc etc, and even with that it can be somewhat of an uphill struggle.

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

robbi320

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 24 2018, 11:20 AM 

Player

Hi!
Kiasyd wrote:
we can always use good players.

We can always use evil players as well. :D (totally no bias here, I have no idea what you guys are talking about...)
More seriously, I'd probably really recommend something inoffensive to start. Try the waters around here. See if you like the style of RP, and most of all, get to know the server a bit. And with all the changes to classes, it's hard to recommend something for people who don't know most of them. That said, if you have build questions, there's a few players that can and will help you with those questions.
As was suggested on the Discord, hard to go wrong with a Wizard, since the summons combined with buff for the party and a few offensive spells go really far. Otherwise, melee will struggle a bit more solo, mostly because you can't just be invisible, and if your summon dies, you either summon another, or run away. That said, the way I personally learned building and leveling on the server is just passively soaking up info. There's the whole fishing subforum, there's the section on the discord, and as said, after a while you'll know who the buildmonkeys are that you can send a PM to.

As for nobles, yeah, nobles need a request. You can be a lot more than a simple farmer. City-dweller, both raised rich or poor, mage academy, soldier, anything else more creative minds than me could come up with.

Easiest way to learn, in my experience, is to just hop in game. Most people help out newbies both IC and OOC if you have any questions, so just go ahead and be awesome, or something.

Kiasyd

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 24 2018, 18:46 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
Hi!
Kiasyd wrote:
we can always use good players.

We can always use evil players as well. :D (totally no bias here, I have no idea what you guys are talking about...)

Oh I totally think good players play the best evil characters, lol.

Ilharess Tal'afay Tinnerai of Eilistraee
Nithlyvia Shadowflame, Absent-Minded Spellblade

Serpentine_Daydream

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 25 2018, 7:43 AM 

Player

I've received a lot of great information both here and in the Discord, and I'd like to extend my thanks to the playerbase for the warm welcome. I look forward to using and honing my newfound knowledge in the future.

-SD

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]