View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ] 
Revak

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 03 2018, 14:46 PM 

Player

Hey folks. This may be thrown out, but it's always irked me that the only (that I know of) duo bosses of the Pirate and the Fire Giant royalty had only one of it's pairing having a chance of dropping an epic item. Is it worth looking into at this point, given the longer reset times from when they were originally intended for (back when Amia's resets occured every 4 hours instead of 8 ) of adding the Undead Pirate Captain and the Fire Giant Queen into the epic drop table?

maglorine

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 03 2018, 15:06 PM 

Player

They should get yellow loot!

What I mean by that is some appropriate but enhanced percentile roll to drop yellow loot.

Revak

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 03 2018, 15:14 PM 

Player

I thought the yellow loot worked on separate rolls from the usual tiered loot? I mean I don't oppose it, so long as they're epic in their own right.

Guardian

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 03 2018, 15:54 PM 

Player

Yes, please.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

maglorine

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 03 2018, 15:58 PM 

Player

I assume the Devs have full control of loot tables, their number, the % roll, who rolls on what table, and what properties are on the random yellow type loot tables.

Revak

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 03 2018, 16:00 PM 

Player

Oh, I meant that they were in a different roll table last I knew of! :) (E.g. Mythals, Bone Wands and Blank Scrolls all have a hidden roll associated with them separate from the tiered loot).

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 03 2018, 16:24 PM 

Player

If they do as they suggested and start perhaps implementing specific items dropped by certain bosses, then I can totally see the Queen / Pirate dropping items unique to them. This would solve the problem, I guess.

Although I personally would be very glad if they did as The Darkness does and they dropped yellow items from the same loot table. However there should only be one of the two bosses able to drop items from the Epic Loot bin, as I feel these bosses have 2 parters and only when their strenghts are combined do they equal an "epic boss" level of challenge.

Kamina

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 03 2018, 17:24 PM 

Player

I'll see if they could have some random item drop tables added to them.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 03 2018, 17:27 PM 

Player

I could see this being done for the pirate since the Pirate itself is pretty powerful on his own. The Fire Giant king and queen though, even together they make a fairly mediocre epic battle, especially since you are able to very easily lure them away from one another and their summoned Balors only last something like 1-2 minutes, by which time most epic PCs could have killed the King and Queen by then.

Not a bad idea though!

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

robbi320

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 03 2018, 17:49 PM 

Player

Personally, I do FGK in this order: Buff up, run into the chamer, kill the queen as fast as quickly (usually one or two rounds), one-shot the Balor (they do dispel, and I hate dispel) and then I take pretty long for the king. I never felt like the queen is epic in any way. So I feel like she really shouldn't drop anything epic.

The loot, though, I'd kind of like this. Especially since the pirate on it's own is a tough enough mob, IMO. Even with Death Immunity and 40-ish fort, I'm always careful when I fight him...

That said, I feel like giving one epic drops, and the other some other cool drops no normally found easily (like yellow loot) would be way cooler. As long as the items are actually on par with stronger dungeons.. (Not like the boots and gloves dropped by fire giants that are worth like... 600 gold?)

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 04 2018, 11:09 AM 

Player

Honestly... We really don't need double duty on epic bosses in the same room.

I'd rather have ALL bosses do something similar to what Fire Giant King does. I would want them to drop epic items as they do now, but also have a 100% drop of 1 out of perhaps a handful of boss-themed items that are a step below epic items that are created to gear certain setups.

A fantastic full plate +4. A fantastic +4 longbow. Etc. Something a step much better than bought, but worse than "Random Epic Boss Loot."

A "Fire Giant Royalty" set, comprised of items for warriors and priests.
Ghost Pirate could have lighter armored, finesse-type weapons.
Snowbeast could have a cloak made of his fur, boots of his hide, a club and two-handed weapons made of perma-ice.

You kill a boss, you always get 1 item randomly chosen out of a set list.
Code the gnome to buy them for cash or trade them for a greater mythal or something else of value.

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

Guardian

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 04 2018, 12:26 PM 

Player

If we are going to do that, don't put fixed theme items on them. Make them drop random yellow stuff like Darkness does, but any item (not only jewelry, but also weapons and armour and misc.).

Fix is boring. Random is fun.

=========
Obsidian (inactive)

Revak

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 04 2018, 13:10 PM 

Player

I do like the idea of the yellow loot for the Queen or potentially a guaranteed yellow drop so people don't walk away empty handed, but I do think that the pirate himself as others have said is a tough enough mob on his own, given his pulse attack, immunities and the potential Dev Crit and should be a candidate for an additional epic drop.

Alternatively, as Might said, you could always have a unique set of equipment associated with the bosses on a separate loot roll. Pirate could have some items associated with him (e.g. "Pirate Captain's Jacket (+5 AC, 50% Cold Immunity, 50% Electric Vuln for instance)", "Swashbuckler's Boots", "Scimitar of the Waves"), Snowbeast could have Perma-Ice weaponry, or the ability to drop something similiar to the Magical Ore.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 05 2018, 2:41 AM 

Player

Pirate's the easiest boss in the server to get to, and coding only the chest to drop loot was a deliberate design decision. Originally it was supposed to be random so people couldn't kill one and then leave, but this turned out to be not doable.

waswar

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 05 2018, 2:54 AM 

Player

Yeah, they both have their pros and cons. Pirate's easy as hell to get to, but the fight can be a bit grueling depending on the build. The Fire Giants are comparatively, easy as hell to fight, but the path to them is quite a bit longer.

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 17 2018, 18:31 PM 

Player

It would be kinda cool if the follower could get a 1% yellow drop

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Kamina

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 19 2018, 10:16 AM 

Player

We've got a solution to this, though you'll have to wait a bit for its implementation.

when met"

Revak

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 19 2018, 13:20 PM 

Player

Magiros

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 19 2018, 17:46 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Pirate's the easiest boss in the server to get to, and coding only the chest to drop loot was a deliberate design decision. Originally it was supposed to be random so people couldn't kill one and then leave, but this turned out to be not doable.

Hmm.. Could this not be fixed by having the exit as discussion kind of exit. Like, I think, some parts of Beastmen have that you can't click on the rope during battle?

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 23 2018, 16:42 PM 

Player

I recall I once suggested the following for the pirates:

- Have them drop 1 "shard" each
- Have it so you need two shards - one to open the door at the back of the room, and another to open up a chest that would have a set % to drop epic items (and/or yellow items)
- Have the shards be removed from the inventory if you go out of the shipwreck

Something similar can easily be done with the fire giants too (by consuming "shards" as you exit through the portal and net you a chance to get epic then based on some rolled % odd). This would allow the staff to set a higher epic item drop rate if they wanted (like 6-7% instead of 5%, all the while being lower chance than two 5% rolls).

Yossarin

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 23 2018, 18:47 PM 

Player

Take my input with a shaker of salt since I am no longer a player, but I remember running this boss a lot. If one of the crew goes in to edit changes into this area, I have a suggestion for another change that might make things more interesting for players. Hopefully not annoying.

The Fire Giant King has always been the badass, and the Fire Giant Queen the normal spawn you swat off like a gnat. People know to either gank her first because she's easy to take down, or to ignore her because she isn't a threat depending upon your build(s).

What if you designed a boss-scaled Fire Giant Queen enemy and then randomized the encounter to spawn either an epic FGK and a normal FGQ, or an epic FGQ and a normal FGK? The models are indistinguishable so it might not be clear which of the dynamic duo is the deadlier until after they start unloading on you. It could be fun?

I'll let the lore people determine whether they want to preserve a male-dominated fire giant royalty, or open the doors for a more progressive look at fire giant royalty that can have a dominant queen at times. Just read this thread and thought I would offer it as a suggestion if someone goes in to make changes to this encounter anyway.

Kamina

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 23 2018, 19:45 PM 

Player

Kamina wrote:
We've got a solution to this, though you'll have to wait a bit for its implementation.

when met"

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 11 2019, 19:27 PM 

Player

Kamina wrote:
I'll see if they could have some random item drop tables added to them.We've got a solution to this, though you'll have to wait a bit for its implementation.

I know you all got your hands full, but is this way on the back burner still?

Jes

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 11 2019, 21:58 PM 

DM

Kamina wrote:
Kamina wrote:

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Revak

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:58 AM 

Player

I know it's an old topic, but had a thought recently about the pirate. What if the bottle of spirits he dropped was instead something worthwhile? A custom drink that grants something like battletide or an improved version of Bulls Strength/Rhino's Stamina? At least it's something that would be beneficial.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 18 2019, 0:42 AM 

Player

In theory I wouldn't mind making it something better, alas only under the condition that not the loot, but the pirate drops it. The loot already drops enough "useful" stuff you can at least get some gold from, and a lot of people leave the pirate and just kill the loot. So I'd rather give a small reward for people killing both than rewarding people only killing the loot even further on top of the gems they always get, the heal pot they often get and the usual epic loot chance.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]