View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ] 
Liz

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 03 2013, 8:15 AM 

Player

Amia Timeline wrote:
1370 DR: After years of persistent and stubborn existance as an outpost securing the central tradeway through southern Amia, Fort Bendir is finally expanded into a real village. Thanks to its fortunate location and the hard work of its citizens, the halfling town soon grows prosperous. Randy ”the Blue Hin” becomes the first mayor of Bendir Dale.

This is the first, last, and only mention of Bendir Dale on the Amia timeline.

But, as a player of a lifelong Daler, I'm curious to know a bit more, if possible. If Fort Bendir became Bendir Dale twelve years ago, how long before that had Fort Bendir been around? Whatever happened to Randy "the Blue Hin," and what made him so blue? And... just who is or was "Bendir," anyways?

IronAngel

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 03 2013, 16:38 PM 

Player

Randy was a PC. I don't know why he was blue, but he literally was. And had a tail. 8) I think the place became a village partly due to PC effort, but I wasn't involved so I might be wrong.

I don't know when Fort Bendir was added into the module. It couldn't have existed for two RL years, unless it was an Arelith relic. There is no official lore on when the fort was established, because we didn't happen to slap an arbitrary estimate on that when we made the timeline. I didn't know about its origins, and Tormak probably didn't think of it if he did know. So I guess the dating is up to the current DMs' best guess. If Sune, Grymia, Tormak or someone else knows the RL date of its addition, you could compare it to other events in the early history of the server and slap it somewhere there.

Lacking any hard dates or facts, I would submit that "years of persistent existance" refers to less than a decade. (I think I wrote it, in which case it doesn't really mean anything more than what it says; I never had a better idea.) Horde Wars began in 1362, so perhaps the fort was built to protect the road and the local hin population from its ravages? That would give it 8 or 7 years to grow into a village. I was unable to date the end of Horde Wars in my research of Cordorean history earlier this year, and there's a lot of discrepancies there (sometimes assumed that they lasted decades), but it's possible that they were almost over or waning by 1370 and that's why the Fort could transform into a peaceful settlement.

The things that you'll have to account for in dating are at least the following:

1362:
Quote:
The Horde Wars begin. Large bands of monsters attack settlements and travellers all around Amia. Cordor takes a leading role in defending human civilization.

1367:
Quote:
Drak'law, Layla, and the rest of the Emberblaze family take over Stonehold and rename it as Wyrmhold. The Dark Flight destroys the town of Benwick, which results in the scattering of the local metallic dragons and Imperator retreating to Kohlingen. Over the following years, the chromatics of the Dark Flight make occasional appearances and cause some disturbances, unchallenged by their goodly kin.

1369:
Quote:
Millenial wards around Winya Ravana fail and the ancient town with its Lifestone reappears atop the Nexus. A group of adventurers fight and defeat the devil who covets the power of the Lifestone. The city secured, most elves on Amia move in to bring it to life again. Settlers also come from Evermeet and Faerûn.

Monsters from the Underdark attack Udos Dro'xun, beneath Cordor. Stingers, beholders, reportedly even dragons, overwhelm the drow defenders. Survivors flee north to establish Ultrinnan, the promised land and the city of Lolth's Victory - ironically enough.

1370:
Quote:
After years of persistent and stubborn existance as an outpost securing the central tradeway through southern Amia, Fort Bendir is finally expanded into a real village. Thanks to its fortunate location and the hard work of its citizens, the halfling town soon grows prosperous. Randy ”the Blue Hin” becomes the first mayor of Bendir Dale.

By checking how the appearance of Fort Bendir relates to these events, you should be able to find a natural date for it. If it actually predates the Horde events, then you pretty much have free rein to slap any date earlier than 1362 on its founding.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Cerpin Taxt

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 03 2013, 19:51 PM 

Player

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=bendir+dale&start=4250

P Three

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 05 2013, 10:03 AM 

DM

Fort Bendir/Bendir Dale is indeed an Arelithian relic, and still exists on Arelith to this day.

Thus, go back at -least- to the Great Server Schism.

Yee-haw!

Aly'dra Zau'ana: Priestessish Of Eilistraee
Danika Nefzen: Druid of the Earthmother
Delia Am'Anodel: Paladin of Torm

maglorine

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 05 2013, 23:11 PM 

Player

I tried to recall all the Mayors I could think of whether known or rumored. Let me know who I missed because I'm certain I do not recall them all.

Randy
Boppi
Budly Bundly
General Nof Barshedge
Johanna Hardingdale
Lyle Torrowfire
Laurel Beestinger
Missus A'whiggans

PaladinOfSune

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 11 2013, 21:26 PM 

Player

Fort Bendir was around pre-Amia, and existed the 1+ year I played on Arelith before Amia existed. It's as old as you can get.

P Three

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 11 2013, 21:58 PM 

DM

I just said that!

Yee-haw!

Lord-Hadeis

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 11 2013, 22:40 PM 

Player

Let's post something new! *grins*
Seriously. I'd love to know how many people are living in Bendir Dale now. Mainly the npc number.

maglorine

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 11 2013, 22:46 PM 

Player

The answer to that is located in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=64432

PaladinOfSune

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 11 2013, 22:48 PM 

Player

P Three wrote:
I just said that!

You said it at least went back to the server split. I clarified and said it went back even further. :P

Lord-Hadeis

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 12 2013, 8:13 AM 

Player

Thanks wasn't aware of that topic. Very useful

IronAngel

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 13 2013, 12:10 PM 

Player

We should say, then, that it predates 1358, the Time of Troubles when Zanshibon was tossed into the Abyss. That happened after Fort Bendir real-time, right?

Probably somewhere in the 1350s, making it around 30 years ago.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Grymia

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 13 2013, 19:37 PM 

Player

// Unless the DM team wants to change this, Zanshibon's fall by all rights should've happened post ToT simply because RP that happened around the time suggested that to be the case.

Gers

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 13 2013, 20:39 PM 

Player

I believe that the reason Randy was blue and had a tail was that he had a hefty dose of lower-planar blood in him. Most likely demonic, given his chaotic bent, IIRC.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 13 2013, 21:05 PM 

Player

Grymia wrote:
// Unless the DM team wants to change this, Zanshibon's fall by all rights should've happened post ToT simply because RP that happened around the time suggested that to be the case.

Yes, but the problem is that Arelith/Amia had stuffed a lot of history in their brief RL-existance. During that time even less official FR years had passed, because the novel/game supplement release timetable was one FR year every few RL years. To make sense of the rapid development of settlements and local history things simply had to be stretched further into history than a literal 1:1 reading of the chronology would warrant.

When NWN was released in 2002, the official FR year was 1372. There was only a handful of official years after that before the 4e transition, and unless we take everything at a timescale of 1:1 (which was deemed absurd), there's really no choice but to reinterpret old events even radically - especially given that Amia didn't come to be until 2004 (I think).

I don't have any strong opinion on Zanshibon specifically. We thought it was fitting, but if there's compelling IC evidence to the contrary, perhaps it can be tweaked. My point is simply this: Amia has existed for 9 real-life years. There is no way all that has happened in its history, the rise and fall of kingdoms, the growth of settlements, the shifting of lands, deconstruction and reconstruction, births and deaths, comings of age and changes in government, could have plausibly happened within that time IC. Pushing further back the earliest events of server history does contradict some facts, but the alternative distorts the setting even more. (You were one of the first to post in the original timeline topic when we asked for feedback, and seemed to agree with the general idea. You may have missed that detail, though.)

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 18 2013, 4:49 AM 

Player

I forget when Fort Bendir became Bendir Dale IRL time. I think it was post Amia. I know the Black Flag had a more-than-little hand in it coming to fruition and its early founding due to Randy's links to them.

P Three

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 18 2013, 9:51 AM 

DM

It'd have to have been post Amia. On Arelith it's still "Fort".

Yee-haw!

IronAngel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 18 2013, 13:06 PM 

Player

It was in my time, but I think Winya was before my time, so the in-game dating of 1370 (one year after Winya) seems about right. Must have been sometime in late 2005, early 2006.

EDIT: September 2005.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3940

Tomato Sword

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 22 2013, 9:25 AM 

Player

maglorine wrote:
I tried to recall all the Mayors I could think of whether known or rumored. Let me know who I missed because I'm certain I do not recall them all.

Randy
Boppi
Budly Bundly
General Nof Barshedge
Johanna Hardingdale
Lyle Torrowfire
Laurel Beestinger
Missus A'whiggans

This list is not correct. The correct list is as follows

Randy
    Drem
    Budly
    Nof
    Johanna
    Lyle
    Laurel
    Missus

maglorine

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 24 2013, 23:46 PM 

Player

That list is not correct either.

It turns out both Boppi and Drem were Mayor. Among other old threads, the below thread shows the transition from Boppi to Drem. This all happened long before the current forum structure so most of the hints are buried in old PC Stories and Character Description threads and so forth. I've added Serena for completeness.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10954

The correct list is here:

Randy
Boppi
Drem
Budly Bundly
General Nof Barshedge
Johanna Hardingdale
Lyle Torrowfire
Laurel Beestinger
Missus A'whiggans
Serena Voi

Tomato Sword

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 25 2013, 0:04 AM 

Player

I really can't take your word for it honestly.

The list I gave is the list I was given ICly and that's really the only list I can go off of. If oral tradition in which they were passed down is inaccurate, that's not something that can be addressed OOCly. History makes mistakes all the time. The list I gave was the list I was given in a DM event by two DMs. If that's wrong, that's just how it is IC.

Considering most people in Bendir Dale didn't at all keep good detailed records, it's not surprising someone went unrecorded.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 25 2013, 1:40 AM 

Player

I doubt an entire mayor tenorship goes unrecorded.

Tomato Sword

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 25 2013, 2:26 AM 

Player

Well, you can doubt it all you want to. That doesn't change the reality of the situation that we have nothing to go off of ICly except for the IC ceremony that Gunz and Bobo did for me in which they gave me that list. If we're talking about actual history and lore of Bendir Dale, I think what happened ICly should take precedence over what we think happened OOCly retrospectively with no evidence to back up the claim that there were records that were kept.

I don't see why that's so hard to believe. History has always operated that way, with important people missing from historical records or simply forgotten. Johanna, Lyle, nor Missus kept any kind of detailed written record accessible to the public. We don't have very detailed record from other Mayors either. In fact, some of the stuff written are completely wrong and not even what happened. But it's written as if something happened in a certain way when it never did. We don't even have exact dates or length of who was in charge for how long. That's how unprecise and unrecorded our records are. Which is probably why Liz made this thread in the first place. Since we really don't know.

The Dale was sold to devils. That itself is ridiculous and hard to believe that hins would do, but it happened. We had so many DM shifts too that the same character doesn't even act the same since they've been randomly played by multiple DMs over the years, even though we the players have gotten accustomed to certain characters talking a certain way and such.

It's just an inconsistent town.

Liz

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 25 2013, 9:17 AM 

Player

I think it's a far better option to just assume that Bobo and Gunz forgot a name, than to retroactively overwrite history. Just because we're not able to confirm very much doesn't mean we should just toss out what little we actually can confirm. It doesn't make any sense to invoke IC vs OOC in this situation, if Boppi's mayorship actually occurred IC. Maybe his tenure was particularly uneventful or short, so he tends to get forgotten?

What if whoever played Boppi comes back to the server tomorrow? Are we going to tell him/her "sorry, we can't confirm you ever existed, so we've written you out, and you never happened"? Nah.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 25 2013, 9:25 AM 

Player

Maybe everyone wanted to forget the reign of the Golden Gnome? It must have been a time of terrible magics and horrible fashion.

But yeah: if it happened, it happened. Chalk it up to someone forgetting IC or OOC. But it's not very plausible to appeal to the inconsistency and incompleteness of historical records, given that it all happened within the span of 10+ years and the majority of the population is the same. They remember.

Tomato Sword

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 25 2013, 10:57 AM 

Player

Well, I can't do anything ICly about something I don't know and I certainly can't speak for Gunz and Bobo. So that's really up to them. If Boppi's player came back, yeah, I would tell it to their face "Oh oops! Let us fix that". It's that simple.

Hins don't operate like humans. Which seems to be a constantly forgotten fact on Amia. Being a mayor of a hin village in Faerun is typically not a big deal. It's a "mayor" in name only. Especially since most hins don't stay in a particular place for a very long time. Ghostwise is kind of an exception to this, where leadership role is slightly more emphasized (but they don't have a written language either), but regardless of the subrace, it's usually a cleric, who tends to be a de facto leader mostly because clerics of any deity in hin society is highly respected.

As for me, I'm done with this thread. I'm sorry I wasn't very helpful. Good luck!

IronAngel

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 25 2013, 11:24 AM 

Player

I don't see what your second paragraph has to do with this topic. Hins don't operate like humans, so suddenly a thousand people forget what happened a few years ago? Seems legit.

You could find out IC by searching the forums, if your PC was so inclined. As my rule of thumb, if something is recorded on the IC forums and not just in a private diary, letter or a PC story happening in private, there are sources and clues in game. That's the basis for any IC research, really. There's not an actual transcript of the first State of the Commonwealth Address anywhere in game, but I sure am taking the liberty to assume there's some record of it in the world since a description of the very public event is posted on the forums. It takes some good judgement and awareness of the political and scholarly realities of the setting, but realistically the events in Amian history would have produced volumes of written records, oral tradition and physical clues even if there isn't an in-game placeable or a forum post explicitly stating so.

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 25 2013, 16:46 PM 

Player

Hin tend to be excellent record keepers. They just don't place the same value on it that other races do. They take family ties seriously and that requires the tracking of genealogy. Many Hin are also merchants and as such often keep receipts and bills of sale.

For a total list of leaders, Cindle would likely have a comprehensive list somewhere. However, I would just as easily believe that a follower of the Scamp took it and folded it into a paper hat for some children or Nof reviewed it while eating a jam doughnut and made a slight mess of it which resulted in a name or two that just can't be made out.

The Golden Gnome

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 04 2015, 20:27 PM 

Player

Hello, beautiful people! I am the player behind Boppi and I can confirm that he indeed was the mayor. I can't remember all the details and whatnot, but I do remember that I had a laugh!

Dakotaen

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 26 2015, 15:39 PM 

Player

The Golden Gnome wrote:
Hello, beautiful people! I am the player behind Boppi and I can confirm that he indeed was the mayor. I can't remember all the details and whatnot, but I do remember that I had a laugh!

Can we all just take a moment to gasp at this rare sighting of the golden gnome himself?

*Gasp!*

Characters: Currently trying my best to stick to Beridoc Brushgale

Liz

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 31 2015, 18:24 PM 

Player

So, a question from my original post that's not really addressed: Who or what is or was Bendir? We've got Fort Bendir growing into Bendir Dale, with the Bendir River flowing into Bendir Bay, and trivial things don't get that much stuff named after them. :)

If nobody knows, we should make something up! Lore invention contest! Or should that be...

LORE HINVENTION.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 31 2015, 23:49 PM 

Player

I think "Bendir" was just the name they gave to the area. It was never a person or a dude or anything, it's just what they called the area. I guess there might have been a person? Who know.s. It was never said. Make it up~

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 02 2015, 1:13 AM 

Player

(Please don't kill me)

Bendir Dale was first founded by Joe Bendir with his wife Wanda Bendir. He named it for his terrible drinking habits, which often led him into fights against evil and general disappointment with the law.

I'm 1296, Bendir Dale was officially recognized by the world at large as a sovereign nation capable of controlling the sword coast and all shipping there in. However this was quickly undone by the Great Horse wars of 1302 (not to be confused with the Hoard Wars of contemporary years) and the response to the loss of their once proud Capital City was the genocide of all amian horses and mounted creatures that were currently in existence. This included such majestic and terrifying species as the Amian Octo-Pony, the Mounted Lycanthrogator, and the Woolly Sean.

Eventually the Dale was able to rebuild, but the descendents that remained were sluggish and lazy, and had the was like traits of their ancestors bred out by their brief horse overlords. Now they are mainly an agricultural society, feeding most of the amian region lovely meals and fresh pies every night.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

Liz

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 02 2015, 1:35 AM 

Player

I think you've got this thread confused with some other thread, Bob. :)

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 25 2015, 3:10 AM 

Player

I've been digging trough the forums, wiki and such for a while now, trying to piece together much of Amia's early history for IC reasons. I haven't found much on Bendir except that it was originally founded as Fort Bendir in the early years, somewhere around the time Cordor was founded up to the founding of Kohlingen in 1122. (Don't even get me started on that change, since it's way earlier than it originally was, and it threw my whole timeline out of whack)

in 1370, Fort Bendir was expanded into the Bendir Dale, with Randy the Blue Hin as it's first mayor. This is historically the year after Benwick is destroyed and 3 years after Stonehold is taken over by the Chromatics and the enslaving of the Mylocks there, making Bendir Dale the youngest settlement on Amia.

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 18 2018, 1:45 AM 

Player

maglorine wrote:
That list is not correct either.

It turns out both Boppi and Drem were Mayor. Among other old threads, the below thread shows the transition from Boppi to Drem. This all happened long before the current forum structure so most of the hints are buried in old PC Stories and Character Description threads and so forth. I've added Serena for completeness.

http://amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10954

The correct list is here:

Randy
Boppi
Drem
Budly Bundly
General Nof Barshedge
Johanna Hardingdale
Lyle Torrowfire
Laurel Beestinger
Missus A'whiggans
Serena Voi

Im raising the dead here. Diging up old graves. But from my recollection, Randy was mayor when Budly got the title. But I might be wrong. The memories are so vague. Can we get a new updated list of the mayors after Serene? Would that be Rosary twice and then Marigold Cobcruncher by now?

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Elyon

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 18 2018, 2:30 AM 

Player

After Serena was

Breazy
General Nof Barshedge
Rosary
Gideon
Rosary
Mari

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 18 2018, 12:02 PM 

Player

Thank you Elyon!

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]