View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
Burningoutbright

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 18 2015, 3:21 AM 

Player

At the Nomad’s Return, an afternoon check-in creates a bit of a minor spectacle. A silver-haired gentleman of refined and distinguished bearing, immediately after negotiating with Griff for a long-term stay in one of his best suites, ushers through the common room a squad of burly porters from the Southtown docks, struggling mightily on all four sides of an enormous oaken chest. The vessel is incredibly ornate: its thick steel bands are polished to a mirror shine and wrought in curlicues suggestive of sunbeams, and intricate iconography of a breaking dawn is engraved into the sturdy wood of its lid. The man fidgets idly with a heavy brass key on a chain around his neck as he watches them hurk the massive container slowly up the steps to his room, henpecking them to be careful, to be more gentle there please, the contents mustn’t be damaged, and oh, couldn’t you lads jostle it just a little bit less?

The scene is observed with resigned amusement by the old man’s much younger traveling companion, a heartbreakingly beautiful woman with perfect bronze skin and the faintest trace of a Calishite accent. She shakes her head with a gentle smile, offering the occasional reassurance to the man that everything will be fine, don’t worry, beloved, the chest is really quite secure. The porters are sent back to the docks with a spring in their step, their humors lightened by either the woman’s charming smile and effusive gratitude, or the lavish tip the man rewards to each of them for bringing through his precious cargo safe and sound. The arrivals’ names are recorded in the Nomad’s guest register in the old man’s blocky handwriting: Luther and Sarah Vigil.

They spend a time in the Nomad’s taproom, relaxing after their long journey, and making pointed inquiries to fellow tavern-goers about the nature of the city: exactly what manner of folk are these Cordorians anyway? Trustworthy? Discreet? Whereabouts, just hypothetically of course, might one go about seeking that sort of people, if one had some work one needed done? Work of the, shall we say, adventurous variety?

Burningoutbright

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 18 2015, 3:28 AM 

Player

Liz wrote:

Posted only at the Temple of the Triad’s Light in Kohlingen and at the Lathandran shrine in Cordor, a brief professionally drafted notice printed on thick, quality parchment:

Luther wrote:
Explorers, Cartographers, and Men-at-Arms Wanted

… to investigate a remote area of Amia isle. Dangers and hostile denizens may abound thereabouts in profusion, so only experienced hands need apply. Diligent efforts and efficacious skills shall be compensated generously. Interested parties may contact Luther Vigil at Mayfield's Inn in Kohlingen on the evening of <??>. Applications in person only, please.

May the Lord of Morning light thy righteous path.

-Luther Vigil

// Luther will be receiving visitors (in person only!) on the evening of this wednesday @ 7:30pm CST and hiring his team of henchpersons from among whoever shows up to apply for the job!

rafaelmacgyver

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 18 2015, 11:28 AM 

Player

Adela stops to read this at Chapel of Lathander, then she rubs her chin in thought then moves on.

Emilly MacMillan (Happy)

Image Image

Sprites by Raua!

Liz

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 19 2015, 1:55 AM 

Player

The Calishite woman may be observed to board a boat to the dwarven hold of Barak Runedar, where she posts a simple notice, and immediately turns around to get back on Guston's ship bound for Cordor.

Burningoutbright

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 23 2015, 0:38 AM 

Player

((This is happening now in Mayfields in Kohlingen!))

Liz

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 26 2015, 18:50 PM 

Player

Do our heroes stick by Luther's mission, or let themselves be swayed by the threat of vast riches and/or lots of violence and pain? We'll find out, when we tune in on:

Wednesday, 29 August, 7:30pm US Central time.

That's the same time as last week, so I'm hoping everyone can show. If not, feel free to recruit some allies IC! :)

LunarBloom

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 26 2015, 19:47 PM 

Player

I should be able to make it in time! ^^

LunarBloom

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 29 2015, 12:52 PM 

Player

Bringing the Topic up just as a reminder! :)

Looking forward to it!

LB

Liz

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 30 2015, 7:00 AM 

Player

// I'm realizing I wrote "August" above, when it's July. This is because I am dumb.

But this time I really mean August! The continuing adventures of Armageddon Peak will take place on:

Wednesday, 5 August, 7:30pm US Central time.

That's the same time as last two weeks, again. Thanks to all my very patient players for tolerating my utter inability to effectively guide NPC AIs.

LunarBloom

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 05 2015, 12:35 PM 

Player

// Can't wait for tonight! I hope everyone can make it :)

VKB

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 05 2015, 20:27 PM 

Player

// I should be able to make it, assuming nothing bad happens to my internets.

LunarBloom

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 06 2015, 0:14 AM 

Player

// In 15 minutes you guys! Erika, Kurchin and Mary have already gathered ^^

Liz

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 06 2015, 1:15 AM 

Player

// Circumstances beyond my control have pushed this until tomorrow. I hope everyone can make it back, and apologies for the hassle.

LunarBloom

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 06 2015, 19:36 PM 

Player

Mary will be there for sure :)

VKB

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 07 2015, 0:28 AM 

Player

// I'm available and waiting!

Liz

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 07 2015, 0:31 AM 

Player

// I believe all difficulties have been ironed out, and we should be beginning shortly, folks!

Liz

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 07 2015, 5:51 AM 

Player

It was a mostly quiet afternoon on Amia isle, until...

BOOOOOOM!!!

A massive tremor shakes the entire isle!

From Cordor to Kohlingen, every bird on the isle startles into the sky in unison, herds spook and scatter, and windows crack and smash. In the central part of the isle, from the Silent Bay through Amia Forest to Bendir Dale, unstable structures collapse and loose objects tumble from shelves.

From everywhere on the isle, a huge plume of fire and ash and debris can be seen exploding from what used to be the highest peak in the Skull Crags: a jagged crater is all that’s left of the place where the lofty peak once scraped the sky.

Moments after the quake, anyone in Actand or Silent Bay are alarmed to see a huge gush of lava burble out of the crater, flowing thickly down the northern face of the mountain, slowly but inexorably closing in on Actand and Benwick Hollow.

Over the next half hour, the quick reaction of the isle’s improbably large population of roving adventurers is able to stave off disaster. Actand and what was left of Cliffside are inundated by lava and utterly destroyed, but at the Shrine of Eilistraee, a huge barrage of ice and cold magics freeze the leading edge of the lava flow into a huge wall of shiny obsidian, with a deep reservoir of lava pooling behind it. Gate spells leading to the Inner Planes drain off enough of the lava to keep it from overtopping the makeshift barrier, and a bardically summoned rainstorm douses the molten rock from above, cooling it so that the obsidian wall holds long enough for the flow from the exploded remnants of the Peak to taper off.

Catastrophe is averted, and though minor injuries abound among the realm’s defenders, no fatalities are reported. The isle’s skyline will never be the same, with what had been the highest point on Amia isle blown to flaming chunks and scattered around the region. The view southward from Actand and the Shrine, which had been of a verdant pine-covered slope leading up to a glistening snowcapped summit, is now a tableau of desolation and ruin. Nothing remains but charred stumps where the oldest rock pines had stood. All else is dead black ash and smoldering noxious fumes emitting from the slowly cooling sheet of molten rock which enveloped it.

Those lingering around the Shrine of Eilistraee after the incident may have witnessed a silver-haired old man, gaping slackjawed at the devastation. His gobsmacked utterances seem to indicate that he feels somehow responsible for the destruction, with amends to be made, but what form that might take remains to be seen.

LunarBloom

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 07 2015, 13:32 PM 

Player

A rather disappointed Mary left the island for quite a bit, preferring to remain within Ruathym.

Liz

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 08 2015, 0:34 AM 

Player

The next time Luther’s hired adventurers gather to meet with him at their customary table in the taproom at Mayfield’s, there is no trace of him, nor of Sarah. Their rented room is vacant once again, and inquiries to the housekeeping staff reveal that the Vigils left this very morning, despite their account still having the room paid for four more days. They departed in some haste, it is said, enlisting a squad of bellhops to convey them and their belongings to Kohlingen’s outbound docks and boarding day’s the earliest ship for the Sword Coast. Each of the five adventurers may, however, find a letter waiting for them with Bill Jordan.

Sarah wrote:
My dear friends,

Luther and I apologize for having to give you our goodbyes by letter, but the events and uncertainties of the past weeks have taken unexpected toll on my husband’s already failing health, and we have had to make haste to return him to the ministrations of his physicians in Waterdeep. Please know that he profoundly regrets not being able to personally thank you and see each of you properly compensated for your most excellent service.

We hope that it does not unduly trouble you to ask that you call upon Father Redweth in Cordor to receive the payments we have left for you in his care. Luther has described that several of you seemed unwilling to accept the compensation which was agreed upon, desiring instead that the money be put to use in the aid of those who were injured or ill-served by the consequences of our lack of foresight. Please know that Luther considers your reward to be well and justly earned, to do with as it pleases you. But if it is your choice to donate these funds to those whom our deeds may have harmed, surely the Lord of Morning will bless you for your compassion and goodwill.

Among our several regrets, perhaps the most deeply felt is the lack of certainty as to the outcome of the mission which was the point of this entire business. It was Luther’s cherished wish to see phoenix fire light ablaze the skies of Amia, bringing a rebirth of hope to those who have suffered such trial and hardship during its season of war. Yet perhaps this was not meant to be. Perhaps, where we had sought to bring hope to others, we must instead solace in hope ourselves; hope that Luther’s prayers did not fall upon cold ears in the heavens, and that somewhere in the heart of the mountain, a newborn daughter of fire and light bides its moments, awaiting its glorious dawn.

With respect and admiration,
Sarah Vigil

// And thus ends my Guest Storyteller plot! Hope everyone who interacted with it enjoyed the experience. To all who participated, thank you for your time and your excellent RP, and for tolerating my utter incompetence with the DM controls. :) (And to the five PCs who are owed their payment, BoB will take care of you.)

VKB

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 08 2015, 1:45 AM 

Player

In the aftermath of the debacle, Erika Heimeroth receives the letter from Bill Jordan, reading it once she returns to her room at the Nomad's Return.

Not more than a few minutes later, a string of muffled curses and a loud crash can be heard from her room, before she storms out of the tavern, despondent and hopeless, departing for parts unknown outside of Cordor. No visit is made to Father Redweth that night, and what remains of the torn letter is carelessly dropped into the canals as she leaves.

The1Kobra

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 08 2015, 14:17 PM 

Developer

When Kurchin returns and reads the letter, he reads it quickly, before stuffing it away and finding a place by the fireplace, reading it. Alone in his thoughts...

He stares into the fireplace, pondering, reviewing the events of the events of the past days in his mind,...

"The world still goes on. We continue to make choices and either live with them, or spend the rest of our lives trying to turn back time. We make mistakes so that one day, we might just get it right."

The voice of a friend in his mind, but with all that has happened, it only lessened the guilt a little. Was it a mistake to fight the psion in the valcano? Should he have consulted the druids? Was it even worth it in the end? What they tried to do didn't even work. No Phoenix, no symbol of hope, and they nearly destroyed the shrine too if not for quickly turning to damage control. But it didn't make things right, the kobold didn't want to go near Actand and see what he contributed to.

This world has a way of twisting the purest of intent into something dark and horrible...

He had to make himself scarce as his mind brought him to the torment of seeing an ooze-like book in the library of his former home....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]