View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Bravo21

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 23 2014, 16:38 PM 

Player

Other than being one of the many things to complain about the UD, DM's or the lack there of never stopped drow from congregating before. On the other hand, without a character acting as a polarizing force, there is little to do for other players, whether it is someone you love to RP with, or someone you have to violently oppose. Something a DM has no control over. We've already had plenty of DM's throw up their hands at being blamed for things in the UD, player activity is exclusively a player issue.

-Krrja

serbiris

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 23 2014, 16:47 PM 

Player

I'm certainly not blaming anyone, merely making an observation; since Nec'perya, activity was always highest when Dusty was around to do things and encourage player participation. There are simply more constructive things to do in the situation with a DM around, building and strengthening the city and all, whereas in Edonil there was plenty of intrigue and infighting to go along with that could draw players but didn't require DMs. A practice which was evidently not sustainable. It's a well-known fact across the server that DM activity encourages player activity. You can have one without the other but the correlation is strong.

@Thanatopsis#6293

RaveN

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 23 2014, 16:51 PM 

Administrative Developer

DM activity is a major factor. Dusty had a lot of RL issues and subsequently not a whole lot was able to get done. And when that process slows down, all of my other ideas and plans for Nec'perya specifically are basically put on the backburner.

However mixed expectations for what people wanted to accomplish or be a part of is also another stepping down point for me.

Putting it out there, that some players took the liberty of doing most of their "roleplay" in skype groups rather than anything else, often complaining about people OOC.. (i.e. Miz'ri) while not contributing almost anything themselves. Very_Svensk has called me out on more than one occasion for being abusive to players both IC and OOC, and presumably continued feeding his opinion through other channels when he was done writing them on the boards. I've been told on numerous occasions that "It doesn't matter what we do IC, Miz'ri will just say no so lets just do it anyways." I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I am not petty like that. The fact that I OOCly upset people with the way I play is a huge turn-off for me wanting to devote more time to it, especially with that kind of reception. Especially given that most of you who know me, know that I barely if ever go OOC, and never to decide anything IC. I'm 26, I have a full time job, I play soccer 3 times a week. I don't have time anymore for high school drama.

People have a different idea of what makes Amia fun for them. For me, I enjoy pushing my character's agenda into improving what was already built in the most lore-applicable way I can think of. It's not always easy, considering permadeath is off the table, and certain players have been known to make jokes at punishment since immortality is a common trend. I enjoy exploring opportunities and easter eggs left by DM's in order to build a story that maybe even the DM hadn't written yet. I like to advance my own faction and try to always make sure people have things to do. I like seeing other people take initiative just as much as I like giving it myself. But most of all, I like being part of a story that makes sense. Some players take roleplaying with varying degrees of severity. I would say that I hold my own roleplay and character consistency to a very high standard. (That's not to say I think I'm even that good at roleplaying, just that I try to set my own bar high)

However, over time, it's extremely tiring for people who actually do get involved, as a faction/city leader when you give and keeping giving, but don't receive. When I logged on for months and felt as if I led every roleplay narrative people have to understand that isn't how I envision a fun time. Then suddenly I feel like a taskmaster, because I'm asking people why they aren't doing anything. My idea of fun is when people either come up with their own ideas, or use mine to build upon and bring me back something I can build upon, so we are effectively working together. Playing my character felt like a job the whole time basically, because I'll be honest; that rarely ever happened, no offense. Frankly, there's no benefit to anyone playing this game to do something in their free time that just stresses them out.

It's why even though I might play sparingly now (still dipping my feet in the water), I still almost find it easier to play Audrey. Though even that has it's own issues, thanks to extreme reoccurring cases of current and past DM mismanagement.

I think months ago I would've been politically correct and never had the courage to have made a post like this, but that's because I played with my eyes closed and was invested into the idea that it was all going somewhere. Now I'm just being objective, and analyzing that giant usage of my time from a reasonable, non-addict behavior standpoint. I don't have a chip on my shoulder, and the memories were certainly not all bad, but if you are seriously wondering what happened, try to see things from another perspective. Simply put, I don't like to watch network television, with shaky story lines with plot arcs that make absolutely no sense (i.e. enemies being allied for no reason) and equally when I see it being done on Amia, it's no better.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, and this post is certainly not directed in anger at anyone individually. I love most of you, but until the DM's change, and the playerbase change, I think personally my time is better spent doing things that don't make me depressed.

Genar_Detkasa

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 23 2014, 22:13 PM 

Player

UD has its highs and lows like Bravo said, its inevitable. Drow RP is almost entirely segregated from the the rest of server RP. In this case however, I believe it was not because of deliberate player exclusion, feel free to shoot me a PM if anyone wants to contest that point to keep the topic clean.
Its also important to remember that the Developers had a huge backlog which limited how much we can do city development-wise with Dusty which was unfortunate.

Orienting ourselves too much around city-building and less social city-stuff of what it "means" to be drow probably also had an adverse affect on the longevity of this RP. I mean, you can get city-building RP from quite a few places around the server.
We never got a festival going though we had plans, I at least ran out of steam when it came to the drow Academic aspect, I don't recall seeing much in the way of public sacrifices to instill fervor in the masses and yes, we did procrastinate a bit much on the "raiding" side of things.

I'll single out Miz'ri & perhaps even Riz'rae for great RP, because the characters generated a lot of distinctive drow RP that I saw affect the rest of Nec'perya playerbase which is the sort of thing I like to see happen more often.

NWN Account Name: KnightProtector

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 25 2014, 17:09 PM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

Thanks for sharing your insight Mimsie. I think you said it well. And Bravo is absolutely correct.

I have had a fabulous time with Rith'tar. It's my own damn fault he got in as much trouble as he did. Well, his fault too really. While I was thinking and doing one thing - to other PC's his actions often times looked suspicious and rightly so.

I didn't want to add Black Guard without a serious down side. I didn't want to have a lone jaluk without the consequences of Rith suddenly finding himself free to make his own decisions.

Miz'ri/ Mimiron were simply spectacular to RP with. I did feel badly that Rith caused Miz'ri to kick his ass to the curb. It wasn't my intent to have him in that much trouble in truth. Iim/Anatida likewise was amazing. As a matter of fact, every single drow PC/ Player just underscored the excellent RP to be had as a Lolthite drow. I am honored to have been included on the dark side drow RP.

I didn't build a female for the very reasons that Mimsie mentioned. It is a lot of hard work to lead a faction, add to that the expectation for the female drow to give orders without questioning... How does a Priestess of Lolth delegate her power without looking weak? Not to mention, how does a Priestess of Lolth handle not being able to really trust anyone (since they all want to see you fall flat on your face or better get assassinated) and at the same time get things done?

Frankly, I think Miz'ri did an excellent job. The RP for the ritual (rebuild) was creative and fun.

Sure a DM is a part of how to keep things going but ultimately Lolthite Drow RP needs a lynch pin. That is usually the highest ranking female.

I'm not worried though. This is just the deep breath before all hell breaks loose, I'm pretty sure.

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

RaveN

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 25 2014, 19:23 PM 

Administrative Developer

It doesn't need a high ranking female. It needs players who want to write a story, not just be part of one. Then again, I can say that about most if not (all) of Amia. To me, that's what makes Amia worth playing (and subsequently why I currently don't play much if at all). You can't just rely on one person to do it, they will burn out. Male or female aside anyone has a chance to be hugely influential in Nec'perya and do almost whatever they want. Not doing so is actually exacerbating the problem that made me quit in the first place.

Very_Svensk

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 26 2014, 4:47 AM 

Player

Hmmm

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 26 2014, 14:49 PM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

Mimiron wrote:
It doesn't need a high ranking female. It needs players who want to write a story, not just be part of one.

Yes, exactly, although usually it's a high ranking female it's not a must. Naltyrr carried the torch for a good measure and did a fine job imo. I think that makes it Ulvirs turn?

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

Very_Svensk

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 26 2014, 15:12 PM 

Player

No man. The underdark consumed me ... I got very little back.

Galenson

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 27 2014, 3:17 AM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

I agree with alot of what Mimiron has said.

Its a common recurring theme in the Underdark group to fall into the traps of isolation and dependence:

Isolation in the essence that many Drow may either consciously or unconsciously isolate themselves from the rest of the server to focus upon "Drow stuff," and

Dependence in the form that many Drow characters are consciously or subconsciously depending upon the progression of a city, an individual or both in order for your characters to progress. To put this simply, in my opinion most Drow characters are sheep who are dependent upon a shepherd to guide them.

By the sounds of things, many have fallen into these traps. Those characters whose character development is dependent upon Necperya's development (Ulviir'aufein) are feeling the brunt of Dusty's RL business. Those characters who have also isolated themselves to Nec'perya's affairs (Naltyrr, Isendut't'ar and to a lesser extent Miz'ri) are also feeling the brunt of Dusty's absence because Nec'perya's isolated affairs are dependent upon its development.

Can you blame Dusty? Ofcourse not. The guy's got a girlfriend, a life and his computer crashed recently. We need to delve deeper into other causes which there is one of significant prevalence:

Unlike many surface characters, most Underdark characters are developed for a single purpose: that single purpose defines who they are and they become dependent upon that single purpose to exist. Typically, a good example is when a male character is created to "serve a Matron." To those that remember Veh'drah and house Qos'Yutsu, they are also a perfect example of this method.

Although this method is great for getting a character off their feet and progressing towards a goal, it is an all in or bust approach. There is no flexibility or adaptability should something go wrong and its common for characters who go bust to disappear entirely. This is often very tragic when that character who went bust is a Matron because generally their entire house goes with them.

In direct contrast, those characters who have the flexibility to adapt should something go awry are generally the more successful ones long term. Most surface "all stars" are flexible characters and do well for themselves despite what's thrown at them. Naltyrr and his shady counterpart are fantastic examples of this: both think outside the box, have multiple agendas and both willingly delve into server-wide matters which is what the Underdark community sorely needs.

In this aspect Mimiron was spot on: ambitious characters who ooze charisma or intrigue that think outside the box and delve into server-wide matters will draw other characters to them. But, those other characters must also have the adaptability and the flexibility to prevent becoming sheep in order to sustain a playerbase.

Just because Nec'perya has come to a temporary halt, doesn't mean you guys have to. Break the bad habits of the past, keep your heads up and keep scheming like a boss! (or bitch... either all.)

"I'll think of something once Amia:EE drops."

Zanthair

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 28 2014, 13:28 PM 

Player

I have just really skimmed this topic, but right off the bat Galenson is right about the isolation issue with drow.

I have agreed with it 100% oocly and have even altered Isen's IC perceptions to be more accommodating. I'm going to go back a ways, but bear with me.

in Ultrinnan, we didn't have a good relationship with the rest of the island by any means, but we had a relationship. People came back and forth, heroes came to our walls, drow snuck into south cordor (before the DM enforced racial ban), we pestered the eilis and the druids of the grove and they tried to subvert us. Things happened, and we had frequent drow parties in the 20's+ (not just on 'drow day' either)

then the server split came, half the drow population left, and we were in L'Obsul with no direction. We were told to sit and make it work, so some of us did. I know Isen personally joined the red hand, a group devoted to mutual protection and growth among the lobsul factions, and even put himself up to the council for consideration of being its warlord or whatever the title was. Sadly, the development went in the other direction, and we got our 'drow only' area which was a pain in the ass to get to. Now, the only interaction we have, despite the non-drow underdark population (very small) was the drow houses, which can get incredibly boring if you are rank and file.

And now we have Nec, in which you have to get to via racially locked boat. Its my belief that we have gone in entirely the wrong direction, especially considering the very real fact that NWN is a dying game. We don't have the luxury of letting someone get bored of playing drow, or getting burnt out, or getting so oocly upset they don't play anymore. Chances are they won't be replaced.

Now how can we fix this? I don't know if its even possible anymore. I look right now, its early yet but there are 22 people on across both servers, with 1 dm. The issues we face run deeper than just our own isolation.

NOW I know I have been quite negative and I want to remedy that by saying I have been on this server since 2006, forum since 2007. In that time I have had THREE long term characters, and I never would have stayed if I wasn't enjoying myself, I never would have stayed if I didn't. I have told everyone, its a game and nobody should be forced to log in out of obligation, let it go if you aren't liking it anymore. And thats why I have taken my hiatus. I have played Isen since I think 2008, and I'm just.. tired? I've seen the same things pop up over and over and over and I just don't have the time or inclination to keep going at it. Maybe I'll change my mind, maybe I'll try to permakill isen for the 4th time to give his character closure, maybe I'll make a surfacer and never look back. At this point who knows.

Now I was rambling a bit so I'll just have a closing statement. We need to end our isolation and be more involved in the server community. I gave my IC suggestions long ago and they were laughed at (not surprising) but serious strides need to be made into ending our isolation or we will continue to hemorrhage dedicated players, which loses us the ones who are testing the water.

Genar_Detkasa

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 17 2014, 9:10 AM 

Player

I won't have reliable Amia access for about a week starting tomorrow.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 17 2014, 23:46 PM 

Player

No.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Galenson

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 18 2014, 10:49 AM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

Time is a precious resource for one on the move, but I've been enticed to assist with someone's nefarious plans for a few weeks.

If you see me floating about here and there, feel free to say hi. I don't forget people easily and will say G'day back.

"I'll think of something once Amia:EE drops."

Genar_Detkasa

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 26 2014, 13:05 PM 

Player

And I'm back!

Pony

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 26 2014, 13:12 PM 

Player

Woots!

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 07 2014, 18:41 PM 

Player

Can I get a role call of the player and character names of all the new drow in Nec'perya please? I had it from the other week ... and the file is gone D:

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 08 2014, 18:30 PM 

Player

A bit of a reminder to everyone that my availability times are always limited due to work and my family. I live in the EST zone (GMT-5) and I am free to do online related activities from 8p-11p. That's it. I have a life after all. Friday and Saturday nights are flexible, I tend to be up until midnight or later.

If there's a problem with that, well, sorry but my real life and family come before Amia regardless of Zrae's position in the hierarchy. This isn't directed at any one person, but rather towards the myriad OOC bullshit that has been thrown at me over the past, oh, year. Most of the drama as dwindled, but it's the reason I've been scarce. No reason to play if no one wants me to. I'm a big boy though, and have dealt with that in my own way. This is just an FYI and I'm not inviting commentary, just answering the general questions regarding myself and my activity.

That said, I'm working on being around more; but I am always 100% approachable via PM if something is needed -that's always been my stance- I just cannot get online outside those definite times. Drow RP is still high on my list of favorite types and places to RP (quite possibly the highest of all), and I miss all our delightful shenanigans. I, too, have a ton of stuff still planned to further Nec'perya (the biggest thing I care about in regards to the UD, to be honest), and I want to see those partially-crafted plans to completion :) Never forget though, that she is always watching!

Anatida

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 12 2014, 3:07 AM 

Player

Doodle for Council meeting this coming Sunday. The final timeslot only allows one hour until the scheduled Academy lessons. Though nothing really says that both can't happen at the same time.

Anatida

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 12 2014, 5:36 AM 

Player

I had not read Naivatkal's availability post above. I adjusted the Doodle for the Council meeting this coming Sunday. There isn't really a reason we can't meet at the same time as the Academy if it facilitates more people.

Naivatkal & Mimiron, if you would please update your entries.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 12 2014, 13:22 PM 

Player

You can't tell me what to do! You're not my real dad!

Done :D

Genar_Detkasa

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 20 2014, 11:24 AM 

Player

Out for the week, Christmaaasssss!

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 20 2014, 15:49 PM 

Player

No.

Genar_Detkasa

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 20 2014, 19:41 PM 

Player

But oh yeeeessss.

Genar_Detkasa

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 28 2014, 7:15 AM 

Player

And I'm back again!

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 25 2015, 15:47 PM 

Player

Is there any sort of tentative time for the white skum event? I know it's about a month out, but figured it doesn't hurt to ask. I'd love to be able to attend if at all possible :)

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 9:47 AM 

Player

Sorry everyone, but the flu claimed me this weekend.

I am hoping to run it sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. Will a Saturday or Sunday work best for everyone?

Anatida

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 12:16 PM 

Player

Sunday is usually better for me.

Mercedes

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 13:42 PM 

Player

Sat and Sun are great. I work mornings and afternoons weekdays.

Drakos_Vek

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 14:11 PM 

Player

Saturdays are really my thing.

American Sundays are kinda my work Mondays.

Derryn de'Drenise - Watcher of Helm - Scolder of witches and wizards

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 02 2015, 17:22 PM 

Player

EST, GMT-5:

Saturday or Sunday is good for me so long as it's about 8p that we kick things off as I will be logging out at 11p. My sleep schedule has been horrendous lately, and I really need to start going to be at about 11p-midnight.

Genar_Detkasa

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 04 2015, 14:09 PM 

Player

I'm good Saturday.

Depends on what time Sunday since I have stuff going on those days.

Arekkusu

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 04 2015, 14:17 PM 

Player

Saturday or sunday is fine for me, but I would like to see the Arch Priestess there! If we settle on something, might we get a new countdown link as Letum did? This site has it!

Ronyo
Meredo Ashenmert
Chesswae Lolarox Image

joe15552

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 18 2015, 13:02 PM 

Player

Hi, guys. I'm pretty much back and prolly gonna be rollin around with vuzzy, like a fuzzy little ball of lolthy fun. My play time is pretty limited, but I am going to be on pretty reliably every day from 5:00am - 7:00 am Eastern/New York time. If you want to grab vuzzy and ruffle his hair, then you will probably find him at that time.

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 18 2015, 20:21 PM 

Player

I intend to try to run some stuff tomorrow. :twisted:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14