View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
Strom

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 03 2016, 2:00 AM 

Player

OOC: Anyone who wishes to contribute RP to this on-going arcane project is welcome, though for the moment it is centred around a character experimenting in Tarkuul and occasionally Belenoth. The character's work is left open for public forum and debate by his peers.

The Vitality Nexus Project

A singular, male shape sat hunched over a desk in Castle Tarkuul's Library, thick church candles burnt atop stacks of books. His quill danced over the pages; a stream of consciousness that left his academic scrawl filling the pages in a wake of dark ink. His eyes glancing to a pair of nearby letters with some satisfaction before he continued.

Authors Note:-Too long have conjurers held sway over the restorative spells that in ancient eons were the purview and realm of necromancy, not that their methods aren't of note; surely simply summoning the energy forth is effective. But, there is no subtlety. No flair. No understanding of the forces required to manipulate life and death. Rather than carefully measure the dosage and stir that power from the bond of life and death, they simply do the magical equivalent of summoning a bucket of positive energy and let it douse the subject of their ministrations; hoping the surge of power is enough to close the wounds.

Over time they get better, learning how much is required to knit a surface wound; how much is required to stem the bleeding of internal organs. You could say that in time, they study the very essence of necromancy. They begin to tenderly lift the veil of our noble school of magic - yet few would have the courage to call themselves; Necromancer. Such stigma. Such vitriol. Such misunderstanding.

I profess, this is a new leaf to turn for myself, the old winds of magic no longer blow. If we are still able to dip into their knowledge and rekindle these lost secrets, I cannot tell. Yet this process is why we are scholars of the arcane, of the secrets of the divine. . . To simply know things and ever improve upon that simple, noble goal. To know more.

With that in mind, read on should this interest you.

Continued...I have spent the past few days carefully collecting and scouring the library of this great city, in the hope I would find the ancient tomes that spoke of older times, when Mystryl blew her frontier of magic and discovery. When our forebears were so mighty they were as if gods, walking amongst mere mortals. If they had the resolve, the constitution and the courage to take the power before them.

ImageImage

Continued...If I have what is required remains to be seen and I suspect I shall walk many halls of learning, from Cordor to Tarkuul and the cold stone of Belenoth before our work here is done. If you feel as I do, then you too may contribute your theories and notes to this eclectic mix; surely one of us will find the path.

Continued...Though my mind is currently abuzz with ideas, the weight of the task ahead is palpable. I shall propose hereafter a framework. A theoretical test to see if we may use the common practice of this day and age to create an item based upon the principals of necromancy, for the purpose of healing and the containment of vital essences to facilitate future healing.

Quote:
The Vitality Nexus

So much of my personal study is consumed by the mysteries of the Seven Truths, and the study and catalogue of newer forms of undeath; that I have neglected an entire arm of my craft. One, potentially very useful.

Though I have had some success in my ventures so-far, I must accept that I may never achieve the zenith of my work. That this flesh will remain withered and mortal, and precautions must be taken.

With this in mind I have spent the past few months pondering over necromancy's power over life. It's ability to restore and transfer the vitality and essence of one creature to another, or simply rejuvenate wounded tissues.
This side of necromancy is a study perhaps lacking in Tarkuul as the holy scriptures of the Vaunted urge followers to forsake their mortal lives and attain His perfection, the Jergalites frown upon healing those who should pass into death; unless they serve their grander purpose.

Regardless this 'niche' could open the doors to a whole area of study. A set of new disciplines. Or, perhaps a neglected ones, given rejuvenation.

I have been musing upon the creation of an item, forged from a core of black onyx, supported by a frame of alchemical silver to expedite the transference of energy. An arcane, 'crystalline' matrix which I hope with which to experiment. It's theoretical purpose, in summary, shall syphon a portion of the arcanists essence into itself.
This vitality will be stored within' it's matrix, until required. At which point I am theorising a process of amplifying the output. Transforming the stored vitality, into a larger transfer of positive energy with the purpose of healing living flesh. Such an item, could naturally be employed against the undead as a weapon in the same measure – of which I have no doubt my studies could attract some unwanted criticism from zealots inside the Living City. Fortunately I do not possess the arrogance to assume this the only centre of learning that would support my efforts. . . I shall put out an open call across the Isles; The Delta Academy, The Blue Skies, Belenoth, and Tarkuul; I would appreciate a skilled abjurer such as Lord Valo present, given the nature of the experiments, though I strongly suspect his affiliation to Kohlingen will stand in the way of his taking part. A shame, truly. The arcane is no place for politics and judgement. I hold admiration for many of this Isle's practitioners, though amongst them stand those that would not view me with the same gratitude, I'm sure.

Fortunately many have published their works and so I do not require their permission to take guidance from their genius.

Enough lamenting. Onwards, with progress.

The Vitality Nexus - Theoretical Principals:

Physical Description: The Nexus consists of a large chunk of faceted black onyx, weighing 100pounds. It has a central 'waist' in a cylindrical layout ,measuring around twelve inches in width running around the entire diameter of the stone. From this midriff, the rest of the gemstone rises, or falls, to one of two faceted peaks, symmetrical in nature. To observe it from one side it is as if a pair of multi faceted pyramids with their bases pressing against a narrow cylinder. It stands in it's entirety four feet in height. Supported by a framework of alchemical silver and other arcane-reactive alloy such as mythril.

Detail: Each faceted surface must be carefully carven with sigils and ritual text. I have chosen draconic as the medium as Loross is little used outside the Living City. Elven should also possess the necessary subtleties and depth of language, though I am not proficient enough in their arcane terminology and glyphs to attempt using it during this trial. The essence of these sigils and glyphs is to forge within the core of onyx an arcane lattice; a matrix designed to extract, store and contain a large amount of positive energy. I have chosen black onyx for this reason, we will use negative energy to form a containing field, that must be carefully calibrated to cancel out the energy bleed that would come from containing so much positive energy. . . I surmise the Nexus will have a 'safe maximum' level of stored energy, we must carefully measure the stress levels of the item to ensure we calibrate the thresholds. The manner of syphoning life-force shall be a method with which I am comfortable and familiar with, using the same principals as the vampiric touch to draw a pre-designated amount of vitality from a subject with each use.
We must then devise a delivery method for the positive energy that does not risk bombarding the designated target with 'too much' positive energy as this may cause exponential growth of tissues or significant energy burn.

Desired End Result:
A stable and usable Vitality Nexus, which could be created for the purposes of storing one's vitality for emergency healing, or perhaps even the mass healing of battlefield wounds within a localised area. I envision a mobile version that could be deployed in a field camp to store restorative energies.
Perhaps other methods of charging the nexus could be revealed in time, such as drawing the charge from the environment, or from the direct application of positive energy by delivering spells such as 'Cure Wounds', 'Heal' and 'Greater Restoration'.

Rook - Tiefling Witch

Grumdur Bari'Var - Dwarven Raider

Desimir Maric - Spellblade of Savras

Cassius Dain - Scribe of House Gulderhom

Timezone: UK (GMT+0)

Strom

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 04 2016, 12:31 PM 

Player

The necromancer spent many long hours in the Church of Velsharoon, perusing the Holy Texts for any arcane knowledge from the grim god of magic.

ImageImage

Rook - Tiefling Witch

Genar_Detkasa

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 10 2016, 10:37 AM 

Player

A contribution is made to the research logs, though this particular entry is written in draconic.

Such a splendid project, as a lover of the necromantic arts I do see the potential value in this kind of project. Too long have we arcanists been restricted to the side of Entropy, barred from the other half where much magical promise is held. While I do cherish the time honoured traditions of destruction and defilement that necromancy has long lent itself too, it is time for some "growth" as it were.
Assuming your sides have not split open from that ingenious pun, I will now offer my musings on this subject for the benefit of necromancers unfamiliar with Positive Energy and healing but are interested in this project.

My thoughts first go to the nature of the energy we are dealing with, as necromancers we dabble in the cycles of life and death through utilisation of the energies from the Positive and Negative planes; the energies of creation and destruction, growth and entropy.

Therein lays our first problem, firstly that healing is an act of restoration. Of mending what is there. Positive Energy is the energy of creation, of making something that is not already there. In essence, it is not the power of restoration and that is a key difference I think we will first have to overcome to properly harness this power for the purposes of healing magic. I believe you have already referenced the problematic aspects of this difference with the issue of too much tissue growth, indeed should one go to the Positive Plane without the proper protections, it is quite possible you will explode due to excessive tissue growth!

The healing magics practised by the clergy are of course an example that it is still possible to achieve this, but how do they get away with this? Unlike us arcanists, they employ an intermediary force of greater beings, gods. Gods who are able to prepare these spells for their servants in advance, beings that have a much better equipped mind to understand and handle of the cosmic energies that are pervasive in reality itself.

Unfortunately our own "healing" spells are flawed, the life gained by False Life and Vampiric Touch for instance are only temporary effects.

I believe there is merit to meaningful collaboration in this project, it is something with a practical purpose. Do indicate your interest if you are open to working with myself.

Naltyrr Zau’tar
Ul’Faeruk of the Thraan’dariv Sorcere

NWN Account Name: KnightProtector

Strom

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 11 2016, 9:17 AM 

Player

A copy of a letter is left in the project collections.

Ul’Faeruk Zau’tarYour interest is appreciated Ul'Faeruk; certainly I would agree we have a lot of work ahead of us with this experiment.

To the crux of the matter; as I cannot abide wasting time.

This project has the support of the Church of Velsharoon and the Magisterium Mortis, here in Tarkuul. Given your ties to another centre of research, I cannot see this as anything other than an opportunity. As the head of another magical organisation, you may garner some attention with your visits. For the sake of bureaucracy I would suggest contacting Headmaster Hojo should you wish to bring any substantial resources of the Sorcere to bear here.

I have no issue commuting between our cities; so long as your Imperium offers me some assurances the spirit of the project will not stray from what I have laid out here. Likewise you and your magi are welcome in the spirit of Tarkuul.

I would be most interested in exploring dark elven methods for restricting the flow of energies, I understand you may have better access to materials less readily available here on the surface.

Knowledge and Power,

Aarin

Rook - Tiefling Witch

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]