View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
joe15552

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 13 2014, 23:50 PM 

Player

Hi. I want to start a new male drow on amia, but I want him to be in a noble house. I just don't think it's realistic for a male with no magic abilities or social skills to work his way up in drow society as a house-less drow, and I also don't feel like coming up with a backstory that includes some craziness like that. I just want him to be born into a drow noble house, and be one of the normal male warriors, something that should be common in drow society. How do I go about starting that character on amia?

Anatida

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 0:07 AM 

Player

All drow are considered noble on amia unless requested otherwise. Once you make it to local drowville you'll likely be invited into one of their houses. You dont need to worry too much about the backstory. I always flesh mine out as i figure out who the char is.

Welcome!

Zanthair

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 3:17 AM 

Player

right now there is only one active quellar with a matron, sadly. Its Ussen d'Vhid, and our matron is played by Mimiron.

Lolarox is also a noble house, but its currently matronless due to the leader having medical issues which caused their departure from the server.

but also as has been said, all drow PCs are of 'noble birth' if not noble status. Basically, you have the respect that being noble carries with it, but not the security of being in a quellar. This doesn't mean you couldn't have trained in an academy or be educated in the martial arts, ect..

Zanthair

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 3:19 AM 

Player

Another possibility is to get a group of new UD players together and try to form your group and get recognition. We always welcome new blood oocly, if not ICly. You'll find most of us will be incredibly friendly and helpful if contacted via PM (i only say most because i really don't know everyone).

Very_Svensk

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 7:17 AM 

Player

I would STRONGLY recommend playing a female as your first drow character. STRONGLY.

it provides you with so much more leeway to fail in the start.

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 7:26 AM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

Welcome. What Anatida said... what Zanthair said... I'm having a great time playing a male drow warrior. Got whipped and everything :twisted:

Feel free to PM or even send a tell in game if you see Rith'tar d'Ussen d'Vhid (me) in game. I'm happy to help if I can.

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

Genar_Detkasa

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 8:03 AM 

Player

I think playing a male is pretty easy, just need to remember to bow to the girls and not to sass them too much. You'll figure out how much you can get away with as you go.

Otherwise, welcome!

NWN Account Name: KnightProtector

Mercedes

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 8:18 AM 

Player

Very_Svensk wrote:
I would STRONGLY recommend playing a female as your first drow character. STRONGLY.

I'm new to the FR Drow scene, and I'm enjoying watching males get themselves in trouble and giving them plenty of opportunities to do it. I like to imagine both sides of the RP is fun.

Very_Svensk

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 8:22 AM 

Player

Both sides ARE fun and both sides ARE easy - But females have it EASIER :)

Pony

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 11:13 AM 

Player

joe15552 wrote:
I want to start a new male drow on amia, but I want him to be in a noble house. I just don't think it's realistic for a male with no magic abilities or social skills to work his way up in drow society as a house-less drow, and I also don't feel like coming up with a backstory that includes some craziness like that.

On Amia there are two settlements that have lothite influence. L'Obsul, which is not a drow dominated but strongly drow influenced settlement, and Nec'perya, that is a fully drow dominated settlement that has been founded by the drow refugees of the destroyed drow city of Edonil. In L'Obsul there is an NPC drow house that you mabey could make a character of with a special request, while in Nec'perya there are two PC houses that you can join.

For Nec'perya, you do not need to worry so much about a male drow not being able to work his way up if he begins as a houseless outsider of society. Given the youth of the settlement, and the amount of work it still requires to be able to truly call itself an established and functioning city, characters have an abundance of oppertunity to rise if they get involved. Everyone is basically looking for capable recruits to build their foundation for contineous power. The city simply has not yet managed to gain a large enough stable ruling class for outsiders to be at a disadvantage.

My suggestion is just to make a drow and get involved in Nec'perya. The chance he will be swooped up and put to use by one of the houses or the Vanguard (which is somewhat of a mix of the guard force, melee magathere and sorcere) is pretty big. There is a good amount of DM attention and dm plots that will give you oppertunity to shine an rise, as well.

RaveN

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 14:05 PM 

Administrative Developer

I agree with the others except Svensk. Until you're comfortable with drow RP, I would suggest making a male because as a female you will likely have to lead a lot of RP. That, to most, is far more difficult than bowing and staying in the background while you figure things out. :)

Very_Svensk

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 14:17 PM 

Player

It can also be VERY hard to adapt to the grave consequences males face and their role; which isn't something most players can handle. Both MazeOfThorns PC, your PC Mimiron and my PC have gotten to roleplay physical torture and it's not particularly fun.

Face it - Male Pcs get a lot of scorn, beatings and shit which female PCs do not. And some players cannot handle it. (Incident in L'Obsul; You, Me, Filraen. Remember?)

Pony

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 15:29 PM 

Player

I do not think one drow gender is easier to play than the other. It has to do with personal preferences of the type of roleplay. Simplifying and ignoring a lot of nuances, female characters in lothite society generally are more focused on needing to ensure their authority and power remains uncontested and that the system of matriarchy and the faith continues to rule absolute. Male characters have the interresting spin of making sure they find someone of authority to be useful to, and being more low key in their plots to rise in power. Which can be very fun, as they can gain enormous power, but have to be careful about it.

If you do not enjoy your character being treated unfairly ic, it is tough playing in drow world as a whole, as it is anything but fair. Playing fair is a big weakness, and is not something you will be respected for. Drow society is simply pretty cut-throat darwinian, gruesome and hedonistic. You usually have someone above you who will take out their stress, frustration and anger on a subordinate. Hence you grovel to those above you, kick those bellow you, and make sure to get away when someone like a priestess is in a particular foul mood. But a priestess-student can have an incredibly tough time, as well. No one is really spared the cruelty and treachery of the world, it just takes different forms.

But I think that the drow players on amia do a pretty good job at being welcoming to new players in the underdark who do not know the ropes yet, by being understanding ooc and often having their characters act more fairly than it is customary.

Mercedes

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 16:20 PM 

Player

In addition to Pony's note: If you wander in and Drow seem like jerks, it's because they're Drow. I've had a fun time all around, but you have to be okay with folk snapping at you IC or trying to get you in trouble / kill you / all of the above. My recent chick has something going on right now and I don't even remember how it started, but if you realize it's all fun and games and don't take any hurt OOC from the RP, it's a great experience.

That said: Current Drow folk, you don't need to apologize OOC for your character being a butt; the thought is however appreciated. :P

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 14 2014, 16:53 PM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

Very_Svensk wrote:
It can also be VERY hard to adapt to the grave consequences males face and their role; which isn't something most players can handle. Both MazeOfThorns PC, your PC Mimiron and my PC have gotten to roleplay physical torture and it's not particularly fun.

True, the female priestesses hold the whip. However, Rith'tar is an equal opportunity whipping post. He's gotten it from males as well. More than once actually. But this is because I built my character to be a risk taker and have a certain attitude. I wanted a fanatic Selvetarm worshiper that was more than bowing and standing in the background.

Ultimately, I think it's about the player and what you think would be fun. Rith'tar was not my first try in Nec'perya. But his RP development, the players and their PC's and the DM's are so amazing that I find it hard to log in with any other character.

Also, you set the amount and depth of punishment/ torture. It can even be a "*Priestess raises her whip....fade to black until hours later.*" kind of thing if you want.

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]