View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
Very_Svensk

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 11 2013, 15:30 PM 

Player

Hey.

Im sad to say but we have probably reached a breaking point. We are in the need of trimming some of the ranks people hold, and the people holding them.
There's far to many inactive drow and non-drow players with positions of power who could and should pass these ranks on to either new players (If there was any) or secure them for NPC's controlled by a DM.

Opinions?

Analog Kid

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 11 2013, 15:54 PM 

Player

I think a position of leadership should go hand in hand with the "Dissertation on concentration" idea. Those that are in charge, should be so on their 'main' characters, which should be able to be relied on enough to say that said toon is on 'most of the time'. I just think this gives a sense of continuity, and reliability when it comes to people that want/need to interact with said base of power.

Naela 'Widow': Wandering priestess.
Celinor Triellian: Paladin of Corellon.

Very_Svensk

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 11 2013, 16:03 PM 

Player

I kinda want to name people here ... But alas, i shouldn't.

Analog Kid

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 11 2013, 16:19 PM 

Player

Thus my more general statement ;) I think the ideal should apply even beyond the Underdark. It's only fair that if someone has a position that enables them some 'power' or 'authority' in a place, they should take responsibility. Same ideal as having only one character per faction, and not being allowed to run more than one faction. The level of responsibility is much the same. If a player is going to 'be in charge' or have 'final say so' on something, they should be around. Not have the rank and spend all or most of their time on another toon. The proverbial "Have my cake...." and all that.

I even think this topic would be good as a general discussion. It raises a good point, I'm sure, for more than a few other areas.

Naela 'Widow': Wandering priestess.
Celinor Triellian: Paladin of Corellon.

Very_Svensk

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 11 2013, 20:25 PM 

Player

Good argument.
The current leadership is around, but they're to active on other toons which is making our beloved underdark dwindle.

If people reading this feel targeted, maybe you should consider why you feel targetted. Perhaps there's merit to my words?

Genar_Detkasa

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 12 2013, 0:29 AM 

Player

Muspelkvist wrote:
Hey.

Im sad to say but we have probably reached a breaking point. We are in the need of trimming some of the ranks people hold, and the people holding them.
There's far to many inactive drow and non-drow players with positions of power who could and should pass these ranks on to either new players (If there was any) or secure them for NPC's controlled by a DM.

Opinions?

Who gets promoted, who gets dismissed, a matter best left IC.

I'll say that Naltyrr is on the lookout for ambitious drow willing to take charge.

Unfortunately we don't get many new players, at the moment I feel the barrier makes it too difficult for a good few to enter for drow RP. In fact, it would benefit drow to find more to do with other Underdark races and this something sorta getting worked on. Getting a ferry established to allow easier travel to Nec'perya would do a lot towards that end of increasing activity, or at least make a good start towards it.

That, and a lot of things are going on surface-side and there's only so many players.

I'm looking for reasons to involve other UDer PCs into this roleplay, you can already considered me in for trying to revitalise things here and I already have a few things in the works.

NWN Account Name: KnightProtector

Lethaux

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 12 2013, 0:34 AM 

Player

Yes.

Travis

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 12 2013, 2:23 AM 

Player

Come in game and join us in getting things done!

Zanthair

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 12 2013, 14:36 PM 

Player

*I wrote this super long post and the only thing that really matters is the last sentence*

I think one of the main problems is many of us are getting older and games might not mean as much as they used to. I started on this server when I was 18, I am 25 now. Back then, I would rearrange my schedule and move heaven and earth to attend an event. Now? games in general seem to be tertiary. And from party chat I got the impression that I am one of the younger players in the underdark?

I guess I'm not too sure where I'm going with this, but I'm not surprised there is an activity problem, and its sadly not going to get better. There were what, 7 drow on sunday night? That seems to be a rarity to me, and was mostly for a scheduled meeting. Unless something super major like a populated server shuts down, we just aren't gonna have the numbers of underdark past.

That being said, one thing we CAN do is promote the fact that there is a lot going on in the underdark. We haven't been seen server wide for years by my count. How many people who have never played a drow think 'nothing goes on down there?' Probably a lot, some of it by design. Our drow towns have always been secluded and removed sometimes difficult to access, which makes sense thematically but can serve to stifle rp. That said, the underdark as a whole is enormous and super spread out, L'Obsul itself has more main screens than Cordor between the mines and the shaft and tunnel access. But I am getting off topic again.

In the end, the goal should not be forcing players we currently have to make choices with who to play during their play time. The goal should be actively facilitating an underdark where new players want to check it out and are drawn in and want to do more.

Gremin

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 12 2013, 14:51 PM 

Player

The game is afoot!

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 12 2013, 19:55 PM 

Player

To the UD in general,
Power shifting hands is a constant for all parts of the server. Surface and UD alike.

I've personally had two toons hold powerful positions within towns and one gave it up a while ago and the other is still in the process. (ala why I have been on as a player in Cordor at present.)

Having done this once (soon to be twice), the trick is letting go with grace OOCly despite your personal investment in your own toon. ICly, your toon can be bitter or glad or whatever, but OOCly, you always need to consider the big picture/story and think of how to keep things fresh for everyone. As a reminder: I realize you may not all be friends, but respect around the 'gaming table' even if it is online, is always required.

For any leaders present or future, keep in mind that failing to complete some goal is just as much a win as actually getting it done. It promotes character development and your toon can in turn adapt future plans accordingly!

Other than that, the team is working as best it can and priorities are being set for the UD overhaul. You can expect to see some changes around the UD in the months to come. (Especially with L'Obsul and its scaling issues.) Also, look to Galenson for his amazing new plot arc! I have read the notes and it makes me wish I had an applicable character for it! Alas, my Kobold is a surface dweller.

To the Drow specifically:
On a personal note, I am reluctant to take on any key parts of leadership in Nec as NPC. I will do it if the majority of you think it best, but, as I hope my past couple years as the Drow DM have shown, I am more of a celebrant of PC driven actions and plots and player control. Your fate is your own. I just provide bonus adventures and highlight needs/ wants/realities. The UD is dark and dangerous enough to keep most of you working together, even more so when you consider there is an Aboleth, hordes of Skum, and who knows what else lurking a bit close to Nec'perya for one to get a truly -comfortable- and fully secure night's sleep.

Realistically speaking: violent in-fighting, starvation, or mass banishments only weaken the settlement. The trick a few of you have been learning has been where to bend on Dogma for the sake of Survival.

Hint: Lolth is pretty much dark chaos. Her 'dogma' isn't as rigid as it sometimes has been held to ICly. That doesn't mean it isn't without limit or whim (ala tests of Lolth).

Just keep that in mind as you all weave your webs and keep being awesome. :)

-Dust

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]