View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 02 2018, 14:42 PM 

Player

What if pickpocket added some passive effects along with the pickpocket ability?
I had this epiphany where we could turn pickpocket useful by for instance giving you more gold from slaying monsters, or maybe for every 10th pickpocket skillpoint you get +1 percentile to the chance of monsters dropping loot?

robbi320

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 02 2018, 16:09 PM 

Player

If it helps with epic loot, everyone would take it. As it stands, people are annoyed by having to take disc, tumble, etc. I'm not sure that's a good idea. Normal loot, maybe, but I feel like that doesn't really have anything to do with pickpocket. Personally, I just dislike the lore. Either it's ust "you're lucky, and get more loot, because... reasons", or the gold should be on the body either way... I just feel like they kind of seem like OOC systems without lore behind it...

Angelis96

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 02 2018, 18:19 PM 

Player

I love the idea of finding alternate uses for skills that, as the engine stands, aren't particularly useful.

That being said, I do have to agree with Robbi in that the two ideas proposed do not seem to have any IC justification in which for them to exist. Being a Roleplay community foremost that's the most important part about having mechanical changes implemented, an IC justification.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 02 2018, 19:07 PM 

Player

Simple. As your skill in pickpocket increase you grow better at recognizing valuable items and finding hidden pockets and valuables on a person.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 02 2018, 19:46 PM 

Player

To be fair, how much sense does it make that a Sewer Rat has a magical Greatsword on them?

Angelis96

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 02 2018, 19:49 PM 

Player

Shadowfiend wrote:
Simple. As your skill in pickpocket increase you grow better at recognizing valuable items and finding hidden pockets and valuables on a person.

That being said wouldn't those two concepts be better represented by the combined skills of Lore and Search?

Being able to spot hidden things or the ability to recognize the value of an item has little to do with how decent you can be with slight of hand skills such as pickpocketing, wouldn't you agree?

my personal belief is if something like this were to go through I'd be inclined to disagree on the notion of increasing the percentile on epic loot drops. Mostly because of how much they tend to drop for a lot of people as it is, if this were to go into effect it would change a lot on a drastic level. From their value, to potential use, et cetera.

However the concept of using the search skill as a potentiality to find hidden pockets on a dead persons body where they have hidden a tad bit of extra change I do like as a concept.

So you can get a small bit more GP per kill.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 03 2018, 1:59 AM 

Player

Maybe a combination of lore and search would make sense too, but those skills already have other uses. This is a suggestion on how to make the pickpocket skill more useful, and I don't see why other things making equal sense should be a detriment to the suggestion. It feels like you are painting this suggestion in an improportionately problematic picture.

Sure, maybe making it affect the epic loot drop is a bit broken, but this was a suggestion and I did not put much thought into the balance part, but that doesn't make the idea overall invalid.

Also, it makes sense to me that a person who has picked a lot of pockets has experience with finding valuable items.

Angelis96

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 03 2018, 2:09 AM 

Player

Mostly the reason I plant search as an alternative is pickpocketing something with slight of hand out of a purse or a jacket pocket has little relevance if someone were to say hide gold pieces in the sole of their boots, or somewhere you wouldn't actively try to grab for from a passerby, or something of those lines.

That'd ICly most probably be more covered by the use of the search skill if you were for instance to have to 'search' their body after they died.

Also knowing the historical relevance of items and their value has little to do with slight of hand. But the lore skill which covers items and their history mechanically may be better suited for that purpose. after all it is the skill used to identify items.

I was suggesting that as an alternative to the mechanical concept proposed in the initial post as something that'd, in my views, make more sense.

As far as considering balance that's something I am inclined to consider hence why I made the comment, to elaborate on why that may not be a viable idea.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 03 2018, 2:32 AM 

Player

Yes but I still don't think it's such a stretch to go from pickpocketing someone, to covering the ability to better find valuables on a person.

Search already has other uses, giving pick pocket more uses is hardly a detrement to the search skill.

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:42 PM 

Player

I just want to chime in that knowing the worth of an item is also in the domain of appraising (and appraise sucks just as much as lore does mechanic-wise). Search already has a use.

There are plenty of shit skills that need attention though..

- Persuade
- Bluff
- Appraise
- Parry
- Lore (at least it opens up certain prestige classes)
- Pickpocket (though I would honestly just remove it, or keep it as is.. or make it have a use with the job system)

If the already understaffed / overloaded with work team has time to give to skills, personally, I'd focus on ones that have -absolutely- no use first and foremost. I would also just not deal with skills at all and deal with other stuff that will have a greater benefit to the entire server's enjoyment rather than deal with skills that only a small handful of players will take/have taken.. but maybe that's just me.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]