View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
NAUX

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 06 2017, 13:41 PM 

Player

I've done some searching and it appears that the request for a solution to help with trap inventory management was made around November 2015, the several topics on the matter ended with a fix to make traps stackable being the decided solution. It's been some time since this was last discussed, so I thought I might try and get an update as to where this solution currently stood, whats the status on stackable traps?

Links to previous threads for reference:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84206&hilit=stackable+traps
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84176&hilit=stackable+traps

In addition to the Stackable Traps, there is of course the huge overhaul that Glim was working on. I figure that some of his work has made it in to the module via Master Scout and the trap widget, but I was curious on the status of the rest of the proposed changes outlined in the link below. Is this likely to be dead in the water for the foreseeable future?

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=76378&hilit=stackable+traps&start=50

Thanks!

The inspiration behind the character:
- https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Grenadier_(3.5e_Class)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBjewxCxKLA

corypx

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 06 2017, 13:54 PM 

Player

I don't know if the stackable trap thing is being worked on, in truth I think so few people use traps because in PvE as we are the attackers we don't do much in the way to setting up traps.

That being said you might be able to offer another solution to sort of ease your problem, from what I understand in game we can craft up to deadly so maybe the DM would allow you to request a item spawner that spawns them for cost/slight increase and you in turn can just buy deadly ones and place them instead of bogging up your char with 20 bags of traps.

NAUX

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 06 2017, 14:22 PM 

Player

The item spawner is all well and good and is likely an option I will pursue when I have acrued enough DC's to request it (after I have enough to make more important requests), but it doesn't solve the problem of storing and using epic traps, which are plentiful and for obvious reasons, the desired choice to actually inflict worthwhile damage. I've seen first hand how many people have pages and pages full of magic bags that are clogged with traps, its not an isolated problem that I alone have.

It's also not my fault if other players choose to not use traps offensively, and in my opinion that argument needs to stop being used to defend problems/improvements with the trap system. PVP is almost non existent in Amia right now (especially since I am not playing as an evil trapper), so for traps to be used defensively as you say and limited to PVP, basically rules out traps at all, which is such a closed mindset since there pretty much is only PVE content. Traps by nature are aggressive, just because they are used defensively, doesn't not mean that they are not an offensive tactic.

I can offensively use sonic, electric and cold traps (the most damaging types) to put out triple digit damage to multiple mobs at a time. Yes, its not a Weapon Master oozing out critical 200 damage critical hits every second, but still, it contributes to the fight, and does more to help the fight than some casters who stay in invis the whole time (no offensive intended, thats your playstyle, I welcome it and appreciate it but its the closest example I can use).

corypx

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 06 2017, 14:46 PM 

Player

Well the item spawner could be made to do epic traps, I just don't know how the DM would calculate value of them, and my comment was the limited use of trap was more for the notion of I think the spell changes and other things that effect more are higher on the list.

I don't know how complex the coding is as I don't know or have seen the coding for stuff but given we have items such as mythal tubes that in effect are a blank storage device and once used on a mythal code it to accept that select mythal type being, minor, lesser, intermediate...ect maybe the devs could MacGyver something with that code to do that for traps to solve your storage problem?

Kamina

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 06 2017, 15:53 PM 

Player

I don't mind if people who are trained in crafting traps wish to request an item spawner for traps. They're obviously up to us to price them accordingly, but it's nothing something we're against.

All the other options requires scripting.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

Opustus

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 06 2017, 16:06 PM 

Developer

Other suggestions notwithstanding, stackable traps would be a significant quality of life improvement for trappers!

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

corypx

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 06 2017, 16:56 PM 

Player

Kamina wrote:
I don't mind if people who are trained in crafting traps wish to request an item spawner for traps. They're obviously up to us to price them accordingly, but it's nothing something we're against.

All the other options requires scripting.

Yeah I assume DMs could with RP give out free trap spawners as a standard item or maybe a gold price from a NPC?

Big thing is yeah you can calculate deadly traps as you could buy the stuff from NPCs and make unlimited ones of that so item spawns have zero effect for or against like with some effort I could do all that.

The problem would be epic traps as my understanding you have to disarm them from abyss...ect and would in term be more finite, so they would have pick how you do the math and base it off say damage of deadly compared to epic and scale it off that or.... unsure.

Commie

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 06 2017, 17:01 PM 

Player

While you could do it in game by amassing the stuff yourself, I don't know how enthused I would be about stacking 30 acid fog traps on one spot being made super easy.

Right now such epic-trap-shenanigans have a time investment to counter it. With a spawner? Not so much.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

corypx

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 06 2017, 17:06 PM 

Player

Commie wrote:
While you could do it in game by amassing the stuff yourself, I don't know how enthused I would be about stacking 30 acid fog traps on one spot being made super easy.

Right now such epic-trap-shenanigans have a time investment to counter it. With a spawner? Not so much.

If I recall they made changes to traps so they could no longer be stacked on top of each other?

robbi320

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 06 2017, 17:49 PM 

Player

Yup. You can't put multiple traps over each other, the most traps overlapping is 3/4, depending a bit on how you count. And I think it kind of is a good thing. If not, I'm setting like 300 traps in front of every door of any faction base/meetingp point/whatever and setting them to be tripped by Neutrals as well. Good luck spying on me. It's a better defense than permanent vision, since that has its problems. Or combine both...

And, if I want to leave, Amia added the nice thing about picking up all your traps at once.

And then there is the stacking in the inventory. This one I would like, since it would make playing a trapper just more comfortable. You don't have to open all the bags all the time, but you could just set one, and the next, and the next, etc.

NAUX

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 06 2017, 18:07 PM 

Player

In case it was not clear, "stacking" is referring purely to inventory management. It is not possible to place more than 4 traps near each other within a 5 meter range of the desired target area, and even then setting them up in such a way is no quick or easy feat. Stacking traps on one spot via the action queue is no longer possible.

corypx

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 06 2017, 20:03 PM 

Player

NAUX wrote:
In case it was not clear, "stacking" is referring purely to inventory management. It is not possible to place more than 4 traps near each other within a 5 meter range of the desired target area, and even then setting them up in such a way is no quick or easy feat. Stacking traps on one spot via the action queue is no longer possible.

Yeah I think most know that is what you meant by stacking, I think the fear was by solving the problem with a item spawner if you could place multiply traps in a close area you run the risk someone turning a entire map into a giant trap zone ((Because you could buy unlimited trap with a spawner)) but that is not a large problem.

I think given how item spawners work and DMs could do all the approving for cost and creation of it without the need for scripting, I think having the DMs approve a non-DC cost alternative such as the spawner till they can come up with a viable coded working solution might be the most quick quality of life change that can be fast tracked for your character as well as others.

Terallis

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 06 2017, 20:35 PM 

Player

Just as a small mention, I believe something like inventory stacking is easily modified through hak editing. Like the ability to change the number that can be held in a stack, or the ability to stack items that previously were not able to be stacked. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that's the case. All a matter of going through the 2da for the item and modifying some of the lines, really. I can't remember if it requires scripts to go with it, though after checking quickly, I believe it really is just a simple (but SORT OF tedious) 2da edit. However, that would still require an actual hak update.

NAUX

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 27 2017, 15:52 PM 

Player

Besides Kamina's response/suggestion on having a trap spawner item, is there any other official response on this, anything that can be done implement trap inventory stacking, or even perhaps a Trap container (like the mythal tube)? Thanks!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]