View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 28 2016, 5:46 AM 

Player

Fliers in every major city are placed up by either a large human man in heavy armor bearing a flaming ggreatsword, or a middle aged woman with ash colored skin and wavy, lava colored hair. They say as follows:

"To any and all comers, interested in proving their stature,

The Bonfire Society is proud to host a Tournament of Might and Skill, to be held in the Lemur Monastery in the Skull Crags, in their "Meeting Place.", in the coming days. Any and all challengers will be allowed to come battle, including melee combatants, ranged combatants, mages, divine casters, and the like. Wards will be placed in the area to prevent death from occurring, but these wards are not all encompassing: The Bonfire Society does not accept responsibility for injuries caused to spectators by accidental collateral. A skilled cleric will be on hand to treat injuries and inspect combatants before each bout to ensure no cheating is occurring. Warriors are responsible for their own supplies used during the tournament, and reimbursement will not occur. Side bets may be placed and made by spectators, but the Bonfire Society will not be responsible for the collection of gold, paid debts or bets, or anything of the like. The Bonfire Society is prepared to furnish prizes to the winners of events.

Several types of tournament will occur, more or less depending on the number of entrants and audience expectations and excitement:
A grand melee, of all combatants against all combatants, in a free for all combat. Once knocked out, you are out of the remaining fight. Last warrior standing wins the grandest prize of the day, to be detailed below. //There will be no level divisions here unless there are enough characters to do so in order to preserve the feel of a large chaotic brawl.
A double elimination bracket tournament, to be randomly seeded, and segregated by warrior skill. Last warrior remaining in each bracket claims their prize. There must be at least 4 fighters in a division to warrant the creation of the bracket: Otherwise smaller duels may occur for lesser prizes. //1-10, 11-20, and 21-30 are the three brackets. Characters will be randomly seeded, fights are best of one, with double elimination and losers bracket.

Other combat types may include pair or trio bracket tournaments, spellcaster duels, barehanded fights (segregated based on skill in hand to hand combat), and tests of skill, and other tests that may only be revealed on the spot in order to prevent advance preparation. This may be the first of many tournaments to occur, based on spectator and warrior reception of the events, and the overall flow and rules of the events may be subject to change based on situations that occur at the event.

General Combat Rules of the Tournament1: All warriors will be examined by Dorienne for lingering magic or illegal enhancements before the fight begins. Dorienne and Mikhail are the judges and final arbiters of all combats and situations, and their word is final.
2: Warriors as a general rule are allowed to bring their own equipment, unless the specific event dictates differently.
3: Warriors are allowed three pre fight enhancements before the fight commences. The spells will be cast roughly simultaneously so that there are no complaints of purposeful delay to run out magic durations.
4: While spectators are warned of the danger, deliberate harming of spectators will result in immediate disqualification. Spectators who deliberately endanger themselves or interfere with the fight will be ejected.
5: Deliberate stalling of fights into a situation that will result in neither side winning will be judged based on context, with bias given to the aggressor or the more exciting combatant for the audience.

Prizes will be handed out at the venue, and mostly consist of gold, and some magical items and equipment. The winner of the Grand Free-For-All, however, is entitled to a special gift along with the usual prize:

Any questions or concerns can be forwarded to the Lemur Monastery's care, where they will be given to us for the time being to address before the tournament, or on the day of.

Dorienne and Mikhail, of the Bonfire Society."

//This will be happening on Tuesday March 1st, at about 5-6 PM CST. Any questions - feel free to ask. ... Yes, I know the item has a typo - the prize in game will not have the typo. :D

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 28 2016, 10:27 AM 

Player

In Cordor, a tall woman in a plated surcoat of red and gold takes a copy of this notice, tucking it neatly into a pocket and headed off

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Commie

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 28 2016, 17:26 PM 

Player

At Kohlingen, a red kobold stares at the poster in disbelief for a few minutes, then lets forth a burst of obscenities and storms off.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

The1Kobra

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 29 2016, 4:15 AM 

Developer

At Kohlingen, another kobold comes by, looking it over. He pulls out his sketchpad, and seems to make an exact duplicate in his journal (or near exact), before walking away, walking off in his usual, happy go demeanor.

MisterLich

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 29 2016, 20:40 PM 

Player

A certain mystical priest makes a note of this, for certain.

// I'd like to ask that it starts at 6 PM, CST, because I have something in the early/mid afternoon, and that means my timezone will be cutting it close to appear for the Free For All.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 01 2016, 4:54 AM 

Player

((To answer a few questions that were posed to me:

1: I would request that players only bring one PC to the event. This is in order to keep it fair to players who do not have a variety of alts.

2: Any area we use will be set to infinite rest and arena respawn - take this as a hint of possible exotic venues in the future!

3: "Questionable summons and abilities". The Bonfire Society, as they declare ICly, will allow anyone and anything to participate - however, this doesn't stop the paladins from wanting to kill your necromancer AFTER the tournament, though. So if you're a secret demon summoner, you may consider staying secret unless you want to reveal yourself. :D

4: This event is largely proof of concept. For players who aren't interested in PvPing, please understand that it is not the only thing on the table: there is betting, audience RP, chatting with NPCs, and more - there will be events that will not be solely PvP, or events that are "sillier" in PvP fashion and don't rely on optimized builds, such as naked duels with host-given weapons, or the like. Relay races, counterspell duels, tests of wits, and other things may occur in the future. This is simply to gauge interest in the events being a series. So I hope "I don't like PvP" doesn't become a reason to sit out!

5: Re: "Balance concerns", if anything becomes a serious issue, as the bonfire Society declared ICly, there may be changes to rulesets in order to keep a level and exciting playing field. I was asked for an example of "deliberate fight stalling" - drinking heal pots is not deliberate fight stalling. Buffing your AC and using elemental shield potions or Mestil's and then standing still waiting for your opponent to kill themselves without fighting is deliberately stalling , and the PC could expect themselves to be ruled against. These are essentially gladiator fights - exciting is the name of the game!

If there are any other concerns, let me know.))

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 01 2016, 21:08 PM 

Player

((This is in about 2.5 to 3 hours!))

Doro

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 01 2016, 21:23 PM 

Player

Doro buys takeout and picnic baskets from the Nomad and eagerly makes his way north!

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 02 2016, 4:42 AM 

Player

A copy of the magically created bracket for the largest tournment is posted on the noticeboards as a followup to the event.
http://i.imgur.com/5vEbyza.png

Veteran Bracket 1v11st place: Pylith
2nd place: Sullivan
3rd place: Cor'xak
4th place: Illuminatus
5th place tie: Dicey/Gideon
7th place tie: Hallvardr/Diego
9th place tie: Wuldain/Draven/Tirin

Adept Bracket 1v11st place: Ally
2nd place: Kingfisher

Novice Bracket1st place: Shrike

Grand Melee WinnerRyvvik

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]