View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
Burningoutbright

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 07 2013, 20:41 PM 

Player

Not all great adventures start with damsels in distress, or quests for revenge and retribution, or dreams of heroism, or nightmares of villainy, or the search for great power and wealth; for long forgotten artifacts and sunken gold. Sometimes it starts with an unexpected letter.

To Whom It May Concern,

It is with grief and displeasure that I must inform you of the death of Grayson Weits. He was found deceased in his home in the city of Cordor last tenday and is assumed to have died of natural causes at the age of sixty-seven years old and with a written will left in the care of the Church of Kelemvor. Mister Weits asked that his assets be divided amongst the youngest able-bodied members of his family, distant or otherwise, as he had no children of his own and no spouse to bequeath his wordly possessions. A memorial service will be held in the Weits home in the Western Disctrict in Cordor and you are summoned to attend. Please wear appropriate mourning garb.

Sister Gail Hensley, Priestess of Kelemvor and Power of Attorney.

Burningoutbright

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 08 2013, 7:50 AM 

Player

For most, being thrust into the world of adventuring is an overwhelming transition, even if they are not adventurers themselves. Today it was the city of Cordor, for a funeral. Six cousins reunited on the docks--some after working their shifts in the city and others begging their bosses and dependents for time off to meet the summons they had been given, to say goodbye to a man they barely knew. It was a quiet and humble affair, as the people Grayson Weit knew had already passed on from their adventuring injuries or old age. It is known that those who seek out that kind of danger and excitement and adventure tend not to live long; there is nothing to be said about whether the good or evil die young and early--in Cordor and through some reaches of Amia, only the adventurers do, and perhaps with good riddance. Sympathetics sent wreaths and pots of flowers, or homemade candles, or meals, or rosaries made of glass beads from a varieties of faiths as the Church of Kelemvor embalmed the body and dressed it for the open casket funeral.

The awkwardness of trying to fully remember a man they had only childhood recollections, amongst a group of relatives which have become strangers drew the small memorial ceremony short. A reading of the will remained overwhelming; what use would unlikely heroes have for an odd assortment of weapons and armor? For camping supplies? For an old, small rat-infested manor house where a dead man slept just a tenday before? Perhaps nothing, but some people cannot turn down any small allowance from life. Four male cousins slept on old bedrolls and a charity carpet in a bare, creaking living room, and two female cousins shared the sheet-stripped bed their uncle may have passed away in, a large mirror watching them sleep. The doors and windows stay locked tight throughout the night and into the early morning as the memory of the murders that occurred just blocks away from their newly acquired home stay fresh in their mind, as guardsmen patrol and march through the night--the glare of their torches prying at the cracks in the shutters and under the frame of the front door. A tension lingers, a fear, as it becomes painfully clear the murderer in their neighborhood was never found.

In another district, a young man from Neverwinter, another cousin, sleeps on a pullout sofa in the small apartment of an older married couple; acquaintances of Grayson's opening their doors to the hungry man that missed the funeral. Ever yet, the Kelemvorite Priestesses waits, as the power of attorney, for the other cousins to make their way to the City of Water and Coin to perhaps begin again.

GreatPigeon

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 08 2013, 15:07 PM 

Tester

Pinky, quite easily the ostracized member among everyone else who showed up. The others with their fancy clothes and their fancy speech and their fancy being able to read and write looked down on him for being a real man and working with his hands. He felt out of place, detached, but still like he had to look for them so...

Pinky, the largest and most obnoxious spent the night looking out for rats that had attacked them earlier. He, having slept most of the evening in a drunken stupor like every evening. Awakes one of the others when dawn hits and heads back to the docks to work his shift tying ships up, replacing sails and ropes and so forth. He often operates the crane and sweats all through the long day.

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
Just before I fall asleep, I like to pretend it's just a public feat so Pigeon can succeed in politics and save the world from poverty... with his unicorn and shining armour and Excalibur.

Charles1810

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 08 2013, 20:31 PM 

Player

Noah wakes early in the morning to the stumbling and load noise certainly coming from Pinky. Groaning softly as he heads off to work at the Nomad Inn, cleaning up yet another persons mess. Even though he's done this a hundred times from yesterdays ordeal and the numerous spider and rat bites he isn't in the best condition and sluggish.

((Please take note if you PM me and you are ignored resend to me in 1-3days, it is likely due to not realizing I got mail))

msheeler

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 09 2013, 1:31 AM 

Player

Lillian woke up a bit late that morning.. okay maybe even past noon. Such was the life of a teenaged, street smart, girl of Cordor these days. She sat up slowly and blinked, peering around the dust filled hovel (really more of a closet) that she shared with her mother. She frowned and began poking around the two dirty shelves that made up what they considered a 'kitchen'. A chunk of three.. no four week old moldy bread, half a mug of something that smelt really bad and their two dishes with a couple months of grime and a growth of sorts on them.

*sigh*

She slipped a grungy shirt and leggings on over her underthings, grabbed up her knife (ya never know what a girl might run into out there) slipped on a pair of boots with more holes than they needed and headed for the door. It must have been the fact that the paper was cleanest thing in the room that caused it to catch her eye.

"Hmm, what's this?"

She opened up the paper that was folded, the seal had already been broken, and read it.

"Weits? Wasn't that what mom said was her dad's sir name?" she thought to herself.

She read on.

"Assets? Is that like money and stuff? When is this?", she asked of no one in particular. "Crap, that was yesterday! Dam you mom!"

She ran out the door hoping that Tymora might see fit that something, hell anything - a few coins, some silverware or a piece of jewelry she could pawn off or perhaps even a decent pair of boots that actually fit might be left for her.

Revak

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 10 2013, 6:47 AM 

Player

Look, dear.. Just be careful there, alright? Don' wantcha gettin' hurt in that big city. You're always welcome to come home at anytime. Me, your ma and your brother and sister will be waitin'.. I love ya Caroline.

Those words played in the young girl's mind ever since she left her family and home in Wharftown, arriving in the city of Cordor by boat on a cold and snowy evening. She wandered through the packed city streets; often asking various people for directions; until she arrived at a rather underwhelming estate in Cordor's western district. It seems she was a late arrival to a late funeral service which had been conducted days prior, along with two other women. After being offered some food, informed of Grayson Weit's will and intentions for the gathered women (along with being viciuously attacked by rats), she decided to explore the vast city of Cordor for a while, before returning to the estate, wary of what prowled in the shadows of the district.

Revak

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 19 2013, 3:06 AM 

Player

After an exhausting and very eventful day in the city of Cordor, a sore and exhausted Caroline would be seen paying a visit to the Blue Skies Academy for an hour or so along with Lilian, before returning to the Weit estate, taking the blanket from the master bed if it was not being used and collapsing onto her bedroll.

The next morning, Caroline heads to the local food grocer and picks up a large supply of vegetables and fruits, along with anything that does not spoil for a long while. She would also hire a carpenter to repair the broken door and the floorboards with the remaining coin she had.

GreatPigeon

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 19 2013, 11:06 AM 

Tester

The sweating hairy back of Pinky would greet her upon her return to the house. It seems although pig like and obnoxious the man has some talents. Having already replaced the door and the floorboards himself as well as pulling a few rotten boards out he has begun to replace them and attempting to seal off the gaping whole in the center of the house.

"Im a feckin carpenter and crane operator and shit ba' trade damnit. Aint jus' a feeble feckin dockhand. But I just dun' quit tha' stinking feckin job, shit falllin into the ocean, tha' aint the life for Pinky, feck them and their docks and cranes and shit. I be done with it all"
He gives in explanation as to what he is doing and why he isn't working at the docks.

The man's hands are shaking and he is quite irritable. Having thrown up several times in the process of the hot sweaty work and being without alcohol for an entire day. He is grumpy and started to suffer from withdrawal.

Uncle-Opustus wrote:
Just before I fall asleep, I like to pretend it's just a public feat so Pigeon can succeed in politics and save the world from poverty... with his unicorn and shining armour and Excalibur.

NaturallyCaffeinated

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 24 2013, 7:01 AM 

Player

With paranoid caution, Laeli would reluctantly trudge her way back to the Weit estate after visiting the Academy.

Ugh, am I actually going back to this run down shack? It's simply not safe! What I NEED to do, is get back to Kohlingen. At this rate, I'll be lucky - lucky! - if I still have my job. ... but I can't just leave the house in their hands. It has to be worth something, despite its condition. And besides, they're likely to ruin it beyond recognition without me there to clean up after them. Then what will it be worth?

Upon arriving, she would do a double take at the repair work being done. ...Impossible. Was that Pinky.. repairing things? She would shake her head in wonder before heading into the master bedroom.

Seeing the blanket missing from the bed, she would let out a soft curse, but curl up on the bare mattress anyways.

Hah. And here I was, thinking this inheritance would change my position in life, but I'm still a poor nobody. I can't believe it, but, that stupid short sword is starting to sound better everyday.

msheeler

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 04 2013, 1:49 AM 

Player

After leaving the Weit est... shack, Lillian found herself standing in front of The Blue Skies Academy, still trying to convince Corrine they should leave Cordor, but she was having little luck with it tonight. As luck, or rather lack of it, would have it as they were about to leave the academy when the head master, one Andrew Fryer, came to the door and invited them in for a hot meal. Never being one to pass a hot meal up, and the possibility of a bed that might be bug free, Lillian accepted.

As it turned out though Tymora was still being quite fickle that night and Lillian found that there weren't any beds to be had there. So, with a belly full of a hot meal she left and headed out into the streets of Cordor unsure which way to go. There was the Weit estate, a big shake full of poor people, or her mom's shack, a smaller place with fewer poor people...

msheeler

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 03 2013, 0:52 AM 

Player

The weeks have slowly drifted by, with the occational run in with other distant Weit heirs. Lillian stopped to think about what had passed...

The first thought that came to her mind was the last run in with her mother. It was just after she had first visited The Blue Skies Academy. She'd thought she might take her winfall of coins home to her mom and start a new life...

Well, she was starting a new life for sure. On her own and flat broke as ussual. She'd a black eye for a couple days too, a nice parting gift from her mom's latest man.

But there were surely better things to think about, right?

There was the lady she splatted real good with the tomato. She chuckled a bit at the memory. Poor 'ol Mr. Fryer was in the croud and all those people were yelling at him. That lady especially deserved what she got.

Then there were the riots. Lillian had found herself home in the Weit Shanty all by herself when she saw the two men trying to steal there flea infested couch! That durt bag got what he deserved. She'd stuck him right between his top two ribs, and she'd do it again to any fecker who tried steal'n her stuff!

Well, at least her life wasn't turning out to be boring. 'I wonder what Tymora's got in store for me this week' she thought to herself as she skipped down the alley.

DemonKitty

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 14 2013, 1:23 AM 

Player

Rarely seen by her housemates, especially skilled at avoiding the large rough man, but fairly talented at not being seen by any, Maggie quietly observes the others. She lights the stove in the corner to fight the chill and slips out the door, spending each day looking for work or earning a days wage when one can be had.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]