View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ] 
Yossarin

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14 2013, 4:13 AM 

Player

MAXIMILLIAN GRACIOUSLY SURRENDERS MINISTRY OF FINANCE POSITION TO LUCKY ELECTION WINNER!

It is that time again, citizens of the Commonwealth and readers abroad! After very wise counsel offered by Minister Xee, Speaker Joseph Maximillian, gods bless him, has agreed to keep his promise to the people of the state even amidst these trying political times. Four years ago, when we united as one to overthrow the nobility who overburdened us with taxes, who undercut us with low or no wages, who demeaned us and who catered only to the needs of the adventuring class who spat on our faces and, worse, blew our homes up with their unrivaled "hellballs" and eviscerated our proletariots; in that aftermath of our victory, the late Justice Hector Carton was named Minister of Law. Upon his passing, Maximillian graciously accepted the position of Minister of Law in order to better reform the Commonwealth's security and justice system.

Having long since accomplished this goal, the Speaker has now decided it is no longer in the interests of the people for him to burden his office of Law by performing double duty over the city's financial management as well. As such, a public election will be held to determine the next Minister of Finance!

These candidates will campaign on platforms of reform or stability and state to the public their intents for the office of Minister.

Now, for my own part, I might make a few recommendations: for starters, the cost of sugar. I have it on expert culinary authority that this versatile import from our southern islands and the coastal areas of the Moonshaes is a crucial element in many of our very best foods: the pastry, the pie, the malted milk, the strawberry tart, various tapiocas and puddings, seasoned dumplings and many other delectable dishes that we have come to enjoy and appreciate with our liberties in the Commonwealth.

It has come to my attention that certain parties within the Ministry of Finance who classify certain imported goods as "luxuries" and thus apply an exorbitant "luxury" tax have not the best interests of our culture at heart; have we not earned the right to enjoy some luxuries as though they were commonalities? But of course! Before man threw off the yoke of ignorance, he ate dirt; once enlightened, he found a wild boar and cooked it on the spit in its rich and oily juices!

So, too, must we bring ourselves out of the muck: my vote will most certainly go to the candidate who relinquishes this ridiculous "luxury" tax from the cost of sugar, which is even now threatening to bankrupt some of our very finest eateries!

As to whom those candidates shall be? Only one has been named thus far: Secretary Penn E. Pincer, the long-standing aid to Speaker Maximillian himself while he served as Minister of Finance. He announced his intentions to run during an afternoon proclamation by the Speaker held yesterday. He brings with him a great deal of experience, and I daresay I heard the beginnings of a campaign slogan:

A vote for Pincer is a vote for a stable economy.

Clearly capitalizing upon his breadth of working knowledge of the Commonwealth bureaucracy, the Ministry of Finance, and years of experience essentially serving as the Minister pro temp while Maximillian shared the duties of two Ministries.

Will anyone else have the necessary financial background and acumen for the job? Look to the Amian Recorder within the tenday for an answer! Candidates must be nominated by a citizen of the Commonwealth and, once their background is verified, they can begin their campaigns.

// In case the IC isn't clear and you need the OOC:

You may respond IC however you like in this thread. Whether or not you have a Citizenship with Cordor (those of you who do know that you do because you've taken the Examination or have otherwise contacted me about having one) you may nominate a PC (or NPC, if you wish) to take this leading government role in the Commonwealth of Cordor.

There is no guarantee that PC/NPC will be approved. As you can see, they have to be a citizen themselves, and they have to have some REASON for being in the Ministry of Finance. For example, Penn E. Pincer has been serving as Secretary of Finance for years and purports to have a background in managing several estates. Any other proposed candidates should have some kind of similar "professional experience", whatever the hell Hurst means by that.

Those who are approved as candidates are also welcome to post a "press release" here in this thread, detailing your approval to run, your intent as to why, what your platforms may be, what you want to change, the usual political appeals. NPC votes will figure in at a small percentage here (though preference is given to player votes), and it is the effectiveness of your press release if you choose to post one that will sway the small NPC percentage vote. Campaigning IG is welcome and encouraged, and can be done without DM oversight. If enough candidates are qualified, there may be a special DM event to aid in everyone's campaigns that I have in mind.

In a week or so, I will begin the actual election process, at which point, if you have a citizenship with Cordor, you just PM me which of the candidates you want to vote for. One vote per PC. The PC is welcome to vote for him or herself, if he or she is a running candidate.

As you can see, ballots are cast in person, and not by letter. You can surmise that this is intentionally done to force "government participation" and to pretty much shut out the possibility of forged ballots. Does this make for a smooth election process? It did last time. Let's see if it works the same way the second time around.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 14 2013, 8:53 AM 

Player

Joon publishes a handful of copies of a small pamphlet, posted at the Commonwealth Center, the Library, and in strategic places around the better parts of town. He's also handing out copies to the few attendants of his weekly sermons and to parents who pick up their children from school.

Fellow Citizens of the Commonwealth,

Each of us surely feels the titillating tremors of history at our Speaker's announcement. In only a few years Maximilian has managed to protect the fruits of revolution and establish the young Commonwealth as a stable power of in the region. He has steered the ship of state well, but a captain needs his first mate, boatswain and able seamen. The coast of the Old World behind us have fallen beneath the horizon, but there's still rocks and storms between us and the shores of plenty.

It is thus my wish that the coffers of Cordor gain a guardian who can envision the land we're sailing toward and navigate us there with wisdom, temperance and prudent generosity. I urge the future Minister to consider questions of education and scholarship. You can prop up state on gold, hard work and the strength of arms, but you cannot build a civilization without culture. Animals and even goblins fight, hoard food and shiny things, or build nests. What separates us from goblins is education - and personal hygiene, of course.

The Orthodox Church of Oghma will support the candidate who is dedicated to the cause of civilization. The children are our best hope for future, and the Blue Skies Academy is the best hope of giving those children a future. The Triumvir collections are destroyed, and the island's largest troves of lore are found in Winya Ravana, Kohlingen and Tarkuul. That is a shame! With the generous permission of secretary Hurst I have been building up our library, but more money and will is needed to make Cordor the Pearl of the Trackless Sea it deserves to be. We have recently offered our aegis on settlements in the Lowlands, but to be part of a Commonwealth is more than to see an armed guard by the treeline. The new Minister should extend our common wealth to our new family in protection, welfare and education. Lowlands Delta relief efforts and educational expeditions must be authorized and funded to show the island what a Commonwealth can do not only for its citizens, but for its neighbours. That is how they become contributing, tax-paying members of the Commonwealth. Give, and you shall receive.

I urge everyone to consider the candidates with care and vote for the one who has an eye out for the future. I hope able candidates step up to tackle the challenges facing us. I will announce my vote once the candidates have spoken, and hope that you join me en masse to carry our choice into office.

I also pledge a contribution of five hundred thousand gold to the Commonwealth coffers if the right candidate gets elected. This donation will be earmarked for the Ministries of Labour and Health and Welfare. While I believe in the higher goal of learning, it is jobs, food and medicine that let us aspire higher. What will you pledge?

Joon of the Binder,
Teacher of History and Religion at Blue Skies Academy
Wise Anticipator of the Orthodox Church of Oghma

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Yossarin

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 16 2013, 22:20 PM 

Player

The Amian Recorder reports one morning that Secretary Penn E. Pincer continues to run for the position unnoposed.

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 18 2013, 5:50 AM 

Player

Eli Hodgewall submits his bid for the position for approval within the Government Center. He then heads to Bill Hurst's office and submits a letter to be run in the Recorder should his bid be approved.

Yossarin

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 18 2013, 15:56 PM 

Player

With some small amount of fanfare, Eli Hodgewall is approved to campaign for the position of Finance Minister.

A collection of hinfolk citizens in Cordor rally to his cause. A bake sale is held in his name.

Xaviera

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 18 2013, 15:58 PM 

Player

Xaviera takes a keen interest in keeping track of who's been nominated. She visits the office that's handling the applications at least once a day when she's in town, and seems rather put out that only two individuals have been named thus far.

Hearing of the bake sale to support Hodgewall, she attends (in an unofficial capacity) and purchases a small box of pastries to take home.

"[They] were moving in on me like Sharessans on a new broad in the bath house" - Tracer Bolt
AmiaWiki mod (mostly inactive)

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 18 2013, 16:49 PM 

Player

Hearing of the bake sale, Eli heads over to mingle, be seen, and even lend a hand in an effort to solidify his image as a working class Hin. Following a few hours time, he purchases a few loaves of bread and departs for Guldorand as to not shirk on his present duties. Along the way he distributes the loaves to any beggars he encounters on his way to the cart driver and gives whatever is left to the guard fellows stationed up in the ruins with him.

Yossarin

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 22 2013, 16:04 PM 

Player

The Amian Recorder announces that nominations for Minister of Finance will be closing in a few days. (Wednesday 2-27, CST Time.)

LadyJeanine

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 22 2013, 17:22 PM 

Player

Very early the following morning, a miss Arianne Regalyen submits her name into the contest for office.

ROCK ON
\m/

Yossarin

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 23 2013, 21:37 PM 

Player

Arianne Regalyen, along with yet another applicant, Citizen Aven Srylle, are both announced in the Amian Recorder as approved candidates.

Yossarin

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 24 2013, 21:31 PM 

Player

Press Secretary Bill Hurst seems very pleased to announce, in a flurry of announcements both printed and verbal, that all of the candidates for the Minister of Finance position had been vetted and approved for campaign. They are listed as

Penn E. Pincer, Secretary of Finance
Eli Hodgewall, Clerk from the Bureau of the Census
Outspoken Citizen Aven Srylle
Miss Arianne Regalyen

Furthermore, Hurst announces his intent to hold exclusive interviews with the candidates individually at a variety of venues, open to the public (he makes recommendations of a variety of restaurants and cafes which purport exquisite gourmanderie and stellar service), wherein he will ask them a few questions about their campaigns or "anything else of public interest!"

He also says he may host a public debate, provided all candidates are able to attend.

// All right, candidates. At this point, you may post 1 post in this thread detailing a "stump speech" of sorts. Your campaign. You may put it in the form of a verbal dialogue, representing the canned speaking you might regularly do around Cordor, or you may write it as a press release to be printed in the Amian Recorder. Limit your campaining within this thread to just one post if could, as there is no reason for you to be responding to one anothers' claims back and forth. That you should save for IG, or for a collective debate if we can organize one or your individual interviews.

My recommendation for your campaign post? Remember that it is a campaign. You have both PCs and NPCs voting for you, and you are being given the opportunity to affect actual change in the city, so having a platform, certain campaign promises (whether or not you intend to keep them) is essential to winning votes and, also, to having something to do if you are elected. Be specific, rather than vague. Don't just say you want to "end hunger for the starving". Campaign with a plan. Tell people how you're going to do it, where you're going to get the money from. Will you be cutting spending to build a national treasury? Increasing taxes to cover more public works projects? These are the things to think about.

In addition to your campaign post, leave an OOC idea of what evenings you are available and see how they compare to your fellow candidates. If they line up, the DM Team can try to arrange a Debate for you!

And most importantly, have fun with it.

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 26 2013, 6:19 AM 

Player

*Eli uses either chair, stage, or barrel to stand upon in order to address the public in the bars, inns, and taverns around the districts of Cordor.*

*He begins in a calm, clear voice with his arms outstretched.*

"A life of Simplicity, Comfort, and Benefit for the Average Working Citizen. That is what you vote to achieve should you vote for me, Eli Hodgewall, for Minister of Finance."

*He looks about, pulling his arms back in.*

"The Commonwealth attracts trade, free thinkers, and those that are tired of the oppression of an enforced class system. It is a haven for all, where even the little guy..."

*pauses for any laughter*

"... can have a voice!"

*His facial expression turns from cheery to more serious. He otherwise gesticulates appropriately as he speaks.*

"The Commonwealth also attracts adventurers. It is no secret that Cordor has long allowed adventurers within its walls. As many of you already realize, Cordor is the usual port where the majority of adventurers first come to the island of Amia."

*He gives a moment for the thought to rile the crowd slightly before reigning it in as he continues.*

"Some manage to give up that lifestyle and live and work as members of the Commonwealth. However, many do not and only rent rooms at the Inns while passing by and ignoring stores and services that "aren't of value" to them. Furthermore, as a present member of the Bureau of the Census, I can attest to them being the most difficult part of my present job as they do not pay any taxes and are extremely hard to track. Well, no more!"

*Looks about those gathered.*

"If elected Minister it is my intent to levy a gate and port toll to non-citizens. This toll will be used to subsidize part of your own taxes, lessening their weight upon your own wallets, while the remainder will be used to offset the cost of education."

*He gives not even a moments pause before adding...*

"After all, ours is a society built on trade and making ourselves better. Knowledge is the foundation of our livelihoods. It is the very thing our young apprentices learn from trade masters and our entrepreneurs use to drive their trades and industries to profit and fortune!"

*He pauses to gauge reactions and then continues.*

"On the topic of improving public knowledge, I believe in the transparency of Government. If elected, I will do my utmost to see that the percentages of where your taxes go be made part of the public record. Taxes are your hard earned money going towards funding the Commonwealth and you rightly deserve to see how your money is being spent!"

*While he had spoken, he pointed upward in animated fashion!*

"Going back to what we citizens attract..."

*He calmed his body and paused once again before continuing, hoping that his own demanding excitement had resonated with those in the crowd.*

"...the most important thing that both is attracted to the Commonwealth, and attracts others to it is our generosity and ability to work together!"

*He turns to regard the owner of the establishment in which he is speaking.*

"It was people like that..."

*He motions the owner and looks back to the crowd.*

"...that have helped us to expand the Commonwealth as far north as Guldorand. When Guldorand was in peril, it was the decent, honest business owners of the Commonwealth that offered their very establishments as places of refuge. Many of the new citizens from there that I have had the pleasure of proctoring the Citizenship Exam for, have made mention of their virtues."

*He leads those gathered in applause for the owner. Before turning back to the crowd.*

"Even now, when the rest of the island of Amia has seemed to have allowed Guldorand to slip through the cracks, our Ministry of Labor and a citizen-based work force has taken up the mantle of rebuilding Guldorand with supplies provided for by the Commonwealth!"

*He gauges reactions once more, his face cheery.*

"Together, there is nothing we cannot accomplish. Together we can achieve 'A Life of Simplicity, Comfort, and Benefit for the Average Working Citizen.' That is what you vote for should you vote for me, Eli Hodgewall, for Minister of Finance. Thank you for your time and don't forget to be generous to the waitstaff! Good fortune find you!"

*Eli would then pause and wave to any offered applause before setting about mingling amongst those that stick around all while shaking hands with any offered his way.*

((I am usually free after 6pm CST Monday-Wednesday. I am also free on Sundays.))

Palin489

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 26 2013, 20:37 PM 

Player

“Every day I walk through this city and I am astonished at just how far we’ve come. This city is full of life, the lives we’ve created and fostered for ourselves through the hard work of the individual. The individual is all of us, a carpenter working his hands to create a city for his children and his community to live in, the farmer supplying the foods to nurture our bodies and give us strength and prowess of the mind, and the scholars who with their sharp minds search for the simple solutions so that we might all live in an age of resplendent wealth and peace where none are left behind and all are given the chance to meet their potential. To the adventurer who has saved us from the threat of monsters that live in the world around us. I believe in the strength of the individual, with each of us capable of limitless good and touched with the spark of ingenuity and creativity. That spark is not only in you, or your children or your family but it is in everyone, all beings are capable of such feats given the correct nurturing.”

-Aven gave a moment’s pause to examine his crowd.-

“That potential is in all of us, the people of all cities in all places around the world are capable of making the lives for all of us better. I’m not saying it’s easy, nor that it won’t have hiccups, nor am I saying that evil does not exist. The choice exists though. We make the choice to get up every day and strive for a better future for our children or ourselves, doesn’t that speak for the good that exists? This is what makes life so valuable, and war so terrible. All lives lost to the protection and control of lands are the potential revolutionaries that great technologies came from. The technologies we have today are the machinations of centuries of progress, what a waste to see these tools of abundance put to the use of war. We could instead set that to the betterment of the people, to foster a generation of renaissance and understanding, unity and progress. With this in mind I aim to avoid the war we see beckoning on our doorstep and instead turn such funding into the civil and social structures that aid our people, the reason our government exists in the first place! To afford the best education, the most advanced tools of work. With these changes progress is unavoidable, it just takes men and women willing to fight for the progress of the people."

-He gave a surveying glance to the crowd, a warm air of confidence and surety in his tone and posture.-

“One of the candidates for this campaign believes to tax the adventurers for the services we have provided them the networking and trade we allow them. And it has been said that the adventurer is a pestilence to society but I believe otherwise. Just as I believe in you and the good in your hearts.”

-He would take a moment to motion to the crowd.-

“I also believe in the good that exists in the adventurer, there are threats in our world, the kobolds that harass our city, the menace that decimated the lands of Brogdenstein, or the pirates who have attacked both the Lowland Deltas and the Salandran Temple! But in these times of dire needs the worth of the adventurer shines, she steps forward to protect us, and they do so at the risk of their own lives! These men and women live a dangerous life and have many marvelous experiences treading where most fear to walk. The benefit they offer everyone extends beyond their martial prowess, but to their potential wisdom and wealth should they desire to truly better the world which they are a part of. With this in mind I would instead of taxing the entrants to the city I would have them assist in the broadening of our knowledge, to create an elaborate archive for us to study and learn from so that the knowledge and information is accessible to everyone, so that we and our children, our scholars and our workers might further themselves. Rather than punish them for the power they have I would put it to use for the betterment of our people, in times of need they have proven themselves. In times of peace should they desire to become a part of something greater than themselves, to assist in the progress of our city I would expand our libraries with their knowledge, to which would serve our children and their children and so on in the endless human pursuit for a better life where we might live equally, fairly. The adventurer is a person just as you and I are, I believe they want to help, and through the government I plan to give them a place to help further our society”

-Aven gave a smile and cleared his throat before continuing.-

“I agree with Hodgewell’s desire to see taxes opened up to the people, such transparency is the necessary future, I believe in the transparency of finance, government and information, therefor if elected I too would work to disclose such information, but I wouldn’t stop there. There are many more areas that are shrouded in the paperwork and mystery of beuraucracy, and you can believe that I will work to open those for further transparency.”
-He paused giving himself time to take a sip of water which sat on a stand before him.-

“I campaign for the progress of us as a people, where we might together live and support one another to a better tomorrow, and we don’t need to step on others to achieve this. We only need to work together, war is not working together, war is not progress.. It is a waste! Fathers , brothers, sisters, mothers, and children are the fuel for the pointless war machine. Each of those lost to war is the individual we praise so highly being snuffed out by men who see numbers and not the good and potential that resides in each of you. I would see us all turn away from the atrocities of war and instead turn to pursuit of the mind, the refinement of what makes us sentient and intelligent beings.”

TheCortroy

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 03 2013, 6:42 AM 

Player

Various posters fly about the city!

When the average person inspects over one of flyers, it could be seen that they are all handmade with a certain degree of carelessness. Each one of the specifics flyers would have some type of reference, saying something along!:

"A vote for Arianne Regalyn is a vote for the future!"

"Do you trust your money at night? If you don't, vote for Arianne Regalyn!"

"Respect policies, respect authority, respect for you - A vote for Arianne Regalyn."

A hooded man could be seen throwing these around, not staying in one particular district too long before moving off.

Yossarin

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 03 2013, 15:52 PM 

Player

DustSpray101 wrote:
*Eli uses either chair, stage, or barrel to stand upon in order to address the public in the bars, inns, and taverns around the districts of Cordor.*

*He begins in a calm, clear voice with his arms outstretched.*

"A life of Simplicity, Comfort, and Benefit for the Average Working Citizen. That is what you vote to achieve should you vote for me, Eli Hodgewall, for Minister of Finance."

*He looks about, pulling his arms back in.*

"The Commonwealth attracts trade, free thinkers, and those that are tired of the oppression of an enforced class system. It is a haven for all, where even the little guy..."

*pauses for any laughter*

There is laughter, and proud agreement from the hin community, who have shown up en masse to back a candidate of their own stature.

Quote:
"... can have a voice!"

*His facial expression turns from cheery to more serious. He otherwise gesticulates appropriately as he speaks.*

"The Commonwealth also attracts adventurers.

A chorus of boos interrupts the address. It is so ardent that it threatens to overpower him.

Quote:
It is no secret that Cordor has long allowed adventurers within its walls. As many of you already realize, Cordor is the usual port where the majority of adventurers first come to the island of Amia."

"Yeah, because they think we're the easiest pickins!"
"We'll show 'em!"

Quote:
*He gives a moment for the thought to rile the crowd slightly before reigning it in as he continues.*

"Some manage to give up that lifestyle and live and work as members of the Commonwealth. However, many do not and only rent rooms at the Inns while passing by and ignoring stores and services that "aren't of value" to them. Furthermore, as a present member of the Bureau of the Census, I can attest to them being the most difficult part of my present job as they do not pay any taxes and are extremely hard to track. Well, no more!"

*Looks about those gathered.*

"If elected Minister it is my intent to levy a gate and port toll to non-citizens. This toll will be used to subsidize part of your own taxes, lessening their weight upon your own wallets, while the remainder will be used to offset the cost of education."

It takes them some time to process the magnitude of that approach, but just when they start to approach a positive reaction, Eli continues on like fire.

Quote:
*He gives not even a moments pause before adding...*

"After all, ours is a society built on trade and making ourselves better. Knowledge is the foundation of our livelihoods. It is the very thing our young apprentices learn from trade masters and our entrepreneurs use to drive their trades and industries to profit and fortune!"

*He pauses to gauge reactions and then continues.*

A sea of approving nods. A positive reaction, indeed.

Quote:
"On the topic of improving public knowledge, I believe in the transparency of Government. If elected, I will do my utmost to see that the percentages of where your taxes go be made part of the public record. Taxes are your hard earned money going towards funding the Commonwealth and you rightly deserve to see how your money is being spent!"

"Better streets in the Central district!"
"More housing!"
"More government work opportunities!"

Quote:
*While he had spoken, he pointed upward in animated fashion!*

"Going back to what we citizens attract..."

*He calmed his body and paused once again before continuing, hoping that his own demanding excitement had resonated with those in the crowd.*

"...the most important thing that both is attracted to the Commonwealth, and attracts others to it is our generosity and ability to work together!"

*He turns to regard the owner of the establishment in which he is speaking.*

"It was people like that..."

*He motions the owner and looks back to the crowd.*

"...that have helped us to expand the Commonwealth as far north as Guldorand. When Guldorand was in peril, it was the decent, honest business owners of the Commonwealth that offered their very establishments as places of refuge. Many of the new citizens from there that I have had the pleasure of proctoring the Citizenship Exam for, have made mention of their virtues."

*He leads those gathered in applause for the owner. Before turning back to the crowd.*

The applause is thunderous, accompanied with shouts of "Long Live the Commonwealth" and "Gods Bless Maximillian"!

Quote:
"Even now, when the rest of the island of Amia has seemed to have allowed Guldorand to slip through the cracks, our Ministry of Labor and a citizen-based work force has taken up the mantle of rebuilding Guldorand with supplies provided for by the Commonwealth!"

*He gauges reactions once more, his face cheery.*

Applause!

Quote:
"Together, there is nothing we cannot accomplish. Together we can achieve 'A Life of Simplicity, Comfort, and Benefit for the Average Working Citizen.' That is what you vote for should you vote for me, Eli Hodgewall, for Minister of Finance. Thank you for your time and don't forget to be generous to the waitstaff! Good fortune find you!"

*Eli would then pause and wave to any offered applause before setting about mingling amongst those that stick around all while shaking hands with any offered his way.*

((I am usually free after 6pm CST Monday-Wednesday. I am also free on Sundays.))

Yossarin

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 03 2013, 18:09 PM 

Player

Palin489 wrote:
“Every day I walk through this city and I am astonished at just how far we’ve come. This city is full of life, the lives we’ve created and fostered for ourselves through the hard work of the individual. The individual is all of us, a carpenter working his hands to create a city for his children and his community to live in, the farmer supplying the foods to nurture our bodies and give us strength and prowess of the mind, and the scholars who with their sharp minds search for the simple solutions so that we might all live in an age of resplendent wealth and peace where none are left behind and all are given the chance to meet their potential. To the adventurer who has saved us from the threat of monsters that live in the world around us. I believe in the strength of the individual, with each of us capable of limitless good and touched with the spark of ingenuity and creativity. That spark is not only in you, or your children or your family but it is in everyone, all beings are capable of such feats given the correct nurturing.”

-Aven gave a moment’s pause to examine his crowd.-

The crowd is pensive, processing the depth and integrity of Aven's words. The more Aven watches, the more he realizes they might actually be trying to grasp the meaning, as well, as the general public doesn't appear to be the most academic.

Quote:
“That potential is in all of us, the people of all cities in all places around the world are capable of making the lives for all of us better. I’m not saying it’s easy, nor that it won’t have hiccups, nor am I saying that evil does not exist. The choice exists though. We make the choice to get up every day and strive for a better future for our children or ourselves, doesn’t that speak for the good that exists?

"Yes!" More nods and agreements follow. Not all of them have a perfect sense of the rhetorical question.

Quote:
This is what makes life so valuable, and war so terrible. All lives lost to the protection and control of lands are the potential revolutionaries that great technologies came from. The technologies we have today are the machinations of centuries of progress, what a waste to see these tools of abundance put to the use of war. We could instead set that to the betterment of the people, to foster a generation of renaissance and understanding, unity and progress.

A subsection of the crowd, a group of people wearing red sashes recognized as "Johnathin's Wounds" in remembrance of the former minister of Health and Public Welfare, and also therefore recognized as members of the community organization Sympathy for South Cordor, openly applaud the effort made towards peace.

Quote:
With this in mind I aim to avoid the war we see beckoning on our doorstep and instead turn such funding into the civil and social structures that aid our people, the reason our government exists in the first place! To afford the best education, the most advanced tools of work. With these changes progress is unavoidable, it just takes men and women willing to fight for the progress of the people."

-He gave a surveying glance to the crowd, a warm air of confidence and surety in his tone and posture.-

“One of the candidates for this campaign believes to tax the adventurers for the services we have provided them the networking and trade we allow them. And it has been said that the adventurer is a pestilence to society but I believe otherwise. Just as I believe in you and the good in your hearts.”

Dubious expressions abound...

Quote:
-He would take a moment to motion to the crowd.-

“I also believe in the good that exists in the adventurer, there are threats in our world, the kobolds that harass our city, the menace that decimated the lands of Brogdenstein, or the pirates who have attacked both the Lowland Deltas and the Salandran Temple! But in these times of dire needs the worth of the adventurer shines, she steps forward to protect us, and they do so at the risk of their own lives! These men and women live a dangerous life and have many marvelous experiences treading where most fear to walk. The benefit they offer everyone extends beyond their martial prowess, but to their potential wisdom and wealth should they desire to truly better the world which they are a part of.

Aven begins to lose his audience. They boo, they wave their hands dismissively, and some walk off, unwilling to listen to someone give praise to the very same people who murdered their friends and family.

Quote:
With this in mind I would instead of taxing the entrants to the city I would have them assist in the broadening of our knowledge, to create an elaborate archive for us to study and learn from so that the knowledge and information is accessible to everyone, so that we and our children, our scholars and our workers might further themselves. Rather than punish them for the power they have I would put it to use for the betterment of our people, in times of need they have proven themselves.

"Have us licking their boots again, you mean!"
"Just like he's licking their arses!"
"Haha!"

The heckling begins. The crowd that does not contain itself simply starts to walk away, or remain patiently by to listen without further comment.

Quote:
In times of peace should they desire to become a part of something greater than themselves, to assist in the progress of our city I would expand our libraries with their knowledge, to which would serve our children and their children and so on in the endless human pursuit for a better life where we might live equally, fairly. The adventurer is a person just as you and I are, I believe they want to help, and through the government I plan to give them a place to help further our society”

"Yeah, they want to help. Help themselves to our coinpurses!"

Quote:
-Aven gave a smile and cleared his throat before continuing.-

“I agree with Hodgewell’s desire to see taxes opened up to the people, such transparency is the necessary future, I believe in the transparency of finance, government and information, therefor if elected I too would work to disclose such information, but I wouldn’t stop there. There are many more areas that are shrouded in the paperwork and mystery of beuraucracy, and you can believe that I will work to open those for further transparency.”
-He paused giving himself time to take a sip of water which sat on a stand before him.-

“I campaign for the progress of us as a people, where we might together live and support one another to a better tomorrow, and we don’t need to step on others to achieve this. We only need to work together, war is not working together, war is not progress.. It is a waste! Fathers , brothers, sisters, mothers, and children are the fuel for the pointless war machine. Each of those lost to war is the individual we praise so highly being snuffed out by men who see numbers and not the good and potential that resides in each of you. I would see us all turn away from the atrocities of war and instead turn to pursuit of the mind, the refinement of what makes us sentient and intelligent beings.”

Aven's praise of adventurers proves to be an undoing for his initial campaign speech, but enough people stick around to at least hear some of his ideas about transparency and especially about keeping the peace, and to these points, he gains applause.

Elorathall

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 03 2013, 18:23 PM 

Player

At the end of the speech, a portion of the audience might recognize Marcus - if only for being "that preachy fellow" - step up towards Aven. He raises his voice, clearly accustomed and comfortable with being heard by a crowd.

"Some time past you applied for the Alpha Division Vanguard of the Commonwealth Scouts. As part of the recruitment procedure, I ask Amaunator to reveal your nature and morality to me. I do this to ensure that those recruited have the proper inclination to serve this Commonwealth and its citizens well. However, your nature remained obscured to me, and I know well enough such is only so when it is purposefully concealed - and only those whose nature is dark or selfish have ever had a reason to do so.

Tell us now then, why we should place our trust in someone who clearly hides who he is? Why should we trust you with our taxes and trust you to govern the Commonwealth's wealth well, when it seems you cannot govern yourself?"

Aurelius: Sunmaster of Amaunator. Contemplative. Aspirant to Transcendance.
"Sol Invictus"

LetumLux

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 06 2013, 7:33 AM 

Player

A female citizen with Damaran accent asks a simple query at the Commonwealth Center.

"When will Secretary Pincer be speaking?"

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 10 2013, 6:11 AM 

Player

*Eli continues on per his usual campaigning, but seems to pay particular interest in what Marcus has to say concerning Aven's predispositions. The Hin has otherwise been busy making inquiries concerning the all of the districts and the financial cost to rent some of the larger Venues across the city... specifically:

-The Festival Ground in the North
-The Blue Skies in the East
-The Broken Arrow in the West
-The parks in the South
-The Theater in Central

One could likely speculate that the small statured candidate is considering some form or possibly forms of events. After checking on these things, he returns to Guldorand as to not shirk his present duties as chief of the Bureau of the Census' efforts in 'Commonwealth, North' as he has been heard to refer to the still present ruins as.*

Yossarin

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 10 2013, 17:48 PM 

Player

Pincer's address to the Commonwealth public is made from the steps of the Commonwealth Center, molded in the image of Speaker Maximillian himself by choosing to use the same venue the Speaker regularly uses to address the people. In addition, the Secretary also utilizes the gazebo in South Cordor to address an audience of mostly merchants and citizens engaged in South Cordorian commerce, again conjuring memories of Maximillian's State of the Commonwealth Address.

Though he has opted to wear colors more muted than his usual royal purple and gold, adopting mostly black and a bit of brown, the golden rings on his fingers gleam in the sunlight.

"Thank you, Citizens, for exercising your due diligence in the dream of the Commonwealth, one where we choose our leaders, rather than have them chosen for us by an indifferent nobility."

When someone starts off by dissing the nobility, it gets a positive reaction of applause and cheers.

"And I equally extend my gratitude to Clerk Hodgewall, to Citizen Srylle, and to Miss Regalyen for their willingness to serve their neighbors. Should I be elected as Minister of Finance, I can see that I may have some excellent choices for a Secretary."

"Today I am here to discuss the future of the Commonwealth. Though I hold our glorious Speaker in the highest esteem, and too have some kind regard for our Secretary of the Press Bill Hurst, I find that each, in their own way, focuses very often upon the past. Upon what we have suffered and overcome. Upon what we have achieved, on the years we have spent trying to carve our own way in a world that increasingly rejects our recognition of our inherent freedoms. Freedoms that the usurious nobility would still yet see stripped from us."

"The position of the Minister of Finance is a unique one in that there is a great burden upon our house to consider the future, even moreso than the past or the present. Like the rest of you, I experienced the problems of the past, but I personally believe we are more than the sum of our experiences. We are also hopes and dreams of that future we can build together."

"But in order to do that, we need to maintain a strong foundation. The Ministry of Finance helps to maintain that strong foundation by working to build a stable economy. And that is no easy feat."

Pincer lacks the bombasticness of Hodgewall, the peppered fire of Syrlle, and in fact has a rather lispy and breezy demeanor that seems to lull the crowd.

"Cordor's economy underwent a dramatic change at the same time that our governance did. Traditionally, our city has relied heavily upon trade, and not only upon trade, but upon the wealth and credit of the noble families that dominated our market. Since their exodus from the capital, it is an uncomfortable reality that we have lost many of our overseas investors. Many of those companies and industries were themselves owned and operated by ranking nobility, and although we can in general trust that profit motivates people more sensibly than social status, it is nonetheless a fact that our...revolution, for lack of a better word...is something they have, for years, been unwilling to forgive us for."

A chorus of boos sound. It's uncertain whether they are boo'ing the mention of the nobles, or for the mere hint that Pincer might be suggesting they need to be appeased, or on some level empathizing with them.

"Thus, we have had to find alternative means of income. Increased taxation, primarily, as well as significant spending cuts such as disbanding the merchant militia. However, our per annum revenue continues to slip more towards the red each year. With our city being the size that it is, and our population being the size that it is, we cannot continue to sustain ourselves without the following changes:"

"One, we must reestablish greater foreign trade. If we are not able to patch up relationships with those accounts that abandoned us in the wake of the exodus of nobility from the city, then we must show them a reason why they should reinvest. That even though we are of common blood, we are just as capable of managing the Gem of the Trackless Sea. And if their blood makes them too stubborn to resist, then we must go abroad and seek new trade opportunities. Every year, there are other ports in the Trackless Sea that grow: the coastal cities of Ruathym, the island resorts of the Moonshaes; the Trade Federation of Toril has a foothold in Forrstakkr and may be intending to try to one day make it a major port destination along the Trackless Trade Route. My intent, citizens, is to appoint a Secretary who has both the will and the skill to be sent abroad to woo more foreign trade, more foreign investors, and more capital to the Cordorian marketplace."

Mild applause, but some of the citizens are losing interest.

"Secondly, we need to explore other sources of revenue. Mr. Hodgewall has an excellent idea in imposing a gate tax upon adventurers, but I cannot foresee this having as much impact as an improved model: instead of merely imposing a gate tax upon these non-citizen mercenaries, I intend to work with the Ministry of Law and the Census Bureau to make available to these adventurers a temporary merchant visa. This visa will have an annual cost of 10,000 in gold - for as we all know well, the adventurers are good for the money..."

A random adventurer coughs bullshit aloud but otherwise remains hidden to avoid a lynching.

"...and will need to be renewed from year to year. Without this visa, adventurers may not deal with merchants, under penalty of criminal prosecution against the merchant. The Ministry of Finance will therefore be responsible for conducting regular audits and sting operations of various storefronts through the city to ensure that this policy is being followed."

The crowd cheers.
The merchants in the crowd remain silent as they begin to contemplate this sudden sign of governmental regulation of their otherwise free market.

"And third, I intend to engage in discussion with the rest of the Commonwealth Council on the matter of expansion. With an investment now in expansion into territories to the west and the north, we can generate housing and profit from the land itself to sustain our people and grant them all a better life. Expansion is a difficult word to use in this day and time, with tension high between the Commonwealth and our friendliest of neighbors," he says, citing Kohlingen without citing Kohlingen, "but I propose it not for military purposes, but merely for economic reasons. A prosperous city must grow beyond its borders, or it will stagnate."

And now, the Secretary does address Kohlingen.

"And with the Holy City's recent expansion into surrounding territories and farmlands, including an entire hunting ground for their elitest citizens, it seems quite hypocritical to impose sanctions upon the Commonwealth in its expansion for very much the same benign reasons."

The mildly aggressive sentiment incurs a second cheer.

"People of the Commonwealth, I hold the most professional experience in this position. Having served under the Speaker for years as Secretary of Finance, I already have a solid working knowledge of the Ministry, down to its lowliest clerks, our multiple accounts, our foreign investors. Now is indeed the time for change, and I have outlined how I intend to do that. But we must not let our desire for change to threaten the stability our economy requires, as well."

"A vote for Pincer is a vote for Stability."

So goes the campaign, which he repeats at a few other choice times at either of those venues.

Elorathall

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 10 2013, 20:09 PM 

Player

Marcus seems quietly approving of Pincer's address - nodding in agreement with many of the more practical measures. So much so, it seems, that he makes a point of attending the second speech as well.

"Sol Invictus"

Yossarin

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 10 2013, 20:17 PM 

Player

LetumLux wrote:
A female citizen with Damaran accent asks a simple query at the Commonwealth Center.

"When will Secretary Pincer be speaking?"

She is provided a time and place to attend.

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 12 2013, 16:25 PM 

Player

*Eli breaths deep upon hearing the news, learning of it following one of his typical stump speeches. If asked about the incident, his only words are as follows.*

"May the gods be merciful to the souls of our recently departed. My prayers go out to the victims of this horrible act. I also offer my condolences to the Sausage Lobby as Fight Night was undoubtably a boon to sausage sales. I place my faith in the Ministry of Law and their talents to see that such an occurrence never happen again, and in their investigative abilities to make certain of any ties the guilty party may have had to any of the parties or organizations our illustrious Press Secretary has named so that proper recompense can be sought from those responsible."

Palin489

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 12 2013, 22:26 PM 

Player

We started out like every other animal, struggling to survive the harsh nights. Scavenging and hunting each day, these actions were necessary to our survival at the time, but they were dangerous. Each night we had to fight to eat, as every other beast must. But we are more than beasts, we have a strength that transcends the physical power of those we share the world with. Our minds are the keys, they always have been and always will be. Through them we can see a greater picture, a greater world where our children live enlightened, untouched by war and surrounded by the splendor of prosperity. The proof is all around us. We left the path of beasts when we first started working towards the betterment of our own kind, the growth of crops pulled us away from the need of fighting animals for sustenance, it allowed us to build cities that expand all around us, protecting us and allowing the free exchange of ideas and trade which modern civilization thrives on. These hubs of humanity are some of our greatest achievements, it is the proof that is always around us. We are resilient, intelligent, and driven, with these traits we need only aim forward and greatness will follow in the wake of our footsteps. It may not happen in our lifetime but we as a people transcend the limitations of one life time, we are unified as a whole where each of us can positively affect the lives of our companions. Beasts do not seek to better their own kind, that is a virtue of man and woman.

-As he repositioned himself behind the podium preparing for his next segment a broach with a gold coin flickered on his chest hanging on a silver chain.-

Cordor’s patron deity, Waukeen, she is the God of Trade, civilization and knowledge, not war and discrimination. The wisdom in her teachings is paramount to the understanding we have of the world. Our cities have grown, we are now a part of a society that spans the entirety of Faerun! How marvelous man must be to have progressed so far, this expansion of our people, and variation of our knowledge and materials allows us to push ever further forward for the betterment of humanity. Trade allows us to pull resources from everywhere these tools we use to innovate and create. The imagination that our minds allow us give us the physical tools we use today that make life easier than how it was at the dawn of our kind. Through trade and education, we will prosper. Our children will live in a world made better by us, and if they’ve the strong hearts of men and women that we all know exists in each of us we will continue progressing forward.

-His demeanor shifted as he changed footing, his speech touching the darker parts of humanity.-

There is a beast in the machine though, a demon that is unique to man. Greed and war is a reality that only man experiences. Wolves and rabbits do not wage war, they do not covet more than is necessary. Only man experiences this demon, but we are strong, we are more than these urges. Knowledge and progress is the proof. War tears apart that progress and knowledge, the tools we use to make our lives better are refitted for war which only snuffs out the beauty of life, war for the land that is everyone’s. Now more than ever we need to stand up against the beast of war that attempts to pull us into the base urge of destruction. And this war is coming home if we don’t stop it. The machines of war are in our streets. Look to the trebuchets in our city, the increased military presence and the talks of raids on the citizens of our city, the lifeblood we thrive on. The trader who helps the world grow in both knowledge and materials is being threatened with spontaneous and violent raids under the militaristic ideas of Pincer, if we don't say "no" it won't stop there, such darkness will spread like a festering wound. Such raids infringe on our rights to privacy, our rights to live comfortably and instill fear in us. If we do not stop it our children will live in a world where the darkness in our hearts is institutionalized, controlled and measured by men who see only numbers, and not the beauty of life.

Together we can overcome these demons, as our parents did before us, and our children will do after us. But this is our battle, our crisis and wound, it is ours to heal. Don’t let your lives be riddled with fear of the guard busting down your doors, don’t let your lives be thrown to war. The beast in the machine can be rewritten. All the energy currently spent on war can be turned around to better our lives, our children’s lives. With education and trade we will create a golden era where none are left behind due to the abundance our tools can create. This world I speak of us ours, but the threat to it is greater now than it has been in many years. The clouds of war turbulently spin around us. Together we might seek peace between the cities, so that no lives are lost, and in the place of war we will have an educational and economical renaissance. Each day I wake up and fight for that world, where each man might live in harmony and peace surrounded by the marvels of his fellow man, and at the end of our brief existence on this plane we can reflect on the good we have done our people, the permanent etch in the history of man that we have made. Not a bloody smear, but a golden peace, a celebration of knowledge and trade.

-This speech is given throughout the city, as many as would listen were given chance to hear it.-

Elorathall

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 12 2013, 23:37 PM 

Player

The same man that spoke up during Aven's last speech seems keen to do so again.

"What sort of nonsense is this?! First you outright ignore my questions, that any citizen of the Commonwealth deserves an answer to, and now you stand here doing nothing but insult us?! You call us nothing more than animals and reduce the image of our city to nothing more than a glorified beehive. Then you claim that greed and war is something inherent to humans alone, completely ignorant that elves, dwarves and so many other races suffer these same things?!

You criticize the Commonwealth's efforts to better defend itself, a mere day until a rogue adventurer slaughtered several of our fellow citizens in the arena. The kobold tribes are still trying to raid our city whenever they have the chance, and the northern towns are all allied against us. If anything, this is all the more the time to invest in our safety. Which trader or merchant will come to our city when they risk their lives doing so?!

Do you even have an inkling notion of economics and finance? I am no Waukeenar, but even I know that these things -are- a matter of numbers. Supply and demand, taxation and revenue are most certainly quantitative matters, and not one of poetic license.

My questions stand. Why should the citizens of the Commonwealth trust someone who hides his true intentions and morality? Even moreso, why should the citizens of the Commonwealth vote for a man who is ignorant of ongoing concerns, and who wastes our time spouting meaningless rhetoric rather than stating exactly what and how he would accomplish during his term?"

"Sol Invictus"

Palin489

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 12 2013, 23:45 PM 

Player

Man is shorthand for the entirety of the sentients that have transcended the trappings of beasts. Show me a beast which wages war and builds as we do? I do not insult man, nor elf or any sentient creature rather I glorify them. The war on the horizon can be averted and I aim to do just that, as our people would most like agree it is not in our best interest, not as a nation nor as an individual. How many lives would be lost in the conquest between the Amian powers? Why would we throw away our lives and energy to a machine of war when we can instead foster creativity and intelligence we are blessed with? This intelligence is home to our greatest strengths and weaknesses, but we are more than just a mind, our hearts will aid in guiding us to what is right. War is not right. I agree with you that defense is paramount to the continuation of life as we know it, but defense need not be confused with machines of war. If you fear my right to privacy hiding something then I will relinquish my right to set your fear aside. Tell me who you see in me with your magic.

Finance is about numbers, again you are right. But lives aren't, you cannot measure a life as you do coin. That is why I would take what we use in offensive methods and redirect it to the expansion of our trade and educational infrastructure.

My campaign plan is as follows:
-Avert a war with the powers we share Amia with
-Promote trade in the form of expanding across the seas
-Promote education in the form of financial support to the crucial Blue Skies Academy and any other centers of knowledge that would openly aid our people
-Put transperancy where there is little to assure that our people are going in the direction they themselves desire
-Expand our communications and outreach programs so that all may have a broad scope of knowledge unhindered by bias.

Elorathall

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 16 2013, 21:25 PM 

Player

"Before you start making public declarations on the origins of races, I suggest you actually study these origins. Most races were created by the gods, with a few created against divine law by mortal creatures. No race has "transcended the trappings of beasts" - whatever those might be - to come into being.

I hear your plan, and I see nothing I have not heard stated by Secretary Pincer or Eli Hodgewall. Do you have no unique and credible points yourself? And what exactly are these "communications and outreach programs"?

Rest assured, I will determine the true nature of your intentions soon enough."

"Sol Invictus"

666WaysToHell

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 16 2013, 23:39 PM 

Player

Loynis watched the Lieutenant with a shake of his head, obviously losing any respect the Lieutenant had earned, which was very little and almost none to begin with. He takes the boat to Kohlingen and complains to his lady-friend about the day..

One man refuses to be checked by the detect evil spell and all of a sudden the Lieutenant has a wild fantasy about him having malign motivations? Not very wise, for a priest. It baffles me how such an idiot could have been promoted to his position.

Loynis makes sure he votes for Aven, none the less.

PhantomDream

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2013, 19:18 PM 

Player

The newly renovated historical bar, the Broken Arrow, in the western district of Cordor seems to thrive alive these days! The owner of the busy establishment continues to pay her respects to the staff and the patrons, but also is seen carrying bundles of "Vote for Eli" posters, and small pins that also say the same thing. A few of the posters are hung on the walls, but the rest of the stack is left sitting on the bar for individuals to take and read as they like. The pins, however, are to be provided with each drink, courtesy of the owner and staff of the Broken Arrow. It seemed they have established a political following for a certain individual, and used their business to campaign proudly.

Yossarin

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2013, 20:32 PM 

Player

The Bureau of the Census reports, in the pages of the Amian Recorder and on the lips of the town criers, that official voting will begin tomorrow and continue for a tenday.

The candidates remain the same:

Penn E. Pincer, Secretary of Finance
Eli Hodgewall, Clerk from the Bureau of the Census
Outspoken Citizen Aven Srylle
Miss Arianne Regalyen

// If you are an approved citizen of the Commonwealth (those of you who are know that you are) you may send me a PM with the name of the person you are voting for. It will be taken heavily into account in addition to the NPC populace, whose percentages I already know based upon the contents of this thread (plus a few other minor little things that people have done). One vote per PC (a player with multiple citizen PCs may cast a vote for each one, as there are not enough players with multiple citizen PCs for this to be abuseable at present). I will close the voting next Wednesday.

Campaigning and backbiting and politics as usual may proceed both IG as it has been as well as in this thread (but IG is preferred, since it all rings a little hollow here.)

As a note to whomever wins the election: remember, you become the Minister of Finance, and you handpick your Secretary of Finance, without any oversight necessary except in the most extreme of circumstances. The Secretary position must be filled by another citizen of the Commonwealth, but you have your pick of whom it may be. Be thinking about that in advance, because it would be something you would want to determine for your acceptance speech. For example, Pincer has already indicated that he might select one of the other PCs running as a Secretary, if he thinks they would be able to handle traveling abroad to "drum up" foreign investment in Cordor. But he could just as easily select some dark horse nobody knows anything about to be Secretary, so long as that person is a citizen.

Direct any OOC questions to me in PMs. Do not state them here to keep this thread free of clutterous OOC.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 20 2013, 22:28 PM 

Player

Joon does not issue another pamphlet, but he has announced his candidate and begun to speak for him: Eli Hodgewall. He is also urging people to step up and pledge their support together and publicly. To encourage their neighbours and to talk politics on the market. What better way to make new friends and feel like you're doing something? He also wears one of the Broken Arrow's pins.

"Though a firm hin of the people, I have come to believe mister Hodgewall a reasonable, moderate and multifaceted person. While he is down-to-earth and somewhat populist - aren't they all? - he's not a boorish or uneducated man. I trust he will favor both public and private endeavors to increase awareness and cultivate culture, as he's led me to believe in our conversations. My vote and gold is behind Eli, that's for sure."

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Bobo_Underhill

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2013, 0:34 AM 

Player

Andrew, seemingly with the rest of his employees, can be seen wearing his 'Vote for Eli' pin when not in class. In fact, he specifically forbids any kind of campaign advertisement on the school grounds, save in his own class which has a poster up for every candidate. The lighthearted headmaster generally praises Eli's balanced approach to taxing transients and his firm stance on economic transparency. Occasionally he calls Pincer's 10,000 gold visa idea "absurd" and a "killer to local businesses." For the most part though, he stays out of commenting beyond his patronage of the Broken Arrow after work and his 'Vote for Eli' pin.

The real news in the school is the most recent assignment Andrew gave his government classes in anticipation of the voting tenday. He makes a big deal to the students about a "Blue Skies Academy Straw Poll!" which he hopes to hold in a few days. In addition, his advanced students are assigned to create a platform and stump speech as if they were running for Minister of Finance, to be presented to their class.

Marigold Cobcruncher: Perceptive Priestess

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2013, 16:54 PM 

Player

*During his treks to and from Guldorand to continue his present duties, Eli makes a point to stop and visit with some of the Guldorand Refugees that, while having joined the Commonwealth, had opted to stay closer to their former mountain home in Bendir Dale for the duration of the reconstruction. He also heads out to the Lowland Delta and the Commonwealth holdings there as well.

In the city of Cordor, Gem of the Trackless Sea, Eli does what he can to be approachable by all of the voting populace, even critics and any inquisitive reporters.

He also works on solidifying his local image and makes it a point to be seen making purchases in each of the districts as both a subtle and obvious support of local business. He begins in Cordor North, purchasing a new stool from the local furniture shop and continues on to purchase a new vest at Arwen & Aluvard's Fine Clothes Shoppe in East Cordor. He then stops by Pinky's Pawns in Central Cordor to obtain a pocketable Gnomish Time piece on a chain and then swings into West Cordor for a lunch of local made sausage and reasonably fresh lemonade. While there he picks up one of the fancy pins offered at the Broken Arrow and mingles for a short time. Notably he does not seem to wear the pin, and his reasons are anyone's guess. Last but not least, he heads to South Cordor for a tall glass of chocolate milk at the Long and the Short.*

//In relation to this, I will be on tonight at some point, tomorrow after 6pm CST, Saturday afternoon/evening for a bit before 8pm CST, and again on Monday-Wenesday periodically after 6pm CST.

Sunkin Sheep

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 21 2013, 18:17 PM 

Player

Personalized signs go up in each of the five sectors of Cordor, encouraging citizens to cast their vote for Eli Hodgewall naming him the 'responsible spender' and the 'even-handed'. Pushing his label as an honest, integral, and kind fellow.

Laika-Unknown

Xaviera

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 22 2013, 18:11 PM 

Player

Xaviera has also taken to wearing a 'Vote for Eli' pin. If asked about her apparent endorsement, she opines that Secretary Pincer is a highly competent fellow and very satisfactory as Secretary of Finance, but that the Minister should be someone with a broader view. She suggests that Eli will bring this wider perspective to the Ministry but that Pincer would be an excellent choice to remain as Secretary and well-positioned to educate a new Minister in the fiscal realities of the Commonwealth. She suggests that each will assist the other in advancing useful ideas to improve Cordor's situation while avoiding 'outlandish and unworkable schemes' for raising additional funds.

// obviously Xaviera the PC has no OOC knowledge that the Secretary must also be a player character

"[They] were moving in on me like Sharessans on a new broad in the bath house" - Tracer Bolt

Yossarin

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 22 2013, 18:37 PM 

Player

Xaviera wrote:
// obviously Xaviera the PC has no OOC knowledge that the Secretary must also be a player character

// It does not have to be, no, but that is ideal.

DustSpray101

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 22 2013, 20:56 PM 

Player

*Eli is spotted conversing with Aven for a time near the Broken Arrow before heading inside with him. The establishment that has quickly proven to be somewhat of a campaign head quarters for himself and he is sure it is the place for a speech such as this. He hops up on a barrel to give an impromptu speech. He starts loud to call in attention to himself.*

"Ladies, fellows,
The most stalwart of supporters and believers in what you feel I can offer as your minister of Finance... Lend me your ears for I have an announcement to make!"

*He pauses a moment for the crowd to hush so that he need not shout.*

"The campaign these past few weeks has been long, but filled with the hope of a brighter tomorrow for the Commonwealth."

*He lingered a moment on the term, returning to it while looking up to the far corner rafters in a hopeful, wistful fashion.*

"Commonwealth..."

*His gaze floated back to the crowd.*

"The term fills me with pride. It was founded on the principal of bucking tradition in the best interests of the people. In that very spirit and in the spirit of transparency upon which I have built my candidacy, I wish to announce my choice of secretary now. After all, it is you, the voting Citizen that deserves to be as informed as possible in this election!"

*He gestured to them all as he spoke, trying to look directly at each recognized supporter in the crowd. He then paused yet again, clasping his hands, grinning and waiting for some semblance of understanding of what he said before he continues.*

"He is a man that, while 'progressive' in his thoughts and speaking, has come to share in and even go so far as to endorse much of my own vision for a prosperous Commonwealth! I have grown to respect the man in running against him and I believe he will be a boon to my efforts to serve you in greatest capacity. Should -You- elect me minister..."

*A brief pause for suspense's sake.*

"My choice for secretary will be Citizen Aven Srylle!"

*He motions to Aven briefly before attempting to drive excitement in the pub by leading a small round of applause, all while watching the reaction of the crowd out of the corners of his eyes. He motions to Aven once more, giving him as much attention as possible should he choose to give a short address to those present.*

LetumLux

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 23 2013, 2:28 AM 

Player

The news finds Ahsra with a bemused, unexcited reaction. While she logs hours laboring in Guldorand, the ascetic reflects on the candidates' speeches, and reevaluates her initial decision.

Yossarin

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 01 2013, 21:59 PM 

Player

Once the balloting closes, the clerks in the Bureau of the Census tuck their chidlren into bed, kiss their husbands and wives goodbye, and are locked behind armed guards in the paper-filled offices of the Census Bureau to count votes and compare votes placed against citizenship records.

Several days pass. Word gets out that the clerks had an answer ready, but when the results were given to the Speaker, he delayed the response by a few days while issuing a "quality assurance" team to double-check their numbers, considering the fact that one of those running in the election had been a member of their Bureau.

Finally, at the start of the new business tenday, the bells ring and the town criers declare the headlines in the Amian Recorder:

LANDSLIDE VICTORY FOR ELI HODGEWALL!
Might Cordor see a new "half-Monty" minted?

The story is straightforward, and contains Secretary of the Press Bill Hurst's personal assessment of how people voted. Citizens that he interviewed while standing in line at several food vendors in the south market.

"Hodgewall's adorable! He's like a miniature Cromwell with those hairy feet of his!"
"Pincer had my vote, but I don't necessarily feel like I lost this election. Both of them have the right idea about those damned adventurers."
"I think this can only bode well with our continued good relations with the Dale. I buy apples there to make cider all the time. Good people!"

The public seems generally pleased with Eli Hodgewall's appointment, although outside of the news stories, there does appear to be some grumbling about it not going to a human, and that a halfing is pound to put the whole city in the poorhouse.

In addition to the major story about the election, a press release is also printed in the same edition:

Quote:
In celebration of the freshly elect Minister of Finance, The Commonwealth Library proudly presents:

Corpus Billiana!

The corpus is a collection of new titles and additional copies of old favorites. You can expect such classics as Geography of Amia, volumes I and II, practical guides like Herbalism of Amia: A Primer, collected works of the famous bard Llewyn Forest, and the family favorite, Letters For Children. The collection is the culimation of months of work in various bookstores and libraries around the region and testament to the spirit of culture and learning the Commonwealth, at its best, can foster. It is our dream that not only can citizens always find useful and edifying literature to suit their needs, but that scholars from far and wide hear of the Gem of the Trackless Sea and how its troves of lore rival those of great Silverymoon or Waterdeep. We acknowledge the magnitude of the work ahead of us and our debt to the libraries and private bibliophiles of the island who donated or allowed us to copy their collections. From northern Kohlingen to far Khem and detached Triumvir, librarians scrambled to our aid. Our local merchants were no slower, and Hill's Bookstore managed to be the second largest contributor at very affordable prices.

I would also like to extend my personal gratitude to my partner, Secretary of the Press William Hurst, whose diligent review and selection of the collected material made this possible. Though he is too modest to admit, let it be known that without his discerning taste many of the new titles would have never reached the hands of the people. This collection is our gift to the Commonwealth. May this small step symbolise the beginning of an era of learning and prosperity under the prudent budgeting of Minister INSERT NAME.

On behalf of the Commonwealth Library,
Consultant Curator Joon of the Binder

Yossarin

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 01 2013, 22:41 PM 

Player

...on the following day, The Amian Recorder features a very small area for corrections, typos, edits and mistakes on the second page.

Yesterday's press release from Joon should have read Eli Hodgewall instead of INSERT NAME.

Bobo_Underhill

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2013, 3:30 AM 

Player

A rather animated Andrew shares the results of the school's straw poll students against the announcement of Eli Hodgewall's landslide victory with his students. Indeed, he goes into great detail about how Eli is the first non-human to become a minister in the entire history of the Commonwealth and how popular the candidates were. His advanced classes are encouraged to participate in a spirited debate to speculate about how Eli will fare as minister of Finance and how his rivals would have done had they won the office instead. Andrew treats his classes to cookies with great 'C's on them, for Cordor. Overall, a nice relaxing day. Well, up until the class was over. As his older students were dismissed, he halted them to assign them homework. They were to assess why Eli's rivals for the position of Minister of Finance failed to garner votes and why Eli's campaign succeeded.

Marigold Cobcruncher: Perceptive Priestess

Xaviera

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 02 2013, 15:54 PM 

Player

On reading of Eli's victory, Xaviera smiles a half-smile and nods slowly then, putting the paper aside, steeples her fingers and touches paired index fingers to her lips gently, sitting quietly in contemplation for several minutes while her cup of tea cools untouched.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]