View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
Gers

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 18 2008, 7:57 AM 

Player

Several small explosions and one large one were heard recently in Cordor's outskirts. Those passing near Holvin's farm would likely hear him grumbling about something involving exploding rats, kobolds, and a missing shirt, in addition to his normal grumbling about kobolds stealing his livestock.

Numerous adventurers have been heard commenting on the situation as well, echoing Holvin's disgruntled words. In addition, there's reports that two dragons were present just after the first explosion, though they reportedly took no hostile action save for scaring the farmer's children out of their wits.

The presence of a pair of mages who appeared to be investigating the matter and speaking with Holvin might also have been noted by those passing by, a few hours after the explosions stopped occuring.

Grymia

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 18 2008, 18:56 PM 

Player

Bryce Aldemann sat in his room in the Tower, going over a few various pieces of evidence gathered during an investigation after the initial incident itself.

The first was an intact but disabled bomb consisting of an alchemical fire flask, and clockwork components serving as a timer. As well, little grains could be seen of what some in Faerun know as Smokepowder.

The second piece was clockwork components, likely the timing mechanism on another bomb that had been found from another blast site. These had been given to him by one Renee Vargas.

Going over these and what he had gathered in the way of information, Bryce set ink to paper and wrote.

------

To the Guard of Cordor:

I present a report as best can be offered based on the bombing incidents of a few days back, along with the results of a follow up investigation.

Firstly, the events themselves: Roughly Midday , (he'd give as close to an exact time and date) , an explosion was heard outside of Northern Cordor, which brought a number of adventurers to the site of Farmer Holvin's farm , where a hold freshly blasted had been discovered. While questions and similar became rather quick paced and hard to keep track of, a second group of adventurers, amongst them a Green Dragon turning out to be an Elven druid by the name of Theos Gend polymorphed came as well to investigate. This caused some measure of panic amongst the children and a few of the lesser experienced adventurers.

One of the questions that was answered was what had been seen prior to the explosion. The young daughter, Cindy I believe her name is had seen something moving in the grasses right before the explosion.

After the Green Dragon/Druid had shifted back into their more humanoid self, a second Dragon had appeared , dug into the hole collected something and flown off not being seen again. This dragon confounded the matters of panic, and was a Shadow Dragon based on what little I could see but I could not be certain.

Shortly after this, a second explosion, closer to the bath house occured, off to the side closest to the Festival grounds. In this hole, Theos had shapeshifted into a Dire Wolf to see if there was anything he could find by scent. Given his reaction, and information I shall bring forward later the likely reason will come to light.

It was at this time when a rat had been spotted not far from the second blast site. Out of habitual instinct and I apologize for this, I opened fire with my shortbow, triggering another explosive. It was realized by more keener eyes that the rat had a bomb on it's back, and shortly after this , Master Gend managed to use his spells to capture a rat intactly. I managed to move in and disable the explosive using skills I'd been taught in my earlier vocation prior to my Arcane studies. After neutralizing the bomb, I'd removed it and m'lord Theos had put the rat into a bag. Given the sounds which came from it, it is reasonable to presume the rat will be no more.

Not long after, a breach had been discovered under one of the walls, and several people had moved to investigate it in greater detail. With the aid of a Hin, his female human companion.. Bridgy I believe he called her, a Priest of Helm who's name escapes me, and Aken Shadowsbane took the disabled device to the Arena to investigate it further. After which time, they had elected to search the sewers based on the insight the device was of Kobold craft , while I elected to head back to the Tower for further study. After some discussion and consideration, I had met up with a colleague and one whom possesses much greater skill in the Arcane arts then I, m'lady Airais. We were going to try to recreate the explosion to deduce why precisely an Alchemical Firebomb device was creating the small but powerful explosions that had been made.

Getting back and finding the Farmer, we obtained permission to use a section of his soil that was out of the way for this recreation. Before carrying such out, m'lady used a superior divination spell and examined the device, noting something had been off. Choosing to cast a spell to increase my clarity of vision briefly, I examined the device a second time to discover grains of Smokepowder inside as well. Electing to retain the bomb for future evidence and reference, we thanked the Farmer for his time and were about to depart when he had mentioned there was some adventurers speaking of another blast site just outside the walls. Remembering the breach, I went with m'lady Airais to the other side of the wall where the breach was and saw white might be argued as a perfect example why one should be wary when working with explosive materials. Specifically, there was a blast site with bits of wood crate, Kobold and also rat corpera strewn about. After this time, and some.. illness on my part I decided it'd be best to begin compiling this very report. M'lady Airais also said she was going to look further into experiments with smokepowder and Alchemist's fire to see if she could offer insight to recreate the explosions.

The Device itself: I will with this report be bringing the disarmed device for further examination. Some details on the device as below:

- The main explosive itself is mostly alchemist's fire though as mentioned in the report, there had been also discovery of grains of smokepowder which were thought to be the source of the explosion, as normally Alchemist's fire is more meant to burn, akin to Tethyrian Napalm. As known, Alchemist's fire is meant to ignite on contact with air, usually created by percussive breach of the container , that is to say, the container strikes the ground or a similar hard object.

- The timing components, while of crude craftmanship are designed ingenuiously. There is a lever arm within which slowly works the cork of the bottle open until such time as the cork is opened, creating the explosive reaction.

- With the device I shall have another set of the clockwork components as obtained by a woman who's name escapes me, however I believe I had heard someone mention it as Renee. These closely match the intact device's clockwork components.

- Given the craftsmanship and similar, Kobolds do seem to be the most likely suspects. As well they are cited to have an enmity with m'lord Holvin, as it seems they seem to capture and harm his cattle, as well as disrupt his crops.

It is my humble recommendation that if possible, the Kobolds be investigated more thoroughly but great care be taken. Given the comparitively more difficult to obtain component of Smokepowder , even grains of it it is reasonable to surmise they could be recieving some form of assistance but from who remains to be seen.

I sign this report and surrender it along with my gathered information in the hopes that the perpetrators are indeed found and brought to justice. If further information is required or you should wish my services on this or any other matter, I am residing at the Tower of Mystra.

Bryce Aldemann

After finishing, Bryce nodded to himself and made sure his multicoloured city robes were appropriate for seeing the Guard before heading off to Cordor to deliver the report.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]