View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 03 2020, 22:43 PM 

Tester

The discussion came up a few days ago when speaking with a few fellow NWN players that now have gone on to or back to P&P. What are some ways to encourage PCs further taking the reigns in story-telling? Is there anything that can be done from either the player side or DM side that can inspire this? Specifically, I'm looking at ways to make it easier for DMs to use PCs as active agents in their stories.

I'll give an example of what I mean. Say you have a PC whose longstanding goal is to become some sort of crime boss. You have another PC who is an aspiring member of the guard looking to break their first big case. As a GM/DM, you might have Crime Boss PC come across a shipment of "lost" goods, while at the same time tipping Guard PC off to who they ought to talk to about recovering it. This, as opposed to a DM simply creating a Crime Boss NPC and a Guard NPC, and PC's being expected to fall in line behind one or the other. Both methods are valid, but from my experience, the former has more often resulted with PCs carrying on a story line long after the DM has stepped away from it. Which is a good thing.

As a disclaimer, this isn't to say that such things can't happen or don't happen already! I've seen and heard a lot of good things that have been generated from the scheduled events and "war meetings" that happened not too long ago. I was mainly reminded when looking through the "Most Memorable Moments" thread that most of mine come from RP that was largely player-driven. Intrigue and battles between factions, long-established PCs tasking others with quests of their own. That sort of thing. It may be a flavor preference when it comes to RP, but it's one that I definitely missed in my later days on the server. It's something easier to do in tabletop because a GM and players would already have had a Session Zero where everyone sort of gets on the same page and knows what the other party is going for. But on Amia, we have PCs that have been around longer than some DMs(which makes it hard to know what their deal is if you're not familiar with them) and PCs created on the fly(which makes it hard for a DM to know how to hook them until and unless they've watched them for a while).

Possible Ideas:

PC Glossary> A collection of PC summaries that DMs can look through that says "Yo, this is the character and I'm open for them playing X roles in stories if needed"
OoC "Wanted" Ads> DMs straight up asking if there is a PC that meets a specific archetype willing to help them with their plot(I.E. sacrifice, murderer/murder victim, outlaw, double agent, etc).
Themed Events> Similar to how we announce events already, DMs at their leisure add tags like #Intrigue #Grimdark #Humor to their announcements to further draw out whatever sort of PCs that might fit into their plans.

Aiseth

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 05 2020, 16:25 PM 

Player

Um. Excuse you!

I have always been a successful plot device. Thank you. 8)

bobofwestoregonusa

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:01 AM 

Player

That's kinda my goal these days with my limited play time. Show up, yell enthusiastically at evil PCs to make them more F U N and play when I can to help.

I usually end up trying to get more involved than I have time for though.

Discord: Metal Viking Guy #5433

DC taxation is theft!

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 09 2020, 18:27 PM 

Player

I agree, to an extent. Lets say that most current plots are designed for specific people in mind already. These plots often take months to resolve and usually involve minimal, sidebar input from outside agencies. There are PC efforts to affect change in these stories however they will ultimately be solved by the people/groups/factions they were designed for. There are often several of these going on at once, and I dare say that DM's are stretched thin at current. I totally get what you are saying though. It would be nice if someone noticed all the intricacies and details put into non-mainline characters and gave them some attention or purpose, outside of the stories they've created for themselves

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

Galenson

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 12 2020, 8:21 AM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

Player-driven RP requires as much work as DM-driven RP. Trust me, I know.

In saying that, do it.

And not just days of our lives RP. Delve into deep RP.

"I'll think of something once Amia:EE drops."

Mahtan

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 12 2020, 14:14 PM 

Player

Yes, this. The more the better.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]