View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
DontKillMePLEASE

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 18 2018, 23:58 PM 

Player

If this is the wrong place feel free to move it or tell me and I can post it there.

In an effort to engage with my fellow Amians more I had some questions for the DM/Dev team and for the players as well.

Questions for the DM/Dev team:

I know there are rules about faction locations, but are there rules for player run establishments not affiliated with a faction?

Specifically: Is it possible and how much would it cost (Gold, DC, Building Suppliss, or other costs) to build a player run tavern in a neutral area easily accessible by all?

Stipulations: I understand that we can't just build new things everytime someone wants them. The idea behind this tavern would be this:

A location where the owner of the tavern could hold events to encourage an RP hotspot free from outside faction influence.

Ideas for events would be like a trivia night, riddle night, maybe some gambling, or even player started quests.

How ownership would work: Much like the rentable housing the owner of the tavern (hopefully me to start) would be required to remain active and or pay some sort of rent per whatever time frame the admins deem fair. If the owner fails to remain active and keep the tavern in use, then the Admin team would have a "landlord" type character allowed to repossess and auction off the property. This ensures that the work put into building the tavern/location never goes to waste, ensures it always has an active owner, and hopefully connects more of the playerbase together by offering a neutral location free of faction violence.

This is just a rough outline of my idea and I wanted to get admin feedback on if it was even possible before I refined it to an actual "request". I think this may of been asked about before but maybe not in this way or maybe the team's view on the idea has shifted with time. Either way, feel free to offer any criticisms.

Survey Portion:

Regardless of whether this idea is allowed or not I still want to take the initiative and host some events, I posted this in the unofficial discord but I thought I might get more eyes here. If you are an active player or a player who might come back to active if these events take place please leave your thoughts on the following:

Is Gold a prize that would get you interested in participating?

What other prizes would interest you?

Are PvP style events of interest to you?

Would you participate in a trivia/riddle night?

Would a scavenger hunt interest you?

Do you prefer singles competitions or do team competitions interest you? (For non pvp events)

Would you come to events hosted at off peak times?

Any suggestions, comments, or criticsm?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Kronox

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 19 2018, 7:02 AM 

Player

Gold is tricky because gold is still very useful to anybody who isn't on a well established character who's had years to perfect their gear, or even those who aren't casters and utilize healing and buffing potions, maybe they buy Master Scout crafts, etc. You look at some characters like Rashad or Rosary and agree that Gold is intrinsically worthless, but most people would enjoy a break from grinding to keep their rent paid if they like houses. Gold is good to me.

What other prizes would interest you?

Some of the more successful prizes were things like a "Djinn Voucher" where the winner of a tournament got a voucher that would cover the cost of anything they wanted from the Djinn (IC). OOC it covered a DC cost of a nice weapon. That worked both IC and OOC and was rather nice. DC related prizes are always quite savory.

Are PvP style events of interest to you?

Sure! Especially if there are quirky interesting rules that nobody would think of or build around. Maybe work at getting some DM assistance with terrain features making things different than a normal cage match. Even a game of chance kind of thing where perhaps it is set up with a Fey roped in who randomly polymorphs each participant into something before they begin. Just something to shake it up rather than "Who's the best powerbuilder with the best gear" kind of game.

Would you participate in a trivia/riddle night?

Absolutely.

Would a scavenger hunt interest you?

I haven't been able to be on for any of Kamina's spontaneous ones, but yeah! They seem fun!

Do you prefer singles competitions or do team competitions interest you? (For non pvp events)

Depends on how many people want to do it, and what's involved. Having various skill checks involved that one character likely wouldn't be able to succeed in all of them would be a cool thing for a team oriented challenge. Search to find the door to the room, open lock to unlock the door, spellcraft to disable to ward, spot to find what you're looking for, then any combination of persuade/bluff/intimidate/(maybe)animal handling. Etc. If there are going to be teams, something where they're necessary and not simply there to be there.

Would you come to events hosted at off peak times?

That's when I play, regardless, so yes! For people with more flexible schedules, often times even if they would not normally be on, if they know something is going to happen, there is increased presence too.

Angelis96

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 20 2018, 23:35 PM 

Player

I thought I would put in my two cents on this questionnaire:

Quote:
I know there are rules about faction locations, but are there rules for player run establishments not affiliated with a faction?

This is something that is indeed possible on a mechanical point of view. As well as has been done before in the past.

Although, as for the rules and what may or may not be allowed now I will leave for the DM-staff to answer.

Quote:
Is it possible and how much would it cost (Gold, DC, Building Supplies, or other costs) to build a player run tavern in a neutral area easily accessible by all?

As I said, I will let the DM-staff answer that kind of question.

Quote:

Personally I'd participate in events PVE, PvP or otherwise regardless of the rewards being offered. At the end of the day, it is a community and I personally prefer to look for opportunities to connect with those in it. This, is one of those examples.

Player run events are an wonderful thing in order to get activity going and investment from the player base. As well as for everyone to just enjoy themselves.

This is also pretty much my same personal answer for the rest of the questions garnering motivation to participate.

Quote:
Any suggestions, comments, or criticism?

Not in the slightest. I think the initiative and thinking about the playerbase and ways in order to motivate them into doing things with one another aside from idling in the dale short of a DM being online is a wonderful thing.

Thank you for that, I look forward to seeing how this idea goes.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 20 2018, 23:44 PM 

Player

This isn't an official team-response, just my opinion (or statement of rulings made) at this stage:

- We generally don't allow for individually built locations. You are free to use one of the houses/shops you can already rent ingame for the purpose though
- If we did allow for a new location it it would likely be ran by some sort of faction. It doesn't need to have any particular goal, but it should at least be somewhat guaranteed that a single player dropping doesn't mean the whole thing needs to be shut down again.
- For the costs, depends on what you want, can't make a blanket statement there, a massive tavern with several layers will be more expensive then a simpler one

As for building limitations, factions aren't necessarily restricted to faction system areas.

That being said I am not opposed to have a sort of trial to see how it goes, but once again, thats my personal opinion and not a ruling.

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

robbi320

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 20 2018, 23:59 PM 

Player

Well, you could, with the new faction rental areas, try that. It's a rather large price-tag, though. Won't neccessarily look like a real tavern, but I bet a creative mind could come up with some cool area design that's a nice mixture of pratical and aethetic.

Otherwise, I admit, I'm with Angelis on the whole "no incentive given". Yeah, you'll likely attract more PCs IC with some incentive, but OOC, there's a few incentives, alongside the fact that we're all here to roleplay. There's a higher chance, objectively speaking, of getting DM attention, you meet more players, (who can also help you with things IC, such as epic loot, or hunting, or stuff) and in general, if you have the time free, there's very little reason to -not- go to such an event, objectively speaking.
Of course, subjective matters are a bit different, but in general, like I told you in the Discord, there's a ton of potential in that. And there's been things like that on and off a lot over the years, because there's so much potential.

Tormak had tourneys, I think Ruce used to do stuff (at least he said to at some point, I think), Grove/Bendir occasionally did stuff, I think, at some point. And I -bet- there's a lot of other cases spread across the history of Amia.

In other words, do it!

Jes

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 21 2018, 15:08 PM 

DM

This reminds me that I have wanted to add more faction area rentals in to various places. You can do a lot with these things, and my recent involvement in an interior building version made me see how amazing more like it could be. I absolutely think this could be done nicely with a faction rental system, if the people involved wanted to do the work of setting up what they want.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

The Little Dragon

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 21 2018, 18:20 PM 

Player

As for the incentives. I think Jes is on the right track with them. Sinfar always keeps me coming back on the high level of customization which you can put into my characters to make them look cool. If we give players more areas which to leave there mark on, they'd feel more incline to join us. As for arelith, one thing I've noticed with it is its mechanical functionality. It has a working market and crafting system which allows people to build things and place them anywhere, And something I've noticed is how easily people can recycle those objects. Lets there is a custom desk which hasn't gotten any use. Someone else can take it and it become a legend. I know I have a few of said object that have lasted six years without anyone destroying them there, and it gives you a feeling to them.
I just want to say that while we can learn from other servers on how they do things, people still want to come here for the roleplay aspect of it, rather than the roleplay lite pvp Arelith, and the roleplay lite social sinfar.

"A master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and not to show discord."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]