View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ] 
Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 4:51 AM 

Player

Salutation friends!

Do you find yourself alone, searching for things to do? Are you often finding yourself wishing that you had friends to hang around with? Do you yearn for that sense of purpose in your life? Have you sat there saying to yourself 'Boy golly I sure do wish I could explore that cave!'?

Well too bad, we don't have anything to help with that. Except maybe the last part.

Without further ado about nothing that matters I welcome you all to the Underdark! Yes, I'm serious. Now I know what you're thinking,
friendo:

'But Mister Naivatkal! Isn't the Underdark filled with vicious man and woman eating creatures that would sooner flay you alive than say hello? My grand pappy used to tell me stories about the things that lived down there! They sure gave me the jeepers!'

And to that I say ... Yer god damn right, son. Sound dangerous? Good! But, you see, we have an ace up our sleeve with this one. Bear with me, this is a radical idea now, but as Ao is my witness it shall work, I tells ya! What's this secret weapon I have, you ask? Well, it's simple:
We shall not be the typical surfacer scum trudging through places they do not belong. Oh, no, for we shall be Underdark races! It's a perfectly insane idea, just like when surfacer scum troll through those places they call 'caves'. There shall be glory and treasure for all!

See what I mean? 'Holy cow, Naivatkal! That's incredible!

And you won't be alone in it, no no! None of us will be alone again. In the darkness we shall rise up! For we shall band together to forge a new era of fear in the name of Lolth!
LOLTH TLU MALLA! ... Ahem. Sorry, got a spider in my throat there.

But yes, as I was saying! This here be an invite to everyone that might be interested in the Underdark but was always worried about not knowing enough about the culture down below. Or perhaps you have been there before and you want to join us again? Maybe you never even wanted to step foot down there!

It doesn't matter your previous inclination towards the Underdark, for I say to you: Come and have some fun! Take a walk on the wild side for a change. One thing all breeds of Underdark players have in common is a welcoming attitude. I never met a UDer that wasn't friendly (OOC), in fact it's part of the reason I fell in love with the UD (other than the fact that the Spider Queen will lay waste to the fell creatures that inhabit the Surface and bring us to our true glory in Her most feared and beautiful name). And so I extend this to you, everyone on the server.

Now I will say a few things. First, pardon my eccentric message. Y'all know I'm a bit of a nutter. Though I am sincere in my desire to gather people for UD shenanigans again. My time to get on Amia is limited, however. While I used to log in ritually every night of the week I new have other commitments and so I am going to try to spare 2-3 nights a week to be available (if not IG, then at the least available to get IG). Also by 'we' I mean me and anyone else currently down there, haha. I know angst360 has a new drow, HUZZAH! And I think I saw another Drow-like name down there.

I don't want to see just Drow though (though I love Drow the most, we have empires to rebuild)! There's plenty of UD races to consider. And not only those, for I have some plans that have been brewing in my head as of late! I'm aiming for more of a loose sort of group, something where we can rely on one another for that delicious are-peas. My times are, as always, something between 8p-12a EST nightly. Fridays and Saturdays are hit or miss.

I think I'm done rambling now.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 4:55 AM 

Player

:: Placeholder ::

waswar

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 5:19 AM 

Player

I'll probably be busy leveling my new Dragon Disciple for the foreseeable . . . I dunno, week and a half or so, but I would absolutely love to take part in Underdark shenanigans once again, if and when I get the opportunity!

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 16:14 PM 

Player

That's one!

Seriously though, sounds good to me. While previously I was the center of the UD (given my character's position) I never wanted to be that central to things. So I am mostly looking to gather us all together and see what happens. I'd love a Drow faction to start up again (huzzah, angst!) but my goal is to not be Drow-exclusive. They will always be my favorite little bastards haha.

angst360

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 16:50 PM 

Player

I find it hilarious that this was posted less than 4 hours after I launched my new drow priestess on the UD & PC Stories forums....

Do I get a dc for triggering this reaction?

angst360

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 17:29 PM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
That's one!

Seriously though, sounds good to me. While previously I was the center of the UD (given my character's position) I never wanted to be that central to things. So I am mostly looking to gather us all together and see what happens. I'd love a Drow faction to start up again (huzzah, angst!) but my goal is to not be Drow-exclusive. They will always be my favorite little bastards haha.

Something completely new and different would be a better way to go.

My plans are different than yours.

Last edited by angst360 on Tue, Oct 02 2018, 19:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.

waswar

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 18:01 PM 

Player

angst360 wrote:
Naivatkal wrote:
That's one!

So, are you planning on rolling up a new char or are you just going to show up with that old and busted priestess who was once a matron but managed to lose her faction, island, and society?. Why isn't she dead?

Something completely new and different would be a better way to go.

My plans are different than yours. It would seem you are proposing the same old stuff that just doesn't work.

In fact, if any of the old name drows show up and act like they are in charge... they will be ignored. Show up and put in the rp work and I might be willing to acknowledge your characters. But if you just pop up with your old/ancient maxed character.... I am just going to ignore you, as if you are a spirit from a long dead corpse that is best forgotten.

It may be best to refer to:

Naivatkal wrote:
My time to get on Amia is limited, however. While I used to log in ritually every night of the week I new have other commitments and so I am going to try to spare 2-3 nights a week to be available (if not IG, then at the least available to get IG).

You might want to consider that people don't have an infinite amount of time to make new characters and get them epic gear, especially not with only 2-3 nights a week lol.

Furthermore, you may wish to take a more accommodating tone in general. I find myself quite heavily deterred from wanting to partake in such a thing due to your unnecessary animosity. Seeing as much of the recent growth has been among older players taking a dive back, your hostility to older players is quite ill-advised, and quite possible counter-productive. I know that if I were going off forum conduct alone, I would not wish to go out of the way roleplay with you, and I can see that if you intend to be the one who holds the reins in the Underdark, well, it is a proper way to get me to rethink my decisions.

Also, the older leaders weren't the problem. Miz'ri, for example, was one of the most effective faction leaders and motivators I might have ever interacted with. She got you into the system quickly, and she delegated work to you in-game, and it's really not the leader's fault if players weren't logging in or doing their tasks. Some, myself included as I was not confident in my knowledge of the lore or my roleplay at the time, weren't ready to help guide the reins when we sparsely logged on with our Drow. And when the leaders had real life take precedence, it's not really one's place to berate them for having things going on.

Can you even pinpoint the time when the Drow community started hemorrhaging players? I heard it was huge back in the day, though that can only endure so much when Udos Drox'un, Edonil, and Ultrinnan were all destroyed. Nec'Perya's difficulties arose from a number of players quitting and never returning after a particular surface raid I had partaken in had failed, as there wasn't really a resurgence of players afterwards.

Fortunately, your final remark, which was quite rude and arrogant, has made me reconsider where I should put my time, considering I'm already committed to something else, and dilution is quite unwise. Especially someone who is going to arbitrarily ignore people who don't go along with their specific demands of roleplay.

angst360

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 18:06 PM 

Player

I have marked you down as not interested. Thanks for the reply.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 18:23 PM 

Player

You do realize that this thread was meant to help you (not just you, obviously, but most certainly you considering your character's appearance), right? My intention is to generate UD activity, not 'throw my weight around', as it were. That's not fun for anyone. It's pretty offensive that you went into attack mode without provocation. My goal is to help foster activity. This whole idea has been on my mind for months now, and I have the time to actually think about it. You were just a happy coincidence in the matter, and I wanted to help generate activity.

I'd appreciate you remove your unwarranted hostility from this thread.

waswar

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 18:35 PM 

Player

Let's be more accurate after a reply like that, angsty darling, I'm not currently interested with what you're offering at this time.

Especially if you're not offering people 37 Dream Coins and free epic loot to instantly make characters to meet your demands.

ZoltanTheRed

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 18:36 PM 

Player

angst360 wrote:

Wow. I don't do this often, but your comments in this thread were unwarranted and toxic. Cool your jets.

angst360

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 18:43 PM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
You do realize that this thread was meant to help you (not just you, obviously, but most certainly you considering your character's appearance), right? My intention is to generate UD activity, not 'throw my weight around', as it were. That's not fun for anyone. It's pretty offensive that you went into attack mode without provocation. My goal is to help foster activity. This whole idea has been on my mind for months now, and I have the time to actually think about it. You were just a happy coincidence in the matter, and I wanted to help generate activity.

Oh, I see...

I wish you would have approached me before you decided to 'help' me, you know by deciding what days are best and who is to be included, etc.

This thread is a blatant attempt to hi-jack my plot.

The time stamps of my posts prove it.

If you remove your initial post, have this thread locked or removed, and back away from the situation... I will then retract my statement.

Now, if anyone else wants to 'help' me, please ask if I require your help before you begin making unilateral decisions involving my characters and my plots.

Last edited by angst360 on Tue, Oct 02 2018, 18:46 PM, edited 1 time in total.

angst360

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 18:45 PM 

Player

ZoltanTheRed wrote:
angst360 wrote:

Wow. I don't do this often, but your comments in this thread were unwarranted and toxic. Cool your jets.

Sorry, I have said all I that is left to say. I will go back to minding my own business.

ZoltanTheRed

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 18:46 PM 

Player

angst360 wrote:

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 18:47 PM 

Player

I think we all can say we want the same thing, lets calm down girls and guys! :)

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

waswar

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 18:58 PM 

Player

angst360 wrote:
Naivatkal wrote:

Oh, I see...

I wish you would have approached me before you decided to 'help' me, you know by deciding what days are best and who is to be included, etc.

The time stamps of my posts prove it.

If you remove your initial post, have this thread locked or removed, and back away from the situation... I will then retract my statement.

Now, if anyone else wants to 'help' me, please ask if I require your help before you begin making unilateral decisions involving my characters and my plots.

This is one of the most laughably unintelligent posts I have seen at any time, ever. Unfortunately, my positive to desire to laugh it mitigated by the fact that you're actually asserting these things. I dearly hope you are trolling, because your conduct is really quite appalling. Currently, the only thing more dissatisfactory than your conduct happens to be your ego.

The fact that Naivatkal posted this thread and mentioned you is due to the probability that he saw your post, and was quite elated by it, as he's been wanting to find the time to do Underdark roleplay. He was praising you and your initiative, and asking for others to become involved.

Not only that, but you don't even understand what he means by helping you. He saw it in the self-interest of the server, and of Underdark roleplayers including yourself by extension to bring more activity. The fact that you think this is solely about you is absolutely ridiculous, and baseless, and it makes your continued hostility more asinine.

Now, even if you don't like it, he might like having more players. Others like me, might like to get involved. Naivatkal is a lovely person and an excellent roleplayer, and many of us can know to expect quality from him.

I believe you are quite an unintelligent and maladroit individual. I believe you are these things because you misinterpreted positive attention and a call to Underdark activity as a hijacking of your "plots". This also means that you're egotistical. You literally made a post basically asking for activity, and then turn around and scream hysterically when someone does the same at an OOC level to motivate new and returning players, because you think he's "stealing control", or some other absurdity.

Unfortunately, it is quite likely that everything in this thread has been derailed. Not just Naivatkal's amazing initiative to try and draw more Underdark roleplay, but your own, likely-nonexistent plot due to your self-presentation as an egomaniac.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 18:58 PM 

Player

I think you said a little too much angst360. Curb the attitude, and stop abusing your fellow players.

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

robbi320

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 18:59 PM 

Player

angst360 wrote:

The way you're going on? Yeah, shouldn't be too long until it's locked. kek

Anyway, I'll probably read up on my Lolth lore a bit, see uf this might be more interesting than my current plans... That said, I'm not the best person for Drow, so I'm still unsure. That said, there's certain players I'd rather paly with than others, all just based off this one topic...

Lutra

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 19:06 PM 

Player

well..this comes to all. I wouldn't want to see a drow uprising as per my earlier post on UD initiatives. Let me know if there is any question on the state of the UD.

angst360

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 19:08 PM 

Player

Tarnus wrote:
I think you said a little too much angst360. Curb the attitude, and stop abusing your fellow players.

Noted.

Is there a formal process for filing a complaint against a plot hi-jack? I am sure that would be the better route to take.

angst360

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 19:11 PM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:

Ok, I will do this. I apologize for my approach. I did not mean it personally.

waswar

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 19:15 PM 

Player

Such a thing is non-existent. If you wish to be the sole leader of a society based off of noble houses vying for power, and be completely immune to having threats to your power take place, then your choice in making a Lolthite Drow is rather curious.

Not to mention, you have never submitted a public plot at any time, ever. Unless you leaked one, it is quite impossible that it was purposefully hijacked, and providing aid and players to the Underdark is not a purposeful hijacking of a plot no one knows about, but instead an enrichment of an entire part of a server that you are not the sole owner of. Instead, it may be more worth your time to humble yourself about all these matters.

The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 19:20 PM 

Player

Please be civil. There is already too much hate in the world.

robbi320

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 19:21 PM 

Player

Lutra wrote:
well..this comes to all. I wouldn't want to see a drow uprising as per my earlier post on UD initiatives. Let me know if there is any question on the state of the UD.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that... "You guys shouldn't make Drow"? That's what it came off as, to me... Or do you mean uprising by Drow-only?

And I'm not sure which post you're talking about, sorry. :(

waswar

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 19:23 PM 

Player

The Doctor wrote:
Please be civil. There is already too much hate in the world.

That's a curious post darling, I don't see any hate around. Being terse is not antithetical to being calm, collected, and amiable, lol.

Tarnus

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 19:44 PM 

Player

angst360 wrote:
Tarnus wrote:

Noted.

Is there a formal process for filing a complaint against a plot hi-jack? I am sure that would be the better route to take.

We have never exactly had rules on "owning plots" in the first place and while there might be things not in our rules covered by our general agreements as a community (see here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=55956&p=918582#p918582 and here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=55956&p=918583#p918583 ) inviting people to rp in a location is by no means a violation of any of that.

DM Prometheus: Bringing you fire

angst360

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 19:47 PM 

Player

I suppose it would be a good idea to tell you all why I have reacted in the manner I have reacted.

I used to play and DM… on a small server that had a level cap at lvl 10. You could not advance beyond level 10 until you built a reputation for a fully fleshed-out character. The main goal was character development.

When that place folded, I came to amia and met a couple really nice people (who are no longer around) and had hoped I had found a new home. But I was never able to fit in. I suppose it was coming from a different place that had a different set of expectations and mentality.

I do not communicate with anyone from the game servers I play on via private correspondence. No discord servers, no skype sessions. I had a bad experience with someone a long time ago and now conduct myself in a private manner. I have no rl friends on this server, nor do I desire them. I just want to have fun online and then go back to my life. I can seperate ooc from rl decently.

I had this idea the other day for a young drow priestess whose journey was to pull herself up by the boot straps and ‘attempt’ to restore some order to her followers and religion. Its a long and drawn out path that will probably fail. I accept it.

I am not playing this in the standard fashion that most of you play, because honestly, in my 5 years of playing here I have yet to be involved in anything of note. I have tried lots of things with lots of people (who are no longer around), but they never seem to work out for one reason or another. I am doing it my way. If you disapprove, I am sorry … but I am the one playing my character.

This thread smells a lot like a hi-jack of the only serious rp plans I have had in a very long time. Much is being revealed about what I am up against in this thread. That’s fine.

Going into this, I knew there would be those who would work ooc to thwart me, because they do not want what they ‘think’ this plot is about. I experienced this during my last big plot idea about 2 years ago…. A big problem is that they do not understand what I am actually doing, nor will I broadcast my true motives and hopes for fear of being meta-gamed. If you want to know more about this what my plans are you are going to have to spend time rp’ing with me. Its the only way.

waswar

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 19:54 PM 

Player

I don't think anyone is disapproving of what you're doing with this character of yours. You can do whatever you want. It's more the OOC basis of your accusations of hijacking combined with your assertion that you'll ignore old returning Drow that I have come to strongly oppose, but those are OOC issues, and have nothing to do with in-character interaction.

Hijacking makes it seem like people are taking over your plot out of nowhere. I do not believe that is the case, whatsoever. No one in this thread has stated that they're taking over your operations. And, honestly, because you wish to keep yourself so secret, which is fine, but, if you don't tell people what's going on, they'll have no clue that they're inadvertently stepping on your toes, or doing what you perceive to be, stepping on your toes.

I believe it is quite probable that people simply saw your post, and thought it was a good opportunity to encourage more Drow roleplay. Now, if your disappointed that returning and new Drow players would be part of a different directive to reinvigorate the Underdark as a whole, rather than be part of your faction, that's fine, but I do not believe that qualifies as a hijacking. Just because different parties may have an interest in playing Drow or Underdarker factions does not mean that their creation is out of a malice to take over your plot, but simply to repopulate that part of the server.

angst360

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 20:02 PM 

Player

Tarnus wrote:
angst360 wrote:
Tarnus wrote:

Noted.

We have never exactly had rules on "owning plots" in the first place and while there might be things not in our rules covered by our general agreements as a community (see here http://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtop ... 82#p918582 and here http://www.amiaworld.net/phpBB3/viewtop ... 83#p918583 ) inviting people to rp in a location is by no means a violation of any of that.

I am operating under the notion that every character has a plot of their own that is comprised of their backstory and their hopes and aspirations. When I was saying plot I wasn't implying a global initiative that is run by a dm. Please excuse my ignorance: In 5 years, I have only ever interacted with an amian dm once in an rp capacity. Once. I guess I haven't done anyting that attracts them.. er, in a positive way. The way this place is run is quite different than the server where I was a DM. For one thing, we weren't a tight-nit group that has played together for well over a decade like a lot of folks on here. I can't seem to get traction here with my rp, so I operate on the fringes. My friends and I DM ourselves through little adventurers. There is no glory or reward... other than the fun we have together.

PuresoulX2

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 20:13 PM 

Player

This thread.. Wow.

This went from a friendly invite into a toxic barrel of fun, didn't it? What is with the animosity toward older players? I see some growing up needs to be done.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 20:19 PM 

Player

I'm thinking Lutra is referring to this thread: viewtopic.php?p=1417113#p1417113

In any case, I'd like to have the conversation steered back towards the purpose of this thread: discussion about the UD. If you are curious about it, feel free to post your questions! I don't know everything, and honestly I'm hoping others will chime in with advice. My goal is to promote some healthy activity down below because it's the bast damn place in all of Faerun!

I would love to see new and old UDers come together to talk about things, and even get in game. I know there has been a lot of nervousness (for lack of a better term) about the UD in the past and I want to assuage people's fears. Heck, when I started I shrugged off the advice of starting with a male Drow first and went straight for a priestess! And it actually ended up awesome. A lot of the worries about Drow RP/culture can be smoothed out just by people being friendly OOC. Everyone I met when I started was friendly OOC, and that was the important thing.

No matter how things go IC, we make up for it int he OOC. Heck, even rocking a scary as fuck Ul'ath'tallar I (and I saw matrons do it as well!) IC forgave people's mistakes based on lack of OOC knowledge, because you can't hold lack of knowledge against someone :) I know Drow RP can be intimidating as hell what with the culture and language and all that. But I honestly never saw a player get upset at another for not knowing what Vendui, malla Ust'ilharess means (btw it means 'Hello, honored First Matron'). In fact, I've seen players ask OOC (either in Talk or Tells) about what something means, and everyone was always happily informative about it.

And I know I'm mostly talking about Drow in this post, but that's just because of the predominant conversation going on. This goes for all UD races, I'm sure! Personally I will always be welcoming to a UD race (hell, I'm welcoming to any player) though my character's IC standpoint might differ haha. I don't even care if a faction is started or not, I just want to see activity.

robbi320 wrote:
Anyway, I'll probably read up on my Lolth lore a bit, see uf this might be more interesting than my current plans... That said, I'm not the best person for Drow, so I'm still unsure.

And just to roll things along a little, I want to reinforce what I said before: Don't let a lack of knowledge get you down. You can honestly just know the basics to get you started. Or, even, go non Drow, there's plenty of ways to get involved in the Underdark. And that's what this thread is for, too! You can ask all the questions you want.

And don't forget, folks!

PuresoulX2

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 20:22 PM 

Player

Well, I have an Orog Sorcerer that has been sitting around. Though I prefer the use of my chromatic given she already visits the underdark frequently.

Kamina

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 20:23 PM 

Player

*Epic Dodges the toxicity while Tarnus deals with it*

Maybe I should roll a Duergar? Image

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

waswar

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 20:27 PM 

Player

angst360 wrote:
I am operating under the notion that every character has a plot of their own that is comprised of their backstory and their hopes and aspirations. When I was saying plot I wasn't implying a global initiative that is run by a dm. Please excuse my ignorance: In 5 years, I have only ever interacted with an amian dm once in an rp capacity. Once. I guess I haven't done anyting that attracts them.. er, in a positive way. The way this place is run is quite different than the server where I was a DM. For one thing, we weren't a tight-nit group that has played together for well over a decade like a lot of folks on here. I can't seem to get traction here with my rp, so I operate on the fringes. My friends and I DM ourselves through little adventurers. There is no glory or reward... other than the fun we have together.

I'm glad you clarified that, because there's a lot in which we can agree on with that in mind.

I know what you mean with friends not sticking around or wanting to come one. And with the DM's, it's unfortunately the case where events are a bit infrequent, and you'll have to seek them out when the text appears. Not only that, but in many cases, they're in quite a restrictive area, such as Kohlingen, where it seems more individuals are banned than otherwise.

That's not an individual problem, so please don't think you're singled out in that regards. The DM's have their assigned areas, but not every area is assigned a DM, and some DM's simply have more time than others, which does lead to a disparity such as Kohlingen receiving a disproportionately high amount of events, or at least DM snippets, than most of the rest of the server. This even occured with well-established factions such as Fort Summer and Tarkuul, unfortunately. Thankfully, "general" events are still quite ripe and seem to be popping up more and more again.

The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 20:40 PM 

Player

Hmmmmmm... Thayan Merchants? Got one of those....

Hobgobs? Oh yeah I got a druid one of those!

UD RP? Sure, why not!

angst360

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 20:42 PM 

Player

PuresoulX2 wrote:
This thread.. Wow.

This went from a friendly invite into a toxic barrel of fun, didn't it? What is with the animosity toward older players? I see some growing up needs to be done.

Having had numerous conversations over the years...

I believe it is the perception by your newcomer/outsider that the relationships established by those who remember 'back in the day' together hinder the opportunities of those who came along later. This might just be bitterness or a product of their own shortcomings. Anyway, those long lasting relationships, while important for the overall health of the server by providing a core group, also hurt the server in attracting new players who have a story they want to tell. It can be discouraging. It's a difficult balance and basic human nature.

Older players who feel that older characters are entitled to a life time hegemony of certain aspects of the server (because they were there first) is a subgroup of the core group and a real problem for the future growth of any server.

Kamina

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 20:43 PM 

Player

waswar wrote:
That's not an individual problem, so please don't think you're singled out in that regards. The DM's have their assigned areas, but not every area is assigned a DM, and some DM's simply have more time than others, which does lead to a disparity such as Kohlingen receiving a disproportionately high amount of events, or at least DM snippets, than most of the rest of the server.

I know this isn't an attack on myself but I thought I'd respond just while it's up.

Kohlingen's frequency of events, which surprisingly isn't the first time I've had someone mention it lately, is simple due to my availability. I was actually approached by a couple of players from the faction as their previous DM has been inactive due to IRL issues, so it just so happened when I was asked I 1. was able to play in their playtimes, 2. had no active PCs in their faction and lastly 3. had a very nice briefing from the previous DM to catch me up.

As you said not all DMs will specialise in areas, and the UD has received support in the past which evidently may become needed in future.

Lastly the two-fold issue of no DM present can be solved by simply PMing us to arrange some times for oversight alongside just using screenshots etc to help us know you're active in the case of world-building and NPC reactions etc.

when met"

PuresoulX2

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 20:57 PM 

Player

angst360 wrote:
PuresoulX2 wrote:
This thread.. Wow.

I believe it is the perception by your newcomer/outsider that the relationships established by those who remember 'back in the day' together hinder the opportunities of those who came along later. This might just be bitterness or a product of their own shortcomings. Anyway, those long lasting relationships, while important for the overall health of the server by providing a core group, also hurt the server in attracting new players who have a story they want to tell. It can be discouraging. It's a difficult balance and basic human nature.

Older players who feel that older characters are entitled to a life time hegemony of certain aspects of the server (because they were there first) is a subgroup of the core group and a real problem for the future growth of any server.

Back in the day I was busy role playing with people regardless if they were new or not. I never hindered the opportunities of other players.

I'm not sure how you got to thinking the characters of older players are entitled to dominance over parts of the server? My old character Devlin Faramond controls nothing, owns nothing and may never get out of unemployment at as it stands. Sure, I feel like Devlin has become forgotten despite all his achievements but I'm not going to feel he is entitled to a kingdom of his own.

Jes

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 20:58 PM 

DM

To add to the DM/events comment:

Most people over the years don't see the ups and downs, or the massively long periods of DM absence that places they don't RP in see. Kohl players have had tons of frustration in the past regarding their go-to DM disappearing for RL and not being able to handle anything because of it. An entire alliance between settlements fell apart partially due to just this problem, and has still left a huge schism between the two places. Which is all well and good for RP, but incredibly frustrating OOC when you know one side's IC reactions refer to things that could have been addressed by an attentive DM.

And I'm not blaming any DM for that stuff, either, as RL always comes first and it's just something we'll have to deal with as best we can now.

And events? As the current leader of the Kohl faction, I've been basically harassing poor Kamina for setting up the things the Defenders are currently doing with the plot he started. And the rest of the players there (and those they've dragged into the fold from outside Kohl) are being incredibly proactive, and it makes me happy to see everyone getting their hands into it and being involved in and out of the faction. It is so player-driven there right now, and Kamina has been kind enough to keep up with our demands (requests!).

One thing I want to touch on regarding the relationship between DMs and players is that over the years I've had so many people comment about their apprehension to approach DMs for things. There is usually a decent reason for that, but I will always encourage people to not be afraid to reach out. And if the DM you reach out to doesn't answer, ask someone else. Be persistent. You'll eventually find a DM who's as passionate about a particular subject as you are and will be utterly happy to help you terrori- I mean build a story.

Don't be afraid to put yourself out there. As a player who's been around forever, I know I might come off as "Yeah, easier said than done" but trust me. We're a community here, and all we want is to create stories together.

(Also, the Underdark is totally not my thing. But I would love to see it blossom. Kudos to Naiv and others for reaching out with initiatives as you have!)

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

waswar

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 21:06 PM 

Player

angst360 wrote:
PuresoulX2 wrote:
This thread.. Wow.

I think people are more misinterpreting your initial statements, taking them less as "If older players do specific things s their characters", and more as "If older players play their old character or different people try to take leadership positions, I'll just ignore them". Take my defense less as the imposition that older player should do that, and more along the lines that older players should be able to get involved, and, due to the unnecessarily long grind Amia presents, making newer characters isn't realistic unless we want factions to be ran by level 12 player characters, which presents a major problem as soon as a threat of any nature, PC or NPC, even farts in their direction.

Kamina wrote:
Kohlingen's frequency of events, which surprisingly isn't the first time I've had someone mention it lately, is simple due to my availability. I was actually approached by a couple of players from the faction as their previous DM has been inactive due to IRL issues, so it just so happened when I was asked I 1. was able to play in their playtimes, 2. had no active PCs in their faction and lastly 3. had a very nice briefing from the previous DM to catch me up.

As you said not all DMs will specialise in areas, and the UD has received support in the past which evidently may become needed in future.

Lastly the two-fold issue of no DM present can be solved by simply PMing us to arrange some times for oversight alongside just using screenshots etc to help us know you're active in the case of world-building and NPC reactions etc.

I hope that's true, there's been a few, sort of mixed signals when it comes to requesting DM stuff in areas such as Cordor, which I believe does not have specific DM's supporting it right now. Whole thing had me thinking of the evil thread where people were telling evil players "Well, if you want a base, just start with a neutral one like Cordor", where suddenly such a thing is less possible, but, fair enough.

Anyway, I wasn't criticizing yourself in that regard, I know in the past that if you wanted work done, you primarily had to see the DM that specifically ran your area, so obviously activity wanes and waxes on whatever the DM may need to occupy themselves with during a whole period of time.

PuresoulX2

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 21:11 PM 

Player

Jes wrote:

Most people over the years don't see the ups and downs, or the massively long periods of DM absence that places they don't RP in see. Kohl players have had tons of frustration in the past regarding their go-to DM disappearing for RL and not being able to handle anything because of it. An entire alliance between settlements fell apart partially due to just this problem, and has still left a huge schism between the two places. Which is all well and good for RP, but incredibly frustrating OOC when you know one side's IC reactions refer to things that could have been addressed by an attentive DM.

And I'm not blaming any DM for that stuff, either, as RL always comes first and it's just something we'll have to deal with as best we can now.

And events? As the current leader of the Kohl faction, I've been basically harassing poor Kamina for setting up the things the Defenders are currently doing with the plot he started. And the rest of the players there (and those they've dragged into the fold from outside Kohl) are being incredibly proactive, and it makes me happy to see everyone getting their hands into it and being involved in and out of the faction. It is so player-driven there right now, and Kamina has been kind enough to keep up with our demands (requests!).

One thing I want to touch on regarding the relationship between DMs and players is that over the years I've had so many people comment about their apprehension to approach DMs for things. There is usually a decent reason for that, but I will always encourage people to not be afraid to reach out. And if the DM you reach out to doesn't answer, ask someone else. Be persistent. You'll eventually find a DM who's as passionate about a particular subject as you are and will be utterly happy to help you terrori- I mean build a story.

Don't be afraid to put yourself out there. As a player who's been around forever, I know I might come off as "Yeah, easier said than done" but trust me. We're a community here, and all we want is to create stories together.

(Also, the Underdark is totally not my thing. But I would love to see it blossom. Kudos to Naiv and others for reaching out with initiatives as you have!)

Unfortunately, some players trust in amian DMs eroded long ago due to mistreatment and straight up maliciousness. I won't lie that me and some others still have some DMphobia from the past. Approaching a DM for anything or attending their events at times can make you extremely paranoid. Funny that.

Kamina

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 21:18 PM 

Player

waswar wrote:
I hope that's true, there's been a few, sort of mixed signals when it comes to requesting DM stuff in areas such as Cordor, which I believe does not have specific DM's supporting it right now. Whole thing had me thinking of the evil thread where people were telling evil players "Well, if you want a base, just start with a neutral one like Cordor", where suddenly such a thing is less possible, but, fair enough.

There's a blossoming evil faction currently that did that, just not in Cordor. :wink: They're pretty active too.

when met"

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 02 2018, 21:45 PM 

Player

PuresoulX2 wrote:
Jes wrote:

Unfortunately, some players trust in amian DMs eroded long ago due to mistreatment and straight up maliciousness. I won't lie that me and some others still have some DMphobia from the past. Approaching a DM for anything or attending their events at times can make you extremely paranoid. Funny that.

I had my share of that, and I was really paranoid around the DMs for a while, but I honestly think our current crew is grounded and down to earth. One can argue with them and not get a ban or be seen from above. I think our community now is much more well structure and friendly compared to years ago. I think we should keep going for that. :D

Gremin

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09 2018, 22:09 PM 

Player

I see nothings changed around here....

Budly

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 09 2018, 22:13 PM 

Player

Gremin wrote:

I can honestly tell you that things are not remotely even close to a little better, they are much much much more better than Amia used to be. I think the server as a community as matured significantly. We have our run ins, I love to say my mind out loud but In the end we all play here to have fun and spend time with interesting folks. It is better, it is stronger, and the numbers are growing. Do not let one thread dictate how it all is. :)

waswar

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 10 2018, 2:15 AM 

Player

Gremin wrote:

Why, quite a lot has changed, actually.

Galenson

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 05 2018, 16:37 PM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

Going back on Laktavian's desire to keep this thread undedark focused...

Don't be apprehensive in giving the Underdark a go.

Understanding that the Underdark is an acquired taste is a good thing in a double edged kind of way. Accepting that its not everyone's cup of tea pushes those who are passionate about the setting to become more encouraging towards those people who are interested to give it a go.

Also understanding that complexity, evil and selfish are traits that are challenging to role play is also a good thing: when you pull it off, it is an incredibly rewarding experience that makes all of the character prep and thumb twiddling worth it.

Despite being equally criticised for my character and the role he's had in past affairs, playing the Scholar was one of the most rewarding role play challenges I've ever had in this hobby and I would never have discovered that if I didn't give it a go.

"I'll think of something once Amia:EE drops."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]