View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 24 2017, 6:45 AM 

Player

So I worked some on the lootbins, mostly to hopefully help the low levels more. I did not change too much on the higher bins. The statues won't be in yet, this will take me quite some time to write all the bios and I did not want the more urgent fixes to have to wait for that.

Mind, this is not in yet, but will go in with the next update. Here is what I did, for the sake of more transparency:

- I changed a few items on the +1 and +2 Lootbin to be more universally useful and at the same time better for sale. For example if a weapon was only +2 enhance vs. orcs and 1d8 dmg vs orcs, I kept the 1d8 dmg vs. orcs ut made it universally +2 enhancement. This increases the value of the item (for selling) but also makes it more universally usable. This was mostly on A, B still has the old lootbin.
- Added a few hopefully universally helpful items. +1 and +2 full plate and tower shield, couple of +1 weapons where commonly used weapons were missing. Worst case they should not sell too poorly. Also added a few of the 15/- elemental robes to the very low (+1) bin.
- I removed the Paladin Lance, as a 0 damage item it was useless, sorry. A paladin is not a buffer. There was simply no way I could fix this <.<
- The spellslot items for the actual casters I modified only slightly, most getting +1 spellslot, making them a bit more valuable gold wise and a bit longer usable.
- I removed all BoT books and pages. Raua made a merchant that will sell them (cheap) and we will place the merchant in various locations. While once a great idea when we had 70+ players to trade and gift the pages, nowdays it is just a pain as you usually do not get what you need on the charas who need it but get plenty of it on the charas who do not. That said, I think logic commands someone meanwhile collected that stuf and started a business :P
- I removed any and all Light gems from any and all loot bins.
- I re-added all (and this time really ALL) light gems to the +2 loot bin and increased their gold value, so they should now sell around the 2k mark.
- I removed the Hekaton Shield from the +3 Lootbin, it does not belong there.
- I added the Hekaton Shield to the +4 Lootbin on A and B!
- I also added the Maskarran Reglia, Fire Lords Curicass, the large shield of the Meek, large sheeld of Royalty and large shield of black lion to the +4 lootbin on B (so far was only on A)
- I removed a couple of unnecessary alignment restrictions (at least when I noticed them)

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 24 2017, 6:53 AM 

Player

As a small advise for our players who have not played the crazy out of the server yet and struggle finding their weapon/armor on low level:

Kampo (shady merchant) and
Caraigh (first settlement area, dwarven merchant)

are both generic +1 stores.

This means they spawn an array of random armors and weapons and shields which all are +1 enhance and 1d4 elemental damage (5/- elemental resist for armor/shields).

While what you get is luck, they spawn fresh items every hour, so if you check every now and then you usually find your armor type/weapon type of choice pretty quickly and the weapons at least will last rather well through the first 10 or so levels.

At the very least, the items in the +1 and +2 bin should give a bit more gold now, to help obtain what you want. I left the potions and heal hits and scrolls in, because I honestly find them helpful when leveling.

I have been promoting for a time to add more of the generic +2 (currently one in Nes'ek ableit without weapons) and +3 ones (currently in Zanshibon) over the server. I hope we actually manage to do that soon-ish.

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 24 2017, 14:04 PM 

Player

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
That said, I think logic commands someone meanwhile collected that stuf and started a business :P

I did for awhile, but nobody was buying it even for a reasonable price... At least I can stop carrying around these silly books now!

Quote:
- I removed the Hekaton Shield from the +3 Lootbin, it does not belong there.
- I added the Hekaton Shield to the +4 Lootbin on A and B!

Might want to check if said lootbin even exists "in the wild," because I've killed everywhere and bought from everyone and neither I or anyone I've asked have ever even seen the thing.

Quote:
- I also added the Maskarran Reglia, Fire Lords Curicass, the large shield of the Meek, large sheeld of Royalty and large shield of black lion to the +4 lootbin on B (so far was only on A)

Don't think there was any on A either after Illithid got deleted.

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 24 2017, 15:53 PM 

Player

The Hekaton shield dropped at Beastmen on A and the maskarran regalia and curicass at ilithid and beholder (or had a chance to, mind there’s quite a few items in the bin)

Anyways, those will all drop on B now too, after the update.

Lord-Jyssev

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 24 2017, 16:25 PM 

Developer

These changes look awesome! Thanks for taking the time to do them. I'm already looking forward to never having to lament about getting a light gem instead of actual loot.

robbi320

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 24 2017, 17:17 PM 

Player

I liked the way the Book of Transmutation was made, but only as long as I didn't need one. Which says quite a bit about the current sytstem. Farija got a nice price for a full one, 200.000, but on a caster, if Rashad wasn't around, and you were unlucky, you could go quite a while before ever seeing a book, simply because they were only in the lower loot tiers. So you hoped you got one from orcs or lower, or you hoped a spurt of alts comes around, and you can buy their old loot from Hil'Rash.

That said, I feel like the system could be overhauled a bit. If it weren't for the recent request with 'Flame Weapon Ice Breath' for a Silver RDD, I'd say merchants should just sell a single item, and the descrition shouldn't say that it's missing pages. (which might be how it was planned anyway, but it wasn't clear in the OP)
It just seems weird that you're running around with an incomplete book, but there are no new pages to be found...

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 24 2017, 17:46 PM 

Tester

I always wished we could incorporate making BoT's and pages into the Arcanist Job. It fits the job description pretty well.

Alas, that's tied up in the Job System. Perhaps eventually. For now, people still need a way to gain access to the pages, so I guess a merchant works. It does make me a bit sad however as my PC has collected about a dozen full books to hand out as reward or favor to young arcanists.

Regarding the loot changes, those all sound like very good deals.

maglorine

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 24 2017, 20:16 PM 

Player

This is all great! A minor suggestion:

:arrow: +2 and/or +3 Random Weapons merchant who carries a full selection of both Ranged and Melee.

Personally I think there's a bit of a gap in the 10-20 level range this would help fill.

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 25 2017, 17:12 PM 

Player

As someone who is -incredibly- biased on the matter, I'd say I like all those changes except for the books of transmutation one.

Saya possesses about 24 or 25 complete transmutation books for sale, have easily sold 20 of these in the time I've been playing on Amia (and some recently), and have had to stop collecting the pages and empty books from Hil'rash shop only because I already had too many and not enough people looking for them.

That means they were not hard to find at all... if anything, if someone had trouble to fill that book, it's either because they weren't looking at Hil'rash wares, or they were unlucky enough that they passed after Saya checked the shop and had her addiction / obsession prevent others from obtaining the pages and books <.<

(P.s. Sold those books 100 to 120k each.. so unless the prices are kinda high and the shops annoying to get to.. then there is a slim hint of a tiny little bit of anger in me :D)

LordAzack

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 25 2017, 18:08 PM 

Player

Agree with DA and Mushi.

Maybe make them easier to get but not from a shop. Or have some pages in the shop yet others that need to be found or icly sold or as DA and I have done. Gift them to arcanists up and coming.

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 25 2017, 18:32 PM 

Player

Sorry, but I rather not have our player base depend on a single player being around and selling them.

And on low level the ability page is very very helpful and you do not have 120k there. (among other pages)

I see how this is annoying for you.

But annoying for you vs. annoying for every leveling lowbie....

Jes

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 25 2017, 18:58 PM 

DM

120k is a ridiculous amount to pay for a book that no one will need all of the pages for. xD That's why my characters always passed on them. Especially since I give them away.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Mushidoz

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 25 2017, 21:55 PM 

Player

Jes wrote:
120k is a ridiculous amount to pay for a book that no one will need all of the pages for. xD That's why my characters always passed on them. Especially since I give them away.

Point of view I guess :D The complete book helps a character to be stronger / more versatile / more useful in circumstances they wouldn't be (as much) without the book. This thus helps them fight in areas where money will go up faster, thus make it so that the book is paid in full faster :D From that amount, you also need to deduct the actual cost of each page if they were to buy it from Hil'rash (the way Saya did to get said complete book), the items you're not going to have in your share if you are with people and trade them against pages you don't have, -AND- it is a hassle to some (while fun for others).

All in all, those who bought the complete books for 100 or 120k paid for the service and so that they don't have to wait / do it themselves :D And we're talking caster classes too, characters who poop money when they cough because their total initial preparation expense when going out is a big absolute 0 gold and their broken summons just near solo everything up to level 30.

There's also the times Saya actually bargained the books in exchange for services... ^^

Amarice-Elaraliel wrote:
Sorry, but I rather not have our player base depend on a single player being around and selling them.

And on low level the ability page is very very helpful and you do not have 120k there. (among other pages)

I see how this is annoying for you.

But annoying for you vs. annoying for every leveling lowbie....

My point was that even though I stopped gathering those as seriously as I used to, that I managed to complete almost two books in the last 2 weeks, WITHOUT trying, and WITHOUT hunting (just checking Hil'rash). From no-book to two near complete books, and that's with someone who's logged once in the last week (super busy irl).

These aren't difficult to fill out, and I personally found it was quite fun to do (hence why I even began to gather the pages on Saya despite her not using said book). I also doubt I'm the only one who has books of transmutation at their disposal, and I recall several instances where bargaining / trading services / promises against one of those books produced some pretty nice roleplay opportunities, both to newbies and higher level characters (since Saya doesn't give a crap about gold).

Dunno, no clue why you're changing this cool feature into something that's gonna be mindlessly boring. I don't buy into the "lowbies can't fill those books" because I do it incredibly easy with Saya (without hunting) and I noticed with my sides that it'd been even easier for them (since they do go out hunting... but they're not in the book-filling adventure like Saya was). And I'm not going to question whether casters even need an easier time to level up / hunt..

Everything else is a good change, but this I personally find isn't.

----
On the subject of shops for lowbies, though, raising Wallter not long ago made me realize just how much the randomizer merchants in Underport and the Cordor sewer gauntlet shop were useful for new characters. There you could buy the 5 resist belts (archer, brawler, swordsman) as well as +1d4 +? enhancement weapons of certain types. Instead, now, if your weapon type isn't that of the shady merchant, you need to travel to the abyss or know the existence of pirate in Caraigh that you can only access if it isn't night and if you can fight the pirate spawns and deal with the traps of that cave first. AND THEN, you're not even guaranteed you'll have a weapon you can use. Wallter died twice, both times on Caraigh, because I wanted to reach the pirate merchant before its selection resetted, in hope I get a +2 handaxe with 1d4 elemental damage on.. and I'm probably one of the only players on the server who even know this merchant exist and where he is (and I had to camp there for hours too).

Heck, just having the dwarf salesman that's near the graveyard that's between the beastmen and the salandran temple move closer to Cordor would be far better for newbies than ruining books of transmutation, just saying :D

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 25 2017, 22:29 PM 

Tester

I couldn't care less about what ever gold value the books my PC has collected have. My reservation was it cuts out some RP of finding or trading for that sort of extra knowledge. The only real BoT page I would say could be considered integral to leveling is the one that comes with the base book: Flame Weapon. A lot of our dungeons are based around being able to change your elemental damage on weapons. Other than that? It's mostly icing.

That's not to paint the current situation as perfect either. I would disagree that filling a book is "super easy." Maybe if you're constantly hunting and checking shops. But the amount of times I've had books sit with 18/20 or so pages is high. They're incredibly random to find, with some pages seeming to belong only to certain lootbins. And as the number of active adventuring PCs decreases, so does the likelihood of seeing a particular page in Hilrash's shop.

Again, ideal world for me is one where you hand an Arcanist a scroll of what ever spell you need a BoT page of, he combines it with an Unearthed Arcane, and there you go. But until then, if they're removed from the loot bin, PCs need a way to get them. I just wish it wasn't so easy ad throwing gold at it. Perhaps a quest, or even a NPC who trades you scrolls of the correct spells for pages, so there's at least the idea that you're searching for knowledge, and/or given the incentive to work with other PCs who might already have found it.

In the end, it really isn't that big an issue, and it certainly isn't the focus of this thread. All in all, I'm looking forward to these loot changes. I definitely would like to see more randomized loot and merchants, wherever they make sense.

PassionateShadow

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 26 2017, 6:44 AM 

Player

Does this mean I will have to request a lance to get my lance back?

"It's easy to feel like a hero. It's a little harder to be one."

Jes

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 26 2017, 7:31 AM 

DM

It's not going to remove from anyone anything which already exists. On a new character, you'll probably need to request one.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Amarice-Elaraliel

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 26 2017, 8:13 AM 

Player

Yeah the existing stuff will not be touched. It just won't drop anymore from the spawns after the update.

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 26 2017, 14:19 PM 

Player

PassionateShadow wrote:
Does this mean I will have to request a lance to get my lance back?

I wouldn't recommend using lances in the first place tbh. There's been reports of them being the cause of character file corruption in the past, making the character, all items etc irretrievable. No idea if it's been fixed or not, but just figured I'd give out the warning.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]