View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
Yimmi

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 12:10 PM 

Player

angst360 wrote:
Also, I'm sorry, I find it funny that people think that a massive change to the server will increase the player base, when it is quite obvious that massive changes are the reason Amia has gone into a steep decline over the last couple of years. Those people that have fled to Arelith, Ravenloft, and FRC aren't coming back... the damage is done. Time to get over it.

Well yeah, if they are having a good time there and their servers are also going for EE it's more likely that they will remain in those servers... but what people mean as increase the player base goes probably to new players that will see the server :D! Or at least that's what I think...
If somehow there is a server list, like in the good old times, and with the possibility of steam adding the workshop feature, for easy and fast hack download, it could become quite easy to attract some players to give it a try to the server!
As it was said above, many could give it a try and some could stay and some could leave!
It's an opportunity after all and we must see how it goes :P

We are southamerican rockers, nou sommes rockers sudamericaines...

And DM side: DM Clangeddin

Falling Spider

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 13:06 PM 

Player

There's a server list. Work in progress (no categories yet) but it's there and no setup needed playerside.

Nivo

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 13:36 PM 

Player

May the Force be with you, Budly.

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 18:18 PM 

Player

Nivo wrote:
May the Force be with you, Budly.

Thanks dude.

I see a few plausible scenarios

NWN EE goes the route of NWN 2 and gets totally ignored.

NWN EE raises a few servers but because of Beamdogs rep and the horrible PR Siege of Dragonspear was ( got downvoted as hell no Steam for my BG1 review at the time) they will boycott the game and the NWN community is splintered into two groups cause some server already moves even before releases, Making it even more messy to be an NWN player in a dying community, the final nail in the coffin. Imagine if CD Projekt Red would take it up? That name alone would bring thousand upon thousands back and they could do a throw back with Witcher 1 how they used the engine there (imagine how cool that be if CD Projekt Red did a co-op with Beamdog somehow?)

NWN EE and NWN1 both coexist and nothing really changes, some new players, some stay in NWN1 and some go to NWN EE.

NWN EE is a mega success and the game has a second golden age.

I think there basically it either will be big hit or no difference. Unless Beamdogs bad reputation comes back to haunt em!

Budly : Has gone to a better place.
Barrililath : Shadowy Drow, probably less Drow than Sylv ever be.

Dunecat

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 18:52 PM 

Player

There is no spoon, Budly.

walnutboy

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 19:02 PM 

Player

Budly, wax on, wax off my friend! :wink:

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 19:43 PM 

Player

Well, you know.

I like to watch the world burn! :wink:

robbi320

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 20:12 PM 

Player

Budly wrote:
I like to watch the world burn! :wink:

Good luck, Budly.

I love overusing memes.

Kronox

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 20:41 PM 

Player

I think the chance of population increase is worth the risk, especially with the above stated fact that once this goes live, nobody is going to be checking old servers. Our dwindling playerbase will be all that's left. So I'm all for it.

With that in mind, assuming people are like-minded, what can we do to get ahead of this? If it's a matter of paying a dev to streamline it, I know I'm more than willing to chip in to cover that cost, and I imagine others are too.

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 21:44 PM 

Player

It's too late to 'get ahead,' given that it's out now, some servers have EE content up and running, and devs/DM's from other servers (not amia) were hired specifically to make sure their server was able to launch with the pre release. Arelith talks about a PW by next week and full migration to EE for all players in 30 days.

It's now about playing catch up, unless you can beat them and be the first non demo server in the server browser.

Count Kaldrjarn Pitt | Archmage Kilmar | Sarguk Morderer

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:
First of all, my brain is one of the best here.

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 21:51 PM 

Player

Commie wrote:
It's too late to 'get ahead,' given that it's out now, some servers have EE content up and running, and devs/DM's from other servers (not amia) were hired specifically to make sure their server was able to launch with the pre release. Arelith talks about a PW by next week and full migration to EE for all players in 30 days.

It's now about playing catch up, unless you can beat them and be the first non demo server in the server browser.

And Arelith got a headstart? Why was some hired and not others? I mean, do they want to cater to some? Did they ask all of the decent sized? Did they only take the top dogs? WHere is POTM and SINFAR if so?

Either way! How can it be out when they have not given a release date? This is more prone of an early access and who knows what Beamdog breaks down the line?

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 21:57 PM 

Player

Yes, Beamdog went to the non x-rated server that pulled 100+ people consistently and hired some.

I think Amias big issue, aside from limited dev hours, is going to be custom nwnx items, hak content (as its totally changed and now comes from the server when you connect), and a player base willing to ride out the time it takes to implement those changes, as well as compete not only with existing rp server monoliths, but also the fact that since the game is once again dev supported and Steam integrated, new servers flush with content and ideas. The flood gates have already opened.

Once amia does pop up on the EE server browser I might pop in to look at my nightwaves and to wish you good luck, Budly.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

robbi320

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 22:00 PM 

Player

Again, I thought everything was just copy-pasta... Or am I misunderstanding the whole 100% backwards compatibility wrong? If there are no issues transitioning, why are there issues?

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 22:02 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
Again, I thought everything was just copy-pasta... Or am I misunderstanding the whole 100% backwards compatibility wrong? If there are no issues transitioning, why are there issues?

A server need to transfer to the new master server. :)

Commie

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 22:06 PM 

Player

Backwards compatible does not mean cross-compatible. single player content can go back or forth, but you cannot connect to an enhanced Edition server with a vanilla game, and vice versa.

Also custom scripting in anyway is not going to work and need to be re done.

Things like dev crit will have to, likely, be made from scratch using the new hooks in EE.

ANT ALARM

MisterLich wrote:

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 22:13 PM 

Player

Commie wrote:
Yes, Beamdog went to the non x-rated server that pulled 100+ people consistently and hired some.

I think Amias big issue, aside from limited dev hours, is going to be custom nwnx items, hak content (as its totally changed and now comes from the server when you connect), and a player base willing to ride out the time it takes to implement those changes, as well as compete not only with existing rp server monoliths, but also the fact that since the game is once again dev supported and Steam integrated, new servers flush with content and ideas. The flood gates have already opened.

Once amia does pop up on the EE server browser I might pop in to look at my nightwaves and to wish you good luck, Budly.

Yes, ver convenient Beamdog tied Arelith is already up and going, Thumbs up.

For all we know, Arelith just happens to have no haks and won the race instantly. Either way, Amia can double time, like people did back in NWN2 times, keep Amia NWN running but start to fix a NWN EE version too and later slide it over there.

robbi320

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 22:20 PM 

Player

Well, it was said haks and modules would work and transfer easily... which... is scripting.

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 22:24 PM 

Player

robbi320 wrote:
Well, it was said haks and modules would work and transfer easily... which... is scripting.

Always a catch, isn't there? :cry:

Falling Spider

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 23 2017, 22:26 PM 

Player

The devs that got hired (from various spots) were professional coders, responsible for things like the client extender (sinfar has an amazingly complicated set of enhancements to the NWN client, miles ahead of anything amia has, sorry. Being a x-rated server doesn't change their coding capability I'm afraid), NWNx (Niv and Liareth) which basically any competent server uses, and is being imported into the base of the NWN 1.74 code...

Amia doesn't have the people capable of putting together a hakpack. Like, what's the argument here? Some grand conspiracy? You can get a copy right now and play on one of a few EE servers. You could do it on Tuesday. If you have a team of people ready to work, it'd be possible to convert a normal server to the EE in a month or two as well, I bet. Does Amia have that? I've noticed devs from every prominent NWN server (and some not!) on the beamdog forums except for Amia's, so that's pretty telling.

tl;dr: good luck, budly

Havok_baphomet

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 24 2017, 3:35 AM 

Player

Howdy

Old lurker here. Wanted to drop by and say: I'm buying the EE, whatever the price, whatever the changes. Don't really care if its worth it or not because it is Neverwinter Nights.

I also want to say that in its present state Amia is pretty much *unfortunely* dead. Please, do update the server to EE so new players can join, and old ones too.

Maybe we can get the Defenders of Kohnlingen (smurfs) up and running again.

edit: I agree with the fellow who posted this turned political way too fast. I mean, is either go down this way or stick with 5 people at peak time. About paying twice for the same product, i'm also surprised there is resistance - ITS NWN - 'nuf sed. Only reason to complain is you won't be the one paying for it (ie your mom), or you're cheapskate. Please, guys, get DM Chicken or the people who have the skills to do the port back! Do reach for the Arelith dev's and see what can you guys come up with together!

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 24 2017, 4:47 AM 

Player

Havok_baphomet wrote:
edit: I agree with the fellow who posted this turned political way too fast. I mean, is either go down this way or stick with 5 people at peak time. About paying twice for the same product, i'm also surprised there is resistance - ITS NWN - 'nuf sed. Only reason to complain is you won't be the one paying for it (ie your mom), or you're cheapskate. Please, guys, get DM Chicken or the people who have the skills to do the port back! Do reach for the Arelith dev's and see what can you guys come up with together!

Quoted for all da troofs!

Amia should definitely go to EE, there's really no question about it. The work to do so, on the other hand, is the 'fun' part, lol

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Revak

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 24 2017, 12:22 PM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
Amia should definitely go to EE, there's really no question about it.

+1!

also hey bby

emzor

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 25 2017, 4:34 AM 

Player

Been playing on Arelith recently because I've been craving some NWN action. I've had a fair bit of fun to be honest. Been like 10+ years since I've played there and being a vanilla sever it does feel nice and clean and party based fun.

I pay props to the Arelith team, player numbers were dying off a few years ago, but they have reversed the trend and player numbers are actually growing again. I'd have to say they have outwitted, outlast and outplayed everyone else. They have been very smart and savvy with their involvement in the Enhanced Edition too, which means they'll get first access to true "new" players who buy the EE edition.

Seen a few familiar login names from some of you who have converted over. :lol:

Shame about Amia - but it's just not a feasible option at the moment, 8 players online now, and generally 0 in my timezone.

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 26 2017, 1:28 AM 

Player

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/6 ... s/p1?new=1

Just leaving this here.

Quote:
OK, so NWN EE player CAN connect to 1.69 servers, this has been achieved and confirmed by Sinfar developer Mavrixio;
(Many of us avoid Sinfar but please focus on what he is saying here!)

"Mavrixio Posts: 10
November 24 edited November 25
I patched Sinfar 1.69 server to be compatible with NWN:EE client. Only a few bits to change here and there, no thanks to the help of NWN:EE devs though... It would have been easier with their help but it was completely refused"

What strikes me as interesting is that one person alone achieved this with relative ease, whereas Beamdog continues to declare it an impossible and inconceivable feature.

The rest of Mavrixio's post can be read on the Beamdog forums at this link, I am delighted with his resolve to continue working on cross compatibility as EE is changed/updated, even if Beamdog continues to resist and obstruct this essential feature.

This post is from the community board on Facebook for NWN

Good Luck, Me.

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 26 2017, 2:22 AM 

Player

Sure, its defiantly possible for now as Beamdog has yet to actually properly update the game yet or integrate NWNX, which is what is mainly expected to break 1.69 compatibility with 1.7+. Its perfectly viable right now, even with the few minors patches, such as Death attack only procing once per round BECAUSE scripts and anything actually mechanical are only loaded server side. Meanwhile a server doesn't care what information you see, it just tells you the name of what you should be seeing.

If you lack a script, doesn't matter server will still run it and give you the end result.
If you lack a line in 2da that adds some new feat or skill, doesn't matter just means you can't see it on your player side game in the feat/skill selection menu.
If you alter the appearance of a robe to look like a poncho, good on you! You'll see it as a poncho whilst everyone else on the server sees it as the normal robe.

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 26 2017, 6:19 AM 

Player

Budly wrote:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66979/essential-feature-either-ee-able-to-connect-to-1-69-servers-or-1-69-able-to-connect-to-ee-servers/p1?new=1

Just leaving this here.

Quote:
OK, so NWN EE player CAN connect to 1.69 servers, this has been achieved and confirmed by Sinfar developer Mavrixio;

I patched Sinfar 1.69 server to be compatible with NWN:EE client. Only a few bits to change here and there, no thanks to the help of NWN:EE devs though... It would have been easier with their help but it was completely refused"

What strikes me as interesting is that one person alone achieved this with relative ease, whereas Beamdog continues to declare it an impossible and inconceivable feature.

The rest of Mavrixio's post can be read on the Beamdog forums at this link, I am delighted with his resolve to continue working on cross compatibility as EE is changed/updated, even if Beamdog continues to resist and obstruct this essential feature.

Good Luck, Me.

Liareth wrote:
No, BD didn't claim it wasn't possible. We claimed it wasn't feasible.

The forum post is here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/6 ... servers/p1 and another post here, where we (me!) explained it was technically possible: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/c ... ent_920395

Nothing is impossible. We could change a few lines of code and enable connections to old servers. That doesn't mean that things will work properly when we did (they wouldn't), and even if we fixed all of the new and modified protocols to work for both versions, we would be stuck with that legacy support, which would cost us valuable time that we could put towards more important features.

Here's an example: the new per-part armour option requires a significantly modified network protocol. The new hidden items option requires a brand new network protocol. If you don't send that data to the new client, it will crash. Sure, we could change the new client to ignore that data when connecting to old servers and fill it in with sensible defaults. But that's a big chunk of time and work - which just grows at time passes and new features get implemented.

It's simply not a reasonable thing to expect, and it's the reason the previous patches and expansions had no cross play support.

At the end of the day, it's just a balance of time investment and complexity. It's easy to scream conspiracy / cash grab from an observer's point of view, but there are good technical reasons for the decisions we've made. I understand that it can be frustrating, but spreading a false narrative is not the way to go here.

T0mc4t89

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 26 2017, 9:58 AM 

Player

Will get the Steam version when its released. Already have it wishlisted.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70445 ... d_Edition/

Incase anyone has missed it.

Also the Infinite Dungeons DLC looks pretty interesting. Procedurally created levels.

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 26 2017, 15:15 PM 

Player

TormakSaber wrote:
Budly wrote:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66979/essential-feature-either-ee-able-to-connect-to-1-69-servers-or-1-69-able-to-connect-to-ee-servers/p1?new=1

Just leaving this here.

Quote:

Good Luck, Me.

Liareth wrote:
No, BD didn't claim it wasn't possible. We claimed it wasn't feasible.

The forum post is here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/6 ... servers/p1 and another post here, where we (me!) explained it was technically possible: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/c ... ent_920395

Nothing is impossible. We could change a few lines of code and enable connections to old servers. That doesn't mean that things will work properly when we did (they wouldn't), and even if we fixed all of the new and modified protocols to work for both versions, we would be stuck with that legacy support, which would cost us valuable time that we could put towards more important features.

Here's an example: the new per-part armour option requires a significantly modified network protocol. The new hidden items option requires a brand new network protocol. If you don't send that data to the new client, it will crash. Sure, we could change the new client to ignore that data when connecting to old servers and fill it in with sensible defaults. But that's a big chunk of time and work - which just grows at time passes and new features get implemented.

It's simply not a reasonable thing to expect, and it's the reason the previous patches and expansions had no cross play support.

At the end of the day, it's just a balance of time investment and complexity. It's easy to scream conspiracy / cash grab from an observer's point of view, but there are good technical reasons for the decisions we've made. I understand that it can be frustrating, but spreading a false narrative is not the way to go here.

We should learn one thing, they are not doing this as some kind of Christmas miracle wonder out of the depth of their warm hearts. They want to make money, but for once it is something that might give back a lot to us as a community and we can keep going strong.

T0mc4t89

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 26 2017, 15:35 PM 

Player

Jesus Christ, Budly.

You are making Beamdog sound like fucking EA or something. We get it, you don't like the company.

Budly

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 26 2017, 16:10 PM 

Player

T0mc4t89 wrote:
Jesus Christ, Budly.

You are making Beamdog sound like fucking EA or something. We get it, you don't like the company.

Nah, I bought all their products and love their home made antagonist, Caelar Argent. I just sit back a bit further than others. Im neutral. But, you should see some in the facebook group if you think im negativity incarnate. They are fucking rioting in their little homebrew groups, raging at Beamdog for their "filthy cash grab" or whatever they now call it.

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 27 2017, 14:03 PM 

Player

I've been following this NWN:EE stuff and it sounds promising. A new company taking on the cost and development of a dinosaur like NWN is, in my opinion, an exciting prospect to bring a new lease of life to the community and game. I can understand their business decisions, they have to make it profitable to justify the investment, time and salaries of their staff. As they say they have a full time team on the development, and all it costs us is $20 a pop to buy in with the possibility improve on and to fix all those buggy features that bioware left behind. It'll give our own in house devs less work to figure out work arounds, implement haks, recruit new scripters. If of course all that is promised comes to pass, NWNX support and all. And there's no rush, Amia is still here, the community can just monitor EE and when everything is good just migrate over, test, trouble shoot and roll (hopefully).

Budly

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 27 2017, 14:27 PM 

Player

Luckbringer wrote:
I've been following this NWN:EE stuff and it sounds promising. A new company taking on the cost and development of a dinosaur like NWN is, in my opinion, an exciting prospect to bring a new lease of life to the community and game. I can understand their business decisions, they have to make it profitable to justify the investment, time and salaries of their staff. As they say they have a full time team on the development, and all it costs us is $20 a pop to buy in with the possibility improve on and to fix all those buggy features that bioware left behind. It'll give our own in house devs less work to figure out work arounds, implement haks, recruit new scripters. If of course all that is promised comes to pass, NWNX support and all. And there's no rush, Amia is still here, the community can just monitor EE and when everything is good just migrate over, test, trouble shoot and roll (hopefully).

But this is Beamdogs old niché. They take old games, that some of them as former Bioware employees even worked on before and rerelease with "fixes", some hate em, some like em and adds in some of their own content like Neera or that high levelled Drow Sorc, a whole expansion and so on. I think it is pretty cost effecient for them if they make it. And we get happy if it bring in more RP and do not change to much in the community to make it less oriented to RP.

VashO_o

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 28 2017, 12:49 PM 

Player

EE now live in beta, the fact is this is the only chance to once agin have issues logging into to a server because its full. People spoke of a risk? What risk is there you will all still have the same game with easier access to various servers and a slim chance of some sort of content release. To not go EE could only be a detriment, realistically the allure of new things is a draw and people who play amia may well get EE should the server not go with it they do run the risk of losing some players and have no way to regain them. Change or die.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 28 2017, 16:06 PM 

Tester

It's been absolutely hammered into the ground at this point that if the pros outweigh the cons, and there are people to facilitate the change, it will happen. There's no need to strawman it as people holding out just "because." There are considerable reasons why it might not happen, despite DMs, Devs, and players wanting it to. Even if there aren't actual coding and functional barriers that would prevent Amia as it is from making the transition, that's a lot of work that no one is getting paid to do. That goes for making the actual change, to copying things over, to sifting through lines of script to make adjustments as needed. Let's chill a little bit. This isn't something that's going to happen instantly and certainly nothing at this moment is as urgent as "change or die." If you do consider it that urgent, then trying to learn some scripting/debugging to help out or test on your own would be the route to do it.

I think it's also a mistake to look at EE like it would be some cure-all. There are plenty of things to work on in the meantime. Things we can work on now. It might help player numbers, that's a definite prospect. But half the time I look online now, there are a fair amount of people browsing the forums that I hardly see in game any more. And that's not saying it's something wrong with them. I'm saying that whatever issue that is will likely remain after the switch, if and when it happens. There are a few extra knobs in EE and a different interface. That's not going to make everyone hanging on the side lines suddenly rush back in.

Granted, the few times when we've randomly been up to 40 some players in the past couple of months, I've been flooded with tells of "woah, what's going on?". Nothing. Nothing in particular, at least. It just seems like we're so many kids at a grade school dance waiting for someone else to make the first move. If no one's logging in because no one else is logging in... Well, you see the cycle in that.

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 28 2017, 18:15 PM 

Player

Dark Immolation wrote:
It's been absolutely hammered into the ground at this point that if the pros outweigh the cons, and there are people to facilitate the change, it will happen. There's no need to strawman it as people holding out just "because." There are considerable reasons why it might not happen, despite DMs, Devs, and players wanting it to. Even if there aren't actual coding and functional barriers that would prevent Amia as it is from making the transition, that's a lot of work that no one is getting paid to do. That goes for making the actual change, to copying things over, to sifting through lines of script to make adjustments as needed. Let's chill a little bit. This isn't something that's going to happen instantly and certainly nothing at this moment is as urgent as "change or die." If you do consider it that urgent, then trying to learn some scripting/debugging to help out or test on your own would be the route to do it.

I think it's also a mistake to look at EE like it would be some cure-all. There are plenty of things to work on in the meantime. Things we can work on now. It might help player numbers, that's a definite prospect. But half the time I look online now, there are a fair amount of people browsing the forums that I hardly see in game any more. And that's not saying it's something wrong with them. I'm saying that whatever issue that is will likely remain after the switch, if and when it happens. There are a few extra knobs in EE and a different interface. That's not going to make everyone hanging on the side lines suddenly rush back in.

Granted, the few times when we've randomly been up to 40 some players in the past couple of months, I've been flooded with tells of "woah, what's going on?". Nothing. Nothing in particular, at least. It just seems like we're so many kids at a grade school dance waiting for someone else to make the first move. If no one's logging in because no one else is logging in... Well, you see the cycle in that.

Yes.

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 29 2017, 2:52 AM 

Player

I only have two problems with it. When I first heard about it, I went to see what it offered. All I saw listed on the page were seemingly things I saw for free on NWNVault mod lists if I wanted them. Just graphical crap. No longstanding bugs fixed. No new base races added. No new prestige classes added. No new feats, no new spells. No psionics. No incorporations of the nicer things NWN2 has that would make NWN1 even better. Nothing.

If I'm still playing a 15-year-old game, I obviously don't care about graphics. I certainly cannot be bothered to "spruce it up" a lot that I can barely tell the difference.

The second thing that bothers me is that it looks a whole lot like this:

(scene: a boardroom with executives)

Beamdog1: Hrm. We hold the rights to this aging game, how can we squeeze it for more money since we can't really make it a subscription-based game, can't pump it full of loot boxes, can't add microtransactions...

Beamdog2: How about we do the barebones minimum of coding to it, change the interface so it won't work with the old version, shop it to developers and basically make it an extortion-tax to the player to keep playing? I mean, all the work is already done for us on modsites out there if we want it.

Beamdog1: Johnson, you're brilliant!

(repeat this conversation cycle every 5 to 10 years til we die)

To me, that's what it seems this is. There's no "meat" on any of the features I saw. Nothing for the player at all. No base races, no prestige classes, no spell additions, no feat additions, no fixing bugs people have complained about since 2002 and no additions of the nicer things made in NWN2 that would make the game better. No actual "content" for the player. (Did I miss something? It's just boring, barely noticeable graphical tweaks by the look of it.)

I'd pay 60 bucks gladly for the above, but to me, this just looks like Beamdog is telling persistent world owners as the great thing that will bring new players to their doorstep, all the while saying to the players of a 15-year-old game, "That's a real nice chunk of your life you've invested in your persistent world characters, you should probably pay us this 20 dollar tax to KEEP BEING ABLE TO PLAY IN IT."

I cannot understand what everyone is "excited" about in forums of other servers I play. Unless there's something I miss, I can't see anything here but a shameless cashgrab and things you can already find for free elsewhere. I wanted to be excited, but end up depressed.

I just don't get it.

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

RaveN

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 29 2017, 19:10 PM 

Administrative Developer

It definitely feels like a cashgrab to me personally. I'm unimpressed with what I've seen thus far, since they haven't promised anything but making NWNX-like features integrated into the nwserver (big deal, you got the source code) which NWNX already has done for 7 years in a much more impressive way (reverse engeering). They also advertise shaders to make the game look better (which you could do 7 years ago too, via community downloads). Lastly, the only thing I personally was excited for - the DPI/gui scaler: I was watching their demonstration, and it didn't appear that the font-size was changing, the ui pane was just scaling like a zoom. It actually looks bad. Meh.

MightNMagic

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 29 2017, 21:05 PM 

Player

I just want to add that I *was* interested and excited when I heard they were doing this for NWN, I'm just feeling they didn't really do anything meaningful.

There's a lot they could have done that'd make me *want* to shell out 60 bucks for an NWN reissue happily. Opening up splatbooks and adding races, prestige classes, feats, spells. Adding the "good stuff" NWN2 has (like the changes to Modes and "Quick Cast" menu). Fixing long-standing bugs. *Those* are things I'd pay for. *Those* are things that'd breathe new life into the game and make me want to login to old servers.

Rashad with 50 more spells? Neat. Making new characters to make with popular, new prestige classes? Cool.

I just don't understand why so little was done when all the work has already been done for them elsewhere (sitting in books or NWNVault). Graphical stuff? Oh, just... graphical stuff.

That doesn't excite me or interest me, as a player, at all. Being able to login to Amia or other old haunts and play a dhampir, use persistent spell, or a character with the Factotum class? Yes, please. Take my money!

The truth is, they'll get what they want. I'll shell out 20 bucks for the "privilege" of playing servers I have been for 15 years now (I'm sure some of them will buy into it). I'll install it and won't even notice any difference since I play with most of the graphical junk off to cut lag.

Maybe in 5 years we'll get the EEE version that fixes one bug for another 20 bucks. :?

(No tells for Rashad while I'm playing other characters please.)

O'Raghailligh

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 30 2017, 5:54 AM 

Player

Are they actually enhancing the graphics though? All of the clips and streams I've seen the graphics look the same.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 30 2017, 6:30 AM 

Player

Supposedly, but i find it hard to see it making much of a difference.

Gravemaskin

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 30 2017, 14:23 PM 

Player

O'Raghailligh wrote:
Are they actually enhancing the graphics though? All of the clips and streams I've seen the graphics look the same.

I think what they mean is that they add new shaders and such to make it look "newer", but I doubt they are actually updating and improving the textures in the game. That would require quite a few hundred hours of work. Not to mention hundreds of hours of work that would have to go into updating all character/monster/PLC meshes to replace the relatively low poly versions with high poly models. (This is why horses cause lag for instance, they're high poly models)

Budly

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 30 2017, 16:06 PM 

Player

Gravemaskin wrote:
O'Raghailligh wrote:

I think what they mean is that they add new shaders and such to make it look "newer", but I doubt they are actually updating and improving the textures in the game. That would require quite a few hundred hours of work. Not to mention hundreds of hours of work that would have to go into updating all character/monster/PLC meshes to replace the relatively low poly versions with high poly models. (This is why horses cause lag for instance, they're high poly models)

Just like a company who do something of their own you mean? :P

rafaelmacgyver

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 01 2017, 16:06 PM 

Player

O'Raghailligh wrote:

Same with me...

Emilly MacMillan (Happy)

Image Image

Sprites by Raua!

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 01 2017, 17:46 PM 

Player

rafaelmacgyver wrote:
O'Raghailligh wrote:

Same with me...

From what I understand they just lazily slapped some shaders on it.

Suhjet

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:34 AM 

Player

Shaders, yes. The priority has been the "under the hood" developments. The game is modernized in 64 bit and such, running better than it ever had been in the past 15 years. It doesn't necessarily look better, but that's what mods are for.

There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect,
and once in a while, man's evil prying calls them just within our range.

Last edited by Suhjet on Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.

T0mc4t89

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:37 AM 

Player

I'm certainly interested in more stability and smoothness for newer systems.

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:00 AM 

Player

They released another patch today, not sure what most of this stuff is:

Quote:
NWN:EE Head Start Patch Notes v74.8150

--Maximum texture memory specified in the .ini file.
This means the 64 meg texture limit is no longer as limiting
The default size will increase in the future, but we maintained it as an ini option for the sake of compatibility
Max Texture Memory is now 2047mb

--Armour parts of complex models to can now carry their own color channel id (#HypnoElf)
Hidden helmets & equipment
Effectively a "make helmet invisible when worn" scripting function
It can be used equally for any slot which has creature mesh visibility when equipped: armor, helm, cloak, left hand, and right hand, etc...
--Fixed an area transition issue "Doors with no transition but a script attached are not triggerable"
This was the issue that was blocking players from playing "Infinite Dungeons", and likely a number of other bug reports we've been receiving about area transitions being broken
--Improve water shader
Part 1 - Expose variables to modders (find the values in the Shaders_README file)
Part 2 - Experimental water shaders that
- react to daytime (water colour tinting)
- have skybox shading - (tilt camera low to see difference).
- react to wind strength.
- react to rain/snow.
- react to wind events (like explosions and characters walking through water)
--Fixed crash when force-updating appearance for creature with invalid/empty armor slot
--Fixed a rare crash when logging into a server and somehow getting stripped of items

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 03 2017, 2:12 AM 

Player

Quote:
[9:18 AM] Liareth: @everyone

Updated API for 8150 is out: https://code.nwnx.io/nwnxee/unified/com ... 8dab58f28f

Also including Windows functions - remember, you can't use these directly in your own tools unless you disable or account for ASLR: https://code.nwnx.io/nwnxee/unified/blo ... indows.hpp

NWNX discord for devs - https://discord.gg/eDQapT

Lascer

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 15 2018, 1:45 AM 

Player

Wow! Somehow I missed Christmas, but it was waiting right here for me.

I've been gone a few years. I didn't have real internet. It just got hooked up, so I thought I'd check out the last NWN server I spent far too much time on. I was half expecting it to be gone, like the rest. It's impressive that it's still kicking, but, as has been noted, eventually that simply won't be the case. -ANYTHING- that puts the game on Steam would be a step towards preserving it. The master server list returning is just icing. Even if this totally flops, the fact that it's on Steam already means it's bringing more people to the game. "Enhanced" or not (which I'm not seeing a whole lot to call it that yet, but maybe it'll help things under the hood), NWN is still one of the best methods allowing community run PW type game servers to exist. Nothing else has ever really come close. At worst, it's terrible, and we make effort to direct people looking into it on Steam towards the 'old' version. This is great news, there's almost no negatives. Twenty bucks? Plus the usual sales? Totally worth it. It might mean another few years of actual interest, plus years longer of people still playing it.

Anyways, just thought I'd throw in my thoughts. As one of the people that's effectively left the server, I thought it might be a useful voice to see. I'll be purchasing it, and I -never- buy games on release. I'm going to convince a few friends to as well, and expect to be able to much easier than of the current process. I'm not about to delete this version of the game either, but I will certainly be among those on the next version. I hope to see Amia there. With any luck with full servers.

PrinceofallThayans

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 21 2018, 18:06 PM 

Player

We need to move to EE, I have it wishlisted on Steam already. Several old Amia players I am friends with on Steam also have it listed. This is a great thing, I cant log onto NWN anymore or I would. Amia is dead and it makes me so sad. This is the best RP server I have played on.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next