View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
thunderbrush

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 11 2016, 13:56 PM 

Player

I have made far too many characters that I am fond of. As such, I cannot keep them all active. Some have had substantial RP on the island, some most people don't even know exist. I recently made a character request and it's something I wanted to play for years. There was at least one confirmed instance of the class existing, but nothing solid on whether or not it was public domain. I want to make room to actually RP with this guy, should he be approved and need to trim the fat. I am opening this up to players who know my characters and have some input on whether my character remains active or shelved. List follows, and thank you in advance.

Jace Fenneril: Remains active, not flexible.

Michael Harcourte: Epic Illusionist/Trasmutationalist, Sorcerer. Chicken lover. RP consistently dries up and drifts away from this guy in a manner that ICly and OOCly he can't change. Frustrating.

Sorrow Dragonwound: Sorcerer, Wizard Nipples. Who?

Sergei Vostock: Mercury Dragon Disciple, jeweler and flailer of axes. While the RP with him is fun, I can't help but feel frustrated the entire mechanics of the class changed only two days after I hit 30. The changes are good, but I get frustrated every time I log him on as I initially intended to go more RDD, as stated in his character request, but found he would be borderline unplayable.

Evan Blake: A not so evil palemaster. You probably don't know him, because I kept it that way. He's a friggin palemaster, why would he be a social butterfly. Great Build, fun to grind with. PM rp is kind of bleh.

Percival Enderfell. "Hey can you log Percival so we can get some weapon essences?" Mechanically one of my favorite characters ever. Was a hairbrained scheme Hades Project and I cooked up, but ultimately the RP I designed fell through. "Um Hades...it's missing blindfight"

Sanjen: Cleric. Not finished training, limited RP...but he will have 4 epic summons when complete. Yep. 4.

James Ely: Cleric, Joybringer. Original RP drifted off, second rp drifted off, Mechanically superior version of Jace. Except he likes dudes.

Well. What do you think? Who gets the axe?

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 11 2016, 14:08 PM 

Player

Alt-itis is terminal, I'm afraid. You have six months.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Jes

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 11 2016, 14:32 PM 

DM

thunderbrush wrote:
Sergei Vostock: Mercury Dragon Disciple, jeweler and flailer of axes. While the RP with him is fun, I can't help but feel frustrated the entire mechanics of the class changed only two days after I hit 30. The changes are good, but I get frustrated every time I log him on as I initially intended to go more RDD, as stated in his character request, but found he would be borderline unplayable.

I enjoyed interacting with Sergei. I hope he's one you keep.

If you're hung up on the class changes, rebuilds are a thing! I did that with my DD after the changes went in.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

That Guy

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 11 2016, 14:56 PM 

Player

I feel your pain! I tend to play a character until I replace them and I've done that dozens of times. I've not tried spreading my time around more than one, but... I think I will try it soon, as I feel guilty if Flynn leaves for good.

Okay... who should stay?

Jace and Sergei. From what I can tell, those two for you can offer different things and roleplay.

And.. as Jes said, rebuild!

#StraightOutaAvernus

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 11 2016, 17:40 PM 

Player

Location: WHY SHOULD I TELL YOU WHERE WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE?! NGAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

I'm going to hijack this thread a bit, if you're fine with it thunderbrush, to address the alting issue more broadly -- as I see it come up often and addressing it after you've made the characters won't prevent it from recurring.

To everyone with altitis, please note: I find the biggest causes for this trend are often simply amounted to a 2D concept. I don't mean that as an insult, picking at the facets of personality -- predictable personas perfectly well have their place in RP; the two dimensions I talk about are different, and they're specifically in reference to goals, objectives, and motives.

A lot of people cook up a nice character -- give it a build, a personality, a very vivid physical description, and even quirks/flaws; but too few people reach the 'motives' part and don't get hung up.

They make their evil drift toward gold
They make their goodguy want love
They make their neutral generally 'out for himself'

Way, 'way' too often there's this false perception that such broad goals open you up to interact with more people, when they're actually a restriction. Not to mention: when you hit 30? That 'reason' and drive? That's your reason for existence after you hit 30.

If it's a goal that's going to bore you, or that's so simplistic that it has no chance to branch off to sub-goals and progress goals? Your character isn't going to be intricate enough to maintain interest.

Make your character stupidly ambitious. You don't have to be able to accomplish your goals. In fact, it's better if you are 90% certain you never will.

Another crucial part is just not to attach yourself to people who 'themselves' work that way. A character which will have a short lifespan will shorten yours if you become codependent. Don't avoid people with altitis, but don't tether to them.

As for you thunderbrush, I highly reccomend the aforementioned suggestions: Jace and Sergei. You do them well, and Jace is pretty likely to stay interesting for you.

*all right.
*well, here's a better question
*do you wanna have a bad time

Playing: Tanar'i Shit Disturbers

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 11 2016, 17:50 PM 

DM

There is nothing wrong with Alt-itis. Do what you enjoy. Amia and Nwn are about having fun so enjoy yourself.

With that said if you have an excess of alts that might be why you don't feel like you can progress with anyone.

Kudark

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 11 2016, 18:24 PM 

Player

We need the people with Alt-itis, they provide the characters that come and go in your life, and variety is good.

MazeOfThorns

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 12 2016, 18:27 PM 

Player

Location: Just arrived from Korriban by Fury class Imperial Interceptor

Maverick00053 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with Alt-itis. Do what you enjoy. Amia and Nwn are about having fun so enjoy yourself.

With that said if you have an excess of alts that might be why you don't feel like you can progress with anyone.

THIS. Sometimes its not about having nothing to do but needing a break from all the stuff your character is involved in. Basically it's what Mav says, what is fun for you?

I thought I'd be done with one of my characters about a year ago. Aaaand he's still here and I'm still having fun. Run out of things to do? Create something to do. :twisted:

Mercury RDD? Er... self rebuild?

2015 Mr. AMIA with the Fabulous Estara ~ 2015 Best Developed SOB Character: Rith'tar

Crowfeather

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 13 2016, 2:27 AM 

Player

Maverick00053 wrote:

^ This. It is a game. Enjoy it how thou wilt.

thunderbrush

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:59 AM 

Player

It's more about the amount of time I have, and how much I can invest in each character. I'm not going to make them murder themselves. To pick up where Avernus left off; I can say that all my characters have goals and ambitions. This however can't always be accomplished, as you can't always (sometimes you can) bend the server to your will. With the current server population, my characters are better off supporting some of the stuff already going on, rather than take time away from that to pursue my own interests. I actually have a good deal of loyalty to the server, players and staff...(god knows why you all suck) and am trying to base my decisions on whats best for the environment. An example would be...Good Guys. The shift in balance from good to evil on the server amuses me. Not too long ago you couldn't play an evil character without five or six PM's a night asking if they could use "detect evil" on you. I guess that's Grinder for Paladins? Now all the goodies pretty much, and this is not all inclusive, sit and wait for DM plots as the evil PC's run amok on the server.Now before someone gets up in arms and says "No we don't! ", or "You don't know what we are planning!" I want you to consider the evil characters are out there doing. They are killing innocents, ambushing good guys, raiding establishments, gaining land. By the time it takes you weeks of planning, everything has changed and you will have to plan all over. Consider the sentiment of the NPC's who have no voice...usually, that have to live in fear of Chromatic Dragonkin, Palemasters, Evil Wizards and Flesh Golems covered in Drow Sex Lube (don't ask, apparently thats a thing), while the majority of the good players do very little in the way of action. I'm not, by any means criticizing anyone's RP, though I think the local populace would be shit mad at the folks who are supposed to protect them. Hell...Grove...packs of wild badgers still maul people in the forrest. What's going on out there? Why have the Badgers gotten organized and developed a taste for human flesh? The last time I saw the PC's angry was when Cordor went xenophobic several years ago and all non humans were damn near lynched.
Now...the truth behind this. The majority of the evil players on the server are super young! We old farts simply don't have the time or energy to keep up! So..that being said I am going to take my old, crippled, grumpy ass and focus on making a few characters the best I can, rather than having a bunch of half baked 'alts"

Michael Harcourte: Painter, Scribe.

Sebastian Mayartte: Gambler, MercenaryDeceased

Bravo21

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 13 2016, 19:59 PM 

Player

YES!!!

Grumpy old ass players unite!

-Krrja

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]