View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155
That Guy

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 20 2019, 13:42 PM 

Player

Thank you Jes. I wasn't looking for opinion or debate... merely a ruling by the team. Appreciated.

Jes

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 20 2019, 14:58 PM 

DM

robbi320 wrote:
I'd argue they can see "oh, I'm paralysed", when they fail the save. :P

It'd be equally metagamey to be able to magically know the cause for paralysis. OnHit weapons are used by a lot of people (not to mention spells) and it doesn't make any sense for someone who's been paralyzed to be able to think, "I know exactly how this happened and why in the thick of battle! He must be an evil assassin!"

robbi320 wrote:
In other cases, it opens up a hell of a can of metagaming. You could argue a trained Assassin might tell, but even then, it comes down to a "oh, my character knew this one dude, who once witnessed an assassination, so now I can tell that you are one as well". In combat, it behaves exactly like a sneak attack. I'd say it looks exactly like a sneak attack.

So this, basically. Ignore text pop-ups regarding combat. Those are just as OOC as the floating names above every character and are meant to inform the player controlling the character that an attack/technique went off successfully.

Aelynthi Nor'alei - The Bubbly Winged Elf

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] The Voice

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 20 2019, 22:10 PM 

Tester

The pop-up dialogue is obviously OoC and as Jes said, there are multiple IC possibilities for someone becoming paralyzed after an attack(onhit, poison, monk techniques). Even so the actual technique for a Death Attack could look very different between two different assassins(kidney shank, spine punch, Vulcan Nerve Pinch).

If the attack succeeds someone would be able to observe the IC effects and therefor make IC conjectures. None of those should, in my mind, really boil down to "this person has this OoCly named class which I know I OoCly can only be taken by Evil PCs." Something like "this person seems to employ a technique whose end results are the same some other stabby people I've met" is a bit more plausible. Supernatural and explicitly magical effects would be a bit different, because there exists methods to literally tell a PC what they are and if they have a good/nefarious nature, but something like a regular ol 'prison shiv to the lumbar? Nah.

pixel471

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 24 2019, 19:39 PM 

Player

Do Armour bonuses vs specific creature types stack?
For example, a shield with:
+1 AC vs Undead (Shield Modifier)
+2 AC (Shield Modifier)

Does this give me +3 AC vs undead or just +2?

robbi320

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 24 2019, 19:44 PM 

Player

The only AC value that stacks is dodge. All others don't. So, having a +1 nat AC versus all, and a +2 nat AC versus Undead just takes that.

Dodge is the one exception. For example, a pair of boots with +4 dodge AC, and a +5 versus orcs gives a total of +9 against orcs.

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Sun, Nov 24 2019, 20:19 PM 

Player

Dodge only stacks to +20 though

pixel471

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:58 AM 

Player

Thanks all, one more question. Where can I find higher-end Mythal? Like perfect and divine?
I've been going through high-end areas, I think, (Vampire mansions + Brog caves) for days and not got a single drop.

I've heard there's a place with a beholder in it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
On my searching so far, i've found huge areas of Amia that seem to be completely unused, lighthouses, places with broken maps, roads that go nowhere, massive green areas with nobody in it, spawnless zones of empty space etc.

Revak

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:07 AM 

Player

Perfect (Dragon Lady corrected me) and Flawless mythals usually drop from epic bosses, you won't find them dropping from the regular mobs. Divine never drops outside of DM events. Beholders can be found either in the Underdark or by going to the Udos ruins cave in Forest of Despair: North East (a cave in the same area as the portal node).

As for those broken areas, which ones do you mean? They may be empty for plot reasons and for those with broken roads they may just never have been expanded on (Ostland is an example of this, but ICly they used to be explained as roadblocks by the local soldiery).

Last edited by Revak on Fri, Nov 29 2019, 10:17 AM, edited 2 times in total.

pixel471

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:29 AM 

Player

Revak wrote:
Perfect and Flawless mythals usually drop from epic bosses, you won't find them dropping from the regular mobs. Divine never drops outside of DM events. Beholders can be found either in the Underdark or by going to the Udos ruins cave in Forest of Despair: North East (a cave in the same area as the portal node).

As for those broken areas, which ones do you mean? They may be empty for plot reasons and for those with broken roads they may just never have been expanded on (Ostland is an example of this, but ICly they used to be explained as roadblocks by the local soldiery).

Wow, even flawless is behind bosses? That's kinda weird, perfect and divine I could understand. Question, what do you mean by -epic- bosses, how can I tell the difference between that and a regular one?

A sign said a swamp was northwest from Cordor, but there was only a west exit and then no north, so I headed west for ages (I think) trying to go north and found a bunch of huuuuuge open green fields (didn't know maps could be that large) with nothing in them and had a green field in the sky, it was really weird, then I found an empty lighthouse even further west (I think).

freaxxshow1338

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:55 AM 

Player

You'll find out over time which ones are epic, once you are in the higher 20s in terms of level, people will automatically start taking you for those

Alternatively I could take you along some time.

Epic boss examples would be the Fire Giant King, The Champion of Deep Duerra, The Loot and Undead Pirate, Windreaver the Demon Dragon thing, Maximus, Pygmy Chief...

And then there's the Special Epic Boss Frosty. You will know he is epic if you happen to run into him. You will not miss that fact.

Revak

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:57 AM 

Player

pixel471 wrote:
Wow, even flawless is behind bosses? That's kinda weird, perfect and divine I could understand. Question, what do you mean by -epic- bosses, how can I tell the difference between that and a regular one?

A sign said a swamp was northwest from Cordor, but there was only a west exit and then no north, so I headed west for ages (I think) trying to go north and found a bunch of huuuuuge open green fields (didn't know maps could be that large) with nothing in them and had a green field in the sky, it was really weird, then I found an empty lighthouse even further west (I think).

Flawless are actually a step above perfect as they're more versatile for mythal crafting. You can get a free perfect however by doing a favour for the dwarves in Barak Runedar however. Epic bosses will usually be at the end of high/end level dungeons and will be notably tougher to deal with. They have a 5% drop rate (like other spawns) of dropping epic gear, the only difference being it's capped at 5% regardless how many people you have in your party. The ones that spring to mind are (Spoilers below, highlight for information):

- Beholder Majesty in the Beholder Caverns (Udos)
- Duergar Boss in the Duergar Caverns (Udos)
- Windreaper in a cavern in the abyssal wastes (Abyss)
- Wastrilith in the abyssal temple (Abyss)
- Abominable Snowbeast in the frozen wastes(Brogendenstein)
- Fire Giant King in the Underkingdom (Brogendenstein)
- Maximus (Brogendenstein)
- Manor of Mourn gnome boss (forget his name, also in Brogendenstein)
- Undead Pirate + Loot Mimic (Khem: Alambar Sea)
- Darkness (Khem: Alambar Sea)
- Construct boss (Elven Ruins)

I've missed some bosses, but each of these bosses are significantly harder to deal with than your usual dungeons and usually require a group to deal with at least over level 25 as they have some nasty abilities (the Undead Pirate for instance has a death pulse, fear aura and can dev crit you). Some characters however can hunt them by themselves to maximise chances of obtaining loot without having to roll dice to decide who gets what. As freaxx said above however, you'll probably learn about these ICly if you run into adventuring parties or when you progress up to those challenges during levelling.

Jes

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 26 2019, 13:49 PM 

DM

Perfects do not drop from epic bosses. As far as I'm aware, the quest in Barak Runedar is the only location to get one outside of DM events.

See me DM-side as:

Revak

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 26 2019, 14:28 PM 

Player

Ah, my mistake then! :lol: Might be a good suggestion (Improving Amia borders now) to open up an alternative path for perfects to be dropped from somewhere else then perhaps? Alternatively we can petition the dwarves to stop hoarding all the perfect mythals.

pixel471

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 28 2019, 13:15 PM 

Player

Thanks all! Really appreciate the help and it explains a lot. Primarily I was looking for 2 x flawless, but this is really hard!
I've killed Maximus, the brog mansion ring leader and the fire giant king 6 times each and not a single drop, lots of sticks and belts though :D

One more thing (I promise), I can't figure out this hunters guide thing in (Forkstakr?), I got a pelt from a wolf, then I found a hunters place.
When I talk to him, he tells me it's for locals only.

Also, because I found this funny, 1 hour after writing the above post, I suddenly got 3 greater crystals in a row from one spawn despite only ever finding one before this, definitely some kind of RNG intervention.

robbi320

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 28 2019, 13:47 PM 

Player

pixel471 wrote:
Also, because I found this funny, 1 hour after writing the above post, I suddenly got 3 greater crystals in a row from one spawn despite only ever finding one before this, definitely some kind of RNG intervention.
That's how RNGesus works. Pray, and he will answer. :P

Forstakkr is weird. You need to help out the locals (a couple of quests) before you get to do anything else there, like handing in the furs. I'd recommend asking around in the temple, and the bar. Those are, after all, the generally more outsider-accepting places. :D

Kudark

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 28 2019, 13:51 PM 

Player

Some of the Howness quests are racial, because they are racist bastards, unless your human is a dragon hugger.

And speaking of racist, I agree with Revak on the dorf's perfect mythal quest, an alternative would be nice for those races not permitted in Barak Runedar.

Jes

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 28 2019, 14:41 PM 

DM

The quest isn't locked behind the racial gate. The NPC is outside so everyone can reach him.

See me DM-side as:

robbi320

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 28 2019, 15:35 PM 

Player

I'd argue it's still questionable if a known troublemaker-Drow/RedDD/BG walks up and goes like "I know, your laws forbid me being here, but... need my help?".

Because, strictly speaking, going off the laws, the docks/just outside the gate still count as Runedar land, and thus banished races are banished.

Jes

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 28 2019, 16:36 PM 

DM

You're going to run into the same thing the other way around. Either it stays neutral the way it is now in an area anyone can get to, or there are two and we have to make it so that if you've done one then you can't do the other - because not everyone can do both. Which is just extra work that isn't necessary right now. In my opinion.

But this is a conversation for IA, if it goes on.

See me DM-side as:

Revak

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 29 2019, 10:13 AM 

Player

What I meant by an alternative is having them drop from epic bosses mainly. But it sounds cool for the quest to trigger somewhere like Wiltun (largely "neutral") rather than stepping onto the hazy IC/OOC line of "I know i'm a half-orc champion of Gruumsh/Lolthite Drow/Tyrannical red dragon boi and you totally would put a ballista bolt through my head but need help?" in a similar vein of an example robbi gave. Could just copy and paste the same story but with Wiltun scouts trapped somewhere behind undead, plus gives an IC reason for more people to visit Caraigh also. Again though this is largely secondary in comparison to other pressing issues for Amia, but it's just my input about it.

Kudark

PostPosted: Fri, Nov 29 2019, 14:59 PM 

Player

There's already a few quests on Caraigh, and the undead there now, are not conducive for a solo quest as it is currently set up. It would be better to have some War Knights trapped behind some giant frogs on Ostland. Ribbit!

Revak

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:35 AM 

Player

Replace War Knights with Ostland soldiers and that seems a good alternative also! Can't imagine War Knights struggling against some overgrown frogs. :lol:

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 21 2020, 3:51 AM 

Player

So....not sure if this is a bug or intentional. But when making a Half-elf Aasimar, you lose Elf Weapon Pro. But when your an Elf and go Aasimar you retain Elf Weapon Pro. Can this be fixed for Half-elf to retain Elf Weapon Pro. Or is done on purpose?

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 21 2020, 4:55 AM 

Player

Its because the Weapon prof. isn't normally given to Half-Elfs but is instead added by the subrace verifier on Amia after character creation. This could be fixed atleast on EE by adding it to the base race and not having it as extra addtion added after character creation.

Impknightofireland

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 21 2020, 5:09 AM 

Player

Oh I hope they do! 8D

lilmarcat

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:17 AM 

Player

This has successfully been added to EE now. As a heads up the change to EE means all races are available and applied during the character creation screen except the Universal ones (ie Aasimar). This comes with some pro/cons. It affects the point buy system during character creation and prevents you from getting feats such as Power attack/Dodge/Expertise at level 1 then losing the stat requirement after activating your subrace (ie going from 14int to 12 after activating your subrace, but grabbing expertise at level 1) :wink:

Pinkhaml86

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 24 2020, 13:34 PM 

Player

that was a thing? people did that? I'd file that under exploit for sure.

kindlegem

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 24 2020, 19:55 PM 

Player

It wasn't really a thing, the situations in which it is possible are so few and I can't think of one where a character would reap the minuscule benefit from doing it... Perhaps a Gold dwarf picking up dodge to meet the requirement for dwarven defender then dipping below 13 dex.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155