View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ] 
Kamina

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 15:54 PM 

Player

I'm sorry for this little sub-rant, but this is to do with recent things. Taking a look at the screenshots topic of late (not specifying which) and some IG things which I have ignored, I've noticed not many people are respecting the fact that some of us don't want to play a game with constant bad language and/or sexual refferences.

Sorry all, just wanted to get this out in the open.

unknown, never completely trusted but always inducing wonder
when met"

El Toffee

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 15:55 PM 

Player

Some of it is in the form of a joke, but yeah, agreed. It's not cool guys :/

In-active player. Active Lurker.

Kamina

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 15:55 PM 

Player

Yeah, I do know most of it is a joke, but enough's enough.

when met"

IronAngel

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 16:08 PM 

Player

While I sympathize with getting tired of jokes that are in bad taste, I can't completely agree with you. I'm not sure if I missed something, but I checked the latest page of the topic and there's nothing that's unsuitable for teens, or the Amia target audience in general. Age is not an excuse to condemn sexual innuendo anyhow, because understanding the references and jokes shows that it's not them that "pollute your mind" but something you've already learned elsewhere. If you watch the TV, you are likely to find similar innuendo and worse. While outright swearing and bad language in general is bad form, it's awfully relative. For example: some might find the word "shi[size=0].[/size]t" offensive, and it is indeed censored by the forum filter (which I just bypassed!) but many people, me included, don't even think twice before using such an everyday word.

Of course, that doesn't refute your right to not wanting to see the things you've seen. People should be considerate towards eachother, but one cannot demand omniscience from others in regards to what one might find offensive. I understand that reminding others of such in person might be embarassing and make you seem like a spoilsport, but there's always the alternative of notifying a DM and asking them to give the reminder instead. We do intervene in things that are out-of-line and distasteful, at least if we're asked to. (Intervene, in my case, means reminding and not enforcing, unless there's obvious line-crossing going on.) When no one seems to mind, though, I have better things to spend my resources on.

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Carter

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 16:33 PM 

Player

Agreed with Iron completely. The NWN ESRB Rating even says "Experience may change during online play", meaning that the rating doesn't really factor into online gameplay. And honestly, Amia isn't bad by any standards. You're going to see worse things on Law & Order, or the Colbert Report. Hell, the History Channel has much more mature subject matter than a great deal of Amia.

I, for one, go through Amia for days and days without seeing any bad language being used, IC or OOC. Perhaps what I consider "bad language" is different, but I wouldn't really say so. I might use words like Iron uses, on occasion, but that doesn't mean I think they're appropriate for constant use. Unless you consider "damn", "hell", and "whore" as "bad words", then you're pretty safe on Amia. The same goes for sexual references. There might be the occasional comment in party chat, but it's usually very quick, and almost always quite innocent.

So, two solutions for you. The first is to find new people to RP with, or at least party with, if you're seeing this stuff IG too much. You might come across a few people who will change their character's speech and actions because you're upset by them, but when it's something as innocent as a few harsh words and crude language, you can't expect anything to change, so you're better off finding people who are like that already.

Second solution is to stop looking at the screenshot thread. Seeing other people's screenshots of things like that seems to be what bothers you the most, so not looking would be a very effective solution. No one forces you to look at the screenshot thread, so if you don't like the content, just don't look at it.

ainjyll

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 17:09 PM 

Player

Carter wrote:
...stop looking at the screenshot thread. Seeing other people's screenshots of things like that seems to be what bothers you the most, so not looking would be a very effective solution. No one forces you to look at the screenshot thread, so if you don't like the content, just don't look at it.

*Quoted for emphasis*

"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell and I stood there all by myself." -Hank III

Dwagin

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 17:11 PM 

Player

"All styles are good except the tiresome kind. " - Voltaire

-Extraordinarily ordinary in the mostest of ways.

Terra_777

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 18:10 PM 

Administrative Developer

"Just Kidding." - Mind that because you're kidding doesn't that mean the person(s) you're kidding for doesn't take offence.

X = Personal taste.

Thats all.

Sokar Rostau

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 18:24 PM 

Player

It's a constant source of both amusement and fascination for me that it's fine to depict violence in the media but using "dirty" words or showing sexuality is frowned upon. It's apparently alright to slice and dice hundreds of creatures (including humans), in a variety of fun ways, in a game but it's not alright to say "boobies" let alone show them.

"It's a Warhorse, baby."
"Whose Warhorse is this?"
"Zed's"
"Who's Zed?"
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 18:56 PM 

Player

Or y'all could you know, not be stuck up jerks and maybe look at what is a simple request from the TC.

MoshingChris

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:05 PM 

Player

Quote:
Me, being under 18, do not want to be seeing half the OOC stuff I've seen

I'm sorry, but, if your old enough to be on the internet by yourself then the whole argument is debased via the fact that i have 100 percent confidence that among your real life peers you say things and experience things that are exponentially worse than text on a screen.

Lally

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:05 PM 

Player

Boobs are clearly the root of all evil.

Roots, even.

I see both points. I think if it was just the screenie topic that was bugging you, you could just avert your eyes. If it's in game, I doubt anyone would mind if you mentioned you were uncomfortable with the conversation at hand. I for one hate violent limb ripping dramatic torture roleplay, and i refuse to participate in it. I have no problem saying so, and the limb rippers are usually happy to oblidge.

Just say something like...oh..I don't know....

"I'm Chris Hansen from dateline NBC. Why don't you have a seat right there..."

Last edited by Lally on Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:08 PM, edited 1 time in total.

The Golden Gnome

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:08 PM 

Player

That's how babies are made, baby!

Kamina

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:16 PM 

Player

Considering only the first few posts were of any constructive critism, I'd rather this topic be locked.

when met"

Carter

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:18 PM 

Player

Lalelilolu wrote:
I for one hate violent limb ripping dramatic torture roleplay, and i refuse to participate in it. I have no problem saying so, and the limb rippers are usually happy to oblidge.

If it's something like that, then sure. There -are- rules on Amia, and most of the mature things are either restricted to by-consent, or are banned outright. Most of the vulgar words are, as well. You can't use the F-word, for instance.

From my experiences, though, vulgar words and sexual RP is uncommon enough on Amia, in public channels, at least, that it isn't really a problem, and those words that are encountered often aren't really bad at all. I guess if those words bother you, you could mention it, but I really don't see, "Damn you, whoredancer!" as something that's liable to be dropped completely by many people.

The Golden Gnome

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:19 PM 

Player

Bah... Have you seen the American youth comedies? They're all about banging chicks. Sex Drive, American Pie 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5, Superbad.. Whatever.

Amia isn't about that though, but it's a part of life.. And a part of puberty. And it's not like you're being bombed with breasts and penises.

Dev Disco

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:28 PM 

HRM Chicken I of Amia

Folks, this isn't an unreasonable request. I don't think he means that he takes offense of the Off Topic screenie thread, but he's more like "looking at these screenies Amia seems to passed some decency limits". A sentiment I cannot deny, I am afraid.

So, tone down.

xordae

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:35 PM 

Player

Agreed with the OP. There's stuff that adds flavour to roleplay and there's stuff that can be kept in private.

The Golden Gnome

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:39 PM 

Player

Isn't partychat rather private, though?

I don't see the problem.. Maybe because I'm European.

Carter

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:41 PM 

Player

The Golden Gnome wrote:
Isn't partychat rather private, though?

I don't see the problem.. Maybe because I'm European.

Quite so, yeah. If the DMs have a problem with it, they'll tell you. If you're in a party with subject matter you don't like, leave.

Personally, I do not, and never have, seen a problem with anything IC on Amia, unless it's a problem with it being -too- restricted. I've not once seen anything done IC breaking any decency limit.

xordae

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:41 PM 

Player

Party chat is rather private, and no one forces you to remain in a party where language is abundant that you don't wanna hear. He did not specify that it was party chat that offended him, though. Amia is 13+ and that has to be respected IC.

Us grown-up folks wouldn't see a problem with language.. but that breeds a mindset of "13+ is only on paper" which it is not.

Gunz

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:46 PM 

Player

The way I do things is I won't say anything in the talk or party channel that wouldn't get through FCC rules here in the US. So, I will say things like bitch, crap, pussy, and ass. But, I wont say the F word, the S word, the C word, or anything like that. I won't even do the infamous "feckin'" and all those other words people like to use in place of the actual word here on Amia... I feel they make the actual word lose its punch ;).

I do use first letter representations of words in party chat with people I know well though, I ain't gonna lie there.

The Golden Gnome

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:49 PM 

Player

The problem is... You'd have to define the limits. Which is difficult.. You can't ban every sex-related word.

And I only mentioned partychat, because the mentioned screenshot reference was taking place in partychat.

Carter

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 19:53 PM 

Player

xordae wrote:
Us grown-up folks wouldn't see a problem with language.. but that breeds a mindset of "13+ is only on paper" which it is not.

I'll go back to the media thing. Watch TV show with a TV, listen to the radio, watch a movie, play a videogame. Here's a list of things that fit roughly into "13+

TV-14 (Television in United States):
    * V for strong violence
    * S for moderate sexual situations
    * L for moderate to strong language
    * D for strong dialogue

PG-13 (Films in United States):
    Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13. Films given this rating may contain sexual content, brief or partial nudity, strong sex language or humor, mature themes, political themes, terror and/or intense action violence.

T (Videogames in North America):
    Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of moderate to strong language.

I don't think Amia has broken past this at all, at any point, really. It fits nicely into the category of "T", which is the rating NWN holds in North America.

HellScourge

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 20:03 PM 

Player

o0GuNz_N_RoSeZ0o wrote:
I won't even do the infamous "feckin'" and all those other words people like to use in place of the actual word here on Amia... I feel they make the actual word lose its punch ;).

I say Spoon instead of such things occasionally. "Spoon it" as an exa,ple or such stuff.

Hello Everyone [...] I like tentacles [...] :)

Kamina

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 20:07 PM 

Player

Quote:
T (Videogames in North America):
Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of moderate to strong language.

Just with to clarify that NWN in Europe is 12+.

when met"

Nekhy

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 20:15 PM 

Player

I think we fit within the limits of original NWN quite nicely most of the time. There's the occasional crossing of what's tasteful, but in general it's not worse than what is seen in other media, TV and movies.

Real-world cussing in RP is just tasteless and crass, though. It ruins the mood of RP completely.

Edit: Europe is far more lax than the US in general, btw. There's the same hookers, crass language and violence in the game on both sides of the pond, but in US they rank it Teen and in Europe Pre-Teen. Our 12+ contains quite a bit more naughty stuff.

Last edited by Nekhy on Mon, Jan 12 2009, 20:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 20:16 PM 

Player

On a remotely related note, I'll go dig up those Faerûnian curse words Ed detailed sometime.. *goes off digging into the archives*

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

HellScourge

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 20:28 PM 

Player

Nekhy wrote:
Edit: Europe is far more lax than the US in general, btw. There's the same hookers, crass language and violence in the game on both sides of the pond, but in US they rank it Teen and in Europe Pre-Teen. Our 12+ contains quite a bit more naughty stuff.

Yes.. in europe they cut out the blood/impaled corpses/Bleeding foes/Stuck arrows.

And put it at 12+.

Hello Everyone [...] I like tentacles [...] :)

Teufel Eldritch

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 20:31 PM 

Player

Kinda on-topic, kinda off-topic but I always found the dislike of certain words over others that mean the same thing kinda odd. Now I'm not saying I myself don't watch my mouth, I do, it's just that I find it strange. Like 'feces' is okay but 'sh*t' is not. They mean the same thing but they are treated differently. Weird

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

The Golden Gnome

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 20:42 PM 

Player

HellScourge wrote:
Yes.. in europe they cut out the blood/impaled corpses/Bleeding foes/Stuck arrows.

And put it at 12+.

They do?

I highly doubt that.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 12 2009, 20:42 PM 

Player

A lock was asked by the original poster, so I'm going to give that. Bringing the matter to public attention and presenting a request wasn't unreasonable, and whether you respect the request or not, there's no real need for discussion in this topic. I'll start another about Realmsian cursing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]