View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

TormakSaber

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 20 2019, 20:05 PM 

Player

Neither dodge nor Power Attack need to be pre reqs.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 21 2019, 19:57 PM 

Administrative Developer

Updated the list. Three new classes.

Defender - DwD clone with harder requirements for non dwarves.
Bow Master - AA clone with harder requirements for non elves.
Field Medicus - A class that focuses on healing and taking advantage of the heal skill

The1Kobra

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 22 2019, 5:40 AM 

Player

Say,

Instead of making the Defender and Bowmaster classes, why not just remove the dwarf/elf requirement, but make the requirements for DwD and AA stricter for non dwarves/elves? Seems like it would be easier to implement, if you want to do it regardless.

Jes

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 22 2019, 5:52 AM 

DM

I don't think that is easier, actually. Most straightforward way is how Mav has done it, and still leaves the lore for the original classes intact.

See me DM-side as:
[DM] Hlal | [DM] Dragonlady | [DM] The Voice

-------------------

Falling Spider

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 22 2019, 6:17 AM 

Player

So, what's happening with stuff like warlock?

Pinkhaml86

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 22 2019, 14:41 PM 

Player

^^

ya are we still going to do bard emulation or is warlock going to be an actual selectable class in the build options?

Nivo

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 22 2019, 15:15 PM 

Player

If I read this correctly, Eldritch Knight does not grant any armor proficiency? Meaning a third class or feats will be needed to be able to wear any armor? If this is so, it'll put lawful spellblades at a disadvantage as they can't take bard for both tumble and up to medium armor proficiency, which is good for most spellbladeish armors. Or I am reading this wrong and am rusty with NWN builds.

Magiros

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 22 2019, 20:25 PM 

Developer

I tested and I think the Edlricth Knight gave your marial weapons and armor wearing feats.. Plus Shield. So I would totally pull out 29 wizard / EK.

Dark Immolation

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 25 2019, 20:54 PM 

Tester

Nivo wrote:
If I read this correctly, Eldritch Knight does not grant any armor proficiency? Meaning a third class or feats will be needed to be able to wear any armor?

There are many pitfalls with the EK class, put forward as it is. A third class would indeed be needed, unless someone wants to manually spend their feats on two proficiencies and however many armor feats they need/want. The only builds that can avoid taking a third class would be Elven, and they'd still have the armor issue mentioned.

I sent an alternative idea to the Devs and a few fellow gish players a while ago. I'm not sure how far in the pipeline it got, but I guess it could be posted for general feedback as well.

Magiros wrote:
I tested and I think the Edlricth Knight gave your marial weapons and armor wearing feats.. Plus Shield.

If that's the case, it looks like the info needs updating.

Raif

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 27 2019, 1:33 AM 

Player

Prereqs like power attack, dodge are limiting the end build by having to dip into dex or str against your base type and make them less appealing and effective. With the functionality of EE i would hope to see things like these removed not further implemented on new and creative pathways.

Two weapon fighter, DwD, Defender, i would love to see them have the flexibility for full focus on either STR or DEX based concepts from the get go at character creation.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 28 2019, 4:59 AM 

Administrative Developer

Updated the list. I added in the Path of Enlightment class. It is an epic monk PRC.

I have been going back and forth bug testing and making sure everything is working. So far its going well.

Galenson

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 30 2019, 10:15 AM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

I saw some of the bonuses for path of enlightenment and was like "wow, these are powerful..."

Then I saw the epic monk requirement and it all levelled out.

- Jhaeliria D'Vilrath: The Twisting Witch. Noble Daughter of House Vilrath, and gifted Illusionist

- The Scholar: Malignancy of the mind, corrupter of the spirit. The Great Game Changer

- Jack Galenson: House MD of Amia, but grumpier

maglorine

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 01 2019, 2:25 AM 

Player

Question about rebuilds. If one has purposefully emulated one of these classes with other existing classes and have long standing RP around this emulation, will there be any sort of allowances made for rebuilding into the actual PRC?

In my case, I've played a Halfling War Sling Sniper for quite a while, including taking many/most of the feats that are now granted by the class itself. Thanks.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 01 2019, 4:56 AM 

Administrative Developer

I could be mistaken, but we allow so many free rebuilds now. You could use that and since you are already emulating the PRC we wouldn't require any follow up RP.

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 04 2019, 18:05 PM 

Player

I really like the field medicus class as a concept, but mechanically it seems a bit underwhelming.

I want to start of by saying I think this class could match well with a paladin who wants to take on a more supportive role, or a bard instead of using Knight Commander. I am sure there are other builds as well that could make good use of this class, but it fills a very narrow niche. The field medic has many surface level similarities to the Knight Commander, except that you don't need charisma to take advantage of the field medicus.

I can't help but make that comparison between KC (Knight Commander) and FM (Field Medicus), because they are both 5 lvl classes that serve as front line support classes, and I think KC will be the better in most cases, it's bonuses are more bombastic and impact-full while FM's bonuses are more subtle. The KC also covers the main draw (in my opinion) to the FM, if I understand the Medicant aura correctly, which gives a +5 heal skill per charisma modifier and caps at +25 heal, same as the FM's +25 healing kits. The KC's aura is still better because not only is it granted to those around you, but you can use the healing aura with a +10 healing kit, giving you a total bonus of +35 to the heal skill.

So because charisma based classes (paladin, bard, cleric) can make better use of going KC, then we are left with a very narrow pool of builds that would want to go FM (want to being the operative words).

You also have FM's Combat Bandage ability to consider. First of is the up to +5 regen (if you're willing to gear for enough wisdom), it's a nice bonus but nothing to drool over. Regen is always nice to have, but in my opinion it's never necessary. Then there is the constant +3 uni, as well as the free bonus feats to saves. I don't want to underestimate the value of saves but if saves were as important as some people make them out to be, then more people would be playing monk. Third part is the temporary HP, and again it's a nice bonus to have, but again it's also one you can make do without.

I am sorry if I come of as too harsh, because I really love the idea behind this subclass! But my overall impression is that the main features of the class are a bit underwhelming, and the bonus to saves added on top feel a bit like a band-aid solution to make up for it.

I have never made a class before, and I can imagine balancing them is hard, but here are a few suggestions that to me would make the class more appealing:

1) Raise the bab per level to 1. I imagine a field medic a bit like the modern medic that are in the thick of battle with the rest of their comrades, but have more specialized training in first aid. Therefore I imagine field medics to be in the thick of battle, only stopping to fight to treat their wounded.

2) Specialize the FM's Combat Bandage ability. I don't know if this makes much sense to explain IC as the class is meant to be a mundane healer, but maybe a weaker AoE heal instead of a normal heal?

Or maybe give the class different heal abilities instead of normal healing kits? For example they could toggle between different effects when using a healing kit.

For instance one mode could be when the FM uses a healing kit the target only gains half of the heal skill roll immidiately, but the remainder of the skill x2 is healed by a regeneration effect. Or the same as previously, but the remainder of the roll is gained as temp HP.

(Admittedly I don't know if these effects would be worth the scripting time going into them, but I am imagining a widget that eats a healing kit when used to heal someone for an alternative effect rather than the normal effect of the healing kit).

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 09 2019, 18:50 PM 

Player

May have put this in the wrong spot but here is a link to my thoughts on Cavalry, how it compares to everything else, and how it can be improved:

http://www.amiaworld.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91270&p=1466067#p1466067

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 10 2019, 19:55 PM 

Player

Also, if possible I would like to see a couple special horse model options added for pally/BG builds. Say if you have 16 pally you get the option for a white horse and for 16 BG you get a nightmare option. Just flavor, not mechanically different. All sizzle and no steak.

Kronox

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 12 2019, 18:16 PM 

Player

I, unsurprisingly, have been poring over the Path of Enlightenment pretty heavily. Most of these I enjoy. A few points for discussion:

Path of Shadows is really underwhelming for the Amia meta. Concealment and Freedom are lackluster when the main belt most Monks wear has Freedom on it, and consumables for both Freedom and even Improved Invisibility are both readily available. I enjoy the concept, but I would be saddened that a 5 level PrC be negated by the belt I'm likely wearing anyway, and somebody casting Improved Invisibility, or using a consumable item that doesn't even need UMD.

Suggestion: Instead of Freedom, give Defensive Roll. I know the purpose of Monk21 req is to cut down on some power options and other 5 level dips, but path of Shadow is the weakest of them and allowing a PRC to pick up Epic Dodge with otherwise no offensive capabilities is a fine alternative and still fits the flavor text of the class. Perhaps keep Freedom in there, maybe at 4, or Uncanny Dodge I.

Elementalist: Overall I love this one, and it is a great option for Dexterity Monks to get some decent damage. One of my favorite things about it is somewhat double edged and shared by the Iron Skin path. The lack of a 5th level capstone makes it viable to take a full 5 levels in another class and I don't have my arm twisted not to, as the other paths do. Should you go Monk/PoEElem/Fighter, you can have both 4 pre epic and still take one fighter in epic for Epic Weapon Spec which would outdamage the scaling of elementalist. Likewise you could grab 5 Shadowdancer for Epic Dodge at the cost of a little bit of damage. An extra sneak damage die, or even full MS progression. Which is fine and I love that flexibility, but some kind of capstone ability for Elementalist to dissuade that wouldn't be terrible.

Suggestion: Maybe one Elemental Bolt attack at 5th level? Or Flame Weapon SLA?

Life: I love this one. It's what I'll be taking on Kaha as it fits his aesthetic, playstyle, and character goals.

Iron Skin: Also love this. I don't even think this needs a capstone ability.

Anti-Magic: Serves its purpose excellently. Essentially 3 epic feats and a nice DR.

Pain: I haven't tested this in effect yet, and I feel it's difficult to because this path is not exactly one you should solo with. This is the epitome of "give me some support and I'll handle the rest" and I foresee this being fine, but reserve the right to change my mind once I can really see it in action.

ucfgoose

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:03 AM 

Player

Kronox wrote:
Said stuff

I agree. Nothing wrong with these ideas.

Maverick00053

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 13 2019, 15:01 PM 

Administrative Developer

I agree that path of mists is underwhelming.

I personally think Elementalist is fine. It is a ton of damage and a pretty straight trade levels for damage. If they only want to take 4 that is fine.

I can't add feats to these paths. The way it is built prevents it. It is all purely effects etc.

Galenson

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 14 2019, 12:17 PM 

Player

Location: Down Under, calculating your demise with blunt expressions.

Permanent 50% concealment, that can never be dispelled, is nothing to scoff at. Nor is permanent freedom that can never be dispelled.

Perhaps its not the Path of Mists that's at fault however. Improved invis is so readily available, that the server is balanced around the expectation of 50% concealment.

Maybe its improved invis that has to change? The duration, or the percentage of concealment.

- Jhaeliria D'Vilrath: The Twisting Witch. Noble Daughter of House Vilrath, and gifted Illusionist

- The Scholar: Malignancy of the mind, corrupter of the spirit. The Great Game Changer

- Jack Galenson: House MD of Amia, but grumpier