View unanswered posts | View active topics * FAQ    * Search
* Login 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 155  Next
Naivatkal

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 20 2014, 15:30 PM 

Player

Yeah I worded that wrong, meant that they have to give you a way out of PvP. Which literally could be 'fight us or be captured' or something.

Khasir :: From the East a storm is coming

Emerald Dawn

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 23 2014, 15:29 PM 

Player

When underwater and using Gills ring or the crab helm, how does one communicate? Can you talk underwater or use hand signals?

Sphinx

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 23 2014, 16:31 PM 

Player

Try talking to a friend when you're out swimming, both underwater. Sound doesn't really travel as smoothly as it does on dry land, even less so if you're wearing an obstructive crab pot on your head. Using hand signals would be more effective.

IronAngel

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 23 2014, 18:18 PM 

Player

Well, aquatic elves and other things that can naturally breathe underwater (as represented by Gills, probably) have no trouble discussing and casting spells with verbal components. Somehow, the vocal cords can produce sound even with water instead of air rushing through them. Faerûnian biology must be different. On the other hand, I imagine the Crab Helmet has a bubble of air inside it, so you could talk normally. Of course, how the water carries that sound is, like Sphinx said, another matter.

Ultimately, the empirical reality is that you can cast verbal spells and use bard song, so supposing that the magic items that allow underwater breathing also allow for verbal communication seems the best way to make sense of it. I do try to avoid the issue by keeping it to a minimum (but I won't pretend to make blub-blub sounds, either).

The guy that probably has sexual fantasies about masturbation. I mean, Iron, you're a bookworm nerd that even in your wildest escapism fantasies flee to the internet to play the role of another bookworm nerd? Come on!

Yossarin

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 23 2014, 18:32 PM 

Player

Assuming Gills and Crab Helmet function like Helm of Underwater Action...

Quote:
Helm of Underwater Action: The wearer of this helmet can see underwater. Drawing the small lenses in compartments on either side into position before the wearer’s eyes activates the visual properties of the helm, allowing her to see five times farther than water and light conditions would allow for normal human vision. (Weeds, obstructions, and the like block vision in the usual manner.) If the command word is spoken, the helm of underwater action creates a globe of air around the wearer’s head and maintains it until the command word is spoken again, enabling her to breathe freely.

Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, water breathing; Price 24,000 gp;Weight 3 lb.

...and actually use the functionality of the Water Breathing spell used to create the item....

Quote:
Water Breathing Transmutation
Level: Clr 3, Drd 3, Sor/Wiz 3, Water 3
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creatures touched
Duration: 2 hours/level; see text
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

[/b]The transmuted creatures can breathe water freely.[/b] Divide the duration evenly among all the creatures you touch.

The spell does not make creatures unable to breathe air.

Arcane Material Component: A short reed or piece of straw.

...then it stands to reason that the underwater combat rules apply where spellcasting is concerned.

Quote:
Spellcasting Underwater: Casting spells while submerged can be difficult for those who cannot breathe underwater. A creature that cannot breathe water must make a concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell underwater (this is in addition to the caster level check to successfully cast a fire spell underwater). Creatures that can breathe water are unaffected and can cast spells normally. Some spells might function differently underwater, subject to GM discretion.

You can see the critical question: am I breathing water, or am I breathing air? Is my head in a bubble, or do my lungs magically filter oxygen from the water? It seems easiest just to assume that no matter which it is, you still count as "breathing water" and can thus cast spells without problem, just as the module itself presents.

Murex

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 23 2014, 20:06 PM 

Player

So....can others hear your character speak while underwater? I don't think this got answered.

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 23 2014, 20:29 PM 

Player

You'd probably need to speak a bit louder or just outright shout to get the other people to hear you properly.

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 23 2014, 21:07 PM 

Player

It's commonly handled that you can speak and hear underwater.

LetumLux

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 25 2014, 1:00 AM 

Player

Richard_Edmund wrote:
You'd probably need to speak a bit louder or just outright shout to get the other people to hear you properly.

A combination of this and what Yoss posted about mechanics, I'd imagine. Or you could just learn Aquan, you landlubbing savages.

Cerpin Taxt

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 25 2014, 2:24 AM 

Player

LetumLux wrote:
Richard_Edmund wrote:

A combination of this and what Yoss posted about mechanics, I'd imagine. Or you could just learn Aquan, you landlubbing savages.

Whether she be of Auril, Umberlee, or the most foul Istishia, her words are there only to dissuade you from your path of holy purification and the cleansing fires of the Lord of Flames. The gods of the seas only exist to thrust you again and again against the structures of self improvement, wishing only to tear yourself and all others down, while demanding petty offerings to travel their waters. Be strong, young embers, avoid the seas, the oceans, the rivers, lakes, and streams. Pledge yourself to the Firelord and see your ambition burn away your imperfections, your suffering form you into an idealized man or woman, and your dedication to his holy light rewarded ten fold. Learn Ignan, not this tongue for fish and the drowned, and speak with the power and confidence of the primordial fire, even at the deepest depths. As for you, harlot, do not tempt the hand of the Lord of Flames. Repent and look upon the true path, lest you wish to see yourself an ashen memory.

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 25 2014, 15:04 PM 

Player

Can you put the head of one PC race on another? Like a human head on an half-orc PC.

Liz

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 25 2014, 15:07 PM 

Player

That's apparently not possible. You'd have to have build the head model twice and have two different versions of it in the head pack, one for each race. Which obviously is not viable. :)

Luckbringer

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 25 2014, 15:13 PM 

Player

Coolo, thanks!

GearsOfMadness

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 26 2014, 22:06 PM 

Player

Feel free to refer me to the right post and delete this one if it's answered before. (Pretty sure it is, but search tool didn't show it in a quick glance.)

Anyway, if our character wants to follow a deity that isn't present in the deity list, how do we go about that? Non-cleric in this case. Can something like Shar be used as a proxy for a darkness deity or is that a request thing?

Sephir Vezir: Luskan Soldier

Liz

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 26 2014, 22:21 PM 

Player

Mechanically speaking, if you're not going to be casting divine spells, it doesn't matter what you type into the "deity" field during character creation. Enter whatever name you like, or leave it blank; it has no bearing on anything.

Lore-wise, if the deity is especially odd, it's probably a good idea to nudge a DM with a heads-up, just to make sure the deity at least exists in the Amia setting. But there's been lots and lots of people playing devotees of gods that didn't make the cut into the deity system. Kara-turan gods, allegedly "dead" gods, gods that are just too obscure to have been mechanically represented. In my observation, special permission has only ever been needed if your character intends to try to draw divine spells from them.

Mr. Hackums

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 26 2014, 22:29 PM 

Player

Yep. Nothing's stopping you from believing in.. well, just about anything. But if you're going to draw divine powers, be it Divine Champion, Ranger, Druid, Cleric, Paladin, Blackguards (Depending on their pact), you'll need some kind of verification that a non-listed Deity would be able to grant those powers, and that will come from the staff.

GearsOfMadness

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 26 2014, 23:12 PM 

Player

Awesome. Yeah, I don't expect to get any kind of divine power from it. (The character in question /is/ a ranger, but not designed to cast spells from the ranger class. More woodsmen than divine.)

Last edited by GearsOfMadness on Sun, Jul 27 2014, 8:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Watt

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 26 2014, 23:38 PM 

Player

Speaking of dead gods, is Kiaransalee dead in Amia, or is she still alive?

Sphinx

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 26 2014, 23:43 PM 

Player

Still alive.

Rigela

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 26 2014, 23:59 PM 

Player

Yup. We run on 3rd edition so the spell plague and the like from 4th hasn't happened here (so take stuff on FR wiki with a grain of salt!)

GearsOfMadness

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 27 2014, 9:01 AM 

Player

A second question!

When it comes to monk abilities like Weakening Touch and the like, how are those able to be roleplayed out?

IE, can I have a character using the large spiked shield (which he uses in combat as a weapon) reach and touch the target?

DerkDerkistan

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 27 2014, 13:09 PM 

Player

It's been a long time since I looked at it, but doesn't any armor/shield disable monk abilities?

Sphinx

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 27 2014, 14:03 PM 

Player

DerkDerkistan wrote:
It's been a long time since I looked at it, but doesn't any armor/shield disable monk abilities?

Any shields and all armours other than clothes. Speed, all special AC and unarmed bonuses are gone-- but you still have your immunities, feats and spell resistance. So you can still use Stunning Fists and Amia specific custom abilities, if that was your question.

DerkDerkistan

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 27 2014, 14:23 PM 

Player

Sphinx wrote:
DerkDerkistan wrote:

Any shields and all armours other than clothes. Speed, all special AC and unarmed bonuses are gone-- but you still have your immunities, feats and spell resistance. So you can still use Stunning Fists and Amia specific custom abilities, if that was your question.

It was my unsure question that was meant to possibly answer Gears' question above me. But since I was wrong, ignore me!

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 27 2014, 18:14 PM 

Player

Are there 'Pearl of the Desert' rings for Constitution? I have seen STR/DEX/INT/WIS/CHA but never CON. I'm going to assume not, but you never know.

LetumLux

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 27 2014, 18:22 PM 

Player

GearsOfMadness wrote:
When it comes to monk abilities like Weakening Touch and the like, how are those able to be roleplayed out?

IE, can I have a character using the large spiked shield (which he uses in combat as a weapon) reach and touch the target?

As far as I know, there isn't any standard way for this, and it's up for you to decide if it's just a gentle touch that happens to disrupt the Ki of your target, or if it's a more aggressive strike to a pressure point, or whatever other way you might want to RP it. If the technique can be used while armed, then it should be able to be delivered via your weapon or shield, or while holding your weapon or shield. (Although I honestly don't know which techniques can be used while not unarmed.)

serbiris

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 27 2014, 18:24 PM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:
Are there 'Pearl of the Desert' rings for Constitution? I have seen STR/DEX/INT/WIS/CHA but never CON. I'm going to assume not, but you never know.

I very much doubt it. No base class really has a primary ability of constitution - it's pretty much strictly a defensive ability score. Even barbarians are presumably relying on strength first.

@Thanatopsis#6293

LetumLux

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 28 2014, 0:58 AM 

Player

About a year ago when I was playing before, I had a boss drop Gloves of the Hin Fist +6, but they had 1d6 Sonic damage instead of 2d6. I forget if I asked about this before, but I was curious if that was somehow a fluke, or if they had been accidentally been made weaker than the other +6 monk gloves? (Which I notice has since been amended if so, as I just finally got around to trading for the full 2d6 version of them! Yay)

Manarethan

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:25 AM 

Player

I'm pretty sure those gloves were an oddity in the system. As I recall, all the monk gloves were 2d6 except those with no apparent reason. But yeah, they're meant to be 2d6 so if anyone still has 1d6 gloves I would suggest requesting they be swapped out.

As for the Pearl of the Desert CON ring, I can't say for sure but I'm pretty certain they don't exist. They -might- be available for Barbarians? But I don't think so.

In regards to Weakening Touch, I'm happy to leave the specific fluff of the ability up to the players. I don't see a reason why a spiked shield couldn't be used to apply the effect, so long as you came up with a reasonable explanation for it to do so. I'm fairly certain all those monk techniques can be used while armed anyway.

LetumLux

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:35 AM 

Player

Manarethan wrote:
I'm pretty sure those gloves were an oddity in the system. As I recall, all the monk gloves were 2d6 except those with no apparent reason. But yeah, they're meant to be 2d6 so if anyone still has 1d6 gloves I would suggest requesting they be swapped out.

I should have asked before doing that trade! Hahaha. Thanks for the reply! /goes to make a request

Liz

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 28 2014, 7:24 AM 

Player

I swear I've seen this addressed elsewhere before, but searching on "familiar reskin" returns too many results to be useful. :) So...

What are the limits of the appearance of a reskinned familiar? If reskinned to a human/elf/hin/whatever, can it be given a dynamic model and have its colors and clothing adjusted?

EDIT: Never mind, move along, nothing to see here. I stumbled on my answer elsewhere. :)

Shadowfiend

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 31 2014, 21:40 PM 

Player

Is there an autokicking system now, or is it just me dc'ing because my internet sucks (it does)?

Opustus

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 31 2014, 21:58 PM 

Developer

I play a character who would love to wear the Ring of Torm or Tyr because those babies are awesome. From an RP point of view the explanation would be the same, short and sweet, but sadly he doesn't match the OOC requirement. The reason I'm asking, although my common sense tingles me to just put it on and fuck the police, is because I know better and I don't want to get my face chewed off. So, do I have to believe in your nonsense?

-Kendrick Lamar, good kid

Rigela

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 31 2014, 22:24 PM 

Player

Wat.

The only 'occ restricted items' are the arcane archer arrows, which say it. Everything else is free game now.

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 31 2014, 23:43 PM 

Player

Deity rings still have the ooc restriction message on them.

Manarethan

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 01 2014, 0:14 AM 

Player

Can't really do anything about that, deity rings work on a very weird drop system from what I understand. The OOC restrictions don't apply to them though.

Opustus

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 01 2014, 0:29 AM 

Developer

Huzzah!

Richard_Edmund

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 01 2014, 11:51 AM 

Player

But you probably would get punished if you're a Paladin wearing a ring of an evil god. :lol:

If you're caught, that is. 8)

Discord: Bhaalorian#5715

Dunecat

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 01 2014, 12:36 PM 

Player

Manarethan wrote:
As for the Pearl of the Desert CON ring, I can't say for sure but I'm pretty certain they don't exist. They -might- be available for Barbarians? But I don't think so..

My (multiclass) barbarian received STR ring, therefore it's safe to assume there is no class receiving CON one.

Opustus

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 01 2014, 13:42 PM 

Developer

Richard_Edmund wrote:
But you probably would get punished if you're a Paladin wearing a ring of an evil god. :lol:

If you're caught, that is. 8)

Shh, tell no-one.

Murex

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 01 2014, 16:28 PM 

Player

So, deity rings channel power from specific gods like a cleric casts spells? Are they different than other magic items in this way?

Liz

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 01 2014, 16:32 PM 

Player

No, they're just themed magic items, like any other. The only reason a paladin might get in trouble for wearing one is if her paladin friends caught her wearing the symbol of some dark god. "Whoa, dude.... what's up with *that*?!" There's not any mystical divine punishment in store.

Liz

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 01 2014, 16:47 PM 

Player

Addendum! Also this.

Kotomine

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 01 2014, 18:23 PM 

Player

I have a blackguard and I wonder about the aura of despair

Automatically-Given Feats:
These feats are gained automatically upon leveling and are usable once per day.

Aura of Despair
Starting at 3rd level, the blackguard radiates a malign aura that causes enemies within 10 feet to take a -2 penalty on all saving throws. This is a permanent effect that cannot be dispelled and does not have any accompanying VFX.

I have not got any feat as such....

HorkTheOrk

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 01 2014, 22:56 PM 

Player

I was wondering if with DCs is it possible to have a custom Barbarian Rage?

Available RP Times : Weekdays [4:30 PM - 10:30 PM]
Weekends [10:00 AM - whenever.]
[/ac]

Monkey Business

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 02 2014, 0:11 AM 

Player

Is there any plan to remove the gain gold from DC usage and to up the exp gained from DCs? That way instead of using 100 to go from 2->30 you can use say 28 instead, so they just give a flat level instead of having people grind for levels that they don't wish to?

Naivatkal

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 02 2014, 0:23 AM 

Player

Last I saw it discussed the answer was more like slightly upping the XP received from DC-burning.

Removing gold from DC burning has absolutely no affect of giving more XP, because XP is more valuable in that exchange. You will never see a 1 DC = 1 level exchange (and likely never even 2 DC = 1 level [that's the DC rebuild conversion in any case], 3 for 1 is more reasonable) because there is absolutely no reason a PC should go from 2 to 30 in one day because the veteran player pumped all their DCs into leveling. That's also extremely unfair to new players. Yes, you can do it now anyways but it's far less unfair because it takes over 100 to fully level to 30 with DCs.

Frankly we should be happy we are allowed to burn DCs in this fashion, as doing so is entirely OOC leveling up. Your PC is doing absolutely nothing to get the XP, you are using OOC means in order to level.

Monkey Business

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 02 2014, 0:26 AM 

Player

Then introduce a experience gained through role-playing mechanic, since many aren't too keen on having to slay enemies in the thousands to gain levels. Anything that lowers the amount of time spent grinding for experience can only help the server, since the rewards are still there in monetary value for those that wish to hunt, while those whom rather be in the "end-game" tier can partake in events, storylines, etc, with other, established characters. Then there's the bonus of actually gaining both if you "RP hunt".

Frankly we should be happy we are allowed to burn DCs in this fashion, as doing so is entirely OOC leveling up. Your PC is doing absolutely nothing to get the XP, you are using OOC means in order to level.

I usually consider it a divine blessing, since it's the closest thing that makes sense of miraculously gaining elevation to a new power threshold or the miracle of gold appearing within your belongings after praying for wealth.

Cerpin Taxt

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 02 2014, 0:30 AM 

Player

Naivatkal wrote:

Because killing a level 30 dragon for 200 xp is completely in character and reasonable.

Manarethan

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 02 2014, 0:31 AM 

Player

There is a system by which you can gain XP without having to hunt. It's the Job System.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 155  Next